You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Anij

Why CVs need to stop attacking DDs

65 comments in this topic

Members
265 posts
7,181 battles

So last week in a T8 battle on Shards our brilliant CV player chased 3 enemy DDs the whole game, none of which he sunk though some damage was done and eventually all 3 enemy DDS were sunk by surface ships and more because he was spotting them. However we lost the battle because the enemy CV was busy tearing apart our BBs and CAs.

When I play my CV target priorities are as follows-->BB, CA and then DD

Spotting priorities are--> DD, CA

Why you may ask? Well its all about efficiency and utilization of resources:

• I  very rarely attack DDs with planes unless we are clearly winning the match and/or the game is nearly over.
  • Airstrikes are far more efficient when attacking BBs and CAs because WG has slowed torpedoes to the point where my Iowa is almost as fast and bombs are better used on slower turning targets.
  • It is way more efficient to sink a DD by surface ship then by airstrike.

But that doesn't mean I ignore DDs either!

So when I launch a strike and I fly over a enemy DD I just drop the fighter on them or circle them once or twice and hopefully my team will get attack 

By the way WG-- DD AA is a joke all the way to Tier 10 and nothing you do will improve DD AA or their game enjoyment . If you want DDs to have a better game then bring the fighter squadron back.

Edited by Anij
  • Cool 4
  • Confused 4
  • Boring 6

Members
373 posts
5,080 battles

He did the right thing. DDs are the single most important class. The team with the DD advantage has much better odds of winning the match. CVs can counter DDs and should. DDs should be everyone’s priority target and taken out with extreme prejudice as quickly as possible and by any means necessary.  

• Cool 14
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[-BUI-]
Members
1,331 posts
3,445 battles

If you can hit them, you should target any DD that sails off alone until he is dead and nothing else until he is dead.   Nothing is worse for your team than a unspotted DD in open water.

I only target BBs at all if they go off alone or its the end of the game, they are the hardest target to get meaningful damage on due to all the mitigation they have built into them.   Since basically ALL of them use Adrenaline Rush, putting 2k damage torps into their side does nothing but speed up their reloads.

Edited by Zenn3k

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
11,401 posts
16,809 battles
15 minutes ago, DDsSmokeOverpenRNGBounce said:

He did the right thing. DDs are the single most important class. The team with the DD advantage has much better odds of winning the match. CVs can counter DDs and should. DDs should be everyone’s priority target and taken out with extreme prejudice as quickly as possible and by any means necessary.  

Show me on the model ship where the bad DD touched you Pookie.

13 minutes ago, Zenn3k said:

If you can hit them, you should target any DD that sails off alone until he is dead and nothing else until he is dead.   Nothing is worse for your team than a unspotted DD in open water.

Did the bad DD touch you too?

• Funny 3
  • Confused 4
  • Boring 10
  • Angry 1

Members
373 posts
5,080 battles
2 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Go ahead and leave the DDs alone on the enemy team and let me know how it turns out. 

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1

[-BUI-]
Members
1,331 posts
3,445 battles
1 minute ago, Umikami said:

Is that suppose to be a joke?   I don't get it.     DDs are the MOST important ship-type to remove from the enemy team, thats just a fact.    

It has nothing to do with me thinking their "unfair" or any such nonsense, they are just have certain advantages that make them very deadly and too risky to be left alive.

• Cool 5

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,099 posts
6,285 battles

If a CV knows how to attack a DD, let him. I may not be able to attack them as well as I did back in the day but if I need to I will attack them with whatever I got. Priorities are important but those are up to each player. If you think attacking DDs are bad, now try attacking a CV at the beginning of a battle.

My old priorities (depends on what I find first):

• DDs (super easy to sink)
  • BBs (easy to sink)
  • CLs/CAs (AA hurts)
  • CVs (sorta easy to sink)

My new priorities (depends on what I find first):

• BBs (I can hit it with anything bomber)
  • DDs (I can hit it with torpeodes and rockets)
  • CLs/CAs (AA hurts...?)
  • CVs (why waste the time)

Edited by Vangm94
  • Confused 1

[RLGN]
Members
11,240 posts
20,260 battles
49 minutes ago, Anij said:

By the way WG-- DD AA is a joke all the way to Tier 10 and nothing you do will improve DD AA or their game enjoyment.

(-)

If you want DDs to have a better game then bring the fighter squadron back.

Tell that first part to my Nicholas, with 71 air kills in a single game as my record, my Akizuki, which doesn’t get bothered much, and my Grozovoi, which convinced a Midway to go find greener pastures the last time I used it, (Ranked.)

(-)

No?

Members
7,307 posts
3,248 battles
20 minutes ago, Vangm94 said:

If a CV knows how to attack a DD, let him. I may not be able to attack them as well as I did back in the day but if I need to I will attack them with whatever I got. Priorities are important but those are up to each player. If you think attacking DDs are bad, now try attacking a CV at the beginning of a battle.

My old priorities (depends on what I find first):

• DDs (super easy to sink)
  • BBs (easy to sink)
  • CLs/CAs (AA hurts)
  • CVs (sorta easy to sink)

My new priorities (depends on what I find first):

• BBs (I can hit it with anything bomber)
  • DDs (I can hit it with torpeodes and rockets)
  • CLs/CAs (AA hurts...?)
  • CVs (why waste the time)

I think it is a waste going after BBs first. Still have the best AA (for the most part), tanky can absorb damage no problem. As a BB player, I don't even both trying to dodge planes because I can laugh and shrug off damage. As a CV, I focus DDs first because no AA and even just spotting them gets them killed. Then BBs after that because after the first 5 minutes, they start zoning out and bow tanking making drops simpler. Then after BBs are gone or a flank collapses, I focus cruisers. I focus then last because they are force multipliers and if a flank is collapsing, they are leading the charge. CV strikes are a waste, as you said. 

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,099 posts
6,285 battles
11 minutes ago, 10T0nHammer said:

I think it is a waste going after BBs first. Still have the best AA (for the most part), tanky can absorb damage no problem. As a BB player, I don't even both trying to dodge planes because I can laugh and shrug off damage. As a CV, I focus DDs first because no AA and even just spotting them gets them killed. Then BBs after that because after the first 5 minutes, they start zoning out and bow tanking making drops simpler. Then after BBs are gone or a flank collapses, I focus cruisers. I focus then last because they are force multipliers and if a flank is collapsing, they are leading the charge. CV strikes are a waste, as you said. 

It really just depends on what is in my path. I will prefer a New Mexico over a Pensacola but I will prefer a Nuremberg over a Bayern. While I may not be as good at hitting BBs like I did before, I can at least get multiple torpedo hits in those three attack runs. With how I play, "damage-per-minute" I can sorta neglect the damage absorption. First three attack runs, then another two attack runs, then potentially another two, then rockets, then more rockets, then torpedoes, then more torpedoes, then maybe dive bombers, until they are dead. The closer I get, the faster my attacks.

"Listen, and understand! Aircraft carriers are out there! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear! And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you or them are dead!"

• Funny 2

Beta Testers
387 posts
7,567 battles
1 hour ago, DDsSmokeOverpenRNGBounce said:

Yep, this guys gets it.

• Cool 1

[KNCOL]
[KNCOL]
Members
505 posts
1,574 battles
55 minutes ago, Umikami said:

And where did the evil CV touch you?

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[DDM_]
Members
1,552 posts
4,422 battles
51 minutes ago, Zenn3k said:

Is that suppose to be a joke?   I don't get it.     DDs are the MOST important ship-type to remove from the enemy team, thats just a fact.    

It has nothing to do with me thinking their "unfair" or any such nonsense, they are just have certain advantages that make them very deadly and too risky to be left alive.

He's a DD main with seriously rustled jimmies over the whole CV rework, a major case of CDS (Carried Derangement Syndrome) which leads to incoherent, spittle spewing rants anytime the combination of DD and CV are seen in the same post. 

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2

[WOLFC]
Members
1,261 posts
6,886 battles
54 minutes ago, DDsSmokeOverpenRNGBounce said:

Go ahead and leave the DDs alone on the enemy team and let me know how it turns out. 

Yeah its interesting how the polemicists assume people who are not anti-CV are somehow either CV mains or DD haters.

• Cool 1

[CAFE]
Members
1,726 posts
12,446 battles

No, I am still going to focus the DD cockroaches until they are dead and nothing you say is going to change that.

• Cool 5
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

Members
201 posts
3,193 battles

There is a time when you should attack DD's as well as a time you shouldn't.  It all depends on the situation.  If a DD is in poor positioning and I determine that they are not currently a threat to the team I will select a new target.  Especially if they near destroyed and need to be finished off.

If you are spend way too much time hunting down and trying to destroy a DD you are doing more harm than good.  It isn't helping the team.  The time spent wasted on trying to kill a DD could've been spent taking out that BB with a couple thousand HP left before they heal.

Edited by HeadSplit120
  • Cool 1

[RNDM]
Members
307 posts
5,348 battles
1 hour ago, Anij said:

So last week in a T8 battle on Shards our brilliant CV player chased 3 enemy DDs the whole game, none of which he sunk though some damage was done and eventually all 3 enemy DDS were sunk by surface ships and more because he was spotting them. However we lost the battle because the enemy CV was busy tearing apart our BBs and CAs.

• I  very rarely attack DDs with planes unless we are clearly winning the match and/or the game is nearly over.
  • Airstrikes are far more efficient when attacking BBs and CAs because WG has slowed torpedoes to the point where my Iowa is almost as fast and bombs are better used on slower turning targets.

So when I launch a strike and I fly over a enemy DD I just drop the fighter on them or circle them once or twice and hopefully my team will get attack 

By the way WG-- DD AA is a joke all the way to Tier 10 and nothing you do will improve DD AA or their game enjoyment . If you want DDs to have a better game then bring the fighter squadron back.

I don't prioritize attacking any specific class of ship when I play CV. I look at which ships are the biggest threat to me and my team then I look at which ones I can most effectively attack. For example the wooster holding down that island by the cap is the biggest threat to my team at one point but I would be throwing away my planes, so I look to the next best target which is a Yamato. DBs are more effective than TBs against Yamato's torpedo belt so if I have a full TB squad but a small DB squad then I look for the next target. You see where I'm going? I will always go after a DD if it is at the top of both my priority and viable target lists, but I will not force an unfavorable engagement for myself.

• Cool 3

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,099 posts
6,285 battles

When everyone thinks they are right, who is wrong?

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
11,401 posts
16,809 battles

You mean people still play DDs?

1 hour ago, Zenn3k said:

DDs CVs are the MOST important ship-type to remove from the enemy team, thats just a fact.

Fixed that for ya!

1 hour ago, Zenn3k said:

Again, people still play DDs?

51 minutes ago, Koogus said:

And where did the evil CV touch you?

Everywhere, all game, because they are OP and unbalanced and need more nerfs.

• Confused 1
  • Boring 2

[F3S]
[F3S]
Members
1,781 posts
3,577 battles

CV's role is a mix of intelligence, suppression, destruction.  Never chase a ship, focus fire prime targets / threat priorities.

#1 is intelligence above all else -- 
#2 suppress and contain enemy activities be it objectives (caps) or friendlies (stop the radar ship from heading towards DD in cap)
#2b - this includes enemy CV activities.  Don't be a fool and drop fighters on fighters or chase strike aircraft w/ strike aircraft It's a waste of time and assets (time is an asset, plus you look like an [rhymes with asset + hat])
#3 strike AA ships and get your team to do the same -- F3 those targets

The battlefield is dynamic, you shouldn't be seeking out any specific ship type.  The object is to win the match.  After striking any target, you once again look at the intell picture and make a decision.  Some fools will farm specific ships for damage.  That doesn't win the match.  It might pad your stats, but you really don't want to be "that guy".

Of course if you end up with the average teams of late, yeah, go ahead and get your XP while you watch "the dance of the idiots" from overhead. 

Edited by NoSoMo
  • Cool 3

Members
3,187 posts
4,322 battles
2 hours ago, Anij said:

If your CV ran off the red DDs and your DDs were ignored. Than it is your teams fault you lost 

[SIC]
Members
89 posts
4,084 battles
3 hours ago, Anonymous50 said:

Yeah its interesting how the polemicists assume people who are not anti-CV are somehow either CV mains or DD haters.

Right? I don't get it.