You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
RedBarchetta3

Where to go at the beginning of a battle

9 comments in this topic

[DFNT]
Members
187 posts
3,719 battles

I'm almost embarrassed to ask this question, but I've been on a steep downhill slide for several weeks, I obviously need help. After looking at some of my games I know that being out of position at the beginning of the battle is a big part of my problem. I'm either getting deleted early or I'm positioned in the wrong area of the map to be an effective contributor to my team later in the game.

How are people determining where to go during the first 2-3 minutes of the battle? I only play BBs and CAs.  I watch the mini-map, but maybe I'm using it wrong. I know there are probably an infinite number of scenarios, but some of you seem to have a knack for where to go.  I think it's a part of what separates a unicum from schmos like me.

This seems to be one of the biggest gripes in game chat, yet there doesn't seem to be any guides or YouTube videos explaining this. 

Edited by RedBarchetta3
  • Cool 1

[PN]
[PN]
Beta Testers
7,066 posts
17,206 battles

Towards the enemy side of the map.

• Boring 1
  • Angry 1

[A-O]
Members
681 posts
6,764 battles
1 hour ago, RedBarchetta3 said:

I'm almost embarrassed to ask this question...

I think it is an excellent question!

Obviously dependent on map, team mates and what ship you bring but one thing I try to remind myself off all the time... in a slow BB avoid the flanks.

If you happen to pick the side where there are only 1 or 2 reds your fast DDs will kill them before your longing eyes of course. Now you find yourself 10 minutes into battle without a shot fired and all the action is out of reach for the armed bathtub you rode into battle :-)

Edited by freggo
spelling fix
  • Cool 1

[ADPT2]
[ADPT2]
Members
883 posts
2,502 battles
2 hours ago, RedBarchetta3 said:

I'm almost embarrassed to ask this question, but I've been on a steep downhill slide for several weeks, I obviously need help. After looking at some of my games I know that being out of position at the beginning of the battle is a big part of my problem. I'm either getting deleted early or I'm positioned in the wrong area of the map to be an effective contributor to my team later in the game.

How are people determining where to go during the first 2-3 minutes of the battle? I only play BBs and CAs.  I watch the mini-map, but maybe I'm using it wrong. I know there are probably an infinite number of scenarios, but some of you seem to have a knack for where to go.  I think it's a part of what separates a unicum from schmos like me.

This seems to be one of the biggest gripes in game chat, yet there doesn't seem to be any guides or YouTube videos explaining this. 

No easy answer I think we are all confused at the start of the game.  It is like a flock of birds, waiting to see who takes the lead and where everyone is going.

My advice, hang back at 1/4 power and see where the BB's go.  If everyone is going one way you are doomed if you try to take the other flank by yourself.  At the same time I was in a T 10 match and there was a fight on left cap and fight on right cap.  I saw no ships inside my concealment at middle cap so I went by myself and capped it.  No one touched me, sometimes you just have to be the first.  However if I was detected by a DD I would have turned around without support.

Go with the flow,  stay behind cover or with friends.  Try to look at the big picture the best you can.

[KMK]
Members
182 posts
8,446 battles

I always try to see who is gonig to CAP, and take position to support. If there arent any cap I stay back defending the base. If Iam in a DD I lead to CAP.

But always take in account not to stay alone

[NOSOS]
Members
39 posts
2,661 battles

Thank you for asking this question.  I joined this forum to ask the same thing.  I've been clumsily playing for several months and have lately decided I'd like to learn more and hopefully get better.  I appreciate any help I can get so that I'm not a burden to team mates. :)

Members
31 posts
640 battles

An option that I have used and see others use is to declare a team mission or own task in team chat.

"Take CAP A first" would be an example.  "I will be supporting CAP C" is another.

Most folks will work together, if given some kind of guidance.

I started doing this when I was starting on my CV.  I found it helped my team mates if they had some idea of what I was trying to do with the ungainly, slow and useless baby flat top.  At least, they seemed to yell at me less. ;-)

It also helps during the battle to use the "concentrate fire on enemy target".  This can quickly improve the team coordination and odds of winning.

Not everyone responds well to this in chat.  Have a thick skin and remember it is a game.

[HARU]
Members
92 posts
1,843 battles

For BBs, I recommend sticking within 3 minimap grid squares of the center most of the time. try not to be more than 15km from the enemy main line(12km is better). try to have one dd/cl in front of you to spot torps and change general direction and speed every 30-50 seconds. You really need to maximize the amount of ships shooting at you to contribute the most to the game. Use that armor!

[YODA6]
Members
189 posts
819 battles

Depends on what you are driving. If CA follow DD back around 3k, if BB follow CA that are following DD's the same distance. This way everyone can concentrate fire on any ships that pop up and sink them quick.

If everyone scatters ignore this. Don't go following a DD off on his own, or a CA doing the same. They are committing suicide, you don't need to also.