You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
gamer_60

Seattle: Skip or play?

40 comments in this topic

Members
14 posts
584 battles

As the title mentions should I skip or play the Seattle. I got the B hull researched and am sitting on 100k fxp. I am thinking of grinding out more fxp and skipping to the Worcester. I’m just curious what people think of the Seattle. I’ve heard it feels a lot worse than the Cleveland. Thoughts?

[WOLF5]
Beta Testers
453 posts
3,033 battles

Don't know the ship but i do know that you never know if YOU will like a thing unless you at least try it, other people are not always a good indicator of whats good or not. Play it and see how you like it then decide if you want to skip it or keep on saving the Exp. I try to at least earn half of the next ships exp upgrade cost unless its a truly woeful experience.

Beta Testers
12 posts
3,125 battles

Its a decent ship in the right hands. She does struggle to shine a bit, mostly because shes stuck in between the Cleveland and Worcester which both have reputations behind them. Should only skip her, if you don't enjoy her. But I mean shes not much different to the Cleveland, its more of the same. At a higher tier.

Members
2,436 posts
10,179 battles

Reasons to play it:

1. Itll make you a better USN CL player

2. By the end of it, you should be able to effectively use terrain to your advantage

3. You will have more practice with the floatiest shells. Should make using other ships shells velocities/trajectories easier.

4. Youll save FXP, which you can later use on a FXP ship.

Reasons not to play it:

1. Yah by most peoples estimations it's worse or even with the Cleveland.

2. Saves time, and possible frustration

Edit: My personal experience with the ship. I played it all the way through. Had no issues, just played like a Cleveland and eventually the Rooster.

Edited by Octavian_of_Roma
  • Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,908 posts
12,228 battles

Skip.

It's not fun, that's all the real reason you need.

If you need more reason, it's because Seattle is a floating piece of rubbish. She has no redeeming qualities, offers no new gameplay beyond being 'Cleveland, only worse' provides no real stepping stone to Worcester (playing unlike Worcs or Cleve) and is generally a poorly designed waste of breath.

[WOLF1]
Members
2,700 posts

imho it's the 2nd worst t9 CL (first is neptune), but i don't think it's worth it to fxp it, worcester is the same thing, if you don't like seattle you most likely won't like worcester, so why bother and waste fxp

• Funny 1

[RLGN]
Members
11,240 posts
20,260 battles
25 minutes ago, mofton said:

Seattle is a floating piece of rubbish. She has no redeeming qualities...

They say similar things about Buffalo, yet I like Buffalo more than I do my Des Moines. (But weirdly, not as much as my Salem.)

[NSC]
Members
1,198 posts

@gamer_60 I'm seeing some say skip and I am sure many more will say skip. In fact, I'm sure >50% would say skip. I recommend against that and would tell you to grind out the Seattle. I know this isn't a popular opinion. However, Seattle taught me more about positioning than any other boat (I haven't really played the RN CLs yet). This is valuable experience. At first, I was losing most of my battles. As time goes on, you will start winning and enjoying the Seattle. Today, I have the Worcester. Yet, I still keep the Seattle in the port. It has become a ship I do enjoy.

[SIDE]
Members
2,551 posts
51 minutes ago, gamer_60 said:

As the title mentions should I skip or play the Seattle. I got the B hull researched and am sitting on 100k fxp. I am thinking of grinding out more fxp and skipping to the Worcester. I’m just curious what people think of the Seattle. I’ve heard it feels a lot worse than the Cleveland. Thoughts?

It’s a beast. Give it more than a dozen matches. Play it all the way thru. I had a blast with that ship. Will make you a better Wooster captain.

[WOLF2]
Members
115 posts
6,883 battles
50 minutes ago, gamer_60 said:

It is a Cleveland that has access to a heal and upgrade slot 6 (more than likely longer range) but trades maneuverability, slightly worse matchmaking (you will see a few more t10 matches), and worse rear firing arcs (this is actually pretty painful).  I did grind through Seattle but I never FXP ships.  As for using it to get you ready for Wooster.  I am not sure about that.  Seattle and Wooster have enough differences where the play is fairly unique.  I did not really enjoy Seattle but Wooster is lots of fun.  Since you already have the B hull and, for me, the stock grind was the worst, I would suggest just plowing through it.  It took me a total of 63 battles using flags but without premium time.  If you have premium it should take you less than 50 battles.  

[EQRN]
Members
1,318 posts
12,246 battles

I did pretty well with her using Ranked to grind through.  Went pretty quick, was fun, and effective.

[WOLFA]
Members
183 posts
17,038 battles

Average player, bad luck on WR but decent avg dmg after all. Its not easy to play but its a good ship Imho. gl

shot-19_06.22_01_00.56-0933.thumb.jpg.5f6a8ce54a0dd294224885d2b9a134b5.jpg

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,521 posts
12,810 battles

Seattle's not /that/ bad.  I wouldnt call her good, but I enjoyed her more than Roon, which I can't be bothered to finish.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
21,245 posts
19,617 battles

The only 2 real positives Seattle has over Cleveland is that as a Tier IX Cruiser, she accesses Repair Party, and this is where the AA reaches further out and is quite nasty.  The 152mm DP guns are the heart of her AA prowess.

Even your turret traverse gets worse in Seattle compared to Cleveland.

That said with only 100k FreeXP, just grind it out.  A possibility is using the FreeXP to research the modules so you're not starting the grind as a stock ship.  Stock Tier IX grinds suck real back.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,556 posts
10,704 battles

it is a great ship when played right. If you play like the average Cleveland then you will hate it.

Members
20 posts
14,363 battles

IMHO the Seattle is probably the worst T9, weak guns, no armor. If you imagine a Neptune with less armor and no torps thats it. It is the only T9 I have that won't see the next ranked. The grind through it is painful.

[HRVAT]
[HRVAT]
Members
949 posts
7,741 battles

Someone just post this yesterday so I will say what I say yesterday.

I love this ship.

On 6/21/2019 at 10:36 PM, Octavian_of_Roma said:

Reasons to play it:

1. Itll make you a better USN CL player

2. By the end of it, you should be able to effectively use terrain to your advantage

3. You will have more practice with the floatiest shells. Should make using other ships shells velocities/trajectories easier.

4. Youll save FXP, which you can later use on a FXP ship.

Reasons not to play it:

1. Yah by most peoples estimations it's worse or even with the Cleveland.

2. Saves time, and possible frustration

Edit: My personal experience with the ship. I played it all the way through. Had no issues, just played like a Cleveland and eventually the Rooster.

This person get it right.

[TARK]
Members
3,319 posts
1,433 battles
On 6/21/2019 at 10:23 PM, gamer_60 said:

Never skip a ship. That's just skipping the game.

[HRVAT]
[HRVAT]
Members
949 posts
7,741 battles
Members
630 posts
6,746 battles
On 6/21/2019 at 10:23 PM, gamer_60 said:

...and you do need using IFHE that could be nerfed very soon. I would wait and see what happens with the Seattle in that case...