You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
warheart1992

Speedrunning in WoWs; to Tier VI in 45 battles (under 12 hours, brand new account, challenge run,NA)

15 comments in this topic

[HYDRO]
Members
3,560 posts
5,062 battles

This is a more or less a copy from my reddit post on the subject; With WG's permission I decided to post it here as well.

Spoiler

To prove it is indeed me and I haven't stolen someone's thread, here is a picture I haven't posted on the reddit thread, when I had Nicholas unlocked.

shot-19_06.19_20_49.57-0522.thumb.jpg.0aa6d0d1381bf37902625cce891f39dc.jpg

DISCLAIMERS:

· The purpose of this challenge has been simply to satisfy my curiosity and help a bit with fighting my boredom. I was inspired by this thread below and wanted to see for myself whether it’s possible for someone to manage hitting Tier VI under 24 hours in a brand new account with as few battles as possible, without botting and for free.  The whole challenge run was completed in about 10-11 hours with breaks and lunches, between 06.19-06.20.

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/193937-wanna-win-10000-recruitment-rumble/

· I don’t recommend to anyone without a lot of free time to try something similar.

· Don’t force yourself to this challenge unless you find this stuff fun or want to see how a newbie experiences the game nowadays. No need to put a time constraint.

· Results may vary; RNG plays quite a role as expected.

· Stay hydrated and take breaks between certain amounts of battles. Don’t stay on your chair all the time, stretch and in general move around for a bit.

These are my stats at the completion of the challenge if anyone is interested.

Post image
Post image

Notice date of account creation and last battle, as well as the single battle at tier VI to signify the completion of the challenge

With that out of the way, let’s get to methodology.

METHODOLOGY

The hurdles

First of all, you have to understand what you will be facing. Battle modes are locked, you have no access to Free XP, Camouflage, Commanders, Signals or Upgrades. You unlock them in the following order: Free XP>Upgrades>Commanders>Signals>Camouflage. In my case I finished my run as I got Signals unlocked so they didn’t play a role. Commander was at 5 points as well when I was done. So, with a possible exception, you will never be able to use skills like Concealment Expert that are basically must haves. Add to that the CV rework as well as Tier V Matchmaker being almost torturous, and this can get pretty bad, pretty quickly.

Things to consider before starting

In this specific run I decided on using a referral AND an invite code. This decision was godsend, otherwise I would be eating my shoes right now. While referral codes are standard among all players, there are lots of invite codes. The best I was able to find (and the one I used) was one giving 200 doubloons, Premium Ship Emden, St. Louis, 7 days Premium, 2.5 million credits and 20 camouflages (which were sadly not used). So from the get go you get 2 premium ships; Diana Lima and Emden. In addition 200 doubloons are 5000 Free XP, and the game gives you a few more as well. They are literally worth their weight in gold in helping you be properly kitted out when you set out in Random battles.

Pick your poison

The game has a huge variety of ships and a varied array of classes. In the case of choosing a tier VI ship as your speedrunning goal you have to consider not the tier VI itself, but rather it’s previous tiers and how well they can fit your playstyle.

In my case I decided on the Farragut; I mostly play DDs, I have a lot of experience with USN and the Tier IV and V, Clemson and Nicholas are both excellent ships. In addition Nicholas only has one hull upgrade and nothing else, and is just 35,5k XP away from Farragut.

I could have also gone the Omaha route since I would get a headstart by being immediately at tier III (due to the St.Louis) but decided against it due to Tier V Matchmaking and the lack of appropriate Commander Skills (mainly IFHE).

There is an argument to be made for VMF DDs as well. Diana Lima comes with a 9 point Commander, so when you unlock Commander Skills you can have a pretty capable commander at the helm of your ship.

BBs I wouldn’t recommend since most are slow and often not suited for quickly doing a lot of damage in Co-op.

Setting off; tiers II-III

First of all, getting the daily bonus on your premiums is a must. You will have to do it in Co-op but later on you will be able to convert their XP. Other than that, pretty straightforward stuff. You play, you unlock things. Don’t bother with unlocking modules, just straight to the next ship. In my opinion the rewards are still good in Co-op (especially with Premium Account), so you should be getting to tier II-III without much trouble.

By that point you will have reached tier IV soon enough, without any Random Battles yet. You should have Free XP unlocked by then; unlock Clemson, then convert 1750 Free XP to put on the Hull upgrade and more importantly the Artillery one. The latter doubles your firepower obviously. Now it’s time to dive into Random Battles, and oh boy is it an interesting experience.

Clemson or I am become death, destroyer of worlds.

First of all, let me say that tier IV at the moment is pretty weird and somewhat crazy as an environment. In the little time I have spent there I have encountered 6 CV battles, other Clemsons and DDs with 19 Point Commanders (seriously, some guy had even RPF), I even saw some guy in a Nikolai rocking Kuznetsov… but let’s get to the point.

Clemson is really an apex predator, a sealclubber favorite for as long as the game has existed with a well deserved reputation. In addition, something bizzare happens. Because the game still considers you a newbie it gives you a weird form of Matchmaker in Random Battles. Most of the teams are comprised of bots, with 1-3 human players on each side. Know what this means?

HOW CO-OP BATTLES WOULD LOOK IF YOU HAD RANDOM BATTLE REWARDS AND ACHIEVEMENTS.

Post image

Observe how it's only 2 human players per side, in Random, with bots....

Post image
Post image
Post image
Post image

Seriously, this s**t is hilarious. Take a look at these battle results, no wonder I ended up with ~89k average damage in Clemson. With such battles it is so so easy to hit Tier V and Nicholas.

By the point you unlock Nicholas you should have also unlocked Commander Skills and Upgrades. You will have ability to earn Containers by then too. What you need before jumping into your Tier V are the following:

· 4300 Free XP to unlock the single upgraded Hull

· Upgrades, Magazine Mod, Propulsion Mod and Aiming Systems.

· All your consumables must be premium, I chose DFAA because lots of CVs are at that tier spread. In addition, it pisses them off.

· When you get a container, I think try your luck is the better option. There is a chance for 750 Free XP to drop which is pretty valuable.

· 25 doubloons to “buy” a 3 Point Commander. You then put Priority Target and Last Stand to at least have a chance. When you get to 5 points get Adrenaline Rush, chances are you won’t get another point by the time you are done.

· The rest of the doubloons can be safely blown to get more Free XP and give you a small boost.

Post image

Post image

My nude, lewd Nickie

Nicholas and the final stretch

If things sounded easy so far, it’s because the toughest part is reserved for last. Now you pay back with interest for all your sins in Clemson.

· Constant uptiering? Check.

· People with more common sense than you having 10 Point+ Commanders? Check.

· CVs, CVs, and more CVs? Check.

· You having glorious 6.7km Concealment with the rest of the competition outspotting you by 1km+ ? Check.

· Being unable to mount Signals or Camouflage? Check.

Now consider that this is the average experience for someone just starting the game and reaching his first proper ship.

Here’s a screen from my first battle, with few exceptions this would be the norm.

Post image

Post image

Victory to the underdog!

Post image

And a battle with CV torture too!

The only pieces of advice I can give regarding this experience is to be patient, support your team, and try to get absolutely 110% out of your smokescreens, they are one of the few things you got going for you. Try putting your DPM to good use when fighting other DDs and don’t forget you got potent AP and your torps have quantity to compensate for their shortcomings. When facing CVs try to make yourself as difficult a target as possible, run around with AA off, switch sectors as much as you can with the DFAA on; you won’t do much versus tier VI CVs but you will give tier IVs a bloody nose.

If you feel you can’t take it anymore, play with your premium ships in Randoms or Co-op to convert some more Free XP, it will be put to good use.

You should have Campaigns as well unlocked at that point. From the 1st part pick only the ones rewarding you with Free XP, you won’t need the rest of the rewards.

And with this and that, after 13 Random Battles in Nicholas I finally got enough XP to unlock and buy Farragut, completing my challenge far beyond my expectations.

Post image

Success screen, Warspite being credited after my one and only Farragut battle.

Conclusions, observations:

1. Since this has been just more of a introductory try, there should be even faster routes to reaching tier VI. Abandoning Co-op completely when the option appears to play Randoms could be a way. That said, Co-op was effective as my “cooldown” mode.

2. What tier V matchmaking is going through at the moment is a big factor in turning new players away. When you face things like Scharnhorst or Sinop or Belfast or Helena in ships like New York or Omaha, you get the same feeling of helplessness as when being the only tier VIII in a tier X battle. You are just fodder for the big boys to enjoy.

3. All in all I had quite a bit of fun, and while I forced myself a bit at the end I don’t really regret it. I don’t know if I will be trying my hand at another run anytime soon but it was refreshing witnessing once more how it is to just have started the game, both with the good and the bad.

4. I would really like to see at some point WG considering a “race” event with specific rewards and limited time constraints. Still, there are bigger fish to fry.

Well, that’s about it from me! Thanks for hanging there with me till the end, hope it spawns some interest.

Edited by warheart1992
  • Cool 3
  • Boring 1

[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
2,612 posts
34,411 battles

Very nice read.

Good to see that Clemson still rocks.  I think Clemson and Kuma are the only sub tier 5 tech tree ships I still have in port.

[ARGSY]
Members
12,893 posts
8,245 battles
6 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

Because the game still considers you a newbie it gives you a weird form of Matchmaker in Random Battles. Most of the teams are comprised of bots, with 1-3 human players on each side. Know what this means?

This is the point in the game at which I got my first Kraken (in the Black Swan, as she was way back when). 12 vs 12, and the other 23 were all bots. I really cleaned up. I was so proud of myself... until later, when I realised that yes, it was randoms, but it was also still all bots :Smile_child:. That was a bit of a letdown! :Smile_teethhappy:

The real goal should be Tier 5, as it's the point where you first become eligible for Dailies etc. 

This is a very interesting exercise you embarked on, and a worthwhile one too; it lets newer players know that higher tiers and mission availability aren't an eternity away. However, I fear it's going to lead to a lot of people getting to T6 far too quickly, with detrimental effects on gameplay.

I guess the next challenge is to see how quickly an established account can get to T10, WITHOUT using FXP on hulls or entire ships. Or at the very least, only using the FXP you earned in the course of the grind (take a screenshot at the start for the record). With French destroyers coming in just a few patches, people will want to know this.

[HYDRO]
Members
3,560 posts
5,062 battles
6 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

This is the point in the game at which I got my first Kraken (in the Black Swan, as she was way back when). 12 vs 12, and the other 23 were all bots. I really cleaned up. I was so proud of myself... until later, when I realised that yes, it was randoms, but it was also still all bots :Smile_child:. That was a bit of a letdown! :Smile_teethhappy:

The real goal should be Tier 5, as it's the point where you first become eligible for Dailies etc. 

This is a very interesting exercise you embarked on, and a worthwhile one too; it lets newer players know that higher tiers and mission availability aren't an eternity away. However, I fear it's going to lead to a lot of people getting to T6 far too quickly, with detrimental effects on gameplay.

As of now Tier V is a reasonable goal. However the issues I encountered with Matchmaker and all the other issues of WoWs make me feel people should be made to stay longer at tier IV, to learn basics such as concealment, signals, camouflages, Commander skills in a more secure environment.

As for people getting to Tier VI quickly, believe me when I say I had to give 100%+ of my focus in doing well. You don't win anything by suiciding and the payout is meagre compared to trying. In addition I had lots of things going on for me. The 127mm's by now must be my most used weapon in the game and in general I have a knack for DDs.

That said, I would say that in about 10 days with mediocre gameplay you can comfortably reach tier VI.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
4,736 posts
15,454 battles

To address the elephant in the room, it's good to know that it's not time-efficient to try and cheese the refer-a-friend system by inviting yourself and grinding to T6. Plus, of course, the new reward system was restructured so that most of the points come from playing games in a div with the other account, which you can't easily do without a more substantial multiboxing commitment.

I didn't know protected matchmaking turned off at Tier 5 though, that's a pain.

Edited by Edgecase

[HYDRO]
Members
3,560 posts
5,062 battles
2 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

To address the elephant in the room, it's good to know that it's not time-efficient to try and cheese the refer-a-friend system by inviting yourself and grinding to T6. Plus, of course, the new reward system was restructured so that most of the points come from playing games with the other account, which you can't easily do without a more substantial multiboxing commitment.

I didn't know protected matchmaking turned off at Tier 5 though, that's a pain.

Thanks for pointing this out, while originally inspired by it, I didn't want to make this challenge a nod to people looking to toy the system. There are many hindrances and many issues that an average player won't be able to overcome easily. Protected Matchmaking shutting down at tier V is one such obstacle, though it can be argued it is even worse for the newer players.

You can go from farming devstrikes and achievements left and right to being meat for far far more experienced players.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
4,736 posts
15,454 battles
4 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

You can go from farming devstrikes and achievements left and right to being meat for far far more experienced players.

This being the forgotten downside to these latest pushes to get people playing mid-tiers in Randoms again.

[ARGSY]
Members
12,893 posts
8,245 battles
4 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

However the issues I encountered with Matchmaker and all the other issues of WoWs make me feel people should be made to stay longer at tier IV,

IIRC, you once did. I distinctly recall giving up on the Svietlana --> Kirov grind unfinished, at just over 11K XP, with 17K a vaguely remembered goal. When I repurchased Svietlana, intending to get on and finish it with my greater level of experience, I found to my surprise that it was actually done. I promptly played enough games to make the difference in credits between purchase and sale price, researched Kirov, and said goodbye to the Svietlana forever. 

However, given that WG themselves moved the bar for regular achievements and mission participation up to Tier 5, I think it was fair of them to shorten the grind. With T4 creeping back into contention again, your proposal to increase that requirement once more does have some merit (except for carriers - 68K is a brutal grind for a Tier 4 ship, even if you do go straight to T6 for finishing it, and one could argue for trimming that back a touch).

It's also worth noting, however, that with the branchpoint of the carrier trees shifting over to the DD line post-rework, IJN players potentially have to grind the Isokaze THREE times (for Minekaze, Mutsuki and Hosho) to the RN and USN's two (Acasta/Hermes and Nicholas/Langley), and lengthening that one would be a real pain in the aft. 

[HINON]
Supertester
21,338 posts
15,057 battles

Br00TCn.gif?noredirect

[WOLF7]
Members
12,189 posts
5 minutes ago, Lert said:

Br00TCn.gif?noredirect

Everyone is creating alts to exploit the new friends and family program....:Smile_facepalm:

[HINON]
Supertester
21,338 posts
15,057 battles
2 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

Boredom I would say, and a bit of challenge.

You know, that's fair and as honest an answer as anyone could've given.

[ARGSY]
Members
12,893 posts
8,245 battles
15 minutes ago, Wows_Nightly_News said:

YMMV

Considering how George Mallory ended up, mileage does indeed vary! :Smile_teethhappy: