You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
pepsibluefan

Should I slowly go up the tiers?

33 comments in this topic

Members
7 posts
118 battles

Hey guys, I am new to world of warships but I started out with the Japanese nation. I main battleships and have no real interest in trying out other ships. I am in no real rush to move up the tiers but I wanted at least a decent battleship. I was thinking of just upgrading my modules and commander then upgrading later? I love all the battleships in every tier and might consider buying a battleship since I love them so much. I am not saying the other ships aren't cool or interesting in their own way.

TL:DR What is a good tier to slowly work my way up?

[OO7]
Members
5,232 posts
12,037 battles

What do you enjoy about bbs and don't enjoy about the other types? Even though you want to play bbs, I would encourage you to dabble in the other types to get a working knowledge of how they play, what they can and cannot do and it will give you knowledge that will help you play battleships easier. 

The Japanese BB line is meh at least until Kongo. The fuso is one of the best in the line, tier for tier though. I'd play around those 2 for a while if you are looking to get experience before progressing onwards. 

Edited by Ducky_shot
  • Cool 2

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,099 posts
6,285 battles

Play and enjoy. That is up to you.

[-RNG-]
Supertester
2,688 posts
3,560 battles

Nobody is forcing you to move up. There is  nothing wrong with waiting around and learning your stuff. 

In terms of Japanese BBs, personally I think the tier 5 and 6 are great places to hang out at. I can help you with BB issues if you need. In terms of purchasing premium ships, Japan is pretty lackluster. There are plenty of other ships to try though!:Smile_coin:

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
5,968 posts
4,754 battles
20 minutes ago, pepsibluefan said:

Hey guys, I am new to world of warships but I started out with the Japanese nation. I main battleships and have no real interest in trying out other ships. I am in no real rush to move up the tiers but I wanted at least a decent battleship. I was thinking of just upgrading my modules and commander then upgrading later? I love all the battleships in every tier and might consider buying a battleship since I love them so much. I am not saying the other ships aren't cool or interesting in their own way.

I would do that.  Push your way slowly as you learn the mechanics.  Getting the mechanics and developing a playstyle that helps you win will increase your enjoyment of this game ten-fold.

Tier V and Tier VI, in my opinion, are pretty good for the Japanese battleships.  They have good guns and long range, but don't hover at the edges too much.  Just be careful that they have very vulnerable side-armor...

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,659 posts

You should always upgrade ships as soon as possible, not doing so is only a disadvantage, as everyone else already has.

You will eventually get bored of playing the same ship over and over.  Luckily, there are lots of them.

[MIA-I]
Supertester
2,882 posts
5,497 battles

I understand where you're coming from with liking one type of ship.  I was a German cruiser main when I started.  But playing other ships does have advantages.  Namely in knowing the strengths and weaknesses of the opponents you'll be facing.  For instance a British Cruiser in smoke seems like an insurmountable challenge at the start when rushing them down in your Battleship, but playing them and getting to know what they can and can't do will help you when you face them yourself.  Same thing for enemy DD's and their torpedo's.  Knowing how those function, their limits and such will help you dodge/avoid them in your Battleship. 

But, if you want to stick to the Battleship realm, no problem there.  I get it, everyone likes to see big numbers :D  But at the same time, I'm against rushing up the lines.  It's an old lesson I learned in World of Tanks.  Lower tier is laid back, bit more fun and a little less punishing than high tiers.  With the accuracy of guns, fast firing, and large alpha they do, mistakes made are often game ending.  Not to say they aren't at the lower tiers, but you have more of a chance of getting out of them alive as opposed to just straight back to port.  Situations you survive can be thought of as learning experiences, things that happen that make you realize, maybe that wasn't such a good idea, I should have done "This" instead.

Lower tier will also teach you basics that take awhile to master.  Aiming, maneuvering, angling of armor, torpedo evasion etc. etc.  Take your time, get to a ship you like, and learn it forwards and backwards.  Kongo is a good choice.  Personally i spent a lot of time in the Tier 4/5/6 bracket before I forced myself to expand to tier 8/9/10.  I didn't like the high tier stuff at first but slowly began to acclimate myself and learn what I was doing wrong and why I didn't like it.  So really, no harm in staying where you're comfortable for awhile.  But definitely branch out when your comfortable with it.  It's a big game with a myriad of different playstyles and different ways to play depending on your ship, your upgrades and even just your play style.

Edited by vonKaiser

[WAIFU]
13,568 posts
5,666 battles
30 minutes ago, pepsibluefan said:

Whilst you may not have any interest in other ship types, I highly recommend you try them out anyway. Who knows? You may end up liking their playstyles. And playing them will make you understand what makes them tick, because knowledge about the game mechanics is power. Don't end up as one of those 'battleship mains' who come to the forum to cry about 'invisible DDs', because people who do that are laughed at. Know your enemy and what other classes are capable of and what their limits are.

Anyway there's no rush to advance up the tiers. Having said that it is advisable to get to tier 6 promptly, because a lot of missions and events require at least mid tier ships. But feel free to chill there for a while. The game is not so much about the destination and Tier 10 isn't the be all and end all. Tier 10 gameplay can be pretty stale and frustrating tbh. The game is more about the journey so go at your own pace.

[AMWKS]
Modder
290 posts
3,743 battles
24 minutes ago, pepsibluefan said:

I had the luxury of playing on EU when the game was first released, and then switching to my native timezone in 2017.  With the chance to 'do it all over again' on NA, I had an easier time with it.  The thing to keep in mind are all the combat missions that are now available to you.  As events come and go, you can earn plenty of camos and bonus rewards, which make grinding the higher tiers easier.  For the most part, you need at least a tier 5 ship to qualify for the missions.  Tier 5 is the key.  Establish a solid bank of tier 5 ships.  If battleships are your thing, grind up those battleship lines concurrently.  Take advantage of the first-win XP bonus of the day on as may of them as you can.  It will give you a good start.

-Members-
1,259 posts
508 battles

As others mention, enjoy what you are playing regardless.  Honestly I strongly prefer BBs myself and don't enjoy other classes as much, but by playing them I actually gained not only an appreciation for how they play but an understanding of what to watch out for. 

Members
7 posts
118 battles
21 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

What do you enjoy about bbs and don't enjoy about the other tiers? Even though you want to play bbs, I would encourage you to dabble in the other types to get a working knowledge of how they play, what they can and cannot do and it will give you knowledge that will help you play battleships easier. 

The Japanese BB line is meh at least until Kongo. The fuso is one of the best in the line, tier for tier though. I'd play around those 2 for a while if you are looking to get experience before progressing onwards. 

I see the value in this and will get an experimental nation. I am just really afraid of using torps since I had a bad experience with one going a stray and destroying an allies ship. I had a lot of fun with the cruiser since it had decent firepower and I could use torps on warships that get too close and personal. What nation generally has the best battleships? I assumed they were all about on par with each other.

[TBW]
Members
8,014 posts
14,639 battles
1 minute ago, pepsibluefan said:

What nation generally has the best battleships? I assumed they were all about on par with each other.

Each nation had it's own flavor especially at higher tiers.  Personally I have been liking the French line, although I have them all and they are all good ships. Learning the game mechanics is probably the best thing a new player can do.

[B-W-M]
[B-W-M]
Members
469 posts
5,476 battles

I remember starting this game in cruisers and purely fell in love with St Louis (American Tier III), and I was on my way to Tier 6 Cleveland where I was going to depopulate the sky and light fires forever.

My dreams were soon bashed as I continuously ate destroyer launched torpedoes, felt my jaw dislocate every time a battleship punished my broadside loving self. And the planes. Thank God you're starting now and don't realize the true menace of every match was the hammer and anvil of torps + more torps.

Enjoy your battleships. Don't worry about tier progression, but do get a working knowledge of the enemy as you both try to send the other to the bottom first.

Members
1,979 posts
12,245 battles

I suggest you search the forum for info on the different BB trees and characteristics and then decide which suits your playing style for now. For instance, the Japanese BBs become awesome once you get to tier 6 (Fuso) +. As far as I'm concerned the tiers 6-10 are all great and heavy hitters. You might read negative reviews about t9 Izumo but I can honestly say that once that ship has all the upgrades, upgraded modules, and a good 15+ point captain and played properly it can be a beast. I also suggest that whatever line you start with take your time and don't rush up the tiers. Play the ship until it's mastered before moving up.

[WAIFU]
13,568 posts
5,666 battles
9 minutes ago, pepsibluefan said:

I see the value in this and will get an experimental nation. I am just really afraid of using torps since I had a bad experience with one going a stray and destroying an allies ship. I had a lot of fun with the cruiser since it had decent firepower and I could use torps on warships that get too close and personal. What nation generally has the best battleships? I assumed they were all about on par with each other.

BBs are generally the best balanced ship type in the game, they've all got their own slightly different niches and I wouldn't say there is any real 'best BB line'. It just depends on what you want.

Japanese: quite fast, and generally the best long range snipers, crap AA

American: Really slow until tier 8, generally the best AA and decent at everything else.

Germans: Generally the best secondary build ships, and close range brawlers

Russian: Mid range tanks, heavily armoured but with weak sides, guns which are only accurate at 12 km or less.

British: Best HE, difficult or impossible to citadel, and crazy heals at high tiers. burn everything.

I see you bought Warspite. And predictably got completely stomped. Put the Grand Old Lady down for a while and work your way up the tiers naturally first. Trying to play Warspite with 41 games, and no Expert Marksman skill captain (Warspite really needs this) vs other players who may have a couple hundred or thousands of games is a recipe for defeat.

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
942 posts
14,325 battles

Given how few games you have played, I think you are putting the cart before the horse a bit, honestly.

It takes no time to get any line to T5. Try all the BB lines. And I recommend trying some CL and DD lines as well. This will give you an idea of what actually suits you, rather than trying to force a possibly square peg into a round hole by playing what you currently think is a neat line to play.

Others have given excellent advice. Learn the game. The WoWS Wiki is a great place to get more information about ships, how things work, etc.

Beyond what has already been said, my single piece of advice is to take your time. There is no real reward for rushing to higher tiers. In fact, I believe players that do so often find themselves unable to handle the increased level of challenge, getting frustrated, and leaving the game.

Whatever you decide, I hope you have fun with it.

Respects,

Am

Edited by Amracil

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
21,342 posts
11,846 battles
1 hour ago, pepsibluefan said:

I would say that your initial target should be tier 3/4 because they are an excellent place to learn because of their restricted match making tier range. Get good in those ships before moving up.

59 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

What do you enjoy about bbs and don't enjoy about the other tiers? Even though you want to play bbs, I would encourage you to dabble in the other types to get a working knowledge of how they play, what they can and cannot do and it will give you knowledge that will help you play battleships easier. 

This a thousand times over! Play them all at least a little to learn how they work, know your enemy.

Beta Testers
93 posts
7,465 battles

When I started I played only DDs because they were similar in style to the light tanks I always played in WoT. But just like WoT I eventually expanded and have now found that I enjoy battleships just as much. I don't know if I'll ever like cruisers, and don't get me started on carriers, but just try stuff out as you have a chance. Maybe another class of ship will start to grow on you. Just not carriers. That's cancer. Stay away from cancer. Cancer is bad.

Members
7 posts
118 battles
41 minutes ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

I see you bought Warspite. And predictably got completely stomped. Put the Grand Old Lady down for a while and work your way up the tiers naturally first. Trying to play Warspite with 41 games, and no Expert Marksman skill captain (Warspite really needs this) vs other players who may have a couple hundred or thousands of games is a recipe for defeat.

Actually I played Warspite just once or twice before ignoring it completely. It came with the new account but I wanted to work on getting a battleship before that timed expired. I didn't enjoy getting sniped from across the map and not being able to counter attack. Plus it seemed like the entire fleet on the other side just concentrated all their fire power on me. So many torps.

The carriers were nice, I didn't die every five seconds. Going to try US today.

[BBMOD]
Members
172 posts
3,848 battles

Take your time. T10 is not the end game. There is no reason to rush to get there.

[WAG]
Members
810 posts
10,494 battles

Moving slowly up your first line is a good idea. One of the worst mistakes new players make is thinking moving up tiers is a race, and T10 is winning the game. The game changes as you move up tiers. The ships require more skill to play, are less forgiving, and the opponents get more skilled.

If you really like battleships, run multiple lines at the same time. Even if IJN is your favorites, there is no better way to learn the strengths and weaknesses of your opponents than playing those ships. To some extent I would try the other classes as well. You mike like them, and if you don't the same still applies. The best way to learn how not to get ambushed by destroyers than to play a destroyer and see what play by battleships makes that easy or tough prey.

I would also consider joining a clan that offers mentorship. I believe this is the quickest way to improve, as well as add a social aspect to the game.

It is believed by many (including me) that it takes between one and two thousand games to get a good grasp to the mechanics and tactics/strategies of WoW. Don't get discouraged if you find yourself getting chalenged.

Members
2,224 posts
6,038 battles

In general, I purchase all available modules and upgrades to a ship and will generally not use Free Experience to power through the research of the next ship in most cases.  The idea here is that I believe every ship has something to teach us and prepare us for the next level of play and that if I take actions that push me up the tech tree more quickly I'm not going to gain the full benefit of understanding the ship I'm playing.  

It sort of sounds like you have a similar goal in mind so maybe this is something that can work for you. 

Members
7 posts
118 battles
2 minutes ago, DustRhino said:

Moving slowly up your first line is a good idea. One of the worst mistakes new players make is thinking moving up tiers is a race, and T10 is winning the game. The game changes as you move up tiers. The ships require more skill to play, are less forgiving, and the opponents get more skilled.

It is believed by many (including me) that it takes between one and two thousand games to get a good grasp to the mechanics and tactics/strategies of WoW. Don't get discouraged if you find yourself getting chalenged.

I get it, moving up the tiers fast is like a beginner basketball player trying to play against NBA teams or a beginner golfer going up against PGA pro golfers. I don't mind taking time to develop my skills since I used to play golf and didn't try to complete against vastly superior players.

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,659 posts
27 minutes ago, pepsibluefan said:

Actually I played Warspite just once or twice before ignoring it completely. It came with the new account but I wanted to work on getting a battleship before that timed expired. I didn't enjoy getting sniped from across the map and not being able to counter attack. Plus it seemed like the entire fleet on the other side just concentrated all their fire power on me. So many torps.

The carriers were nice, I didn't die every five seconds. Going to try US today.

Warspite is not to be underestimated.  She's an old premium and she doesn't have a lot of range.  If you get her in range though, she still hits like a truck.

Mid to close range brawlers are a battleship playstyle you will have to learn if you are going to learn BBs.  They can be devastating.

This topic touches on something a lot players do that is a mistake.  Just because some BBs CAN shoot at long ranges, doesn't mean that is their best use.  They often become inaccurate at their max ranges.  You have the biggest health pool in the game, while you don't want to rush in right away like a fool (because the DDs will torp you to death in very short order), don't sit in the back trying to snipe either.

As a battle unfolds, get in there and take some hits.  If your team loses and your find yourself way in the back at full health, you battleshipped wrong.