You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Aurora_7

Anyone go for the 'Manual Fire Control for Secondary Armament' skill?

34 comments in this topic

[AK-49]
[AK-49]
Members
217 posts
4,242 battles

I've been considering it for my Richelieu since it's only has bow mounted main armament. I've had DDs do end runs on me with little to do about it other than angle my armor and hope I have enough repair party to survive what's coming.

Has anyone ever done it and notice a difference?

Edited by Aurora_7

[-BUI-]
Members
1,331 posts
3,445 battles

I run it on my Massachusetts for maximum accuracy.    It shreds DDs, just gotta be on your toes when it comes to selecting targets, because they won't fire unless you do after you take it.

The only real negative is you cannot fire both sides of secondaries at the same time anymore (or at two separate ships).

• Cool 1

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,099 posts
6,285 battles

I have it on my Richilieu. If anything chases me, I let them chase me while focusing on my main target while my rear guns shoot them.

[U571]
Members
1,920 posts
13,162 battles
11 minutes ago, Aurora_7 said:

I've been considering it for my Richelieu since it's only has bow mounted main armament. I've had DDs do end runs on me with little to do about it other than angle my armor and hope I have enough repair party to survive what's coming.

It is best on T8-T10 ships.  And I use it on my French Captains, German Captains and the Captain on the Mass.

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
1,565 posts
6,043 battles

My top German captain has it.  He drives my Frederick the Great.

It is very effective.  You have to stay on your toes.  If you don't give the order, they will just sit there.

[-RNG-]
Supertester
2,679 posts
3,560 battles

Secondaries as a whole are pretty worthless without both AFT and Manual fire. That's why they are such expensive builds

Members
23,232 posts
5,860 battles
Just now, GrimmeReaper said:

It is best on T8-T10 ships.  And I use it on my French Captains, German Captains and the Captain on the Mass.

Also works well on Gneisenau, with all those 1/4 pen 128s.....

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
21,245 posts
19,617 battles

If your BB has great Secondaries and you're investing to do a Secondaries Build, Manual Secondaries is crucial because it really improves the accuracy.  2 pictures I did from two training room sessions a while back, using Tirpitz Secondary Spec Captain WITHOUT Manual Secondaries:

2fk1d4B.jpg

Look at the scatter of the shells.

Now look when I swap in a Secondary Spec Captain WITH Manual Secondaries.

kgQbY12.jpg

The dispersion is significantly tighter.

The improved accuracy is crucial because you end up making more hits in the same span than without it, especially the further out the target is.

If you got Massachusetts, Georgia, this gets even more silly in how they rack up hits with Manual Secondaries.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
23,232 posts
5,860 battles
Just now, _1204_ said:

Secondaries as a whole are pretty worthless without both AFT and Manual fire. That's why they are such expensive builds

I somewhat disagree about the AFT part, depending on the ship. I dropped it from my Bismarck, and there wasn't much damage difference. I wasn't hitting much at max range anyway, the 9km I get is enough.

Same with GK, but I think that's 9.4km I get.

[U571]
Members
1,920 posts
13,162 battles
7 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

Also works well on Gneisenau, with all those 1/4 pen 128s.....

Scharnhorst gets that when I drop the my GK/Tirp Captain into it.

[U571]
Members
1,920 posts
13,162 battles
6 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

I somewhat disagree about the AFT part, depending on the ship. I dropped it from my Bismarck, and there wasn't much damage difference. I wasn't hitting much at max range anyway, the 9km I get is enough.

Same with GK, but I think that's 9.4km I get.

I run the whole ball of wax to push them as far as they will go 11.3 on the Tirp/Bis and Fat Freddy.  GK will push out to 11.7.  Repub 12.1 I believe.

Members
23,232 posts
5,860 battles
7 minutes ago, GrimmeReaper said:

I run the whole ball of wax to push them as far as they will go 11.3 on the Tirp/Bis and Fat Freddy.  GK will push out to 11.7.  Repub 12.1 I believe.

I do that for Gneisenau, to get to 8km, but I found that, past 10km, Bis, Freddy, and GK weren't getting a lot of hits anyway, so I dropped it and put the points in FP.

[SOFOP]
Members
1,249 posts
8,810 battles

I don't think Manual secondaries is strong enough to be a 4 point skill.  I think if they removed the "manual" part, and put another downside in there (say, less range on main guns or higher chance for them to break, etc) I think it would be awesome - IE 60% dispersion buff but can still fire from both sides.

That said, I have it on my Alsace, Tirpitz, and GK, because well, any damage bonus is a plus for me, as I work out the kinks in my big gun swing, so to speak.

[RLGN]
Members
11,240 posts
20,260 battles

Mammie, Bis-ko/Tirpitz.

Have Gascogne, but hardly use nit and don’t remember what skills the captain has.

Tried it on Mikasa, but being able to fire in all directions is more important for that ship.

Members
4,080 posts
9,031 battles
34 minutes ago, _1204_ said:

Or IFHE instead of Manual Fire on the Bismarck to make her a real close-in shredder either side without having to monitor.

[U571]
Members
1,920 posts
13,162 battles
19 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

I do that for Gneisenau, to get to 8km, but I found that, past 10km, Bis, Freddy, and GK weren't getting a lot of hits anyway, so I dropped it and put the points in FP.

I do it to make DDs lives more... uhm... interesting...

[PHASE]
Members
4,709 posts
16,143 battles
51 minutes ago, Aurora_7 said:

It's a double edge sword, it can be a ton of fun, shredding enemies with secondary's makes everyone giggle. the really good players will argue that you are wasting points and they should be used elsewhere, the reason is two fold, you are putting a situational skill in the fore front rather than focusing on your main skill/guns, or defensive traits.

The second reason is that it is so much damn fun that many players, myself included, put themselves in harms way to use the secondary's and end up doing less than I would have had I played smarter.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,953 posts
4,321 battles

I use it on Georgia to great effect. 

I went up againts a GK sub 10km the other night who did not have it, and my secondaries shredded him. 

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,953 posts
4,321 battles
1 hour ago, Aurora_7 said:

You should look at LWM Mass review, she presents the difference between manual / non manuel to great effect. 

[SOFOP]
Members
1,249 posts
8,810 battles
16 minutes ago, Cobraclutch said:

I went up againts a GK sub 10km the other night who did not have it, and my secondaries shredded him. 

Do you have the stats screen for that or a guesstimate about how much damage that was?

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
21,335 posts
11,846 battles
1 hour ago, Zenn3k said:

The only real negative is you cannot fire both sides of secondaries at the same time anymore (or at two separate ships).

Yeah, I wish they would do the same as AA sector reinforcement taking away the gain on the selected target on the other side of the ship.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
21,335 posts
11,846 battles
17 minutes ago, Cobraclutch said:

Just now, Old_Baldy_One said:

Do you have the stats screen for that or a guesstimate about how much damage that was?

I can tell you from personal experience that two identical ships one with and one without that the one with will come out on top.

[WOLFC]
Members
1,664 posts

54 minutes ago, GrimmeReaper said:

45 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

I'm currently not running Manual Secondaries on my German/French BBs  and feel like it's a pretty good damage return for the investment.

I tried Manuals on both the GK and Repub in the space battles ... multiple battles with and without ... and finally decided I also preferred using the 4 captain points elsewhere and not worrying about manual target selection.

I'm curious, Skpstr, did you forgo the 2ndary module and keep AFT ... or vice versa?  Either gets you to 9km ... 9.5 with the flag.  Of course the module also provides better dispersion while the skill also "supposedly" helps with AA.  Or maybe I misunderstood and you kept both ... just eliminated Manual FIre Control.

Members
23,232 posts
5,860 battles
4 minutes ago, DocWalker said:

I'm curious, Skpstr, did you forgo the 2ndary module and keep AFT ... or vice versa?  Either gets you to 9km ... 9.5 with the flag.  Of course the module also provides better dispersion while the skill also "supposedly" helps with AA.  Or maybe I misunderstood and you kept both ... just eliminated Manual FIre Control.

I kept the module and dropped the AFT skill.

I'm kind of glad I went that route, since AFT no longer extends AA range.

• Cool 1

[WOLFC]
Members
1,664 posts
1 minute ago, Skpstr said:

I kept the module and dropped the AFT skill.

I'm kind of glad I went that route, since AFT no longer extends AA range.

OK, thanks ... that's kinda of what I was guessing.  I've also heard Mejash say many times on this stream that AFT has fell out of his favor for that very reason.

:cap_like: