You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
sfcsabo

Make Radar a Damageable Module!

23 comments in this topic

[TXC]
Members
7 posts
7,827 battles

With the ongoing threats that the broken CV meta and Radar Cruisers pose to Destroyers. How many of you think that making Radar a damageable module would help balance gameplay for DD's? After all, the rotating Radar dish on a ship is a real thing is it not? Just like torpedo tubes, guns (both main battery and secondary), engines, and rudders  can be broken. By doing this the destroyer has a better chance of surviving what would normally be a perma spotting situation by CVs and Radar and the ultimate annihilation of DD's in a battle. Any ideas?

• Cool 3
  • Confused 2
  • Boring 2

[MIA-I]
Privateers
1,254 posts
12,756 battles

This is an interesting idea, considering how radar sets (and hydro sets), could be and often were, damaged by incoming fire or even by the shock of BBs firing their own guns. 

[WOLFC]
Members
1,664 posts

I seldom see radar ... playing Tier 7 and below ... but it seems logical and reasonable.

[-RNG-]
Supertester
2,679 posts
3,560 battles
16 minutes ago, sfcsabo said:

After all, the rotating Radar dish on a ship is a real thing is it not?

Technically it is not. Most time those kind of extremities are not counted in the hitboxes.

As for the concept itself, I think 6 seconds is plenty of time to start to counteract the radar. You can't really just 'de-consumable' a ship. Imagine a BB without heal? French cruisers without speed boost? Smikaze just 'losing' its smoke because some fool shoots you? Its stripping their identity. 

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
1,751 posts
18,164 battles

I honestly think that most of these modules should be breakable.  AA gets reduced in game (and isn't even repairable), DD's get tubes knocked out, engines can be killed (effecting "turbo").  I don't see a reason why radar or hydro shouldn't be affected as well.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
4,736 posts
15,454 battles

If the game were set up such that this were something you could plan for or play around (like shooting out main batteries and torpedo launchers in a close-range duel), then it could have merit. As it is, though, ships would likely not have enough accuracy, firing angles, or firing range to make it a purposeful action. That means it will just be a thing that happens randomly, and that wouldn't really contribute to gameplay.

• Cool 1

Members
276 posts

When torpedo launchers are hit, the torpedos should detonate and sink the destroyer. 

(Yes, this is a real thing.) 

The balance point on radar is the fact that it only works for a limited duration and you only get limited shots. Surely, torpedos should only run for 45 seconds and you should only get one reload, right? I've never gotten a devstrike with a radar beam!

[DAKI]
Privateers, Members
8,713 posts
7,704 battles

I can understand where you are coming from, although the justification does not really hold up.

Radar is different from main guns and torpedo tubes in the way that one of these is a consumable. If radar behaved like a main gun, then you'd have a point, but it doesn't.

Although if we went for damagable consumables, I am sure Destroyer players wouldn't mind their smoke canisters becoming modules as well. I mean, they are highly exposed equipment usually on the aft deck, so if a radar dish is fine, why not the smoke canister as well?

• Cool 1

[OKM]
Members
435 posts
3,128 battles

That was part of one of my idea in a change of HE. Reducing it's penetration, but increasing the number of module that can be damageable. You could have add:

Main Battery fire control directo (decrease accuracy of the main gun)

Range finder (decrease maximum range)

Secondary armament firing command post (decrease secondary accuracy)

Secondaries range finder (decrease secondaries range)

yare yare

That way, HE spammer would not be anymore the ''death of all ships'', but instead they would act in some sort of debuffer.

[A-D-F]
Members
885 posts
7,008 battles
59 minutes ago, sfcsabo said:

With the ongoing threats that the broken CV meta and Radar Cruisers pose to Destroyers. How many of you think that making Radar a damageable module would help balance gameplay for DD's? After all, the rotating Radar dish on a ship is a real thing is it not? Just like torpedo tubes, guns (both main battery and secondary), engines, and rudders  can be broken. By doing this the destroyer has a better chance of surviving what would normally be a perma spotting situation by CVs and Radar and the ultimate annihilation of DD's in a battle. Any ideas?

An idea that WG should certainly entertain. Radar on ships in WWII was hysterically (historically) a fairly fragile thing. A 5" shell, shell fragments, probably even just a lucky strafing run by a fighter plane, landing in the right place could take the system out of action.  I think one thing to consider would be the frequency of these system hits in total. Meaning that if radar & hydro are added as a damageable modules, then the occurrence of such module damage not be increased in probability/frequency, but that radar/hydro damage simply be added to the damage 'tables', thus spreading out damage among systems.

SireneRacker makes a point though. Doubtless the counter argument would be that premium consumables cost in-game silver or dubs, which means damage rolls would be effectively 'taking your money'.

[CAG-1]
Members
1,791 posts

I can see the logic in your train of thought OP... but the issue is that radar only lasts for ...what? Between 15 to 30 seconds depending on the ship? I forget...

So within that short time a DD is supposed to land a crippling blow to the radar of a ship? Sounds challenging.

I think the better idea would be to do what everyone has been crying for since the introduction of radar... make it a "line of sight" consumable that won't work behind islands. That would force those pesky island humping cruisers to stick their nose out and risk having it blown off by a torpedo salvo.

Admittedly the radar is better now than before the nerf... but introducing an "I win button" to CA/CL players encourages questionable game-play habits and discourages any high-tier DD play at all...

• Cool 1

[CAFE]
Beta Testers
4,495 posts

I think this is a fun idea.

Make Radar/Smoke/Hydro/Speed Boost  all able to be knocked out.

DD runs forward gets ready to smoke, bam.. Smoke generator Disabled for X Seconds.

[SC]
[SC]
Alpha Tester
223 posts
6,759 battles

If this is the case radar needs to work all the time and can be turned off while it is damaged, yet will repair with repair party consumable.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
1,751 posts
18,164 battles

39 minutes ago, Spyde said:

DD runs forward gets ready to smoke, bam.. Smoke generator Disabled for X Seconds.

Keep in mind this already happens to DDs ;-)  I'm not strictly a DD driver but nothing like zipping around an island and BAM your torp tubes are knocked out :D  

[TXC]
Members
7 posts
7,827 battles

To the idea of "in real life they were fragile and too easy to knock out", i entertain the  solution of giving it a percentage-able chance of being damaged. Just as HE for BBs has a "34% fire chance", only decrease the % of the RADAR module getting knocked out. (Example: 8% chance of unserviceable dmg). To the idea of "why not do it to the smoke canisters?" You could most certainly apply it to smoke as well...why not force a DD captain to play better strategically to manage his/her positioning as to not risk his/her smoke tubes. I think overall it would promote more strategy and make the game more interesting and challenging.

Edited by sfcsabo
correct a mispelling

[TXC]
Members
3 posts
12,027 battles

I have honestly thought about this a few times. I would suggest Radar, Hydro and Speed Boosters be damageable things. Not smoke though. Doesn't make sense for smoke. They could be damaged and even knocked out and Damage Control could work to restore operation. Put a timer on them like a fire or flooding has. This could help restore DD's playability a bit and longevity as well. You can make it rare but a thing that CAN happen. Would be good for the game IMO and good for DD play which - let's face it - THEY NEED but it wouldn't actually increase their power or change the play style.

• Cool 1

Members
2,179 posts
78 battles

This has already been repeated ad nauseum in the radar dumpster thread

And no, this is not happening.

• Funny 1

[TDG]
Members
1,660 posts
8,568 battles
22 hours ago, Seagrizzly said:

If this is the case radar needs to work all the time and can be turned off while it is damaged, yet will repair with repair party consumable.

Exactly, if it is a module like everything else, it should be available until damaged/destroyed.  And running continually until then.

Alpha Tester
3,831 posts
4,687 battles

No, because having an important part of your ship's balancing be destroyed because of factors you as a player cannot control or mitigate isn't fun. Even machinery crits and turret crits are kind of questionable from a player experience perspective, and those can be controlled much more or mitigated on ships that don't have the armor to protect those sections. Would you also like a fire control crit that results in your ship not being able to shoot at long range until repaired, which randomly happens based on damage to directors? Or a spotting crit from damage to the superstructure reducing view range? A smoke crit from damage to the stern? Speed crits from damage to engine uptakes or the ship's bow/stern?

[KTFO]
Members
25 posts
7,438 battles

Interesting concept.  I've always thought a counter radar jamming consumable for DDs would be better suited.  Cheers

[SIM]
Members
3,839 posts
6,404 battles

As soon as we begin making every consumable a damageable module, we’ll talk about doing so to radar. Until then? Hell no.