Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
AMajor

Simple question, is the Black worth the Steel?

8 comments in this topic

[DBM]
Members
442 posts
6,094 battles

Radar in a T9 dd could be very useful.  Don't need her to help grind my USN dd captains (my T8-10 USN dds all have 19 pt captains) so I can't use that as an excuse.  Have the steel, but it's a big buy.

What do you all think?

Beta Testers
12 posts
3,113 battles

Its a Fletcher with the novelty of having a Radar. She excels at hunting other DD's but I would caution that sometimes the Radar will get you killed if your not careful, you're probably not going to win a gunfight with a radar cruiser if you push in to hard. She sees a lot of play in competitive, but shes one of those ships that will take the average player some time to adjust too.

Members
1,691 posts
8,495 battles

Belfast is cruiser that has been discontinued because it’s ability to use radar and smoke is OP. While Belfast also does have a hydro, she also trades torpedoes and a heal from the tech tree version. 

Black has torpedos and heals are uncommon among destroyers even at that tier. Black can also stealth radar. Some baDDies will complain that her torpedoes are slow. They fail realize that they are also stealthy enough to be basically impossible to torpedo beat around. If you can anticipate a targets movements (and Black is a ship that is great for picking up the skill) then the slowness isn’t that big an issue. 

And it’s cheaper than the competition.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
11,391 posts
16,785 battles
24 minutes ago, Wows_Nightly_News said:

Some baDDies will complain that her torpedoes are slow.

Doesn't Black have the same torps as Sims?

[VW]
Members
2,927 posts
15,469 battles

She was good before the cv fiasco. Now i dont know if her aa is good enough. Clearly having radar in the context where all ships are spotted by cv planes is less of a benefit that it was prior.

[SIM]
Members
3,834 posts
6,404 battles

The Black is an amazing support DD that can be a damned terror if you can sort out her torpedoes. Even after the rise of CVs, she's treated me well.

Members
1,957 posts
10,377 battles

Hey

I personally don't have it and would not get it.  Back in the day before 1/2 the ships had radar, she was one of only a few that had radar making it very potent; but in todays meta of radar everywhere, CV's that keep rocketing you to death, then why bother.  There are much better guns boats, much better torp boats, better DD's all around at T9, some with very good hydro even.  I would look at another candidate personally that fits better in todays messy meta.

Pete

Sign in to follow this