You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Anij

CV 8.4 versus CV RTS-Alpha Strike

76 comments in this topic

Members
265 posts
7,190 battles

Hi All

One of the major complaints against the RTS CVs is that they could land a devastating strike and end your game instantly but lets look at a few factors

1-Every class of ship has the ability to land a Devastating Strike so CVs should be no different

2-If a DD, CA, BB land a devastating strike well skill + RNG + Good Luck + Victim Bad Luck = well your game ends as well.

With the RTS CV however the skill factor required to land such a devastating strike was considerably higher and so when it did happen you at least knew you were taken out by a good to really good player.

With the current CV mechanic and Alpha values you cannot land a devastating strike unless the target is already badly shot up. So the skill level for this version of CVs is somewhat lower when it comes to striking the target which begs the question why is the skill gap still large.

The focus now is on resource management + target selection.

If you manage your planes well you

• A cannot be deplaned and by keeping a steady flow of planes up
  • you sink enemy ships by a thousand cuts
  • you provide continuous spotting

So basically as long as you keep putting planes in the air you will do just as much damage as a single Devastating strike over a longer period of time because you may not hit with every strike but you don't have too because if you manage your planes well you can launch another strike right away.

Personally they should bring CV alpha value back to the RTS level, let CV players launch 1 strike per squadron and this will help with balancing the AA out and fix a lot of spotting issues. Id rather be blown out the water by someone who aimed well rather than some cross eyed noob who shouldn't be playing CVs in the first place. Without a devastating strike capability CV play seems rather boring and repetitive because no matter how well you aim the reward is just not there.

• Boring 6
  • Angry 4

[PN]
[PN]
Beta Testers
7,056 posts
17,200 battles

@Anij you cant even land a dev strike on a shot up ship. The requirement of 50% of full HP cant be met on a shot up ship with CVs as they are now.

Revert to RTS with no manual attacks, no strafe and reduce aerial weapons damage. 

• Cool 2
  • Confused 1
  • Angry 3

[NGAGE]
Members
1,403 posts
8,093 battles
3 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

@Anij you cant even land a dev strike on a shot up ship. The requirement of 50% of full HP cant be met on a shot up ship with CVs as they are now.

Revert to RTS with no manual attacks, no strafe and reduce aerial weapons damage. 

No manual attacks and no strafe would be the most boring easymode thing ever. RTS CV was fun because it was difficult and stressful. Plus if it was RTS and easymode then the population would skyrocket. RTS as it was had a very low population. WG hated that, but the general player population loved it.

• Cool 1
  • Angry 1

[PN]
[PN]
Beta Testers
7,056 posts
17,200 battles

@Spartias The current wylie coyote flying a bullet system is boring and senseless. 

If the PT 8.5 AA is added CV planes don't stand a chance even against a single low AA ship.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
11,401 posts
16,809 battles
30 minutes ago, Anij said:

1-Every class of ship has the ability to land a Devastating Strike so CVs should be no different

This is totally not true.

31 minutes ago, Anij said:

2-If a DD, CA, BB land a devastating strike well skill + RNG + Good Luck + Victim Bad Luck = well your game ends as well.

Most of the ships listed above cannot do that, again, totally not true.

32 minutes ago, Anij said:

Personally they should bring CV alpha value back to the RTS level, let CV players launch 1 strike per squadron and this will help with balancing the AA out and fix a lot of spotting issues.

This is complete nonsense and, again, totally wrong.

33 minutes ago, Anij said:

Id rather be blown out the water by someone who aimed well rather than some cross eyed noob who shouldn't be playing CVs in the first place.

Funny, because the rest of us would rather not be blown out of the water at all.

34 minutes ago, Anij said:

Without a devastating strike capability CV play seems rather boring and repetitive because no matter how well you aim the reward is just not there.

What you really mean is you want the old GOD like CV powers back, and ain't that just too bad?

17 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

If the PT 8.5 AA is added CV planes don't stand a chance even against a single low AA ship.

Gotta tell ya, that ain't breaking my heart.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 1
  • Angry 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
21,335 posts
11,846 battles
42 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

An IJN CV can pull that off with a perfect DB strike with lots of citadels. Otherwise it is pure RNG hoping for a detonation for CV's

31 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

@Spartias The current wylie coyote flying a bullet system is boring and senseless. 

The old rubbing your stomach while patting your head while juggling armed hand grenades and throwing them was only fun for a tiny percentage of the player base which was not enough to justify supporting CV's. WG's options were rework them or get rid of them. They chose the rework option.

13 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Most of the ships listed above cannot do that, again, totally not true.

Funny, because the rest of us would rather not be blown out of the water at all.

Now you are resorting to lies about other ships.

Every type of ship has the ability to land devastating strikes but not against every other ship type with only IJN CV's having a real chance at that dev strike.

Getting blown out of the water is part of the game whether it is the death of a thousand cuts of a CV or a CL or getting blapped by some other ship quickly.

[WORX]
Members
5,030 posts
15,593 battles

So  much distorted thinking by the OP, so little time to correct the errors.

Right now, BOTH CV interfaces are terrible... Its like choosing death by fire or death by freezing. It doesn't matter both are terrible options overall.

CV rework was dead on arrival since patch 0.8.0.1, anything after that its whatever reaction.

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Angry 1

[TBW]
Members
8,008 posts
14,639 battles
1 hour ago, Anij said:

One of the major complaints against the RTS CVs is that they could land a devastating strike and end your game instantly

I can't devastating strike a plane.

• Funny 1

[SALVO]
Members
21,703 posts
22,016 battles
2 hours ago, Spartias said:

No manual attacks and no strafe would be the most boring easymode thing ever. RTS CV was fun because it was difficult and stressful. Plus if it was RTS and easymode then the population would skyrocket. RTS as it was had a very low population. WG hated that, but the general player population loved it.

You couldn't be more wrong if you tried.    

RTS CV was NOT fun because it was difficult.  It was only fun for that small number of people who actually like the totally garbage concept known as  RTS, and/or those people who were very good at RTS garbage.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
11,401 posts
16,809 battles
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

Now you are resorting to lies about other ships.

Nonsense, as OP is talking about removing a ship with a single strike, which in reality rarely happens and certainly not every ship can do it.

Every type of ship has the ability to land devastating strikes but not against every other ship type with only IJN CV's having a real chance at that dev strike.

2 hours ago, Anij said:

the major complaints against the RTS CVs is that they could land a devastating strike and end your game instantly

The "end your game instantly" thing is what I'm talking about; again a rarity amongst ships in game.

Getting blown out of the water is part of the game whether it is the death of a thousand cuts of a CV or a CL or getting blapped by some other ship quickly.

Yes, but only one fits OPs criteria of "ending the game instantly."

[SALVO]
Members
21,703 posts
22,016 battles

1.  One thing that I've been thinking about on and off of late is the idea of making the CV squadron (regardless of type) have only a single strike.  This would prevent the use of pre-drops to send planes back before launching any strikes.  It would also prevent the usage of the slingshot tactic, since any squadron would have only ONE attack.  I'd suggest making the (single attack) squadron size somewhere between 4 and 6 planes.  Squadron size should NOT be a national trait, though I could see different squadron sizes used to balance squadrons across the tiers.  That is, maybe a tier 6 CV might have only 4 planes in a squadron while a tier 10 CV might have 6.

Another thing that single attack squadrons would do is slow down the pace of attacks (at least I think that it would do so) since you'd have to spend more time flying from the CV to the target, as opposed to having these large multi-strike squadrons where you'd make your "CV to target" flight and then spend some time delivering a number of strikes, before having to jump back to the CV to send out the next squadron.  

2.  On a related (to CVs) topic, another idea occurred to me.  One way to make CVs a little more vulnerable to carrier attack might be to remove the fighter consumable from the ship itself.  And instead, only allow (consumable) fighters to be dropped from the CV's own planes.  This would force the carrier player to either fly his current squadron back to the ship OR to "F" back to the ship to launch another squadron from which he could then drop a (consumable) squadron of fighters.

Anyways, the idea here is that there wouldn't be an automatically launched fighter squadron to defend the carrier.  It would be up to the CV's player to do it, treating his CV like any other ship that wants a fighter CAP, with the exception that as the CV player, he can of course jump back to the ship to launch a new squadron from which he can drop fighters.

• Cool 2
  • Confused 1
  • Angry 2

[SALVO]
Members
21,703 posts
22,016 battles
15 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Nonsense, as OP is talking about removing a ship with a single strike, which in reality rarely happens and certainly not every ship can do it.

Just out of curiosity, name a non-CV ship that can't dev strike another ship in this game.  Limit yourself to tiers 5 and above.

Any cruiser with torps can probably dev strike a 51% health cruiser (if not healthier, depending on the number of torps the cruiser has available for use).  And pretty much any cruiser can dev strike another 51% health cruiser with AP, given enough citadel hits.

DDs can dev strike using torpedoes.  The WIP Dutch DD that supposedly has no torpedoes might find it difficult to dev strike, though with its apparent RoF, it could probably melt most DDs with ridiculous speed.

BBs obviously can dev strike with relative ease given the number of very damaging guns.

• Confused 1

[WORX]
Members
5,030 posts
15,593 battles
8 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Just out of curiosity, name a non-CV ship that can't dev strike another ship in this game.  Limit yourself to tiers 5 and above. 

Easy, RU Kyspy kreaym

image.thumb.png.10eab395bcb6111bf23570b1774575c2.png

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
21,703 posts
22,016 battles
27 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

Easy, RU Kyspy kreaym

The Kreme has torpedoes, and therefore can dev strike, even if it's only 51% health tier 5 cruisers.

strike one.

[ANZ4C]
Beta Testers
1,190 posts
3 hours ago, Umikami said:

it totally 100% is true.

[ANZ4C]
Beta Testers
1,190 posts
42 minutes ago, Crucis said:

just for giggles..

The Friesland

[SALVO]
Members
21,703 posts
22,016 battles
Just now, Dareios said:

just for giggles..

The Friesland

I actually did mention that one in that same post when I said "the WIP Dutch DD".  :cap_like:

[WORX]
Members
5,030 posts
15,593 battles
3 minutes ago, Crucis said:

The Kreme has torpedoes, and therefore can dev strike, even if it's only 51% health tier 5 cruisers.

strike one.

You trust your gaming life on RU torps ??? You're brave or naive crucis....

I dont think the Kryspy kreaym torps can even tickle any hull ship in its tier. Let alone Dev strike one.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
21,703 posts
22,016 battles
Just now, Navalpride33 said:

I dont think the Kryspy kreaym torps can even tickle any hull ship in its tier. Let alone Dev strike one.

I didn't say that it was likely, just possible.

• Angry 1

[SALVO]
Members
21,703 posts
22,016 battles

I wish that you guys would put more effort into replying to my post #11 above, rather than the other less important posts.  :cap_old:

[ANZ4C]
Beta Testers
1,190 posts
5 minutes ago, Crucis said:

I actually did mention that one in that same post when I said "the WIP Dutch DD".  :cap_like:

so you did.

that'll teach me not to read a full thread (it wont, but i acknowledge you already thought of it)

[UMP]
Members
251 posts
4,300 battles
3 hours ago, Anij said:

you sink enemy ships by a thousand cuts

This is so laughably wrong.

You could, eventually, kill a BB.

Provided you ONLY focused that BB, and wanted to ONLY FOCUS THAT BB, for the ENTIRE MATCH.

The match is only 20 minutes long at most (though they usually are over before that)

Do some simple math on DPS, time to arrive on target, respawn of aircraft, AA losses of planes, etc, plus as you say, conserve your planes, which usually requires you retreat after 1 MAYBE 2 attacks....and,

You MIGHT get 1 kill. Might. If you focused it.

CV's specialize in softening targets and finishing them off.

You might have the impression they're "death by a thousand cuts", but they're really not.

[-VT-]
Members
647 posts
8,307 battles
16 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

Kryspy's torps do 13200 dmg each, for a total for 39600 dmg per side, so I would think it could dev strike cruisers at it's tier....

As for ships dev striking other ships, not sure the US CLs can dev strike anything reliably, maybe if they get blessed by RNGesus, but doubtful. 

Edited by DemonGod3

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
21,335 posts
11,846 battles
40 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

Easy, RU Kyspy kreaym

13 minutes ago, Crucis said:

strike one.

With the wall of guns setup of the Krasny Krym has any DD that is stupid enough to get caught close to it is going to melt. Maybe not a true Dev Strike but it is going to be short and painful.

7 minutes ago, Crucis said:

I wish that you guys would put more effort into replying to my post #11 above, rather than the other less important posts.  :cap_old:

That is against the anti-CV crowds rule that CV's are the most over powered ship ever in the game and anything that might show that they are not has to be argued against. :Smile_honoring:

6 minutes ago, MajesticTwelve said:

This is so laughably wrong.

You could, eventually, kill a BB.

Provided you ONLY focused that BB, and wanted to ONLY FOCUS THAT BB, for the ENTIRE MATCH.

The match is only 20 minutes long at most (though they usually are over before that)

Do some simple math on DPS, time to arrive on target, respawn of aircraft, AA losses of planes, etc, plus as you say, conserve your planes, which usually requires you retreat after 1 MAYBE 2 attacks....and,

You MIGHT get 1 kill. Might. If you focused it.

CV's specialize in softening targets and finishing them off.

You might have the impression they're "death by a thousand cuts", but they're really not.

I have to disagree with you because CV damage can not be described as anything else with their lack of alpha in their strikes. The only other way to describe their damage is to call it Damage over Time with each strike adding a tiny bit more to the damage.

[WORX]
Members
5,030 posts
15,593 battles
3 minutes ago, DemonGod3 said:

Kryspy's torps do 13200 dmg each, for a total for 39600 dmg per side, so I would think it could dev strike cruisers at it's tier....

Like crucis, Its possible, BUT unlikely that was the issue... What is likely VS what is possible