Kami

ST: French Arc, New Map and Balance Changes

72 comments in this topic

-Members-
1,640 posts
792 battles

Please note that the information in the Development Blog is preliminary.

The French arc will begin with the release of the 0.8.6 update featuring the early access to French destroyers. The port of Marseille is decorated to celebrate the event.

Marseille.jpg

There will be 4 directives, completing which you can earn containers. From them you can get combat missions for early access to French destroyers of tiers V - VIII.

A new temporary resource - 'Republic' tokens is also added. You can get it for different activities in game and exchange in the Armory for in-game goodies. Permanent camouflages, "French Navy" are available for French destroyers, giving the standard bonuses of permanent camouflages depending on the tier of the ship.

New camouflage added, with the following bonuses:

• -3% to detectability range.
  • +4% to maximum dispersion of shells fired by the enemy at your ship.
  • +100% XP per battle
  • +75% Commander XP per battle
  • +50% Free XP per battle

Repub.jpg

New map "Crash Zone Alpha" is added to the game. The name was proposed by the MDF clan from the Clan Special Test. The visuals of the map resemble the white cliffs of Dover and is complemented by wrecked ships. The map is for battles of tiers VIII - X in two versions of the "Domination" mode: with 3 or 4 key areas. In Random battles, the layout of islands on the sides of key areas makes the approach to them safer and allows for flank attacks. Due to the height difference of some islands, they can't serve as dependable cover. In Clan battles the proximity of "home" key areas changes the usual tactics: these areas are not the safest.

Crash Zone Alpha.jpg

CZA2.jpg

New, sunny weather is added to the "Greece" map, and islands at the back of the teams are changed so that they provide better cover.

Greece 5.jpg

Balance Changes:

Tier X French cruiser Henri IV:

• Main caliber guns reload time increased from 12.3 to 13 s.

Henri IV is one of the most efficient cruisers. A large caliber and Main Battery Reload Booster consumable allow her to deal a high amount of damage. To balance the ship with her classmates, the reload time for the main caliber guns is increased.

Tier IX and X German cruisers Roon and Hindenburg:

• Main caliber reload time decreased from 11 to 10.5 s.

In the update 0.7.6 the reload time of these ships was increased and these German cruisers were balanced with other ships. But balance in game is not static, and further changes affected Roon and Hindenburg in comparison to cruisers of other nations. In the 0.7.9 update they got an additional charge of the Repair party consumable. Now, according to statistics, they are still weaker than other classmates in terms of combat efficiency, and lowered reload time will increase the total damage done by this two ships.

105 mm secondary guns on Tirpitz, Bismarck, Graf Zeppelin and tiers VIII - X German cruisers:

• Armor penetration increased from 17 to 25 mm.

The change will allow 105 mm secondaries of German ships to penetrate the plating of destroyers, battleships and cruisers of tiers VI - VII. 

Tier VIII Japanese battleship Kii:

• Armor of citadel deck increased from 22 to 32 mm.

After penetrating the armor belt of the Kii, shells with a caliber of 356 mm and more didn't ricochet against the thin armor of the citadel deck and penetrated it. To increase the survivability of the ship, the armor was increased from 22 to 32 mm.

Tier VIII German destroyer Z-23:

• The amount of HP of the stock hull is increased from 14 700 to 16 700.

The difference in the amount of HP between stock and re-searchable hulls is 4 800. This is a high amount for a destroyer, and to make the change smoother, the stock hull is improved.

Tier X Soviet destroyer Grozovoi:

• Main caliber guns reload time increased from 4 to 4.2 s.

Grozovoi is one of the strongest destroyers at the moment. Extensive choice of consumables and good parameters allow the ship to fulfill almost any role in battle. Increased reload time will balance her with other destroyers.

Le Fantasque.jpg

• Cool 5
  • Funny 1

[SUCIT]
Members
348 posts
13,952 battles
On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 11:29 AM, Kami said:

Le Fantasque.jpg

I really like that camo, just remove that angel up front (or make it smaller), it just doesn't look right with every other part of the camo. 

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,320 posts
5,270 battles
On 6/19/2019 at 11:29 AM, Kami said:

Tier X French cruiser Henri IV:

• Main caliber guns reload time increased from 12.3 to 13 s.

Henri IV is one of the most efficient cruisers. A large caliber and Main Battery Reload Booster consumable allow her to deal a high amount of damage. To balance the ship with her classmates, the reload time for the main caliber guns is increased.

Having just recently gotten Henri and only playing her for a little bit... Yeah that's fair. Honestly I don't see why the French cruiser got MBRB in the first place, they certainly felt strong enough to me.

• Cool 1

-Members-
1,640 posts
792 battles
6 minutes ago, Landsraad said:

Having just recently gotten Henri and only playing her for a little bit... Yeah that's fair. Honestly I don't see why the French cruiser got MBRB in the first place, they certainly felt strong enough to me.

Hey Landsraad,

The MBRB is more of the nation's flavor so that is why it has it. Gotta try and keep things unique and different =). The Henri is a great ship and can deal out the damage very quickly. .7 seconds doesn't seem like that much but it can be quite a lot of time if you extrapolate that over a whole match. Remember though, these changes are preliminary and subject to change of course. 

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,320 posts
5,270 battles
Just now, Kami said:

Hey Landsraad,

The MBRB is more of the nation's flavor so that is why it has it. Gotta try and keep things unique and different =). The Henri is a great ship and can deal out the damage very quickly. .7 seconds doesn't seem like that much but it can be quite a lot of time if you extrapolate that over a whole match. Remember though, these changes are preliminary and subject to change of course. 

Right, and I get that, but there's one thing that confuses me about French cruisers getting MBRB: They already HAD a flavor: Speed boost. And they were doing fine with it. Maybe not stellar, but still solid. So why add a second gimmick on top of that?

• Cool 1

[FAE]
Members
2,364 posts
2,886 battles
On 6/19/2019 at 8:29 AM, Kami said:

Le Fantasque.jpg

New camouflage added, with the following bonuses:

T8 French BB? Fantasque? 

• Funny 4

[FAE]
Members
2,364 posts
2,886 battles

Also inb4, Grozovoi gets a 4.0->4.2 increase. YueYang literally loses a whole turret of DPM back down to Chung Mu's 5 turret DPM. 

Wargaming @Kami, this nerf was sick. Can an alternative be reconsidered for YueYang? 

• Cool 2

[-RNG-]
Supertester
2,685 posts
3,560 battles

Cant say it wouldnt ne nice to have a few month break in between these national arcs... but at the same time, it's the last Soviet and French lines to complete the tree (save for CVs), so it is kinda warranted. 

Either way, I'm ready! 

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
4,742 posts
15,454 battles
2 minutes ago, _1204_ said:

Cant say it wouldnt ne nice to have a few month break in between these national arcs... but at the same time, it's the last Soviet and French lines to complete the tree (save for CVs), so it is kinda warranted. 

Either way, I'm ready! 

There will be a month break. We're in 0.8.4 now, 0.8.5 is post-apocalpytic Destroyer Div Royale, and the French arc begins in 0.8.6.

[WOLF8]
Members
5,136 posts
4,927 battles

I'm just happy that German ships are getting some love, lol. :Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by Blorgh2017
  • Cool 2

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,794 posts
3,988 battles

The buff to KM BBs is a small but good start; now how about giving the main guns some sort of custom dispersion curve that is half-way between VMF and standard European dispersion; starting off with the usual terrible, long-range accuracy but slowly getting more accurate the closer in they are?

Or failing that, both a range and accuracy buff to German Secondaries; starting out at 18km but with awful dispersion, but getting more accurate the closer the target is. Basically VMF BB-esque dispersion but for secondaries instead. That way, it avoids having to give them a straight secondary accuracy buff like Mass/Georgia/Ohio, but they can become that accurate within 10km. Adding Manual Secondaries would mainly benefit the accuracy a bit at longer range.

• Cool 1

[SOUP]
Privateers, Supertester, Modder
8,460 posts

Oh ho ho ho~ What's this~?

[WAIFU]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
13,568 posts
5,666 battles
On 6/19/2019 at 4:29 PM, Kami said:

Le Fantasque.jpg

What's this? French battleship Le Fantasque? And I thought ze Germans were stupid in uptiering Gneisenau and called her a cruiser.

Oh those crazy Frenchies. :Smile_teethhappy:

-Members-
1,640 posts
792 battles

Hey Super_dreadnought,

Thanks for pointing that oops out! The Le Fantasque is definitely a FR DD!

[SOV]
Members
2,918 posts
2 hours ago, Kami said:

Hey Landsraad,

I have to agree with the Henry. I have legondary and reload my reload is under 10 sec and every hit is at least 1k.

But still I wish it did not happen.

Rank games were sp much better driving Henry than all my cv.

[WOLFC]
Members
511 posts
20,253 battles

Another new map! Great! How about some new maps for low and mid tier?

[WORX]
Members
5,037 posts
15,593 battles

Considering, German BB secondaries were already crossing the thresh hold of being

• over-powering
  • over-capable
  • no-skills to do more DMG in secondaries then with main guns
  • Having to much range other ships it faces cant counter

I dont see this move as "positive" in achieving balance game play.

• Confused 4
  • Boring 2

[UN1]
Members
641 posts
2,328 battles
39 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

Considering, German BB secondaries were already crossing the thresh hold of being

• over-powering
  • over-capable
  • no-skills to do more DMG in secondaries then with main guns
  • Having to much range other ships it faces cant counter

I dont see this move as "positive" in achieving balance game play.

Really?  What game are you playing?  lol

[UN1]
Members
641 posts
2,328 battles
On 6/19/2019 at 11:29 AM, Kami said:

105 mm secondary guns on Tirpitz, Bismarck, Graf Zeppelin and tiers VIII - X German cruisers:

• Armor penetration increased from 17 to 25 mm.

The change will allow 105 mm secondaries of German ships to penetrate the plating of destroyers, battleships and cruisers of tiers VI - VII.

I am so excited for this!  @Kamican you let the devs know, too, that the very rear 105mm turret on the Bismarck and Tirpitz doesn't like to fire over top of the 150mm turret below it.  The other 105mm guns seem to just fine though.  Is this a bug that can be fixed?

• Cool 1

[WORX]
Members
5,037 posts
15,593 battles
12 minutes ago, Ranari said:

Really?  What game are you playing?  lol

WOWS games of Notser, Ichase, Flamu, and FLambass... I am against secondary guns shooting automatically for me at a target AND out dmging my main guns.

The same can be said for the BB Richelieu, BB Massachusetts,  secondaries should not be out damaging guns you control (like main guns).

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Confused 2
  • Boring 2

[UNNAT]
Members
426 posts
4,770 battles

If your secondaries are out damaging your main guns regularly it sounds like a PEBCAK issue.

• Funny 1
  • Confused 1

[UN1]
Members
641 posts
2,328 battles
6 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

WOWS games of Notser, Ichase, Flamu, and FLambass... I am against secondary guns shooting automatically for me at a target AND out dmging my main guns.

The same can be said for the BB Richelieu, BB Massachusetts,  secondaries should not be out damaging guns you control (like main guns).

I've played countless games with full secondary builds.  I've only ever had 2 oddball games where my secondaries did more than my main battery.  They were both in the T9 Ranked Arms Race using my FDG.

• Confused 1

[KAPPA]
Members
881 posts
6,053 battles

I find this highly amusing. I just spent a whole day grinding up Thea Kreutzer to 18 pts for use with and full IFHE secondary build in Bismarck and Tirpitz (working my way back down the line, FDG and GK got that treatment first) and now it looks like that effort is going to pay off even more now. 

As to this Henri IV change, I'm in favor of it. I don't have an HIV yet (French cruisers are still on my low priority grind list), but I do have a Zao and I've always been annoyed that a ship with guns bigger than mine can beat my reload by a significant amount and still do virtually the same damage that I can. HIV isn't the only offender (Moskva comes to mind), but it is the poster child in my mind. Personally, I'd like to see a small (even .5 sec would help) boost to Zao's reload, but this will help for sure. That said, I don't hate the HIV, I just dislike the concept of 9+ inch guns beating the reload of 8 inch guns. Besides, there's only one ship in this game that I hate fighting, no matter what I'm in, and that's the dang Minotaur, it always finds a way to ruin my day in some fashion.

Members
634 posts
6,746 battles

This is the second reload time nerf for Henri IV, I would not say that it is 'fair' before evaluating this in combat.  Besides, 'fair' compared to what? 

• Cool 2

[SALVO]
Members
21,707 posts
22,016 battles
5 hours ago, Kami said:

Hey Landsraad,

Kami, for what little it's worth, this is an idea that was inspired by people complaining about high RoF cruisers of various nations... 

The idea would be to reduce those CL's base RoF, but then give them a main battery reload consumable that had a solid duration (say, something like a minute, with a 2 minute cooldown).  The underlying concept would be that these CLs could engage their highest RoF (using the MRB) for a period of time before the gun barrels needed cooling down, hence the MRB cooldown period.  And this would give those CL's the ability to have a high RoF, but only for a limited period before requiring that barrel cooldown.  The barrel cooldown wouldn't prevent the use of those main guns, just return them to their normal RoF, though it'd be cool (pardon the pun) if during the cooldown, the RoF was actually decreased to be worse than the base reload, so that there was a real cost to using the max RoF.  But that one's probably whistling in the wind.

Anyways, just a thought.