You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Wraithunter

Thinking about buying tier VIII Battleships.

37 comments in this topic

[F_T_W]
Beta Testers
48 posts
590 battles

Heya all, Capin Slothmckellen here, so I've been really thinking about it lately, and not sure what tier VIII Battleships to buy from the store. I know some cons and pros of them, but not in great detail, I was hoping if some of ye will help me out in my decision. I know its more what nation and what ship I like and want, but the problem is that I like all of them lol. So ye, if ye know the pros and cons, please, let me know. The ships I am thinking of getting is the 2 tier VIII USA BB's Alabama, Massachusetts, The Japanese Kii, The French Gascogne, &/or the USSR Lennin. I've been literally back n' forth for a week now between all of them, really thinking about it. Of course the Hood is in the back of my mind, would be a nice addition along side of the Bismarck, but its sadly tier VII lol.

• Confused 1

[ANZ4C]
Beta Testers
1,190 posts

It would help to know where you currently stand with researched and played tech tree BBs. I dont give a rats about how good you are in them, but since any recomendations will likely be along the lines of 'similar to XXXXX ship but with YYYY gimmick', it would help to know what you know?

I could have made that clearer, but its late in the AM here.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
1,752 posts
18,164 battles

Kii is a solid pick if you have either IJN BB or CA captains you want built up.  The US BBs Mass or Alabama are both good ships if you enjoy US BBs.  I don't find the Tirptiz that fun; but that's just me.  Roma, ehhhh....

[YORHA]
Members
4,272 posts
7,632 battles

I hope you enjoy getting deleted by Yamatos and Montanas because that is what tier VIII battles are now.

Edited by JCC45
  • Cool 4

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
8,814 posts
12,548 battles
29 minutes ago, Wraithunter said:

The ships I am thinking of getting is the 2 tier VIII USA BB's Alabama, Massachusetts, The Japanese Kii, The French Gascogne, &/or the USSR Lennin.

Hmm from that list I would look at Massachusetts with a dedicated secondary build commander. 

Not on the list though... Tirpitz!!!!! So good up tiers very well. 

After that do consider some of the tier 6 and 7 prem BB's Warspite and Scharnhorst are both really good.

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
1,977 posts
11,727 battles

What existing BB commanders do you have?

[WOLF7]
Members
12,193 posts

Personally I'd spend more time and learning the mechanics before you go throwing money at ships.

Premium ships aren't going to magically make you a better player, they'll simply prevent you from losing money while playing. 

• Cool 1

-Members-
1,640 posts
792 battles
57 minutes ago, Wraithunter said:

Heya all, Capin Slothmckellen here, so I've been really thinking about it lately, and not sure what tier VIII Battleships to buy from the store. I know some cons and pros of them, but not in great detail, I was hoping if some of ye will help me out in my decision. I know its more what nation and what ship I like and want, but the problem is that I like all of them lol. So ye, if ye know the pros and cons, please, let me know. The ships I am thinking of getting is the 2 tier VIII USA BB's Alabama, Massachusetts, The Japanese Kii, The French Gascogne, &/or the USSR Lennin. I've been literally back n' forth for a week now between all of them, really thinking about it. Of course the Hood is in the back of my mind, would be a nice addition along side of the Bismarck, but its sadly tier VII lol.

Hey Wraithunter,

A few questions to begin with:

1. What nation of ships do you like to play? Any preferences?
  2. How much experience do you have at tier VIII?
  3. What are you looking to get out of the Tier VIII premium, credits? Free XP?
  4. Are there any nation's captains you are looking to grind up?

The Alabama and the Massachusetts are both great choices, the Massachusetts is a secondary focused BB, while the Alabama is not.

The Lenin is a great BB if you want all your turrets in the front and to have a tanky bow. The ship is quite squishy on the sides.

Gascogne and Kii would probably be the lowest on my suggested list but they do have some strengths. Kii with torps and Gascogne is quite fast. 

• Cool 2

Members
7,307 posts
3,248 battles

Massachusettes is a solid BB. I've enjoyed it very much and it used my old NC secondary build captain, it's the only BB I can vouch for since it's the only premium BB I've played recently.

Members
64 posts
10,329 battles
Just now, 10T0nHammer said:

Massachusettes is a solid BB. I've enjoyed it very much and it used my old NC secondary build captain, it's the only BB I can vouch for since it's the only premium BB I've played recently.

Plus, you can generate a lot of XP with it when you do figure it out.

[GOB]
Members
659 posts

When I had so few games under my belt I bought a higher tier ship....bad decision... I then did the Tree grind to get there and it is ALL good!!  But if you are going to buy I would buy a Prem at the level you are currently doing well at because nothing is more frustrating than taking out your shiny new ship so it can get deleted by the people who know that tier well.

[YORHA]
Members
4,272 posts
7,632 battles
35 minutes ago, KnifeInUrNeck said:

Pick a T8 BB that can uptier well. I recommend Massachusetts. It’s got good dmg, secondaries, and AA. 

Agreed, but it's short range really cripples it against tier Xs (which is what it will mostly play against)..

[LOSC]
[LOSC]
Members
400 posts

I'm not as experienced as most of these folks but when I play my Massachusetts and it puts me in lvl 10 games (feels like 70% of the time)

I can hold my own for the most part.

You can't go by my stats as I am Spartan minded and have a tendency to overstep myself in battle but when I do at least that Massachusetts holds up.  

[TURD]
Members
155 posts
2,196 battles
2 hours ago, JCC45 said:

I hope you enjoy getting deleted by Yamatos and Montanas because that is what tier VIII battles are now.

HA!

There ARE no tier VIII battles! There's only Tier X battles with tier VIII boats sprinkled in for flavor!:Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1

Members
245 posts
6,367 battles

Tripitz is old school tier 8, secondaries, torpedoes,  turtle back armor, And sonar to write home about. You might want to check him out. 

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,655 posts

While I do agree with the others that the Mass is a GREAT BB, keep in mind that it requires a high point captain to make it work it's magic. That captain will be poorly suited for use in the actual US BB line.

It's one of my favorites but it requires it's own specialized and dedicated captain, which makes it a poor trainer.

[NMKJT]
Members
2,109 posts
5,929 battles

Massachusetts is probably the best in terms of overall effectiveness right now, though she does require some understanding of when to push in and how to position to make the most of your secondaries, if you're not top tier. If you're top tier...you're a monster. Alabama is like a MA with a more generalist setup. The others are all less good, though having Gascogne I can say she does nice flanking plays and can kite away from failed flanks (common now) very well.

For Roma...don't get her unless you are looking forward to a very hard climb or adore the ship intensely. Yes, even I am saying it now. The meta/player-environment and competition from newer lines has ruined her play experience.

Edited by MnemonScarlet

[A-D-F]
3,655 posts
3 hours ago, JCC45 said:

Your own stats don't really reflect that. The most games you have in a T10 BB is your Conqueror. You have a higher win rate in your T8 Mass than you do in your T10 Conq.

[WORX]
Members
5,036 posts
15,593 battles

Tier 8 and above BBs crosses a thresh hold that no other BBs in the other tiers cross.

Pick any upper tier BB, their performance is roughly the same, RU BBs get one extra citadel on target then the other BBs in the tier. So its your choice in what you what to play in

[WOLF9]
Members
10,229 posts
4,366 battles
4 hours ago, Wraithunter said:

Heya all, Capin Slothmckellen here,

Excuse me.  You have 400 games and an Arkie Beta !?! 

What's wrong with this picture?

[A-D-F]
3,655 posts
3 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Excuse me.  You have 400 games and an Arkie Beta !?! 

What's wrong with this picture?

We got them for being a part of the beta test.  He just hasn't played much since then.

Members
475 posts
4,517 battles

Oh yeah it’s also worth noting T8 and above German 2ndaries are getting a penetration buff which could make the Tirpitz even more fun. As far as BBs go it’s be my second pick with that buff.