You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
grorg

How do you play destroyers

43 comments in this topic

[GOOF]
Members
313 posts
4,367 battles

Ok serious question I want to Kno how you, yes you right there you with the face, play destroyers. 

Not a complete noob to DD I have a minekaze and I was awarded a Leningrad today Wich I like quite a bit. I am overall a cruiser captain at heart. 

Today's meta with cv, yeah you know where I'm coming from, has changed the game for both of us. 

It's nice to support a DD in my aosta, but it hurts when I see dds wasted where they can be so influential on a match. 

From a cruiser prospective I want DDS to survive so they can be more of a menace to those dirty reds.

How are you supposed to utilize smoke to everybody's benefit? 

I would love to get the mind of a DD main on this thread so I can support work more cohesively. 

How do YOU play DD and have an all star game. 

ImpStarDestroyer-SWI125.jpg

[EGIRL]
Beta Testers
4,340 posts
13,110 battles

Use smoke for cruisers? Its depends.

The cruiser is helping pushing? The cruiser if a good player? The cruiser will support you? Its depends.

Also, what i do

usn line: close/mid range suport, also flood with torps.

ijn gunboat: smoke+pew pew pew everthing, because is just fun do that.

Other dd lines i dont really like play with to say anything. I liked german dd line but is so nerfed i dont play with anymore.

If the cv choise annoy me i just smoke and run, and be patient util he be bored as me and go find another targer.

• Cool 2

[GOOF]
Members
313 posts
4,367 battles
4 minutes ago, HyenaHiena said:

Use smoke for cruisers? Its depends.

The cruiser is helping pushing? The cruiser if a good player? The cruiser will support you? Its depends.

Also, what i do

usn line: close/mid range suport, also flood with torps.

ijn gunboat: smoke+pew pew pew everthing, because is just fun do that.

Other dd lines i dont really like play with to say anything. I liked german dd line but is so nerfed i dont play with anymore.

If the cv choise annoy me i just smoke and run, and be patient util he be bored as me and go find another targer.

Thank you m8 

I also feel the German lines have been left to rust in power creep. I rarely see German DD in my matches any more. 

As for smoke I was referring to dd, your ijn suggestion I really will take to heart. 

Grew up reading stories of Guadalcanal in WW2 books and the fear of the Tokyo express destroyers always wowd, lol, me. 

• Cool 1

[AK-49]
[AK-49]
Members
217 posts
4,242 battles

Terribly.

I'll wait until the French Line comes out before I try again. 

Members
4,080 posts
9,031 battles

I only play the Asashio at this point, the closest thing you can get to a Uboat stealth stalking CVs and BBs and torping them from a distance. Maxed out detectability range 5.4 km, 2.4 km by air. Good spotter and late-battle cap-grabber as well.

[ANZ4C]
Beta Testers
1,190 posts
25 minutes ago, grorg said:

How are you supposed to utilize smoke to everybody's benefit?

Smoke is 98% for your benefit. There's the odd time that an allied cruiser is trying to go dark and back off around a corner that might benefit from you smoke. Mostly though, trying to smoke for you team is a waste of smoke and time. That BB cant use your smoke, its smoke firing penalty is still huge. The cruiser is more likely to drive straight through it than use it as you hoped he would, and even if timed perfectly and used appropriately... its a torp magnet waiting to happen. Most cruisers would prefer open water dodging, although some island hugging HE spammers might like an open water smoke, although they are less likely to already be in said open water.

Know your own smoke limitation and uses. If you have short smoke, use it as a vision break, or back into a spot before puffing smoke, so as youre starting to run before that 30s runs out and are not caught in the headlights, so to speak. If you have US last-forever smoke, before you pop it defensively, consider that you may have just given your enemy 2 minutes of concealed fire and royally screwed over your support ships behind you.

Dont lay a line of smoke thinking youre covering your team's advance. You are actually doing the opposite and concealing the enemy, who might have been shot to pieces by your BBs and CAs beind you. Also be aware that an enemy advancing towards your smoke clouds can shoot from a few kms behind your smoke and remain concealed, whereas your team, 10km back and wishing to advance, now has to do so under possible invisible fire. This is a sure fire way to cripple your flank.

Always have an exit plan BEFORE you actually need to exit any part of the map. This goes for island ambushes, cap contests and open water flank torping. The time to start avoiding a problem is when you first discover it, not AFTER it becomes a problem. This includes steering away from planes at 10km from them, not as they start the attack run, and skirting the edge of radar range of a known or suspected cruiser before it actually pops the consumable. If you need to travel 7km to escape a radar, you have already committed naval suicide.

Finally... learn your maps, and the game meta that often dictates where players go in which ships from which spawn locations. As a DD you are the most influential class for early map development and eventual team victory. Have a plan at the start, and be prepared to chuck that plan and have a backup.

• Cool 2

[PHD]
Members
637 posts
2,904 battles

If the new French DDs are going to remain without smoke that may be interesting. I forget about the smoke often since I started in cruisers.

I started playing the Aigle.  It is like a reverse Yubari. It's a DD that thinks it's a cruiser while the Yubari is a cruiser that thinks it's a DD. 

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,621 posts
15,905 battles

If a CV is in play:

Don't rush caps.

See where his planes are going.

Do you have AA support. 

Provide vision for team and stay alive.

Mid to late game cap and torp the masses.

No CV In play:

Try to cap, dont contest, spot and kite away

Stay alive.

Csp later.

Harras and torp.

• Cool 2

[PHASE]
Members
4,722 posts
16,143 battles

To be a quality dd player you must know all of the attributes of the other dd's and cruisers in the game. Ranges and reloads on guns, torps, hydro and radar. Be actively aware of if your AA is on or off, and when to switch. Some smoke lasts forever some smoke is fleeting.

One of the biggest mistakes dds make is trying to do the right thing and smoke their team but do it to close to the enemy or the cap. Once someone pops radar or gets to close, or the smoke runs out... the ships in the smoke are in deep trouble.

I always give my smoke up as a US DD. I tell them where I will run a smoke line and the key is doing it far enough back or towards an island that will provide an escape for those using it. It's very rewarding if it's used properly. Often I will tell them that I will resmoke in 45 seconds and make my way back to do so. Granted, if no one uses it or blows right through it all bets are off and just play your game.

There are many successful ways to play dd, the key is spotting, you can dictate a game simply by keeping ships spotted. Easier said than done at times, but no one is going to complain if you keep the enemy lit up.

If you play chess, the DD is a pawn, often thrown away early in the game but lethal late game.

• Cool 1

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,099 posts
6,285 battles

In IJN DDs (Asashio and Fubuki), I fear everything. I fear USN DDs, RN DDs, RU DDs, Radar, Bombers, Hydro-Acoustics, some BBs. I stay hidden for as long as I can until most of the enemy has been accounted for. Once you know or have an idea of where the enemy ships are only then you can decide on what to do.

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,099 posts
6,285 battles

Not sure if my tactics are valid...

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
23,707 posts
3,895 battles

You do about 300% more work than everyone else for 50% of the reward and 100% of the blame.

• Cool 7

[WOLF3]
Members
1,568 posts
6,045 battles

I play like this...

:Smile_izmena:  :cap_rambo:  :fish_viking:  :etc_swear:

I hate playing like this...

:etc_hide_turtle:  :Smile_hiding:  :fish_sleep:

• Cool 2

[B-W-M]
[B-W-M]
Members
469 posts
5,476 battles

Destroyer, played correctly, are over powered, shark baiting, murder machines - generating salt with a Morton's mining license.

Every single one of them can be played to the benefit of your team. Claims of radar, planes, hydro, pink unicorns and peeps telling you how to play should be taken

With a grain of the salt that you just mined.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[WOLFC]
Members
1,263 posts
6,886 battles

#1 Lesson DON'T GO OUT ALONE

The CV's didn't change the meta for me except it takes 1 minute or so to get going.

Its all about concealment, the application of presence, the application of spotting & firepower.

• Cool 1

[NFE]
Members
285 posts
3,013 battles

You have to walk a fine line between pushing ahead to spot/scout, and staying alive for late game. You have to draw the enemy fire so they aren't killing your heavy ships, but not so much that they kill you. And sometimes you have to die in order that your team can do a lot of damage, especially when your team has other DDs.

[S_C_N]
Beta Testers
302 posts
1,766 battles

Depends on the DD. Some are torpedo boats, some are like tiny cruisers. The main thing is if you're not in the front (especially with a no CV game), your team is going to die blind (and understandably cheesed off), so when in doubt, scout. On multi caps, try to take or at least harass a cap (until you win or retreat because that's where the red lemming train is going).

Edit: ALWAYS press P to shut off your AA while hiding in smoke, or you're a sitting duck.

• Cool 1

[SAVAG]
[SAVAG]
Members
517 posts

There is a fine line for you to be a DD captain. You mostly have to be a tad bit scuicidal a tad bit crazy a tad bit mind reader and be able to react on the fly.

You have to develop you own style of play. I am a novice DD captain. Only having most of the Japanese DDs. And most of the Russian DDs. And they are totally different . Situational awareness and the ability to make a desición based on wheather you want to help others or yourself comes into play as well. All in all have fun doing it and don't be afraid to try out diffrent tactics .

Gl m8. Have lots of fun and remember fly those flags . They keep stuff from exploding  on your speedboat. .

Lol

Cheers :Smile_honoring:

[GOOF]
Members
313 posts
4,367 battles

Thanks m8s really enjoying my new toy and yeah Leningrad is gonna take some getting used to. Lots of good players here.

• Cool 1

[HRVAT]
[HRVAT]
Members
949 posts
7,745 battles

Pozdrav !!!

DD Captain reporting in !!!!

How I play DD depend on the country and what exact DD i am in.... So I will list some of my DD...

Blyzkawica - I play as a gun boat and ambush DD. It do not have very good cover or torpedo or gun. All is medium skill. So have to play as support ship mainly for cruiser and BB. Use you smoke for youself OR teammate depend on situation.. 

Aigle - Play similar to Blyz

Shimakaze - This is ultimate ninja DD. Do not use 20 km torpedo. Use 12 km wih torpedo captain boost to make 9.6 and fast torpedo hard to dodge. Only use smoke when need to get out of sight, or when put youself in bad position.  ALways try to scout for you team, leave DD killing up to you cruisers but if can take a pot shot here and there, is good. Try stay 11 km from all cruiser with radar, spot for team, try to snipe off BB and dumb cruisers.

Rusija DD's like Tashkent: You are tiny gunboat, use you smoke to hide in and launch shots, make sure get fire starter skill, also can use smoke help teammates shoot from or get into a position. You are not scout DD or torpedo DD unless can ambush from behind a rock.

Fletcher / Gearing: Gunboat DD with ok torpedoes. Is good to spray and pray like Atlanta and use torpedoes as secondary to get unsuspecting BB's or such.

Always remember cruiser is you biggest enemy and stay far away from radar ships.

When come to AA, is maybe good to spec into AA if have american or rusija DD. Japan DD not good for AA so just shut this off to lower you conceal.

EDIT: I just start a rank match in my Shima, I will post replay so can see how i play DD

20190619_203658_PJSD012-Shimakaze-1943_23_Shards.wowsreplay

Edited by LadyAnesjka
  • Cool 2

[UMP]
Members
251 posts
4,300 battles

I run DD as a support ship for BB's usually. Provide smoke, torp enemies that get too close, spot what needs to be spotted, and will light up a target to draw fire from the BBs and Cruisers if possible.