Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Midshipman_Hornblower

Epic Success...or Epic Failure?

4 comments in this topic

[TORCH]
Members
197 posts
8,380 battles

Just gotta share this one.

It's Friday night, and I'm out cruisin' main street in my Omaha.  Just had one of those games that you don't forget for awhile.  It was a pretty close game all the way.  Close, but the reds seemed always to be a little ahead.  5 minutes to go, and each team has 4 ships left, with reds ahead by points.  3 minutes to go...friendly BB and DD die, leaving our CV and my Omaha, facing red CV, 2 BBs, and a CL.  Reds are ahead by something like 100 points.  Things look bleak.  2:30 to go...I manage to isolate and kill one of the BBs.  I won the fight, but he hurt me; I'm down to - I forget - something like 1500 HP.  The other BB and the CL are behind some islands, but look to be heading for our CV.  About the 2 minute mark, red CL emerges from behind island, and sure enough, he's charging towards our CV, with a bone in his teeth and evil in his heart.  He apparently didn't know I was there, or he probably wouldn't have shown so much broadside...and might have had his guns facing ME, instead of the CV.  My guns were facing HIM (evil chuckle). There's a fast gunfight.  I emerge from the fight with 414 HP remaining.  He emerges dead.  Game nearly over, and reds are still ahead.  With 414 HP remaining, I figure my ONLY chance against that last BB is torpedoes.  If I have any chance at all.  So...charge.  Managed to keep the island between us just long enough to get to max torpedo range (for Omaha, that's suicidally close - only 5.5 klicks).  He emerges from behind island, I empty my tubes, then start shooting.  5 seconds left.  BB fires MB salvo at near point blank range.  Every...shot...misses!!!!!!!  4 seconds left.  Torpedoes hit, BB dies, coincidentally earning me a Kraken.  Home team takes the lead, probably for the first time in the game.  3 seconds left.  Red CV's attack planes fire rockets.  2 seconds left.  Rockets hit; I die.  2 seconds later, game ends in a draw.

I felt pretty good about all this.  Ok, it wasn't a win, but I managed to convert what looked like a sure loss for my team into a draw.  The Kraken certainly helped lighten my mood.

Then, I watched the replay.

I saw SO MANY places where, had I played just a little bit better, it might have made all the difference.  Most glaring example was right at the end.  Yeah, ok, I was pretty busy dealing with that last BB, but I DID see the planes approaching on the mini-map.  And yeah, Omaha has miserable AA (I'm running the B hull), but why, oh why, didn't I take a second to launch my catapult fighter?????

• Cool 4

[REEF]
Beta Testers
858 posts
9,524 battles

Any time you learn, it is an EPIC SUCCESS!!  :Smile_honoring:

Congratulations on what sounded to be a GREAT and exciting game!  :Smile_playing:

[CUTER]
Members
2,858 posts
12,043 battles

Just had these ranked games tonight.

The Z52 game was down less than two minutes or lose the game twice and we managed to bring it back despite being down multiple ships at one point.

The Daring game was just going crazy trying to hold back the enemy.  There were some real questionable decisions made by some teammates that gave the game to the enemy.

shot-19.06.22_00.49.13-0088.jpg

shot-19.06.22_00.53.58-0423.jpg

shot-19.06.22_02.08.41-0036.jpg

shot-19.06.22_02.11.00-0258.jpg

Edited by Destroyer_KuroshioKai

[TORCH]
Members
197 posts
8,380 battles

Wow.  I'm not a DD player (if I'm driving a DD, you don't want me on your team...you want me on the OTHER team...just trust me on this).  But I can identify with your Daring game.  I mean, I only dream of 217K damage, but I HAVE played a few games where I felt I had done really well, personally, but no matter how well I played, it just didn't seem to matter.  We were just going to loose.

But congrats on both games.  Looks like they were exciting.  Hey, WG, I don't know how to do it, but if you can figure it out, bring us more of these!

Sign in to follow this