You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Grouchy_AESOP

New Player

31 comments in this topic

[ACES-]
Members
19 posts
357 battles

So played 200 games 3-4 years ago, enjoyed the game, but didn't have time for WOT and WOWS ( RL and family u know )

Thinking for coming back and playing WOWS and putting WOT aside for a bit

Looking for advice I'm sure the meta and game play has changed since I dipped my toe in this game the first time..........

What country and line would be the kindest learning curve for a newb.

What do I really need to know or watch out for..........etc

Best premiums right now 

any advice would be greatly appreciated,:Smile_smile:

and if anyone from IMPACT reads this I use to run with BBQ_Sub and Bone in ACES back in the day ( Grouchy ) say hello from me to them

Edited by AESOP_Retd
  • Cool 2

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,953 posts
4,321 battles
51 minutes ago, AESOP_Retd said:

So played 200 games 3-4 years ago, enjoyed the game, but didn't have time for WOT and WOWS ( RL and family u know )

Looking for advice I'm sure the meta and game play has changed since I dipped my toe in this game the first time..........

Best premiums right now 

and if anyone from IMPACT reads this I use to run with BBQ_Sub and Bone in ACES back in the day ( Grouchy ) say hello from me to them

Any specific lines you would like to grind up? Any specific classes? 

I personally feel that the USN lines teach very good traits all around.  They may not be the "Best" lines to grind up, however they teach you invaluable skills and techniques that translate to all other classes. 

• Cool 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
4,742 posts
15,454 battles

Best advice when a few hundred games in is to play to explore, whether that's exploring the game's mechanics by trying to understand a single line, or by exploring the ways the different lines play. Just keep in mind it's a 10,000 game game -- don't expect to have it "all figured out" until you notch that fifth digit. :fish_cute_2:

-Members-
1,640 posts
792 battles
23 minutes ago, AESOP_Retd said:

Best premiums right now 

Hey AESOP_Retd,

Welcome back to WoWs! The community is very knowledgeable and can help you with some tricks and tips.

A few questions to begin with:

1. Any nations in particular interest you more than others? My suggestion would be start with USN or IJN.
  2. What ship type did you like to play when you played originally?

A few tips:

• Play a few games for a few different nations to get a feel for them and see which one fits you better. You will start to see the nation's strengths and weaknesses as you move further down the tech tree.
  • Learn the basics of the game before you start trying to move into high tiers. Get the basics down in the low to mid tiers so when you do move into high tiers it is not as painful.
  • Check out the guide I have started on the forums: 

Feel free to ask any questions related to gameplay or ship types and the community will be glad to help you out!

• Cool 5

[-RNG-]
Supertester
2,685 posts
3,560 battles

Depends on the class. It's different form tanks in that mediums can pretend they are heavies if the situation arizes...  here, a cruiser pretends to be a DD and it is knocked down quick. 

If you havent played your first battle yet, make sure you get an invite code from someone. You can get rewards if you havent played a battle in 3 months. 

Edited by _1204_

[ACES-]
Members
19 posts
357 battles
3 minutes ago, _1204_ said:

Depends on the class. It's different form tanks in that mediums can pretend they are heavies if the situation arizes...  here, a cruiser pretends to be a DD and it is knocked down quick. 

If you havent played your first battle yet, make sure you get an invite code from someone. You can get rewards if you havent played a battle in 3 months. 

First Thank you for the advice

Second.............anyone have a code?

[KRAK]
Members
2,797 posts
17,460 battles
19 minutes ago, Ricelaif said:

Play odd number tier ships for less CV matchmaking

That does nothing to prevent a CV from being in game? The MM is +/- 2

[-RNG-]
Supertester
2,685 posts
3,560 battles
8 minutes ago, AESOP_Retd said:

anyone have a code?

https://warships.us/_1204_ try this

edit: It looks like you get 14 days premium and 2 super containers for winning 25 games above tier 4. Not bad for just clicking a link. If we division together, you can earn recruitment points to buy more crates with.

Edited by _1204_
  • Cool 1

[WORX]
Members
5,037 posts
15,593 battles

I recommend

• IJN BB line
  • RU BB line
  • US cruiser line
  • For the current meta, no DDs.

GL/HF

• Cool 1

[LOSC]
[LOSC]
Members
400 posts

Get in an Omaha and also Furutaka and learn them you will thank me later!

[TDRB]
Members
2,981 posts
8,958 battles

I would add the French BB's & cruisers. I really enjoy the French cruisers.

WG completely reworked the CV's. This has changed the game's meta. But you must be facing T4 or high ships to see CV's in the match.

[ACES-]
Members
19 posts
357 battles
34 minutes ago, Halli_SPARTA said:

Thanks

[BUOY]
Members
394 posts
10,163 battles

My tips

1. With their massive HP pools, heals at all tiers and big guns, BB's have always been the newb friendliest class of ship to play although each line does have its quirks. The USN is stuck at 21 knots max speed until T8, however it also has the most and (imo) best BB premiums overall available to purchase, but while I personally didn't mind the slow speed of the standards, most people have very unfond memories of T5-T7 for being so slow. OTOH another newb friendly BB line would surprisingly be their newest, the RU/VMF line. The French BB line is also very worth considering because it has the T9 coal premium Jean Bart available for 'only' 171,000 coal with the ship coupon and unlike the Georgia, which is quirky, the Jean Bart is a 1:1 captain trainer for the French line.

2. T1 ships can only see other T1 ships now and T2-T4 have protected +1 matchmaking i.e. T4 can only see up to T5 while T5 and above have +2 matchmaking which means they can see T7's. This makes matchmaking very painful for T5 since WG also discourages low tier sealclubbing by making most in game events and achievements T5+ only so not as many people are encouraged to play T4. Matchmaking is also painful for T8 since WG has pushed T9/T10 events very hard for the past year and so you get situations where you can be the only T8 on your team, although in that case if you're good and/or lucky enough you can rake in mad XP and credits while the T9's and 10's might avoid targeting you over your juicier teammates. Basically if you're a T8 in a T10 heavy match, try to make yourself the worst target for the enemy to shoot at for the first half of the match. 

3. Pick the 'more resources' containers for your daily containers since it has 400 coal guaranteed with each drop and all the other drops are useful in being 500FXP or 3 flags that are usually valuable economic flags (occasionally you'll get 3 ramming flags... but eh...)

4. If you have Tanks premium time activated, you can get a doubloon 'rebate' of 25 per day if you buy Warships premium which has a 1.65x XP multiplier instead of 1.5, but you have to activate the Tanks premium time first. Also, if you're looking to buy a premium ship, look in the armory first and see if it's available for doubloons, if it is and you're willing to spend $49.99 in one transaction then you can buy the 'Admiral's Bounty' which gives you the maximum 'bang for your buck' when it comes to doubloons per dollar (excluding sales of course) and comes with 30 days of Ships premium thrown in (+750 doubloons if you already have Tanks premium activated).

5. When it comes to premium ships you can only reasonably get with RL$, most people including me would say the Scharnhorst is one of the best.

edit:

6. The meta is very CV heavy now since the rework greatly reduced their skill ceiling as well as bringing their gameplay more in line with the rest of the game, so expect to see 1 and sometimes even 2 CV's per game. CV's are actually a viable choice for a new player to try out thanks to this (as opposed to the days of RTS CV's where if you were a newbie and got paired against a better player your team basically autolost. 

Edited by lloyd1701

[ACES-]
Members
19 posts
357 battles
29 minutes ago, lloyd1701 said:

My tips

1. With their massive HP pools, heals at all tiers and big guns, BB's have always been the newb friendliest class of ship to play although each line does have its quirks. The USN is stuck at 21 knots max speed until T8, however it also has the most and (imo) best BB premiums overall available to purchase, but while I personally didn't mind the slow speed of the standards, most people have very unfond memories of T5-T7 for being so slow. OTOH another newb friendly BB line would surprisingly be their newest, the RU/VMF line. The French BB line is also very worth considering because it has the T9 coal premium Jean Bart available for 'only' 171,000 coal with the ship coupon and unlike the Georgia, which is quirky, the Jean Bart is a 1:1 captain trainer for the French line.

2. T1 ships can only see other T1 ships now and T2-T4 have protected +1 matchmaking i.e. T4 can only see up to T5 while T5 and above have +2 matchmaking which means they can see T7's. This makes matchmaking very painful for T5 since WG also discourages low tier sealclubbing by making most in game events and achievements T5+ only so not as many people are encouraged to play T4. Matchmaking is also painful for T8 since WG has pushed T9/T10 events very hard for the past year and so you get situations where you can be the only T8 on your team, although in that case if you're good and/or lucky enough you can rake in mad XP and credits while the T9's and 10's might avoid targeting you over your juicier teammates. Basically if you're a T8 in a T10 heavy match, try to make yourself the worst target for the enemy to shoot at for the first half of the match. 

3. Pick the 'more resources' containers for your daily containers since it has 400 coal guaranteed with each drop and all the other drops are useful in being 500FXP or 3 flags that are usually valuable economic flags (occasionally you'll get 3 ramming flags... but eh...)

4. If you have Tanks premium time activated, you can get a doubloon 'rebate' of 25 per day if you buy Warships premium which has a 1.65x XP multiplier instead of 1.5, but you have to activate the Tanks premium time first. Also, if you're looking to buy a premium ship, look in the armory first and see if it's available for doubloons, if it is and you're willing to spend $49.99 in one transaction then you can buy the 'Admiral's Bounty' which gives you the maximum 'bang for your buck' when it comes to doubloons per dollar (excluding sales of course) and comes with 30 days of Ships premium thrown in (+750 doubloons if you already have Tanks premium activated).

5. When it comes to premium ships you can only reasonably get with RL$, most people including me would say the Scharnhorst is one of the best.

edit:

6. The meta is very CV heavy now since the rework greatly reduced their skill ceiling as well as bringing their gameplay more in line with the rest of the game, so expect to see 1 and sometimes even 2 CV's per game. CV's are actually a viable choice for a new player to try out thanks to this (as opposed to the days of RTS CV's where if you were a newbie and got paired against a better player your team basically autolost. 

Thanks very informative. 

[_RNG_]
Members
709 posts
5,625 battles
2 hours ago, AESOP_Retd said:

Thinking for coming back and playing WOWS

Do it! This game is awesome.

I'd be happy to division up with you and share what I know. Which, after only a year and a half, with only 2,000 Random games, is not a lot. But I can explain a few things.

Please let us know how it goes as you play more and more. Here's why I say that: on the forums there is a lot of frustration right now with some of the recent changes to the game (mostly Aircraft Carriers). But I wonder if a person who is new to the game will see it the same way. I'd be interested to hear your experience.

Also, as a Destroyer main, I will speak up that DDs are very playable right now, at all tiers, so if they interest you go for it!

And don't hesitate to keep asking questions here on the forums: a lot of friendly and knowledgeable people ready to help you out.

Members
23,232 posts
5,863 battles
2 hours ago, Vaffu said:

That does nothing to prevent a CV from being in game? The MM is +/- 2

No, but it guarantees you won't see a CV 2 tiers higher. Of course, it also guarantees you won't see one same tier or 2 tiers lower, but I think many are of the mind that it's the 2 tier higher CV that makes their game miserable.

• Cool 1

[ACES-]
Members
19 posts
357 battles
12 minutes ago, Jester_of_War said:

Do it! This game is awesome.

I'd be happy to division up with you and share what I know. Which, after only a year and a half, with only 2,000 Random games, is not a lot. But I can explain a few things.

Please let us know how it goes as you play more and more. Here's why I say that: on the forums there is a lot of frustration right now with some of the recent changes to the game (mostly Aircraft Carriers). But I wonder if a person who is new to the game will see it the same way. I'd be interested to hear your experience.

Also, as a Destroyer main, I will speak up that DDs are very playable right now, at all tiers, so if they interest you go for it!

And don't hesitate to keep asking questions here on the forums: a lot of friendly and knowledgeable people ready to help you out.

Thanks for the offer will add you when I stat playing

[KILL]
Members
73 posts
7,675 battles

Its the same garbage that WG turned WoT into, just with a different paint job. My advice for everyone, the steam summer sale is next week, go find a fun game to play and leave this rigged failure in the waste bin.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 2
  • Angry 1

[ACES-]
Members
19 posts
357 battles
9 hours ago, Halli_SPARTA said:

IJN first so looking forward to Furutaka

• Cool 2

[KRAK]
Members
2,797 posts
17,460 battles
9 hours ago, Skpstr said:

No, but it guarantees you won't see a CV 2 tiers higher. Of course, it also guarantees you won't see one same tier or 2 tiers lower, but I think many are of the mind that it's the 2 tier higher CV that makes their game miserable.

That may be but the person I quoted claimed you would see less CV and thats just not true.

Members
23,232 posts
5,863 battles
11 hours ago, Vaffu said:

That may be but the person I quoted claimed you would see less CV and thats just not true.

Good point, I misread what they posted.

Beta Testers
3,224 posts
12,937 battles
23 hours ago, AESOP_Retd said:

Best premiums right now 

I will be straight upfront with you, there is so much discourse atm due to the CV rework, that many people on the forums as such, have said they have stopped opening their wallet, what others are doing is up to them.

If I was you I would have a good look through the forums, as the disaster of this rework, is far from getting sorted out, and it has been going on for 6 months now.

I would say enter at your own risk, and don't be disappointed when you realise this is so far from what it used to be.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[FML]
Members
2,862 posts
12,773 battles
23 hours ago, AESOP_Retd said:

Best premiums right now 

Welcome (back?) to WOWS :)

Regarding good premium ships, the Scharnhorst remains an excellent value option as it provides a great combination of fun, experience, credits, captain training and fun.  Other good 'premium' ships you can actually earn for free eventually just by playing the game via the Armoury for Coal, Steel and Free XP - including T9 and T10 premium ships.  Eventually, you should try and pick those ships up too. 

But to get you started, I provide the below advice as suggestions for what country and line that have good learning curves. 

Otherwise, best of luck.  Happy to division (ie, platoon) up with you - just send me a message in-game.  I am usually on about this time. 

For new players, I recommend the following as easy to learn and to play: 

• Destroyers: American destroyers are the easiest to play - their fast firing guns, and torpedoes on both sides (at low tier) means that its a fast, fun run-and-gun style, with great smoke screens.  They are very forgiving - rush in, gun enemy destroyers, and if you win and live, then rush up to a battleship and shove him up with torps... once you get more experience, you can do all of those things better, faster, longer etc. 
  • Cruisers: French cruisers are probably the easiest to play at low-mid tiers. Load HE, shoot slow targets at near your max range to set them on fire - when they repair those fires, set more.  Dodge incoming shells (particularly from battleships) by slamming into full reverse and throwing the rudder over into a hard turn - then accelerate away again before the next salvo comes.  Use your long-range torpedos to shoot down narrow alleys where the enemy is coming from - sometimes you'll get a hit, and it'll be great. More fires!
    • DO NOT start on the British Cruiser line - these ships take detailed understanding and experience of the game mechanics in order to play; things like target selection, map positioning, map awareness, spotting mechanics, AP bounce and shatter mechanics, smoke screens, fire detection range in smoke, sonar and torpedo aim all to be functional. Experienced players even struggle with this line.  Steer clear.  
  • Battleships: 
    • British: These are sturdy battleships that have excellent HE direct damage and high fire chance - unlike most battleships, shooting HE at things will make them go boom. Because of that, and because they have decent armour protection generally, these battleships are easy to learn: aim well, and profit. 
    • German: Much stronger armour, but wonky/inaccurate main guns - you'll mostly be shooting AP shells at enemy battleships and cruisers.  However, your battleships have good to excellent secondary battery (particularly from Tier 7) and are a defining feature of the line.  Because they are meant to be played up close to the enemy, these ships are easier to aim, take solid damage, and encourage your team to push the capture point you're currently on, helping to win games. 
  • Aircraft carriers: Personally, I suggest avoiding them entirely for now - they are very different to play and hard to do well at.  They are currently undergoing a major re-work (moving from a 2D RTS style control interface into controlling only one squadron at a time in the 3D environment view you know from playing other ships).  Until the re-work settles down, and community contributors can make specialised content to help new players approach carrier play, I suggest learning the other ships first.  There will be plenty of time to come back to carriers later.  

Once you have a few more battles under your belt, I strongly encourage you to read the following: 

#StandardWords

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
1,568 posts
6,045 battles
20 hours ago, HauptmannHope said:

Its the same garbage that WG turned WoT into, just with a different paint job. My advice for everyone, the steam summer sale is next week, go find a fun game to play and leave this rigged failure in the waste bin.

CRAP!  Why did you have to remind me?  I already have a backlog of games to play from the last big sale!  :Smile_facepalm:

Actually, thanks for reminding me.  I am looking forward to it.  +1.  :Smile_medal:

• Funny 1