Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Nukelavee45

Map (Terrain) Idea

7 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
1,602 posts
10,089 battles

This occurred to me the other day, as I was thinking about how islands shape the meta, but a lack of islands means, basically, ocean.  Which doesn't really add much variety to matches (except that that map shows up rarely).  So, how to map maps and tactics unique without simply turning maps into island humping.

Reefs.  And shoals.   Make use of that "not all ships fit" aspect by making obstacles to movement based upon water depth.  You'd end up with maps that direct flow to a point, you'd get spots passable by smaller ships vs larger ships.

It might change the meta a bit.

[OO7]
Members
5,209 posts
12,037 battles

They did have this at one point and everyone apparently hated it or didn't understand it, so they removed them

[RLGN]
Members
11,240 posts
20,260 battles

Okinawa used to have a few islands that blocked passage but not spotting/fire in C; not sure if they’re still there after the recent ‘improvements’ :Smile_sceptic: on that map.

[WGA]
Administrator
1,446 posts
14,064 battles

Heyo Nuke, 

We are definitely looking at map elements that will add variation into the current offering. With the recent map addition of Greece we included a special area where ships could shoot through a gap in the terrain. Which with it has some interesting interactions.

We're also currently experimenting with some levelution options for potential future maps as detailed here:

Fem, 

• Cool 1

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,099 posts
6,285 battles

I like unbalance because it means that sometimes you have the advantage and other times you have to fight for it. I miss those days.

[-K-]
Members
6,694 posts
11,173 battles
10 minutes ago, Femennenly said:

With the recent map addition of Greece we included a special area where ships could shoot through a gap in the terrain. Which with it has some interesting interactions.

I found this out the hard way last night in Ranked when I couldn't figure out how I was being spotted......then shot at.  Interesting feature.

Members
3,087 posts
6,156 battles

Let me add this....have islands that are closely clustered together but have dense FOG layed in so that even ships with hydro or Radar cannot reveal unless close up if another ship is nearby.  The FOG never moves or dissipates.    That would make for some surprise ambush games and would be fun...ya think?

Sign in to follow this