Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
S842

Yes, the Murmansk is worth it (Victory competition ship)

16 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

88
[MPYRE]
Members
234 posts
18,949 battles

The Victory competition is about to end and some players may be wondering what to do with their "Provision Tokens".  If you have the 500 tokens for the Commander Nikolay Kuznetsov, fine, get him.  However, if you are not going to get to 500, I am here to tell you that the Murmansk is a good premium ship for 200 tokens.  I got her today, and have some left for other things.

The Murmansk is a Russian version of the Omaha with certain changes.  If you have the Phoenix or Omaha you have some idea how the  Murmansk plays.  I have a 62% win rate in my Phoenix and 58% in my Omaha, so I feel I have the credentials to evaluate the Murmansk.  Here are the main differences between Omaha and Murmansk and why I feel Murmansk is better than Omaha and will be a good credit earner, and Russian Commander trainer (you can also move an existing well trained Russian Commander into the Murmansk with no penalty to skills as she is a premium).

Torp range - 5.5 km Omaha.          8.o km Murmansk (each has three per side)

Gun Range - 15.2 km Omaha.        14.8 km Murmansk  However, Murmansk has a spotter plane giving 17.76 km range.

HE fire chance - 9% Omaha.           14% Murmansk  This is a huge difference and makes Murmansk an excellent fire starter.

Maneuverability - 600 turn radius, 5.7  second rudder shift Omaha.           590 turn radius,  3.8 second rudder shift Murmansk.   So Murmansk can evade torps and shells better.

AA - here the Omaha is better as she can mount fighter planes.  Otherwise AA is close but favors Omaha.  Neither is good.

Key to doing well in the Omaha/Murmansk is to not show your side (armor is weak), use your HE and gun range to start fires, your maneuverability to evade torps and shells.  Don't rush about trying to torp ships (especially battleships) as your armor is weak, the torps are slow (55 km), and you only have three per side.  Torps on these ships are used on a situational basis.  The AP shells are good on cruisers at short to medium distances.

Good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,955
[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,359 posts
7,968 battles

Murmansk is still a good ship, but tier 5 just sucks in general these days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,754
[ARGSY]
Members
13,014 posts
8,296 battles
7 hours ago, vak_ said:

but tier 5 just sucks in general these days.

People have been saying that since I started in August 2017, and I'm pretty sure they were saying it before that too.

 

8 hours ago, S842 said:

However, if you are not going to get to 500, I am here to tell you that the Murmansk is a good premium ship for 200 tokens. 

She was the first thing I got in this phase of the event, and I absolutely agree with you. Spilled all my other tokens on crates as I earned them and was lucky enough to pick up (the mission for) the Okhotnik as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,649 posts
3,942 battles

Murmansk is a pretty good ship, but Furutaka Exeter is forever. But yeah, Murmansk and that fire chance is a pretty nice deal, even with IFHE. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,978
[HYDRO]
Members
3,560 posts
5,062 battles

What quite a few people aren't aware of is that Murmansk has literal Stalinium shells, easily comparable to most high tier CLs. The AP penetration is simply sick and can catch so many unawares.

2122531305_Screenshot_2019-06-20WoWSFittingToolbyAesis(1).thumb.png.251f2a8efec441977b6b6526d9e8f2ff.png

That said, being overmatchable by CLs from the front and being often a sacrifice for tier VIIs isn't the best thing really. Still, if in the market for a Russian CL trainer it's a freebie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,955
[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,359 posts
7,968 battles
12 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

People have been saying that since I started in August 2017, and I'm pretty sure they were saying it before that too.

Before tier 4 becoming protected, tier 5 was was pretty fun.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,124
[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
6,159 posts
9,503 battles
20 hours ago, S842 said:

The Victory competition is about to end and some players may be wondering what to do with their "Provision Tokens".  If you have the 500 tokens for the Commander Nikolay Kuznetsov, fine, get him.  However, if you are not going to get to 500, I am here to tell you that the Murmansk is a good premium ship for 200 tokens.  I got her today, and have some left for other things.

The Murmansk is a Russian version of the Omaha with certain changes.  If you have the Phoenix or Omaha you have some idea how the  Murmansk plays.  I have a 62% win rate in my Phoenix and 58% in my Omaha, so I feel I have the credentials to evaluate the Murmansk.  Here are the main differences between Omaha and Murmansk and why I feel Murmansk is better than Omaha and will be a good credit earner, and Russian Commander trainer (you can also move an existing well trained Russian Commander into the Murmansk with no penalty to skills as she is a premium).

Torp range - 5.5 km Omaha.          8.o km Murmansk (each has three per side)

Gun Range - 15.2 km Omaha.        14.8 km Murmansk  However, Murmansk has a spotter plane giving 17.76 km range.

HE fire chance - 9% Omaha.           14% Murmansk  This is a huge difference and makes Murmansk an excellent fire starter.

Maneuverability - 600 turn radius, 5.7  second rudder shift Omaha.           590 turn radius,  3.8 second rudder shift Murmansk.   So Murmansk can evade torps and shells better.

AA - here the Omaha is better as she can mount fighter planes.  Otherwise AA is close but favors Omaha.  Neither is good.

Key to doing well in the Omaha/Murmansk is to not show your side (armor is weak), use your HE and gun range to start fires, your maneuverability to evade torps and shells.  Don't rush about trying to torp ships (especially battleships) as your armor is weak, the torps are slow (55 km), and you only have three per side.  Torps on these ships are used on a situational basis.  The AP shells are good on cruisers at short to medium distances.

Good luck.

but theres one thing you forget, Murmansk is an Omaha, so that means that you blow up just by a BB looking at you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
138
[TARK]
Members
340 posts
3,049 battles
21 hours ago, S842 said:

The Victory competition is about to end and some players may be wondering what to do with their "Provision Tokens".  If you have the 500 tokens for the Commander Nikolay Kuznetsov, fine, get him.  However, if you are not going to get to 500, I am here to tell you that the Murmansk is a good premium ship for 200 tokens.  I got her today, and have some left for other things.

The Murmansk is a Russian version of the Omaha with certain changes.  If you have the Phoenix or Omaha you have some idea how the  Murmansk plays.  I have a 62% win rate in my Phoenix and 58% in my Omaha, so I feel I have the credentials to evaluate the Murmansk.  Here are the main differences between Omaha and Murmansk and why I feel Murmansk is better than Omaha and will be a good credit earner, and Russian Commander trainer (you can also move an existing well trained Russian Commander into the Murmansk with no penalty to skills as she is a premium).

Torp range - 5.5 km Omaha.          8.o km Murmansk (each has three per side)

Gun Range - 15.2 km Omaha.        14.8 km Murmansk  However, Murmansk has a spotter plane giving 17.76 km range.

HE fire chance - 9% Omaha.           14% Murmansk  This is a huge difference and makes Murmansk an excellent fire starter.

Maneuverability - 600 turn radius, 5.7  second rudder shift Omaha.           590 turn radius,  3.8 second rudder shift Murmansk.   So Murmansk can evade torps and shells better.

AA - here the Omaha is better as she can mount fighter planes.  Otherwise AA is close but favors Omaha.  Neither is good.

Key to doing well in the Omaha/Murmansk is to not show your side (armor is weak), use your HE and gun range to start fires, your maneuverability to evade torps and shells.  Don't rush about trying to torp ships (especially battleships) as your armor is weak, the torps are slow (55 km), and you only have three per side.  Torps on these ships are used on a situational basis.  The AP shells are good on cruisers at short to medium distances.

Good luck.

Played 1 game in it.

Faced 2 CVs and 2 Giulio Cesare.  Won't play it ever again.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,754
[ARGSY]
Members
13,014 posts
8,296 battles
2 hours ago, tcbaker777 said:

but theres one thing you forget, Murmansk is an Omaha, so that means that you blow up just by a BB looking at you

That's where island cover and keeping back behind your colleagues to support them with rains of fire come in handy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
90
[Y0L0]
Members
175 posts
12,165 battles
15 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

That's where island cover and keeping back behind your colleagues to support them with rains of fire come in handy.

Does Murmansk have good ballistics that make island hugging practical?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55
[DTB]
Members
264 posts
23 hours ago, vak_ said:

but tier 5 just sucks in general these days.

Plenty of threads where people are saying that it's the high tiers that suck while the mid tiers are good.

I've been preferring the mid tiers recently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,998
[O_O]
Members
5,345 posts
12,287 battles

Murmansk is a darned fine ship.  Yes, as a tier 5 US (originally) cruiser you have to be very careful about being an easy target, but she has great guns, good fire chance, and good speed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
816
[-BUI-]
Members
1,331 posts
3,445 battles

Eh not really, thing is literally a floating citadel.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,043
[Y0L0]
Members
9,875 posts
13,751 battles

one of my solo warrior was in murmansk  in a t7 matchup.  it can handle its own by you have to learn to shoot from  longer range as you  WASD.      it is very agile, so you can avoid most hits as long as you keep distance.  with gun all around,  you don't have to worry too much about  shooting.    has good AP and HE  .    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,649 posts
3,942 battles
45 minutes ago, DracoTB said:

Plenty of threads where people are saying that it's the high tiers that suck while the mid tiers are good.

I've been preferring the mid tiers recently.

Since the change to T8 in T10 games, Tier 6-8 is the sweet spot now yeah. T5 sucks as it's the wake up call tier and most T6 ships are just straight up better. T9 begins to hurt one's econ and acts as gatekeepers in a few lines. Well that and the increased range and firepower leading to slower paced games.  

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,119
Members
2,635 posts
9,840 battles

Picked up Murmansk for 200 tokens during the event, and played few battles.

I found that the ship is vastly inferior for all purposes:

  • As T5 premium ship is does not compare well to the other two T5 premiums in my port (Giulio Cesare and Exeter).
  • As Russian CL it is not nearly as good as Lazo and Kutuzov
  • Tier 5 in general is pretty "meh"
    • Protected T4 means T5 ships have reduced chance to be top tier
    • Large proportion of game content is out of reach for T5 ships (i.e. Operations)
Edited by Ramsalot
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×