19 comments in this topic

[NDA]
Supertester
3,402 posts
6,637 battles

Thinking about picking up the Duke since I have the dubloons on hand, good buy or just pick up some other ship from the arsenal/tech tree? Like, I don't know scharnhorst/atago or something. 

Edited by Sinboto

Members
1,691 posts
8,495 battles
6 minutes ago, Sinboto said:

Thinking about picking up the Prince since I have the dubloons on hand, good buy or just pick up some other ship from the arsenal/tech tree? Like, I don't know scharnhorst/atago or something. 

A message from the future!

• Funny 2

[MIA-P]
Members
684 posts
6,749 battles

Well, if you mean the King George V, then sure.

If you're talking about the Duke of York:

image.png.faa5d3ebdd301e02ab7e1bf980e08c14.png

That thing isn't worth the port slot it comes in.

[WAIFU]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
13,568 posts
5,666 battles

I would prefer not to see another (no doubt gimmicky) KGV sister, and second KGV class premium for now.  There are other things like Italy, Pan Europe, Pan South America, more British cruiser premiums which I think should be a higher priority.

• Cool 1

Members
1,970 posts
12,245 battles

If you meant Duke Of York the answer is No. Grind yourself a King George instead for credits. I have both ships and KGV is a much better ship. 

[NDA]
Supertester
3,402 posts
6,637 battles

yeah, sorry I've not been getting enough sleep it seems, I'll edit that out in a jiffy. 

[SF-A]
Members
3,095 posts
6,723 battles

I like my DoY, but it's always going to be second fiddle to Nelson. You need to be agressive for its strength (hydro) to be worth the downsides.

[HELLS]
Members
2,256 posts
21,328 battles

I got it for free so it does not matter much. For me it is the historical connection with Scharnhorst at North Cape that made me get her in the missions when she first came out. She is a good lighter, but that's about it. Since I have KGV I tend to play KGV more and used DoY as a trainer since she is capable at credit/XP grinds.

[WOLF6]
Members
728 posts
6,507 battles
6 hours ago, Sinboto said:

Thinking about picking up the Duke since I have the dubloons on hand, good buy or just pick up some other ship from the arsenal/tech tree? Like, I don't know scharnhorst/atago or something. 

Grab the Scharnhorst if you can , I have the DOY and the KGV , the KGV is superior to the DOY , I rarely play the DOY but use the KGV a fair amount  especially when I need to set fires .. The Scharnhorst is just a blast to play , speed , torps , armor , secondaries and a fast reload , cruiser killer par excellence .

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
21,245 posts
19,617 battles

Duke of York has one important thing that isn't shown in Port that King George V doesn't have.  It's something that people almost never remember to bring up.

Special AP bounce angles.  KGV & DOY if you want to compare, click on the AP shell to expand the info.  Both have the short AP fusing of RN BBs, but DOY has special bounce angles like a USN CA does for AP.  Here's Baltimore if you want to compare.

Another source of DOY having special AP bounce angles while KGV doesn't.

The catch however is the significantly slower reload of DOY than KGV.  KGV has a very nice 25 second reload, so the 29.5 on DOY feels very punishing.  KGV, the guns feel like they're available every time you need them.

• Cool 1

[HSD]
Members
482 posts
10,706 battles

Also of note some recently announced testing changes. Please note that the info is PRELIMINARY.

Duke of York is one of the ships included.

Spoiler

British battleships King George V, Lion, Duke of York, Monarch, Conqueror:

• The citadel is raised and it will take some of the casemate space.

conq.jpg

• The Repair Party consumable is changed:
    • Restoration of the casemate (non-citadel) damage increased from 60% to 75%.
    • Duke of York number of charges increased from 2 to 3.
    • King George V, Duke of York and Monarch restore 0.6% of maximum amount of HP per second instead of 0.5%.
    • Repair Party reload time lowered for King George V, Monarch and Duke of York from 120 to 90 s.
    • Repair Party reload time lowered for Lion and Conqueror from 180 to 120 s.

[UN1]
Members
641 posts
2,327 battles
6 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Duke of York has one important thing that isn't shown in Port that King George V doesn't have.  It's something that people almost never remember to bring up.

Special AP bounce angles.  KGV & DOY if you want to compare, click on the AP shell to expand the info.  Both have the short AP fusing of RN BBs, but DOY has special bounce angles like a USN CA does for AP.  Here's Baltimore if you want to compare.

Another source of DOY having special AP bounce angles while KGV doesn't.

The catch however is the significantly slower reload of DOY than KGV.  KGV has a very nice 25 second reload, so the 29.5 on DOY feels very punishing.  KGV, the guns feel like they're available every time you need them.

It also has best-in-tier AA for T7, which in a post CV rework world is a very valuable asset.

@Sinboto

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
21,245 posts
19,617 battles
5 hours ago, Ranari said:

It also has best-in-tier AA for T7, which in a post CV rework world is a very valuable asset.

@Sinboto

AA is an Achilles Heel for KGV.  It's very bad, which is funny.  Queen Elizabeth in Tier VI has fierce AA for a Tier VI BB, Tier VIII Monarch is respectable.  Then you got KGV and Nelson in Tier VII with terrible AA.

[FLS]
Alpha Tester
724 posts
3,373 battles

Unpopular opinion: I actually like the Duke of York.

Yes, the longer reload feels punishing, but it has some significant advantages, and I find the DPM handicap makes the ship more interesting to play. It has superior AA to KGV, and also has Hydro, the combination of which makes it a bit more comfortable to push with. It also has 'Murrican-like AP normalization; this, combined with the longer reload on the main battery, encourages more planning and consideration with regard to ammo choice and target selection, as opposed to simply spamming HE.

The DPM disadvantage is significant, especially at a tier when most battleships have 15" or 16" guns that can overmatch 25mm armor, but DoY's advantages over KGV are also significant and I feel it's worth the trade-off. Duke of York is less of a dog than it used to be.

--Helms

[Y0L0]
Members
171 posts
12,106 battles

I say yes. I always liked my Duke of York even before her repair party was buffed. as @HAZE_GRAY_N_UNDERWAY mentioned her AP has improved autobounce angles, which when coupled with her good sigma is very rewarding; her hydro is a great advantage for avoiding torpedoes, chasing down destroyers and dueling with Mutsu, Kii, Tirpitz and the T710 German sisters; and at least so far, her AA has been murderous even to T8 aircraft. And all of this was before she got a new heal that heals back more casemate damage, and you now get base of 3; in the old days you could only get a max of four and they weren't very good, now you get a max of five and they're very useful.
The reload is a drawback compared to KGV, but tbh I think that she's more accurate than KGV; be patient, time your shots and you won't really notice (except when you do of course :Smile_teethhappy:)

[JHSAV]
Beta Testers
38 posts
6,881 battles

I'm not sure what these people above are talking about, perhaps they just can't play BBs or something: The DoY is a great ship, amazing guns, great heal, decent mobility. I adore mine.

For security reasons, please do not provide your personal data or the personal data of a third party here because we might be unable to protect such data in accordance with the Wargaming Privacy Policy.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.