You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ducky_shot

Use mods?? What and why, or why not?

33 comments in this topic

[OO7]
Members
5,269 posts
12,088 battles

So I am a mod lover. Any game I play, I typically mod it up quite a bit. I've been using mods for the majority of my time playing warships. I'll use anything the gives me info quicker or that I think gi es me an edge. And believe me, I need every edge I can get... 

I used to use aslains, but when WG released their modstation program, I switched immediately. Aslains took a while to update and you had to constantly be redownloading it after patches. Modstation auto updates and keeps your selected mods up to date with no hassle. Now modstation doesn't have quite the list of mods that aslains has, but it contains all the ones I was using anyways. 

Here is what I use and why. 

I use different detected icons (Sounne yellow markers iirc) , they are bigger and brighter and are more visible to me and keep me better informed about my detection than the stock icons. 

I use badobeast side panels with ship hp. This is handy for knowing how much hp a ship had when it last was seen by you. Not the most up to date info, but better than what you had before. I also use the portion of it that will tell you ship info. Where this is most important is torpedo ranges. I know when loading into battle, what torps every dd and cruiser is using. So if I know there is a shima with 8km torps, I can play a bit closer to caps with a BB, stuff like that. It also tells you which ships have not been spotted at all, which is handy.

Score timer. A must for any competitive setting. Knowing when each team will win with the current tick rate is invaluable. 

Smoke timer. I run a second smoke timer that tells me the length of my smokes first and last puffs so I know the length of each end and don't have to be in the smoke screen to see it. 

Navigator. Tells the angle of a targeted ship and your ship relative to it. Awesome for telling you immediately if your target is turning in or out and their angle when they are behind an island. 

Overall hp. Tells the overall hp of both teams. Tells you more info than just ships left alive. 

Health regen mod. Tells you the amount of health that you are able to heal and the amount of health that a max heal should be. Let's you maximize your heals. 

Old shell splashes. Gets rid of the huge shell splashes that sometimes obscure smaller targets and allows you to see the target despite shell splashes around it. 

Advanced chat. It cleans up the names on who is chatting and tells which ship they are in. Handy to see what ship is saying what instead of having to look at the team list. 

I typically only use mods that give me substance in battle. I stay away from all other mods to prevent issues from mods not working well together. Makes trouble shooting crashes much easier as well. That set of mods I've been running play very well together and I have not had any stability issues for probably a year. I do not reccommend extended tech tree. I ran it a few times and ran into stability issues with it every time. One of the worst mods I have run. 

What do you guys use? 

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
1,758 posts
18,207 battles

I'm pretty much vanilla but that is driven considerably by my screen size.  Not a lot of room for me to add a lot.

[U571]
Members
1,926 posts
13,179 battles

Used a couple for an arcade feel like the ARP Tracers.  I use the dynamic sight one, for contrast and better visibility.  I also have countdown timer for points.

[-RNG-]
Supertester
2,698 posts
3,560 battles

Heal counter: a must have for BB mains such as myself.

Score timer: like you said, invaluable.

Navigator: knowing that angle is priceless. Such a big difference in damage between 29 and 31 degrees. 

Compass: let's me know the angle of my ship (where my ship is pointing in refrence to the minimap, and where I am aiming in refrence to my bow). Nice tool to help angle properly.

Direction indicator: while not perfectly accurate, it helps show if an enemy is moving forward or backward. Combined with navigator you can make some pretty spot on guesses on target lead. 

HP bar: same as you said. It just relays better info. 

Detction timer: nice to know when you will go dark, especially when you play the BigBotes

Chat mod: let's me move and heighten my chat window. Also let's me see what ship says what, which saves a lot of time and confusion. 

Badobeast side panels: nice to see enemy HP values, whose been spotted, and torp ranges. I believe it can tell what torp setup ships have as well (based on the torpedo rating I suppose)

There is a few minor ones I do such as night ocean port and movable vehicle panel, but the best ones are the ones above:Smile_great:

Edited by _1204_

Members
23,232 posts
5,865 battles

Don't use any anymore, got tired of updating them.

There's a couple you mention that I might look into a couple of those, that I don't think were around last time I did use mods.

[PHD]
Members
637 posts
2,943 battles

I did have a mod that changed the IJN national flag to the naval ensign. 

But after my PC developed an allergy to WG I don't run anything. 

The new Modstation might be interesting mainly to see the different dynamic aiming cross hairs. But I have not seen what they look like in the information. 

[OO7]
Members
5,269 posts
12,088 battles
4 minutes ago, _1204_ said:

Heal counter: a must have for BB mains such as myself.

Score timer: like you said, invaluable.

Navigator: knowing that angle is priceless. Such a big difference in damage between 29 and 31 degrees. 

Compass: let's me know the angle of my ship (where my ship is pointing in refrence to the minimap, and where I am aiming in refrence to my bow). Nice tool to help angle properly.

Direction indicator: while not perfectly accurate, it helps show if an enemy is moving forward or backward. Combined with navigator you can make some pretty spot on guesses on target lead. 

HP bar: same as you said. It just relays better info. 

Detction timer: nice to know when you will go dark, especially when you play the BigBotes

Chat mod: let's me move and heighten my chat window. Also let's me see what ship says what, which saves a lot of time and confusion. 

Badobeast side panels: nice to see enemy HP values, whose been spotted, and torp ranges. I believe it can tell what torp setup ships have as well (based on the torpedo rating I suppose)

There is a few minor ones I do such as night ocean port and movable vehicle panel, but the best ones are the ones above:Smile_great:

I forgot about gun bloom timer. Awesome. Should be in the game

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
8,033 posts
9,106 battles

none

Spoiler

but I have experimented with mods in the past, they can be an invaluable teaching tool, "trainers" of a sort. But lose your training wheels, once you get your balance.

Members
358 posts
3,738 battles

Score timer, bloom timer, side panels and advanced chat so I can tell what kind of ship is talking in chat. That's pretty much it.

I honestly have no idea how navigator and direction indicator are legal. If any of the mods are borderline cheating it's those two for sure. I don't use them because I feel like it's a crutch. 

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
21,733 posts
22,069 battles
14 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

Don't use any anymore, got tired of updating them.

There's a couple you mention that I might look into a couple of those, that I don't think were around last time I did use mods.

I'm exactly the same, Skpstr.  I also got tired of having to update them every month.

I do wish that WG would incorporate some more of the most popular mods into the client.  It's been a while since this was last done.

Members
23,232 posts
5,865 battles
1 minute ago, Crucis said:

I'm exactly the same, Skpstr.  I also got tired of having to update them every month.

I do wish that WG would incorporate some more of the most popular mods into the client.  It's been a while since this was last done.

I'm particularly interested in moving the chat window.

Nothing like trying to lead a DD heading left to right, and all of a sudden it's obscured because somebody randomly decided to "stone the crows"...

• Cool 1

[OO7]
Members
5,269 posts
12,088 battles
4 minutes ago, exray0 said:

Score timer, bloom timer, side panels and advanced chat so I can tell what kind of ship is talking in chat. That's pretty much it.

I honestly have no idea how navigator and direction indicator are legal. If any of the mods are borderline cheating it's those two for sure. I don't use them because I feel like it's a crutch. 

Me either. But they are in WG approved packs. My thoughts are that if a legal mod is likely being used against me, I need to make sure the playing field is level. 

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,099 posts
6,295 battles

I used to use mods but since the game is updated nearly every two weeks it got old trying to find an updated version of the mod.

[OO7]
Members
5,269 posts
12,088 battles
2 minutes ago, Vangm94 said:

I used to use mods but since the game is updated nearly every two weeks it got old trying to find an updated version of the mod.

If you want to use mods, try mod station. You just start the game from it instead of the wgc launcher and it checks all mods automatically before launching the game and updates if it sees updates for the mods you have installed. Super easy. I love it

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,099 posts
6,295 battles
1 minute ago, Ducky_shot said:

If you want to use mods, try mod station. You just start the game from it instead of the wgc launcher and it checks all mods automatically before launching the game and updates if it sees updates for the mods you have installed. Super easy. I love it

At this point since the ARP, HSF, and AZ are in the game I am pretty happy already as is. The visual mods gave me a nice personal feel to the game but it is easier to leave it as normal.

[PVE]
Members
9,344 posts
16,592 battles

I use Aslains mod pack and use the following...

1. Navigator
  2. Direction Indicator
  3. Tracer/Shell Mod
  4. Extended Tech Tree
  5. Extra Ports

1 / 2: are used not to gain a competitive advantage but rather because I need them to bloody see so I know where to shoot and such. I have some vision issues and I can't always see well enough to judge the angle, if a ship is going forward or back, etc... These 2 mods give me the info needed to play accordingly.

3: I also have an awful time seeing the white/gray AP against a lot of the backgrounds so I use a mod that makes the AP shells bright blue which I can actually see (makes the HE a bright red too but don't need that). I don't know why WG doesn't do something with the AP shells to improve visibility. The HE is fine as it glows but the flat white/gray AP is a real issue for me. Having them glow bright blue so I can see them against the background is invaluable in adjusting lead on follow up shots. It also makes the enemy AP shells coming at me blue as well so I can actually see incoming AP rounds and have at least a sec or two to try and evade. Can't see the white/gray incoming AP until it is hitting me on most maps. I also have (had - don't think it works anymore) a mod that made the AA show up (ie; tracer lines). It was kind of neat to see all the AA going on. Just a visual thing; no edge or advantage.

4: I like this because it shows WIP/Soon ships as well as all the premiums and such. Good tool to have for info and just to keep tabs on stuff.

5: I like to change the port up now and then and the game has a limited selection so I add 4-5 more through the mod pack.

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[PHASE]
Members
4,766 posts
16,219 battles

Recovering Warcraft addict, probably had 12-18 mods at any given time. Have never used a mod in this game. I wonder how many mistakes I've made that a mod may have helped me avoid.

Over the past x amount of months, has anyone had any Ban related issues with these mods?

Members
113 posts
2,159 battles

I remember that I had like 20gb in mods

-kancolle, HSF, azur lane, girls frontline voice mods

- Inteface (GUI)

- anime, space glow skin

-Night Battles

-remove camouflage

- Mod camera in the port

-Remove fog

-login video mod (kancolle, azur lane, girls frontline, etc..)

-Circles magic effect

-Blue flames

-canon shell & color trail

-anime & pantsu flag/signal

-gun maker

I install them manually, I do not like to use modpacks, it is a lot of work to update several.

Thanks to all the users who update their mods, they deserve heaven. :fish_aqua:

[AXANR]
Members
151 posts
3,133 battles

No mods whatsoever, I play the vanilla game.

Why? Well...maybe a habit, or "gamer culture" if you will, I started playing MMO games back with Ultima Online in 1996, and third party programs were not acceptable and considered cheats..so it stuck on..many years later and many other games later, Mods seemed to become more popular with World of Warcraft..I still never used them..so habit..

old school gamer I guess...

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
21,390 posts
11,904 battles

I have no problem playing the game vanilla but these are what I like to run.

MajorRenegade's icons version 3 for the ship information and the more distinct color difference between whip types.

Hakabase side panels version 1 for ease of watching friend and enemy ship HP. This also gives ship information but I get what I need from MajorRenegade.

BadoBest over target markers HP + Nick name.

Move ribbons and damage counter to center.

AltHud Navigator and smoke counter

[PENND]
Members
332 posts
5,756 battles

I have voiceover mod of HSF characters. The biggest thing is skin mods. I am very picky about how things look like having the highest graphics settings possible and things that are modeled after real vehicles, in this case ships. I want my ships to look like they really did in terms of camo. Only problem is a couple of ships I have still need skins (Enterprise and Midway being the most immediate) and I can't find non anime skins for them. Any help would be appreciated.

[N-W-T]
Members
1,740 posts
7,046 battles

Score Timer - should be a standard game feature.  

Running Lights - red/yellow/green icon that shows if ships is reversing/stationary/going forward. Underrated. Very useful against camping ships to know whether to aim fore or aft. 

Gun bloom timer - how many seconds until your gun bloom goes back to base concealment. 

Ping - Forget what it's called but the one they highlights the ping if it gets bad. 

Secondaries/AA status - honestly not that useful IMO but for some reason I add it with each patch. 

[1KR]
Members
0 posts

Nope. 

WG's god-awful anti-illegal-mods system has dinged me for using prohibited mods when I don't use mods at all. 

I figure if I bothered actually modding they'd probably show up at my house and shoot my dog or something. 

Never really been into modding these types of games anyway.