You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gneisenau013

Philippine Sea Friday - Choose your Side

69 comments in this topic

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
1,375 posts
7,826 battles

Image result for great marianas turkey shoot

*An F6F Hellcat from Fighting Squadron 16 (VF-16) on final approach onto USS Lexington (CV-16) in the Philippine Sea on June 20, 1944*

Are you participating the Battle of the Philippine Sea and which side are you joining?

The battle was s decisive engagement between the Imperial Japanese Navy and the United States Navy which cemented the course of the War in the Pacific.

Whether you choose the USA or Japan, your efforts will not only contribute towards the the completion of a mission but the Admiral also has rewards that await a victorious campaign.

USA or Japan, which side do you choose when you set sail for the Battle of the Philippine Sea?

"One's judgment is best when he can forget themselves and any reputation they may have acquired and can concentrate wholly on making the right decisions." - Raymond Spruance, U.S. Navy

#philippineseafriday

#anchorsaweigh

[WORX]
Members
5,036 posts
15,593 battles

I pick Japan, if it wasn't for mismanagement (on our side) and the  US CVs along with the backing of the enslavement of the might of the military industrial complex.

Hawaii and California would be under Japanese control...

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Cool 2
  • Funny 2
  • Confused 2
  • Boring 1

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
1,375 posts
7,826 battles
16 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

I pick Japan, if it wasn't for mismanagement (on our side) and the  US CVs along with the backing of the enslavement of the might of the military industrial complex.

Have you seen "Man in the High Castle"? It's an eerie look at what you just mentioned.

I also picked Japan as I look at it as a challenge to hit the higher thresholds for greater rewards.

Good luck in battle!

#anchorsaweigh

[AK-49]
[AK-49]
Members
217 posts
4,242 battles

I went IJN

• Cool 1

[CRF]
Members
378 posts
6,110 battles
1 hour ago, Gneisenau013 said:

Have you seen "Man in the High Castle"? It's an eerie look at what you just mentioned.

I also picked Japan as I look at it as a challenge to hit the higher thresholds for greater rewards.

Good luck in battle!

#anchorsaweigh

Show was quite interesting, especially in the later episodes where Japan begins to question what the German side is doing.  Didn't really watch much beyond the first two episodes, but looked in occasionally.  For some reason, I just don't have much time to watch TV (thanks WG...)  Tho it's odd in the scenes depicted that you see the Yammy, but also the flight deck of a more modern helo carrier, and it's a Russian helo that lands on the deck of the Yammy...

I picked USN just because - little hope of getting the base xp for the USN threshold (highest I've gotten is 690 I think - Co-op play), let alone the IJN level.  But, it's a good contest anyway...a bit of a challenge.

Edited by sonoasailor
  • Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
21,339 posts
11,846 battles

I picked the US because those are the ships I play the most in the tier range already.

• Cool 2

[WOLF2]
Alpha Tester
2,398 posts
7,872 battles

Likely will go USN as the 750 xp threshold is achievable with my level of skill. Plus I lack fun to play IJN ships whereas I am still grinding Dallas and enjoy whipping out my New Mex on occasion. 

• Cool 1

[WDS]
Members
1,780 posts
8,959 battles
19 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

I picked the US because those are the ships I play the most in the tier range already.

Same US !!!!!

• Cool 2

Alpha Tester
6,006 posts
2,897 battles

There's only one right answer to this question.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,521 posts
12,810 battles

went usn because there are more ships I will play than there are IJN ships.  How about some IJN premium cruisers, WG?

• Cool 1

[Y0L0]
Members
9,872 posts
13,704 battles

so, there is no progress bar for this event?       can't seem to find them

[GOB]
Members
659 posts
3 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

Just WOW!   And IF my Grandma had wheels she would be a wagon.  IF a fish could breath air we could catch them in SOX.  That makes as much sense as this post.    I didn't think they allowed blatant political posts here in the first place.  Maybe because this one is so out of this reality it doesn't count?

• Confused 2

[WORX]
Members
5,036 posts
15,593 battles
3 minutes ago, Col_Nasty said:

allowed blatant political posts here in the first place.

Whats political about it ? By all means explain..

[WOLF5]
Members
817 posts
9,071 battles
4 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

Maybe Hawaii,,for a short period of time. Japan never had a fighting chance against the U.S . In fact, attacking Pearl Harbour was a strategic suicide. Tactical victory, but still a suicide.  Had they turn against the european territories and Russia, the U.S might have never joined the war.. Japan would have a good chance to keep most conquered  territories and settle things with a negotiated piece offer to the U.S.... Not to mention,attacking russia when she was on her knees already, fighting the nazis  ,,could just as well end the war.....with the nazis winning............ So mankind actually have to thanks the imperial japanese for their brave, but stupid attack on the U.S pacific fleet...... 

• Cool 2

Alpha Tester
6,006 posts
2,897 battles
11 minutes ago, VonSmallHausenn said:

Maybe Hawaii,,for a short period of time. Japan never had a fighting chance against the U.S . In fact, attacking Pearl Harbour was a strategic suicide. Tactical victory, but still a suicide.  Had they turn against the european territories and Russia, the U.S might have never joined the war.. Japan would have a good chance to keep most conquered  territories and settle things with a negotiated piece offer to the U.S.... Not to mention,attacking russia when she was on her knees already, fighting the nazis  ,,could just as well end the war.....with the nazis winning............ So mankind actually have to thanks the imperial japanese for their brave, but stupid attack on the U.S pacific fleet...... 

Yamamoto said it himself. "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve." Japan sealed its own fate the minute the first bombs dropped on Pearl Harbour, just like how the Germans sealed theirs the minute Operation Barbarossa began. They simply couldn't compete with the two most powerful war machines on the planet.

And before you say that the quote is just from Tora Tora Tora, I also read it in Last Stand Of the Tin Can Sailors by James Hornfischer.

• Cool 4

[WORX]
Members
5,036 posts
15,593 battles
4 minutes ago, VonSmallHausenn said:

Japan never had a fighting chance against the U.S . In fact, attacking Pearl Harbour was a strategic suicide. Tactical victory, but still a suicide.  Had they turn against the european territories and Russia, the U.S might have never joined the war.. Japan would have a good chance to keep most conquered  territories and settle things with a negotiated piece offer to the U.S.... Not to mention,attacking russia when she was on her knees already, fighting the nazis  ,,could just as well end the war.....with the nazis winning............ So mankind actually have to thanks the imperial japanese for their brave, but stupid attack on the U.S pacific fleet...... 

I cant disagree with history nor what has been done....

I wanted to note, IF the IJN didn't suffer from mismanagement within the ranks (you can have great ships but horrible mgnt.destroys all hopes of winning).... Had the same military industrial complex might as the US, I would think Japan had a chance at Hawaii and California, granted the blood bath on both sides.

In the end, I tend to believe the rest of the world in the long established scouting report of the US. Create a long hard fight war with a lot of casualties and the Americans will not stomach war for long. 

World War two was an interesting time in world history.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[WORX]
Members
5,036 posts
15,593 battles
4 minutes ago, 1Sherman said:

And before you say that the quote is just from Tora Tora Tora,

My I add, it was also said in the Japanese movie Yamoto

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
7,526 posts
31 minutes ago, VonSmallHausenn said:

Pretty much exactly it.

"But if only..." regarding Japanese chances to win after Pearl Harbor... is the worst kind of jingoistic revisionism.  The Japanese lacked the manpower and logistical chain to take and hold anything on the US mainland, and as long as the US had the mainland, it was only a matter of time before the IJN and then Japan itself was simply buried under the industrial and numerical weight of the US.

[PHD]
Members
637 posts
2,904 battles
1 hour ago, crzyhawk said:

went usn because there are more ships I will play than there are IJN ships.  How about some IJN premium cruisers, WG?

Yep, Yubari and Atago are about it below tier 9. They have a work in progress tier V CL ,Yahagi. But it is going to need "work " six 6" guns with a rather slow reload 8 torpedoes  (I think) with bad firing arcs but maybe good speed, it will need to be able to run.

This event may ,in part, be trying to see how much interest there is in mid tiers, nation based battles and demand for mid IJN ships. 

An AA CA Maya would be interesting. It gives up C turret for two 127 mm twin DP guns  plus more 127DPs in other locations. But probably a Tier 8 though it would be nice at T7 if they ever thought about it. But I don't see it happening. I will be amazed if they make Yudachi decent. 

• Cool 2

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,521 posts
12,810 battles

Chokai at T7 and a CBT Myoko at T8 would be nice and easy for them

• Cool 1

[FML]
Members
2,862 posts
12,773 battles

I went USN: 

• I have more ships at the relevant tiers in USN than IJN;
  • The threshold to 'win' is easier; and
  • The additional rewards for being on the 'harder' IJN side arent sufficient to warrant the extra consternation. 

Having said that, stll want a close battle!

• Cool 2

[TDRB]
Members
2,981 posts
8,958 battles
3 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

Same here & of course I have more US ships in the T4 - T7 range.

• Cool 1