Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Kalari

battleship overview requested

10 comments in this topic

Members
3 posts
387 battles

looking to start a crawl down a BB line but i have no idea what each line is about. i dont know how i got it but i have a 10 point Russian captain if that makes a difference. Also used to german cruisers.

any information would be welcome. thank you in advance fellow captains

Members
1,045 posts

Russian will work. The only one I do not like is T6.

Which Tier 10 BB do u want to end up with?   That is the line you want to grind. 

Members
3 posts
387 battles

that.....is prolly where i shoulda started. but im so lost on battlewagons that (atm) they all look the same to me. yamato has the biggest guns, i hear good things about montanas guns, conquerer can pretty much print its self a new ship, the G. kurfurst is basically its own state. 

[-RNG-]
Supertester
2,684 posts
3,560 battles

Finally, something better to do than calc HW:Smile-_tongue:

Japanese One of the first BB lines in the game, it kind of jumps around a lot. From the quick and speedy Kongo to the slow and cumbersome Izumo... its all over the place. Generally speaking, the low tiers have a large reach, and as you move up they start to hit hard. They are generally well armored, and will teach you fine gunnery. A good line for beginners I would say, as long as you know what to expect and where the big jumps are. The line ends with Yamato. One of two ships with 460mm cannons, it can over-match cruiser bows and send anything back to port with a single salvo. Plus, the historical beauty. Need I say more?

American Also the original BB line, the US focuses on having MUCH greater broadside firepower. At low tiers, they often have several more guns than their Japanese counterparts, which is a major attraction of the branch. Typically they will take a brawl better than a Japanese BB. They have better armored citadels, at the expense of bow armor (among other extremities). The dreadnought ideal (big and slow) sticks around for quite a while (through tier 7), but once you hit tier 8 they become very nice ships indeed. The jump can be staggering though (from Colorado to NC), so be ready. At tier 10 you have the Montana. IMO it is the _perfect_ all-rounder ship, and for high level competitive play, I will be surprised if she is ever dethroned. Very tanky, very precise, very potent.

British The oddball of the BBs Game. These BBs specialize at slinging HE, which is just wack. They do it very well, and 3 fire salvos are oh so funny, but they will not teach you anything about real BB play. I would hold off on them for the time being, but they wont punish you. Some have decent AP, but many have trashy AP and typically turn to HE for decent games. As you said, the Conqs heal is an absolute meme. Its a fun line, but there are better places to learn from. 

German These were meant to be the brawlers. Pretty much awful dispersion at their max range, the goal was to get in to brawling distance and execute anything that is near. Once you hit tier 8, the secondary battery (if specced for it) reaches out past 11km! That also turns to a downside though. Secondary builds are pricey, and its a waste not to maximize German secondaries. We are looking at 8 capt points and several upgrade slots, just for your basics. Personally, I think the line in its entirety has been powercreeped a fair bit. They will win an in your face brawl any day, but that is so rare you are dead before you get the chance. Unless you are dying for secondaries, its a pass from me. The whole 'hard to citadel' is true, but there is a big footnote. Germans eat AP shells for breakfast. I can almost argue that turtle-back is bad for that reason... Its so easy to pen 3 shells on a GK, which is the same amount of damage as 1 citadel hit. But don't let me scare you... there is plenty of people who play GK and love it to bits.

French The french tree is a bunch of gems. From Normandie on up, there is not a bad ship in the line. Lyon with its 16 guns, Richie with its forward guns, Everything 8+ has engine boost and respectable secondaries (can get out past 9km iirc). They are great, and the Repub is a pretty fun ship. Dunno if I would take it in a ranked or CB, but it is very unique with its speed boost, 20 second reload, and quad turrets (shared throughout the line). They combine a lot of stuff into one, so maybe hold off... but there is no glaring issues like the Royal Navy. 

Russians Russians are the new guys on the block. Still fighting for a place on the food chain. They specialize in mid range, so 8-15km. They get dispersion buffs, so the closer you are the more accurate you get. within 8km and you are laser accurate. Able to dump bunches of shells on citadels, superstructures, or wherever it may be. However I will forewarn, the high skill potential of these ships comes with a high skill floor. They force you in close, which is risky in a BB. A new player in a -2 tier match forced within 15km WILL NOT end well. Play it right, and a tier 7 can bully tier 9s, but you need just the right situation and very good play. At tier 10 we have the Kremlin. Its great in randoms, and a god in ranked, but like the rest of the line, you have to know your stuff, be cautious, and comfortable in dangerous ranges. You show your broadside and it is free citadels. 

If you want a new line, my personal pick is either Japan or America. Anything works, but I would caution against Russians or British. Of course this is a general overview, just spitting off what is on the top of my head (sorry for any spelling/grammar). I skipped some big parts like Germans hydro, KM and RN quarter pen HE, and other valuable traits of these lines. If you need more help or suggestions, feel free to add me in game or DM me here. I have all the BB's in my port (save for a premium or two). Frankly BBs are really all I play. Just love their style. I'm pretty busy as of recently, but I'm sure we could squeeze some games in if ya wanna roll some! The glory of MMO games like this is you can try them all out as you go. WoWS economy isn't rough. Its not too hard to earn enough  credits to sustain yourself. Everything up to tier 5 is more or less the same anyhow, so there is no harm in working up a bit then stopping. 

• Cool 1

Members
3 posts
387 battles

_1204_ that was EXACTLY what i was looking for. 

and based on your info i think imma give the americans a go. still love my german cruisers tho

[-RNG-]
Supertester
2,684 posts
3,560 battles

Can't go wrong with America! Lining up all 6 of those turrets on Wyoming and just cutting loose never gets old. That was my sweetheart ship when I first started this game. So much fun in that little tier 4.

High tiers are complete beasts too:cap_horn:NC and up are all similar, so you arent thrown any curveballs. They get a special upgrade in slot 6 that heavily boosts their dispersion. Made me so much more of a potent CB Montana

[MLPVA]
Members
295 posts
3,679 battles
53 minutes ago, _1204_ said:

there is plenty of people who play GK and love it to bits

Present and accounted for.

• Funny 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
21,245 posts
19,617 battles

German Battleships with their turtlebacks protecting their citadels for surface ship combat, their speed, and great secondaries make them easy, forgiving to play.  You can make a mistake in a German BB that will get you rekt in other BB Lines.  You may eat a bunch of Pens and Overpens, but getting Citadels against German BBs in surface combat requires some serious work and luck.  I remember playing FDG in Tier IX, playing "Okinawa" map.  I made a mistake and pushed up too far in the middle.  I had something like half the enemy team shooting at me from all kinds of different angles.  I couldn't stop, reverse and bow tank, because I'd just get DPM'd and eventually die.  I had to do a risky 180 degree turn in front of the entire enemy team.  But FDG survived that.  I got back enough to go back into stealth. FDG was battered but survived.  I recovered some with eventual Repair Party use.  Had I done that in another Non-German BB, I'd have gotten deleted.

But that extremely forgiving survival capability, speed, secondaries come at a steep cost... Your Main Battery reliability is awful.  Gun size isn't a problem, they're competitive for their tiers.  The power of the shells also isn't a problem.  The AP is good enough, the HE gets special HE Pen.  It's Main Battery accuracy.

It's all fine for them when they're beating up on mid and low tier ships, many BBs there with 21kt speeds that can't escape from your faster German Brawler BB.  There are mid tier Cruisers whose max gun range is almost reached by the Secondaries range of a Secondary Spec Bismarck / Tirpitz.  But when the fighting is long range, as is often the case in High Tier, or a match state where both teams are standing off, that's where you see German BBs struggle.

German BBs have a low skill floor but a low skill ceiling, if you get what I mean.  The low ceiling is due to the Main Battery unreliability.  But they're fast and easy to survive in.  Mistakes in other BB Lines that get you rekt, you'll brush it off in a German BB.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[UN1]
Members
641 posts
2,327 battles
21 hours ago, Kalari said:

looking to start a crawl down a BB line but i have no idea what each line is about. i dont know how i got it but i have a 10 point Russian captain if that makes a difference. Also used to german cruisers.

any information would be welcome. thank you in advance fellow captains

I'd go with the French line.  French battleships are tons of fun, as they're built to be effective in all major combat zones (close, medium, and long range), but not so effective that they overshadow the other more specialized nations.  You'll be able to find your flavor pretty quickly with the French ships, and because they're built for it, they'll still do well no matter how you spec them. 

French ships also all play pretty similarly, so what you learn at T5 applies to T6, and so on and so forth.

Edited by Ranari

[ARS]
Beta Testers
3,163 posts
2,993 battles
On 6/19/2019 at 10:38 PM, _1204_ said:

One of two ships with 460mm cannons, it can over-match cruiser bows and send anything back to port with a single salvo.

Note: Yamato and Musashi over-match all extremity plating, BBs included, but not including the thicker plates found all the way forward on some German and Russian ships.  It is Republique, Kremlin, Ohio and Thunderer than over-match cruiser extremities, but not BB extremities.

Sign in to follow this