Lert

Help Lert pick a new CPU

I5 9600K or Ryzen 7 2700X?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. I5 9600K or Ryzen 7 2700X?

• I5
    • Ryzen
    • Why do you cook bacon and bake cookies?

28 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Supertester
21,345 posts
15,057 battles

The choice is between an I5 9600k and a Ryzen 7 2700x .. which one, and why? Some research shows that the Ryzen might be a bit faster, but I've been a fan of Intel for the past 15 years and something inside me wants to stick to the brand, they've not done me wrong and I've had some minor problems with AMD CPUs in the past ...

"Why don't you pick <X> instead?"

Availability, pricing, budget ... Basically, it's between these two.

It will be coupled to 16gb DDR4 and a GTX 1660 driving a 1080p screen.

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
8,001 posts
9,104 battles
2 minutes ago, Lert said:

Availability, pricing, budget ... Basically, it's between these two.

pricing, roughly equivalent

budget, no bacon for 6 months

availability, this is the internet, so equal.

AMD chips are generally cheaper than INTEL for equivalent rating/ As you mention budget and pricing, you will get more bang for your buck bacon with Ryzen.

[HINON]
Supertester
21,345 posts
15,057 battles
Just now, LoveBote said:

pricing, roughly equivalent

availability, this is the internet, so equal.

That's what I meant, they're both available and roughly equivalently priced in my Dutch webstore of choice. I've got about a week left to decide, but I am leaning towards the Ryzen at the moment.

[WAIFU]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
13,568 posts
5,666 battles

A couple of years ago before the Ryzen chips came out, I#d say Intel. But now everything I've heard is that Ryzen gives you more bang and more cores for less, and they are only slightly behind Intel in single threaded operations.

I'm looking to upgrade next year as well, money permitting, and my eye is on a AMD Ryzen setup as well.

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
8,001 posts
9,104 battles
1 minute ago, Lert said:

That's what I meant, they're both available and roughly equivalently priced in my Dutch webstore of choice. I've got about a week left to decide, but I am leaning towards the Ryzen at the moment.

There are different versions for the Ryzen, it is a maze of possibilities when comparing them and Intel i5s. very confusing.

this might help : https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-9600K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-2700X/4031vs3958

(ignore prices, deals can always be dug up)

Ryzen looks to be more balanced, i5 is much more consumer oriented.

[BROOK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,949 posts

Ryzen, but I'm an AMD boi. So take my biased opinion with a grain of cpu cooler paste.

Members
1,691 posts
8,495 battles
14 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

There are different versions for the Ryzen, it is a maze of possibilities when comparing them and Intel i5s. very confusing.

this might help : https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-9600K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-2700X/4031vs3958

(ignore prices, deals can always be dug up)

Ryzen looks to be more balanced, i5 is much more consumer oriented.

The magic charts point toward Ryzen.

You know I could use an upgrade too but I just keep putting it off.

image.png.9eb1d76c65f4257798143f0d3be27c6a.png

I'd be curious to see how you like your final selection.

Edited by Wows_Nightly_News
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[HINON]
Supertester
21,345 posts
15,057 battles
2 minutes ago, Wows_Nightly_News said:

The magic charts point toward Ryzen.

They sure do. Seems unanimous so far. Well, that makes the choice easy.

2 minutes ago, Wows_Nightly_News said:

You know I could use an upgrade too but I just keep putting it off.

image.png.9eb1d76c65f4257798143f0d3be27c6a.png

That's one stylin' set-up though.

[SIM]
Members
1,530 posts

Will be hard to get a hard core Intel kitty to switch over to AMD.  I am doing the 2700x build myself.

[WOLF9]
Members
10,222 posts
4,366 battles
47 minutes ago, Lert said:

[Intel has] not done me wrong and I've had some minor problems with AMD CPUs in the past ...

AMD has a history of bending designs to produce better numbers, but in overall real-world loads Intel is the better workhorse.   I'd choose Intel.

To me, the real question is the motherboard.

• Cool 1

[-RNG-]
Supertester
2,684 posts
3,560 battles

I also run the Ryzen 7 2700x. I have loved it so far. Totally would recrommend. AMD is nice because it seems you can get further with the same budget than Intel. 

I want able to control the fan LEDs, but that's probably something stupid I did, not a fault with the CPU fan.

[HINON]
Supertester
21,345 posts
15,057 battles
4 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

To me, the real question is the motherboard.

In both cases a ~$70 ASUS jobber. I don't have the actual type numbers here atm.

[-BRS-]
Members
1,093 posts
5,774 battles

I went with intel.  At the time it was 8700K and I have experience with overclocking both AMD and Intel.  I wanted enough core speed without having to overclock and heat up my room.  Intel was an easy choice.  That's a tough choice though because I wouldn't buy either. 

Asus and Asrock (have an Asrock now and its solid) both good.  I used to love Gigabyte but haven't followed them recently.

Edited by 0NutsNBolts0

[A-O]
Members
681 posts
6,764 battles

Keep in mind the graphics card!

I tried WoW on an I5 with only onboard Intel graphics and even with all to minimums i got less than 20fps with CPU @100%.

Added NVidia GTX 1660.... graphics all maxed out at 1920x1080 got me 78fps with the CPU at less than 50%

Upgraded to I7 with same graphics card and still the fps seems stuck at about 78fps so this must be a hard limit in code.

I actually use only 60fps as this is the limit for streaming.

Just my 3 cents :-)

[WOLF9]
Members
10,222 posts
4,366 battles
17 minutes ago, Lert said:

In both cases a ~$70 ASUS jobber. I don't have the actual type numbers here atm.

I'm an Asus fan too.  Mention the model numbers and I'll take a look.

[HINON]
Supertester
21,345 posts
15,057 battles
2 minutes ago, freggo said:

Keep in mind the graphics card!

GTX 1660. I'm already pushing 60+ FPS with my current I5 4590 and GTX 960 at maximum settings, but my PC is struggling with modern games.

[OGRES]
[OGRES]
Beta Testers
628 posts
15,023 battles

For the minimal gains honestly just the 2700 would do you just fine and comes with a more than adequate cooler as well.  If you are going for a budget mobo there is really no point in getting the x variant.

[HINON]
Supertester
21,345 posts
15,057 battles
5 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

I'm an Asus fan too.  Mention the model numbers and I'll take a look.

Looking at PRIME B450M-A for the Ryzen and PRIME H310M-K for the I5. They're about as expensive as I can justify with my budget.

[A-O]
Members
681 posts
6,764 battles
4 minutes ago, Lert said:

GTX 1660. I'm already pushing 60+ FPS with my current I5 4590 and GTX 960 at maximum settings, but my PC is struggling with modern games.

That's why I picked the 1660. Bit more future proof.

I'm not a gamer but I do a lot of video editing. If you go 4K than some extra umpf is needed.

Ergo I spent a little extra on a graphics card that does not have to work hard in WoW.

Edited by freggo
spelling fix

[OGRES]
[OGRES]
Beta Testers
628 posts
15,023 battles

The X chips really do not fare any better than the non X variants on the B boards.  I have first generation 1700 and I have never said hey I wish I had gotten the X.  If that tells you anything.  To add another note we are looking at a month or so before third gen hits the shelves so if you can wait I am almost positive you can get a even better deal on whichever 2700 you choose.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
21,335 posts
11,846 battles

With the price difference being a non factor do you use programs that can make use of the Ryzen's better multi-thread capability. If Yes = Ryzen Else = Intel.

[HINON]
Supertester
21,345 posts
15,057 battles
10 minutes ago, Black_Sheep9 said:

The X chips really do not fare any better than the non X variants on the B boards.

Huh. I'd have to check my webstore of choice to see if they have any non X variants.

[HINON]
Supertester
21,345 posts
15,057 battles
Just now, BrushWolf said:

With the price difference being a non factor do you use programs that can make use of the Ryzen's better multi-thread capability. If Yes = Ryzen Else = Intel.

The heaviest programs I run are games. I don't run any heavy productivity or graphics programs.