You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
groundace

Proposal of alternate (selectable) loadout on Graf Zeppelin.

6 comments in this topic

Members
77 posts
5,809 battles

Theres been some disdain flying around over Graf Zeppelin's loss of Ju 87's and Bf 109's. And while I think the current loadout works fine (aside from the dive bombers which are utterly incapable of hitting anything or scoring cits but I digress) I see potential for an alternate loadout for GZ, That we could choose for example between the Ta 152 or Stuka to have a different play style.

Pretty much the whole point of GZ from a game play perspective is her ludicrously fast aircraft which suffers from an abysmal turn rate aside from her fighters which are very slow but quite maneuverable. But what if we flip that on its head? Which the Stuka's being noticeably slower but having a tighter turn radius, allowing more active movement instead of the Ta's which work best when lining up multiple enemies for a straight run. Meanwhile the 109's could receive increased speed at the cost of turn rate making it so when you commence an attack run your practically committed to that line. Put that in comparison to the Me-155's which can turn on a dine on their attack run, and while yes their slow speed keeps them in aa much longer, but the abysmal speed in conjunction with the agility allows you to keep with evading ships (including dd's) incredibly well, even if your dispersion suffers. Finally since flight controls don't exist anymore you could mix and match as well or if that proves unbalanced Wargaming could apply alternate loadout to only one air type as well, like only dive bombers can be changed for example.

Now firstly I'll point out that regarding torpedo bombers, I'm unsure if Ju 87's could (even fictionally) fill that role for Wargaming, I know in her original testing GZ had torpedo bombers but that aircraft they were I don't know.

Secondly as far as I know Wargaming has never added a module to a post release ship so the chances of them doing it now seems unlikely. Though ships like Sims, Saipan, and Harekaze do have alternate modules and being premiums no less so perhaps.

That's all I got for now, thoughts? Suggestions? Improvement of your own? Feel free add anything or point out flaws in my idea for alternate aircraft. Heck, maybe we'll get attention from someone on the forums who can route the idea to the correct people.

Anyhow I'm off to stalk my front door waiting for my Eaglemoss Galactica model to arrive ;)

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester
2,839 posts
4,048 battles

Meh..Needs something for sure.....I'm about to put it away to mothball - TBH. Recent "buff" to AP DBs & nerf to boost(for this CV),  has turned it into garbage. it is now substantially gimped compared to my other T8 premium CVs..  It really needs a new gimmick or some considerable work on its AP DBs.  

[TCNNA]
Members
952 posts
16,559 battles

Agree. GZ really need some love. She does 25% less damage of my Kaga or Saipan

[NUWES]
Members
2,408 posts
7,685 battles

Honestly I think they just need to fix GZ's bombers. Fix the DB reticule so it is elliptical which allows you to cut down on misses if you aim well and restore the old steeper dive. For the TBs I think they may need a tad more damage. Fix those two and I think she is fine. 

As for the alternate planes, there is pretty much zero chance they will give a second option for Me-109s and Ju-87s.  As  I recall the Me-155 is just an updated derivative of the 109 anyway. Also, the stukas are old and slow by T8 plane standards. The stuka was a prewar design and even the Germans were trying to replace it by the time of the Battle of Britain because its performance was so poor. It's dive bombing accuracy was incredible, but the speed was horrid and it did really poorly against well-defended targets.They've never confirmed it but I am almost positive that's why Wargaming didn't implement them. The carriers with older, slower planes (Enterprise and Kaga) all compensate for it by having large airgroups with fast replenishment because they historically had large airgroups. GZ had a very small planned airgroup for such a large carrier so that doesn't work either. Basically, to make it work as a T8 carrier something had to give. They either had to use the stuka name and come up with a mythical faster version (which would have made he community just as mad) or just use newer planes that were actually planned. I think if they had done it as a T6 carrier then the stukas would be fine. They wanted it on T8 and its airgroup was very small for a fleet carrier so they had to give it better planes. 

Also, when I say slow I mean VERY slow. I don't remember what Kaga is using, but Enterprise is using Helldivers and Avengers which are slower than the Corsairs and Destroyers that Lexington uses and they are still much faster than Stukas. Stukas simply can't survive against good T8 AA. They are too slow and have to spend too long in heavy AA. 

• Cool 1

[MIA-I]
Supertester
2,881 posts
5,482 battles

Rs1IPPF.png

It was tested, don't know the results but there's images out there of the Stuka with torps attached.  Personally?  I'd just be happy with a re-skin of what they have currently to go back to the JU-87 and 109.  Considering the time/speed/distance compression we have in game already, Stuka's flying far faster then they should have isn't a big deal (in my mind at least).  I do like the idea of fast straight line planes vs. slower nimble turners but I think it would be a nightmare to play with and would be heavily reliant on Match Making.  If you get unlucky and drop into a Tier X match with heavy AA now you lose a ton of planes.  If you have the slower planes which take longer to get out of the AA bubbles?  That won't be much fun for the Zeppelin player sadly. 

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
7,988 posts
9,101 battles
1 hour ago, vonKaiser said:

Rs1IPPF.png

It was tested, don't know the results but there's images out there of the Stuka with torps attached.  Personally?  I'd just be happy with a re-skin of what they have currently to go back to the JU-87 and 109.  Considering the time/speed/distance compression we have in game already, Stuka's flying far faster then they should have isn't a big deal (in my mind at least).  I do like the idea of fast straight line planes vs. slower nimble turners but I think it would be a nightmare to play with and would be heavily reliant on Match Making.  If you get unlucky and drop into a Tier X match with heavy AA now you lose a ton of planes.  If you have the slower planes which take longer to get out of the AA bubbles?  That won't be much fun for the Zeppelin player sadly. 

she is a premium after all, and the ta152Cs are tier 10 ready. This is not unheard of for tier 8s, look at Saipan. If/when German CV tech tree, a t8 tech tree German CV will doubtless have the Stukas and ME109s/ Then we will see complaints about Graf having tier 7 planes on a tier 8 CV (have we forgotten all the threads moaning about that in the RTS era?)