Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Hewittv18

Scharnhorst Deck

7 comments in this topic

[DENY]
Members
4 posts
1,465 battles

Anyone know what type of wood the Scharnhorst's deck was made of, and how it was treated, painted, or otherwise colored? I'm building a model and it came with an actual wooden deck, so now I'm trying to figure out if I need to paint it or not.

Thanks!

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
2,505 posts
10,580 battles

Had a former clan mate from my old clan tell me another benefit of the wooden decks on BB's. He had served on the Iowa back in the 1980's. He said it actually helped dampen the sound a little when the main guns was fired.

[E-WAR]
Members
41 posts
4,045 battles
On 7/12/2019 at 8:41 PM, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

He had served on the Iowa back in the 1980's.

Ouch.  My condolences.  He didn't re-up after that assignment I'll bet.

[N-W-T]
Members
48 posts
13,513 battles

Germany's high command realized that as the war went on that they were becoming strapped for resources and needed to reallocate resources to support Germany's most pressing needs. Donitz was ordered to remove all the teak from the Scharnhorst's deck and replace it with particle board. The teak was to be removed and used to make designer furniture which would then be sold at a garage sale in order to raise funds to pay for surgery to fix Goebbels' clubbed foot. It grossed everyone out to the point that they couldn't concentrate on the war so the high command made the surgery a national priority. However, the order never reached Donitz so the Scharnhorst's deck remained teak, Goebbels' clubbed foot was never fixed, and as a result Germany lost the war.

Edited by HolyWaterCow

Sign in to follow this