You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
SJ_Sailer

What to do when you have only 50 hp left?

29 comments in this topic

[ADPT2]
[ADPT2]
Members
883 posts
2,502 battles

This is a serious question.

When you find yourself shot up and on your last breath what is proper form?  I thought staying alive was of most importance as if you die you lose points for the team.

Last game I was roundly criticized for going to hang out with our CV when a BB took all but 50 hp from me.  Should I have continued to fight knowing one stray shell would do me in?

I am speaking of cruisers in my case, I can imagine a DD with no hp left would be more useful spotting but a cruiser with no heal or battleship with no heal left, what is proper etiquette?

Members
23,232 posts
5,863 battles

I don't think there is any "proper ettiquette", it's situational.

For example, if it happened to me early, I'd probably stay at max range, and contribute damage when possible.

Late game, if it's reasonably close, I might go completely dark and withdraw, possibly looking for an uncontested cap.

Staying alive is definitely important, but if you can get yourself into a (as far as you can tell anyway) low-risk situation while still contributing, it might be worth the gamble.

Edited by Skpstr
  • Cool 2

[PHASE]
Members
4,731 posts
16,143 battles

If possible, hide and do damage where you can, no matter the amount. Possibly do an end around and try to back cap a cap.. Some times sacrificing a ship to expose others is a good trade. All depends on if your winning or losing and the health of other ships. Staying alive is always better than not, its like a 90 point swing if you die.

[ARGSY]
Members
12,931 posts
8,245 battles

It depends very much on whether you are well ahead in a ROFLstomp, clawing your way to a narrow win, or on the receiving end of an unavoidable rollover loss. In the first and the last case, keeping those points away from the enemy team is irrelevant; you might as well go forward, try to get some more damage if you can, maybe blap a careless cruiser if you are in a BB. The middle ground is where you should be risk-averse, but the individual circumstances are too varied to make hard and fast rules.

[-BUI-]
Members
1,331 posts
3,445 battles

In a DD:  Attempt to go dark, only fire in smoke (still risky) or just torp for the rest of the game.

In a Cruiser:  If I can shoot over islands, do that, otherwise run to the border and just try to stay alive.

In a BB:  Wait to die.

[UEFN]
Members
970 posts
17,538 battles

with only 50hp left you still can find an island and camp behind to continue spamming HE, that's what I'd do.

Members
900 posts
3,912 battles

If the team needs me alive I go dark.  If I'm in a dark DD I can still be dangerous with torps.  Anything else I run/hide.  If the team doesnt need me alive I will ram if possible and if not just keep shooting until I get taken down.  The repair bill is the same either way.

-Members-
272 posts
3,159 battles

Regardless of ship class, BREAK CONTACT if at all possible. Getting out of the firing line is crucial. 

Once clear of the cauldron, you can reassess the situation and find the best way to get back into the battle.

DD: Likely reposition and find a differnt angle of attack.

CA: Depending on the type of ship, perhaps falling back to support Cap or assist other ships unsupported.

BB: Taking the time to heal up as much as you can. Then choose your point of contact, or if spotted, seek to find an advantageous position. 

For me, some of my fav matches had this situation and I had to find a way back to influence the match. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
21,342 posts
11,846 battles
15 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

I don't think there is any "proper ettiquette", it's situational.

For example, if it happened to me early, I'd probably stay at max range, and contribute damage when possible.

Late game, if it's reasonably close, I might go completely dark and withdraw, possibly looking for an uncontested cap.

Staying alive is definitely important, but if you can get yourself into a (as far as you can tell anyway) low-risk situation while still contributing, it might be worth the gamble.

You nailed it except for if you can repair and can go dark, then only take "safe" shots while you patch the old girl up.

[WDS]
Members
1,780 posts
8,959 battles
28 minutes ago, SJ_Sailer said:

When you find yourself shot up and on your last breath what is proper form?  I thought staying alive was of most importance as if you die you lose points for the team.

Last game I was roundly criticized for going to hang out with our CV when a BB took all but 50 hp from me.  Should I have continued to fight knowing one stray shell would do me in?

I am speaking of cruisers in my case, I can imagine a DD with no hp left would be more useful spotting but a cruiser with no heal or battleship with no heal left, what is proper etiquette?

If your losing and can’t win you have to go down fighting  like a man . If your winning and the teams needs you to stay alive run for your life . 

Edited by clammboy
  • Cool 1

[SOV]
Members
2,918 posts
25 minutes ago, SJ_Sailer said:

If it will settle match and you living means you win. Then hide.

Last night it was at the end. If I lived we win if I died we lose. I had ducktape and spit holding ship together so I went black and waited.

Members
1,979 posts
12,245 battles

Depends on the ship. If it's a DD and there's none or one CV  you have options. For instance about a year and a half ago I was in my Kami with 62 hp left. I still managed to sink 3 ships. I just made sure I was far out of detection range and played cautiously. In a BB you are toast unless you can swim away undetected and hide for the remainder of the battle. New CV rework has made it hard to stay undetected these days. Three cheers for the WG developers for fixing something that wasn't broken!

• Boring 1

Members
276 posts

What do you do with a dying warship?

Early in the morning?

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
6,149 posts
9,473 battles
42 minutes ago, SJ_Sailer said:

in any ship? pray to RNG

Edited by tcbaker777

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
1,790 posts
8,655 battles

Find a safe place.  It might be behind an island where you can lob shots at the enemy.  It might be out of sight, way back out of range.  You have to judge based on the circumstances.  In a cruiser, you probably have the best chance to actually continue to contribute by lobbing shots while someone else spots.  If a ship has its guns pointed in your direction and has line of sight, don't shoot and expose yourself.  Sometimes you can get on the backside of the enemy guns.  Then you can shoot and go dark before they can swing their turrets around to aim at you.  If they stay aimed in your direction, don't shoot, but you will be preventing them from doing damage to anyone else on your team.  If they don't aim their guns at you, continue to shoot them.

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
11,251 posts
20,261 battles
1 hour ago, clammboy said:

If your losing and can’t win you have to go down fighting  like a man . If your winning and the teams needs you to stay alive run for your life . 

Except I don’t need the credits or the fxp.

I do as the mood strikes me. If that means going dark and vanishing, that’s what I do.

Reds can’t find me? Then maybe they need to worry more about capping out.

Members
23,232 posts
5,863 battles
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

You nailed it except for if you can repair and can go dark, then only take "safe" shots while you patch the old girl up.

Heh, at triple digit HP, if I had a repair, I might totally hide through the cooldown for the next one, depending on the situation.... 

[NLIST]
Beta Testers
1,422 posts
13,661 battles

Regret your poor life choices that got you into the situation and learn for the next battle.  Clammboy said it best, let your actions depend on whether you are winning or losing as a team.  If winning, stay alive and ignore chat urging you to fight and die - those guys are probably 45%'s and have no clue why.  If you are losing, try to heal as much as possible and then go for a brawl/ram of the highest HP ship of the enemy near you.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
21,342 posts
11,846 battles
6 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

Heh, at triple digit HP, if I had a repair, I might totally hide through the cooldown for the next one, depending on the situation.... 

Depending on the ship and how much time is left you can get back to a respectable but still low HP.

Now if you are playing one of the zombie repair ships you just hit the "Print-a-ship" button and press on.  :Smile_hiding:

[ADPT2]
[ADPT2]
Members
883 posts
2,502 battles

Thanks for the advice, maybe I quit a bit too early.

4 minutes left, tied score, we had 2 caps to 1, me in a low HP Helena plus, 1 BB - 1 CA - 1 CV on our side beside me.  2-BB - 2 CA - 0 CV on the Reds.

We did lose that one by the way.

[WDS]
Members
1,780 posts
8,959 battles
1 hour ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Except I don’t need the credits or the fxp.

I do as the mood strikes me. If that means going dark and vanishing, that’s what I do.

Reds can’t find me? Then maybe they need to worry more about capping out.

1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

Depending on the ship and how much time is left you can get back to a respectable but still low HP.

Now if you are playing one of the zombie repair ships you just hit the "Print-a-ship" button and press on.  :Smile_hiding:

Yes of course you can do as you please I only meant if there is no way to win I just fight till I’m dead I never run . I’m not one of the make it hard on them drag it out till the end guys . I just try to take some one with me or do as much damage as I can if it’s hopeless . Of course I’m not good so I’m usually never the last ship left . 

Edited by clammboy
  • Cool 1

[SIM]
Members
3,841 posts
6,404 battles

Go dark if you can so that you can reassess and re-engage. :cap_rambo::cap_rambo::cap_rambo: if you can’t.

Members
1,979 posts
12,245 battles

If you're a DD you can spot for your team while staying alive