Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Brhinosaurus

Rank 1... nothing but DDs

12 comments in this topic

[R-F]
Members
1,510 posts
8,773 battles

I've never ranked out before this season.  In fact my previous best was rank 5.

rank1.thumb.jpg.31e9106c298811e0cbd500374b722a91.jpg

All stars obtained via destroyer.  I'm not counting the one loss in the Minotaur.  In previous seasons it didn't seem possible for me to make any headway once I hit rank 5.  I don't know if I've gotten better or if carriers have actually shaken up the meta so much that a destroyer can exert more influence.  I mean... that doesn't make any sense at all, does it?  I certainly didn't save my star in very many losses... probably no more than two or three.

Mostly I feel lucky.  There were a number of games where I did not play my best, took a quick trip back to port, but my teammates dragged me to a win anyhow.  XpliCT_ from [SUCIT] got me a star I absolutely did not deserve, and MyTeamIsProbPotato from [TNG] took a game where our team was already trying to decide who to blame most for a loss, scored a Kraken, and got us the win.  There were others as well.  So thanks for the help, everyone... and good luck to everyone still trying.

• Cool 4
  • Confused 1

[CAFE]
Members
1,726 posts
12,446 battles
2 hours ago, Brhinosaurus said:

I've never ranked out before this season.  In fact my previous best was rank 5.

rank1.thumb.jpg.31e9106c298811e0cbd500374b722a91.jpg

All stars obtained via destroyer.  I'm not counting the one loss in the Minotaur.  In previous seasons it didn't seem possible for me to make any headway once I hit rank 5.  I don't know if I've gotten better or if carriers have actually shaken up the meta so much that a destroyer can exert more influence.  I mean... that doesn't make any sense at all, does it?  I certainly didn't save my star in very many losses... probably no more than two or three.

Mostly I feel lucky.  There were a number of games where I did not play my best, took a quick trip back to port, but my teammates dragged me to a win anyhow.  XpliCT_ from [SUCIT] got me a star I absolutely did not deserve, and MyTeamIsProbPotato from [TNG] took a game where our team was already trying to decide who to blame most for a loss, scored a Kraken, and got us the win.  There were others as well.  So thanks for the help, everyone... and good luck to everyone still trying.

Those images are clearly photoshopped. Everyone knows DDs are unable to rank out because of CVs. 

:cap_popcorn:

• Boring 1
  • Angry 1

[SYN]
Members
15,355 posts
12,506 battles
1 minute ago, JustAdapt said:

Those images are clearly photoshopped. Everyone knows DDs are unable to rank out because of CVs. 

nah, it's real

All the really good CVs ranked out within 5 days, leaving the really awful ones stuck in R6 to R20

• Cool 2

Members
1,140 posts
4,533 battles
1 hour ago, JustAdapt said:

Its not hard.

But its certainly not fun anytime i gotta face a cv in a dd. 

Members
1,140 posts
4,533 battles
4 hours ago, Brhinosaurus said:

Ive always played ranked and purposefully stopped at rank 5. Even early in the season (minus this one, i was late) 

On a whim, i started the rank 5 grind with similar win rates and damage, because why not ill give it a shot. I dont need the steel, but maybe for the good games. 

Ive lost patience after 5 games and decided to quit again, failed to save a star twice and easily carried myself from rank 6 bracket back to 5 several times, but once i hit 5 again i spent maybe 15-20 minutes dodging cv games before i even got into a game. Then, I cant offset a star save against poor damage farming ships that refuse to play even a little bit aggressive to help me gain back map control they give up. Ive even tried being nice and asking for a bit of support on denying caps, hell anything to stop from losing map control, but i can only do so much before i need some help from my team. Im not overextending, im not playing poorly, I just cant compensate for selfish players in a dd, unless i get lucky and kill all the dds and farm 100k.. DDs are all i play. 

Is it my dd choices? I know the daring is extremely strong, but i find its speed bad for flexing. 

Did you avoid CV's in que?

Is it the time table i play at? 

12 am to 6am usa east? 

Ignore the 0%s boats. I dont play anything but ranked 8-10, and dds only. I dont play sprints. Suggestions? Keep grinding? 

UFRwz2y.png

https://imgur.com/UFRwz2y

Edited by Report_CVs

Members
48 posts
9,659 battles
3 hours ago, Brhinosaurus said:

I don't know if I've gotten better or if carriers have actually shaken up the meta so much that a destroyer can exert more influence.  I mean... that doesn't make any sense at all, does it?

Not carriers, and even if your individual skill stayed the same you would have had better results than before. The average skill level in ranked took a nose dive this season because people who couldn't play ranked before just used rentals; they're absolutely everywhere in the 18-11 bracket.

Nothing wrong with the players in the rentals, but the increase in population caused by the glut of inexperienced rental players helped more people that wouldn't have easily made it into the upper brackets get there fast and stay there.

And so this has been the easiest season since I started playing ranked a year and a half ago. The 10-6 bracket actually felt like randoms and the 5-2 wasn't much better.

The hardest part about this season was sitting in queue with 1CV, hand on the escape key, praying to our lord Jesus Christ in heaven that another one didn't join the queue and smashing escape if one did.

• Cool 1

Members
1,140 posts
4,533 battles
10 minutes ago, Kelsier3 said:

Not carriers, and even if your individual skill stayed the same you would have had better results than before. The average skill level in ranked took a nose dive this season because people who couldn't play ranked before just used rentals; they're absolutely everywhere in the 18-11 bracket.

Nothing wrong with the players in the rentals, but the increase in population caused by the glut of inexperienced rental players helped more people that wouldn't have easily made it into the upper brackets get there fast and stay there.

And so this has been the easiest season since I started playing ranked a year and a half ago. The 10-6 bracket actually felt like randoms and the 5-2 wasn't much better.

The hardest part about this season was sitting in queue with 1CV, hand on the escape key, praying to our lord Jesus Christ in heaven that another one didn't join the queue and smashing escape if one did.

Ive never had to press a esc button so fast in my life. 

• Cool 1

[R-F]
Members
1,510 posts
8,773 battles
6 hours ago, Report_CVs said:

Is it my dd choices? I know the daring is extremely strong, but i find its speed bad for flexing. 

Did you avoid CV's in que?

Is it the time table i play at? 

12 am to 6am usa east? 

Ignore the 0%s boats. I dont play anything but ranked 8-10, and dds only. I dont play sprints. Suggestions? Keep grinding? 

I mostly used Daring but switched more to Shima towards the end.  Daring is great at getting you out of trouble (many smokes, hydro, heal) but is not so likely to land game-changing damage.  Shima is much better at that.

I did some CV avoiding but not too much.  Mostly they seemed pretty hard to avoid, especially in the last couple days.  I played mostly 7pm-midnight EST.  

If you can maintain the win rates you're putting up so far you will rank out eventually, it's just a question of if you have the time and patience to put in enough battles or not.

5 hours ago, Kelsier3 said:

You're right about the skill level.  Used to be the rank 5-2 league was made up almost entirely of Hurricane and Typhoon clan type players.  I can usually hang with those guys but I certainly can't bully them and turn a loss into a win.  This time, there might be a couple of those guys on any given team, but there's just as likely to be several average or below average players.

I think carriers have shaken up the cruiser meta quite a bit too though, even in games without a carrier.  You're seeing less radar and they're pushing less aggressively.  There is more opportunity for a destroyer to get into an advantageous position to take a cap or launch a useful torpedo volley.

[R-F]
Members
1,510 posts
8,773 battles
1 hour ago, CaptainTeddybear said:

rabk1.png

Wow... what's the source on that? 

[EGIRL]
Beta Testers
4,340 posts
13,110 battles
10 hours ago, JustAdapt said:

yep of course photoshopped, how someone play with dds in ranked with cvs on match? Thats sounds so much impossible to be real!

/sarcasm

Sign in to follow this