You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Sea_Goblin

Upgrades/Skills for Dallas

13 comments in this topic

Members
28 posts
545 battles

I just managed to move up from the Omaha to the Dallas.  I was wondering what is a good selection of upgrades/capt skills for the Dallas given the current meta. I have a 10 point captain that I'd also like to use on the Atlanta.  I intend to continue working my way up the US light cruiser line.  I'm new to the game so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Sea_Goblin

-Members-
1,640 posts
785 battles

Hey Sea_Goblin,

The Dallas is a ship that will lead to other CLs that kind of require the same skills. The key to doing damage with the 152mm guns is the tier 4 commander skill IFHE.

I would recommend in order: Priority Target (tier 1), Expert Marksman (tier 2), Superintendent or Demolition Expert (tier 3) and then IFHE or concealment (tier 4) on the commander skill tree.

You can take concealment expert to give yourself a lower concealment and a better chance to disengage or you could take IFHE which will help you do more damage (in the end you will want both). Both of these commander skills will transfer over well to the Atlanta. 

Feel free to ask anymore questions if you have them, the forums is full of knowledgeable players that will help you out!

• Cool 4

[ADPT2]
[ADPT2]
Members
883 posts
2,502 battles

Get IFHE ASAP.  Rest is up for discussion.

• Cool 2

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
21,245 posts
19,617 battles

For your 10pt captain, especially since you intend to use your Big-D skipper for Atlanta also:

Priority Target

Adrenaline Rush

BFT - This is more for Atlanta's benefit, not so much for Dallas

IFHE

Priority Target is a very nice skill in PVP because it is your gauge on whether or not your ship should be there at that moment in time.  If that Priority Target counter is high, you better make yourself scarce, let's just say that :Smile_trollface:

Adrenaline Rush - Improved reload of your weapons as you get lower in HP.

BFT - It improves your AA and reload of 139mm and smaller guns.  Dallas' AA isn't impressive, so BFT isn't important for her.  But for Atlanta who is loaded with 127mm guns, BFT is a nice DPM boost.  In addition, later US Cruisers with better AA can make use of BFT.

IFHE - With this captain of yours being made to go down the USN CL Line as well as use on Atlanta, IFHE IMO is a *must*.  Without it you'll get a lot of HE non-pens on many targets even with your 152mm HE shells.

152mm / 6 = 25.33 or 25mm of armor needed to defeat this HE shell

Mid Tier Battleships, especially Tier VI on, start sporting 25mm armor decks, some more than that.  There are also 25mm bows.  Also, Battleships from Tier VIII on have 32mm bows.  If your 152mm shells aren't landing on BB superstructure, you'll get lots of Non-pens.  Even if you are landing perfect hits on BB superstructure, you'll eventually Damage Saturate that section and your damage output there plummets severely.  You have to aim at something else, but what will you pen on a Battleship without IFHE for your 152mm guns?  Nothing, except praying for fires.

In addition, you eventually even start encountering Cruisers with 25mm armor, especially at the mid section and even deck area.  You won't be able to HE Pen those core areas.

What if you took IFHE for your 152mm guns?

(152mm / 6) x 1.3 = 32.93 or 33mm of armor needed to defeat this HE shell.

Now ships require 33mm of armor to defeat your IFHE laced 152mm HE shells.  This opens up A LOT of damage dealing opportunities.  YES, go for BB superstructure, but you can now eat the common 25mm, 32mm armor sections.  YES, you can now reliably damage much more sections on other Cruisers!

IFHE is important for CLs because it lets them deal more direct shell damage and not be so reliant on fires.

IFHE will matter big time when you climb higher in the USN CL Line with Helena (shudder), Cleveland, Seattle, and finally Worcester.  You will need IFHE to deal with the increasingly thicker armor sections out there.

Also here is the reference for the HE Penetration Formula, in case you want to get into how all that worked.

Traits past 10pts is open to more debate.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[TSG4B]
Privateers
2,298 posts
12,520 battles
2 hours ago, Sea_Goblin said:

I'm new to the game so any help would be greatly appreciated.

After all the reading, I would recommended you to check this out as well

• Cool 1

[SOV]
Members
2,918 posts
2 hours ago, Sea_Goblin said:

I just managed to move up from the Omaha to the Dallas.  I was wondering what is a good selection of upgrades/capt skills for the Dallas given the current meta. I have a 10 point captain that I'd also like to use on the Atlanta.  I intend to continue working my way up the US light cruiser line.  I'm new to the game so any help would be greatly appreciated.

ycyou aft bff and ifhe BEFORE stealth.

Bear in mind I am not using stealth on anything these days. The 4 points are going for anti fire.

• Cool 1

[REEF]
Beta Testers
858 posts
9,522 battles

First you have to get Ens. Chuck Parker for your captain.......:Smile_trollface:

• Funny 1

[PVE]
Members
800 posts
6,227 battles

The best upgrade on Dallas is Helena :Smile-_tongue:

Skills though, I recommend much the same as everyone else. First is PT, AR, DE, IFHE. Then is CE, BFT, then maybe JOAT for the last.

• Funny 1

Members
28 posts
545 battles
On 6/20/2019 at 1:14 PM, Kami said:

Hey Sea_Goblin,

The Dallas is a ship that will lead to other CLs that kind of require the same skills...   ...Feel free to ask anymore questions if you have them, the forums is full of knowledgeable players that will help you out!

Thank you for responding and for the advice.  It is much appreciated!

Edited by Sea_Goblin

Members
28 posts
545 battles
On 6/20/2019 at 1:33 PM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

For your 10pt captain, especially since you intend to use your Big-D skipper for Atlanta also: ...

...Traits past 10pts is open to more debate.

Wow, thank you so much for taking the time to provide all of that great information!  The HE Pen Ref is excellent.  I'm going to have to spend some time going over that one.

Edited by Sea_Goblin

Members
28 posts
545 battles
On 6/20/2019 at 1:33 PM, SJ_Sailer said:

Get IFHE ASAP.  Rest is up for discussion.

Thank for responding!  Yep, it look like IFHE is the way to go.  

Members
28 posts
545 battles
22 hours ago, ObiphanKenobi said:

After all the reading, I would recommended you to check this out as well...

Thank you for responding and for the link.  I've got me some reading to do!

Edited by Sea_Goblin

Members
28 posts
545 battles
21 hours ago, jags_domain said:

ycyou aft bff and ifhe BEFORE stealth.

Bear in mind I am not using stealth on anything these days. The 4 points are going for anti fire.

Thanks for responding and for the info. I appreciate it!

21 hours ago, FlashTX1 said:

First you have to get Ens. Chuck Parker for your captain.......:Smile_trollface:

LOL!  Sure would beat George Doe. I need to find a mod that lets me change captain names!

18 hours ago, MasterDiggs said:

The best upgrade on Dallas is Helena :Smile-_tongue:

Skills though, I recommend much the same as everyone else. First is PT, AR, DE, IFHE. Then is CE, BFT, then maybe JOAT for the last.

I'll be grinding hard for the Helena, for sure, lol!  Thanks for responding.

• Cool 1