You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
destawaits

When was your first 19-point commander?

71 comments in this topic

[ARMDG]
[ARMDG]
Members
767 posts
3,287 battles

I would like to know when you guys got your first 19-pointer and how you grinded for it or, if you're close to getting one, which commander you're maxing out soon and using what method to do so.

I'm expecting my John Doe to be hitting 19 points soon; he's at 17 and I intend to grind him on the Iowa before moving him to the Montana.

Edited by destawaits

[4HIM]
Members
2,463 posts
7,915 battles

Took me about two years to get one.  Finished him off in CB playing Des Moines.  Probably could have done it sooner, but really mismanaged captains early on in WoWS.  And I don't often run captain XP flags.  Typically just run the perma-camo which doesn't add a lot of CXP.  Next one is 16 points.  By the time he gets to about 17 I'll have enough elite CXP to boost him to 19.  

IMO the grind for CXP is one of the worst parts of this game.  Not as bad as crew training in the game by the Magic Snail, but pretty dreadful.  

[DPG]
Members
1,531 posts
6,611 battles

I got to my first 19 point commander some time after the French BBs were introduced.  I ended up getting the tier 5, 6, and 7 out of containers, and grinded the heck out of operation Hermes.  After all was said and done I ended up in the Alsace with a 15 point commander, and played that a whole bunch.  Now I'm up to four 19 pointers.  Two for French BBs, one for Worcester, and another for Cossack.  I also have a smattering of 15+ point commanders.  It really is true what they say, when you get one, the rest come much easier.

[ARMDG]
[ARMDG]
Members
767 posts
3,287 battles

I found Operation Dynamo to be really useful for DD commander grinding. I have a 16-pointer in the Lightning and an 11-pointer in the Aiglr because of it.

Edited by destawaits

[000]
Members
48 posts
10,578 battles

It isn't how many months/years it takes to get to 19 points. It is how many matches/hours. That and player skill.  I'm about to get a 4th 19th pointer in about six months but that's based on about 600 matches, mostly in Coop.

The second will come far more quickly than the first, and sooner still if you do this: I assume you have some American premium ships and you've been using John Doe on his assigned tech tree plus whatever American premiums. Your second 19 pointer should not be an American (unless you run all/mostly American ships). The second one should be whatever other country you have premium ships in. My first 19 pointer was German, second was American, third Japanese and fourth will be UK. Right now, whenever I take a German, American or Japanese premium out of port, it is generating Elite Commander XP which I then pour into the senior Captain of whatever nation I'm moving up next.

[WOLF3]
Members
57 posts
4,956 battles

Been playing for nearly a year now and just got my first 19-pt'er last week for my IJN BB's. I'm still on Nagato in that line, but I have Musashi which I played a lot with commander XP flags and I got the last point from using him on rental Zao in this ranked season.

I have four other captains that are at 15-17 pt's and have built them up the same ways - through grinding a line  and also using them on premium ships (Musashi, Kronshtadt, Alaska, Cossack, Scharnhorst, will be getting Jean Bart soon) for daily win bonus stacked with commander XP flags. Operations can also be a good way to grind commander XP, Operation Dynamo in particular was amazing, my UK DD captain went from like 10-pt's to 16 in two days back when that op was still available.

• Cool 1

[_EASY]
Members
259 posts
10,245 battles

It took me months of play to get my 1st 19pt.  With over 7,000 battles, now I have a dozen, 5 are legendary.

I try to at least play each 19pt, each day for the 50% bonus on the first win.  The Elite Commander XP builds very quickly.

[ARMDG]
[ARMDG]
Members
767 posts
3,287 battles
16 minutes ago, reamnaval said:

It isn't how many months/years it takes to get to 19 points. It is how many matches/hours. That and player skill.  I'm about to get a 4th 19th pointer in about six months but that's based on about 600 matches, mostly in Coop.

The second will come far more quickly than the first, and sooner still if you do this: I assume you have some American premium ships and you've been using John Doe on his assigned tech tree plus whatever American premiums. Your second 19 pointer should not be an American (unless you run all/mostly American ships). The second one should be whatever other country you have premium ships in. My first 19 pointer was German, second was American, third Japanese and fourth will be UK. Right now, whenever I take a German, American or Japanese premium out of port, it is generating Elite Commander XP which I then pour into the senior Captain of whatever nation I'm moving up next.

Nah, I don't have many useful premium ships to begin with. My second commander will likely be my UK DD captain, then my 15-point Takao. Ironically, although I've played a lot of ARP Haguro and Takao, I've only progressed up to Furutaka on the IJN CA line.

[ARMDG]
[ARMDG]
Members
767 posts
3,287 battles
20 minutes ago, Crimson_19 said:

Operation Dynamo in particular was amazing, my UK DD captain went from like 10-pt's to 16 in two days back when that op was still available.

Same; mine went from 5 points to about 14 points. Jervis was awesome.

Edited by destawaits

[ARGSY]
Members
12,893 posts
8,245 battles

Started playing at the end of August 2017. Didn't really see a 19 pointer as an achievable goal until May or June of the next year. Tried hard after that, finally picked up the first one in mid-August 2018. I found myself 1 million captain XP from the goal and told myself "That's 10,000 captain XP a night for just over three months; play to the second container and it's mine." With an easily achievable nightly goal, I exceeded it on a regular basis and eventually I was closing in. I still hadn't finished Science of Victory yet, so I ground my way through the rest of that and used the week of premium time to finish the job. Got the last point (300K captain XP) done in a massive all-day power-grind.

The second one came from grinding out the free XP I needed for the Musashi, thanks to the 19 point captains we got for all the Halloween events and the 250% captain XP camos they give out in various things. I used a lot of the new flags that give both captain and free XP at the same time, and when I looked up from getting the Musashi I was that much closer to finishing off the second captain grind. Got that done over the next few months, finished at the beginning of March this year.

With most of my favourite premiums being in the nations for which I have 19 pointers, it wasn't hard to grab a little bit here, a little bit there... Last weekend, I had the opportunity for another power grind. Lo and behold, there is my third, less than a year after my first and three-and-a-half months after the second. Someone said that once you have the first, the time to get the next one is halved and then halved again for the third. Eventually you strike a point of diminishing returns - there's only so fast you can accumulate the points - but the more 19 pointers you have, the more they get played and the sooner you earn the next one.

It should be noted that in the time I've been in this game, I've been through TWO Halloween events (one prolonged), TWO rounds of Space Battles, and now we have ANOTHER special event coming up that gives us temporary 19 pointers for which we keep the ECXP. All of those have helped enormously. The key lies in being disciplined enough to save up your ECXP and focus all your efforts on that one captain you want to promote, either by playing him exclusively (if he is the first) or playing only him and any other 19 pointers you may have.

• Cool 2

[ARGSY]
Members
12,893 posts
8,245 battles
45 minutes ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

Not as bad as crew training in the game by the Magic Snail

The Magic Snail????? 

Beta Testers
3,222 posts
12,934 battles

This was my first 19 pointer

Image result for 19 point buck

• Funny 2

[ARGSY]
Members
12,893 posts
8,245 battles
4 minutes ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

This was my first 19 pointer

But was it tasty? 

Beta Testers
3,222 posts
12,934 battles
3 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

But was it tasty? 

That was one of my 18 point commanders, I was thinking of giving the free capt points to , he was a tad upset and we got this result.

[KMK]
Members
178 posts
8,446 battles

After one year I have my first 19pts Captain, he is commanding my Hindemburg, now Im near to get the secong in my Gearing.

[RLGN]
Members
11,240 posts
20,260 battles

Started September ‘15.

IJN destroyer commander. Ground out the hard way, all earned xp, about two years ago. Started with Pumpkin, Apple, and Blueberry, (the Kamikaze sisters,) and finished up using Akizuki.

[PVE]
Members
9,307 posts
16,524 battles
1 hour ago, destawaits said:

I would like to know when you guys got your first 19-pointer and how you grinded for it or, if you're close to getting one, which commander you're maxing out soon and using what method to do so.

I'm expecting my John Doe to be hitting 19 points soon; he's at 17 and I intend to grind him on the Iowa before moving him to the Montana.

My 1st was on my Montana. It was my original T3 South Carolina BB Capt. I moved him up the line each time I got a new ship. I actually didn't have any premiums to use him in until after I got him to 19 so it was all done in tech tree ships. The final few pts came on Montana. I started the game in Dec 2016 but didn't get in to BB play for a while. I would say maybe 6 months later. So about 1.5 years to get that 1st 19pt Capt in Jan 2018. I now have over 20 of them (22/23?). 

Edited by AdmiralThunder

Members
353 posts
16,704 battles

First 19 pointer was on the DesMoines (I think) and is the "John Doe" commander (FKA the Steven Seagal commander).  Probably took me about 6 months or so (but was also playing many different lines and ship types).  That was back in early to mid 2017 I think.  Now I'm at 45 19 pointers in all.

[TBW]
Members
8,007 posts
14,639 battles

My first one was the day they changed the XP from 1,000,000 XP to get from 18 to 19. That was the day I got my 19 pointer and a lot of extra points.

[1KR]
Members
0 posts

I've been playing since 2016 and I still don't have one. Lol

I haven't really focused one down before. Have a bunch of 10-14 pointers as a result. 

Recently started focusing my Kirishima though. 

At current rate should reach 19 before too terribly long. 

1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The Magic Snail????? 

We're not allowed to talk about Battle Lightning. 

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
1,277 posts
5,805 battles

I have four 19 pointers 2 German 1 IJN and 1 US in my Mass. All are BB Captains and all are full secondary brawlers. My first was in Scharnhorst followed by Tirpitz and a long grind in Amagi. Mass was the fastest thanks to CXP. Currently grinding Alaska Ibuki and Kutuzov to catch my cruisers up

[-AF-]
Beta Testers
197 posts
3,887 battles

I have one 18 point American commander who is halfway to 19, and a couple 13 point commanders.  Even though I have played since beta, I don't play consistently so it's taken sometime.  Pretty sure my 18 pointer started the year as a 13 pointer so he should be my first later this year.

-Members-
1,640 posts
785 battles

Hey Captains,

A trip down memory lane is always a great time! I honestly don't remember when I got my first 19 point captain but I do remember it was awesome to be able to spec him. I know I have a bunch of 19 point commanders now but they will never be the same as the first 19 pointer! 

Have you captains found yourself with more 19 point captains in one certain nation over others? I know I have a lot of IJN captains because I played the Fuso so much to level them =).

[SHAFT]
Members
602 posts
13,794 battles

My first 19-pointer coincided with my first T10 - my Shimakaze, been at the helm since then.

Not 100% sure but would have been around six months after I started playing, but I used a lot of xp flags to go up the IJN line and he moved up as I unlocked the next tier.