You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Admiral_Anchor

Enemy planes follow and attack long after CV is dead.

57 comments in this topic

[DAS]
Members
28 posts
7,190 battles

So I just played a match in my favorite ship.. The Kamikaze R, and long after the enemy CV had been killed, his planes remained over our cap. No big I though, CV has been dead for several minutes, so other than spotting me, no harm.  

After they spotted me, they began to attack, and follow me across the map.  

I have only been playing this game a couple of years, so maybe I have missed something in how CV's work now, and their ability to continue the fight after they have been killed. The CV in question is a Ranger.  What is it I have failed to learn?

Edited by Admiral_Anchor
remove name
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 5

Members
3,648 posts
6,880 battles

After the CV rework, the players will retain their ability to command their launched squadron, until a timer expires or they expended all the ammunition the squadron gets. The timer is around 3 minutes, so keep that in mind.

[PHASE]
Members
4,735 posts
16,143 battles

they have like over 2 minutes with whatever planes they have in air.  A smart cv will recall his planes right before he dies and launch whatever squadron he has the most planes and continue to pollinate this game with cancer.

• Cool 8
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 9
  • Angry 3

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
8,815 posts
12,548 battles

Brave lads.

Yeah player still controls planes until they are killed or timer expires.

[WAIFU]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
13,568 posts
5,666 battles

Working as intended. If the player is in control of an aircraft squadron whilst their CV dies, they can still control their planes for however long they last.

My advice is to spend some time with the new reworked CVs to figure out what they can do.

• Cool 4
  • Angry 1

Members
1,691 posts
8,495 battles
4 minutes ago, Admiral_Anchor said:

So I just played a match in my favorite ship.. The Kamikaze R, and long after the enemy CV had been killed, his planes remained over our cap. No big I though, CV has been dead for several minutes, so other than spotting me, no harm.  

I have only been playing this game a couple of years, so maybe I have missed something in how CV's work now, and their ability to continue the fight after they have been killed. The CV in question is a Ranger Captained by RickyGoy.  What is it I have failed to learn?

...There was the CV rework? Also I would delete the name. Anyway as of a couple months ago CVs  were completely overhauled so that the player now controls a single squadron directly. After they are sunk the player can still control the squad they have in the air for two+ minutes until time runs out, they are shot down, or "used up" by attacking.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
21,246 posts
19,617 battles

It's almost like there are pilots on the aircraft controlling these things :Smile_Default:

• Funny 1

[DAS]
Members
28 posts
7,190 battles

Wow... Thanks guys.

I have some CV's sitting around, but do not like playing the new format, so they have been sitting in the boneyard.   

May be time to take a break as the DD is my favorite ship, and just seems to get worse all the time.

[DENY]
Members
446 posts
8,323 battles
1 minute ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

It's almost like there are pilots on the aircraft controlling these things :Smile_Default:

And who exactly are they reporting back to in order to spot enemy ships?

It's stupid that any ship can control it's ability to do damage after the ship is dead. Torps in water can't be steered, shells in flight can't be steered.

CV should not have the ability to continue to have the player make decisions after that players ship is dead.

• Boring 3

[PENND]
Members
332 posts
5,741 battles

I actually like the ability to control a squadron after my CV is destroyed. More realistic (in game terms at least) since real aircraft don't just stop working the moment their CV blew up/sank.

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,099 posts
6,285 battles
2 minutes ago, Xanthro said:

It's stupid that any ship can control it's ability to do damage after the ship is dead. Torps in water can't be steered, shells in flight can't be steered.

CV should not have the ability to continue to have the player make decisions after that players ship is dead.

Torps are still in the water, shells are still in flight, in the old CVs I would send out my "last order" and my planes will attack.

[B-W-M]
[B-W-M]
Members
469 posts
5,476 battles
7 minutes ago, Sweetsie said:

they have like over 2 minutes with whatever planes they have in air.  A smart cv will recall his planes right before he dies and launch whatever squadron he has the most planes and continue to pollinate this game with cancer.

I quite like your turn of phrase.

I'm going to use polinate in all my conversations today 

[NMKJT]
Members
3,767 posts
12 minutes ago, Admiral_Anchor said:

I have only been playing this game a couple of years, so maybe I have missed something in how CV's work now, and their ability to continue the fight after they have been killed. The CV in question is a Ranger.  What is it I have failed to learn?

CV planes have a timer after it is sunk and it's less than several minutes. So your story doesn't add up.

But torpedoes still run after the DD dies. Seems the same to me

[DAS]
Members
28 posts
7,190 battles

Yeah I didn't mind that the planes were sent out on a last mission at a specific target, but control after the ship is dead should cease to exist.  Game is over when the ship is sunk.  

[DAS]
Members
28 posts
7,190 battles
Just now, Wombatmetal said:

CV planes have a timer after it is sunk and it's less than several minutes. So your story doesn't add up.

But torpedoes still run after the DD dies. Seems the same to me

Torpedoes have a short run life, less than 40 seconds in most cases, and cannot be sent after new targets that were not in view when launched.  

I wasn't watching the clock, but it was a good couple of minutes later, as I sailed a quarter of the way across the map.

[WOSV]
Members
584 posts
3,037 battles
26 minutes ago, Admiral_Anchor said:

After a CV dies they do not lose control over them. They have roughly 3 minutes of life after their Carrier's death. The flight still in the air is still in full control.

Also, Kamikaze R main.

[PHASE]
Members
4,735 posts
16,143 battles
21 minutes ago, SYST3M_OVERIDE said:

I actually like the ability to control a squadron after my CV is destroyed. More realistic (in game terms at least) since real aircraft don't just stop working the moment their CV blew up/sank.

maybe they could fly back to spawn and regenerate another CV?

• Funny 1

[NMKJT]
Members
3,767 posts
25 minutes ago, Admiral_Anchor said:

Torpedoes have a short run life, less than 40 seconds in most cases, and cannot be sent after new targets that were not in view when launched.  

I wasn't watching the clock, but it was a good couple of minutes later, as I sailed a quarter of the way across the map.

You have 120 seconds from when the ship sinks til the planes die. A t4 or t5 CV cannot chase you across the map in that time, the planes are slow at that tier 

Let alone get off multiple attacks

A slow running sea mine can be in the water a couple minutes after the ship goes down.

It's the sane principle. Shells do damage, fires burn, ships flood, all after the ships sink. What's the logic behind penalizing only CVs other than anything CV is bad?

[TDRB]
Members
2,982 posts
8,958 battles
30 minutes ago, Admiral_Anchor said:

Yeah I didn't mind that the planes were sent out on a last mission at a specific target, but control after the ship is dead should cease to exist.  Game is over when the ship is sunk.  

No, ship launched torpedoes can damage/sink after the launching ship is destroyed. Shells fire still do damage, cause fires after the ship firing them is destroyed. Those torpedoes & shells just don't vanish. You even get the "Just a Flesh Wound" achievement for sinking a ship after you have been destroyed.

There is a lot of bad about CV's since the rework (IMO) but this is not one of the problems.

Members
27 posts
4,668 battles
55 minutes ago, Sweetsie said:

A smart cv will recall his planes right before he dies and launch whatever squadron he has the most planes and continue to pollinate this game with cancer.

In my Big E I prefer to say I am spreading freedom to all the red ships, but I do like your phrasing.

Edited by niceStove

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
21,342 posts
11,846 battles

In the RTS days if the CV player gave his squadrons a auto attack target they continued on to their target. This is the equivalent with a three minute time limit. It sounds like that player decided to spot for his remaining time instead of using his ordnance.

Members
23,232 posts
5,863 battles
1 hour ago, Xanthro said:

The flagship of course. If the CV was the flagship, then whatever the new flagship is.

It's easy enough for the squadron commander to switch his radio to the next frequency on his priority list.

[WORX]
Members
5,037 posts
15,593 battles

Because after sinking a CV, planes getting upto 3 hits chances on you. Is completely different to the RTS style of one and done... People just dont like to dodge zombie planes for the second and third times.

Especially with WG breaking ships AADEF to appease sky cancer.. Taking 3k-5k HP every pass.

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 2

[UEFN]
Members
970 posts
17,538 battles

CV and only CV should be allow to re-spawn 2min after they were sunk. :Smile_trollface: