You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Herr_Reitz

You need English editors WoWS

22 comments in this topic

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,060 posts

shot-19_06.19_08_41.45-0794.thumb.jpg.f09b9091f75acb9172587d5a1d10e306.jpg

shot-19_06.19_08_41.45-0794.thumb.jpg.b2affa6ad18083f15723d64cba584fd3.jpg

I'm suggesting it because of how this reads... 

The actual pistol designed to not malfunction in freezing temperatures (later in the following paragraph) has a headline indicating it often malufunctioned in freezing temperatures. 

I know it's meaningless in the bigger scheme of things, but nonetheless, there we are. 

All the best. 

[FML]
Members
2,862 posts
12,773 battles
2 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

The actual pistol designed to not malfunction in freezing temperatures (later in the following paragraph) has a headline indicating it often malufunctioned in freezing temperatures. 

I know it's meaningless in the bigger scheme of things, but nonetheless, there we are. 

All the best. 

To be fair, many Americans need to be (re)educated in English as well...

I hesitate to complain until my Russian is better than their English.  

• Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[WAG]
Members
1,739 posts
10,103 battles
37 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

All the best. 

This is how it was 3 years ago when I joined up, and it has continued, despite regular posts like this and personal emails offering translation services. The answer is they do not have an issue with it, you do, so it is your problem, not theirs.  :)

Seriously, it shows a lack of understanding and concern and we would wish for better for them, but... they do not hear.

Edited by Elo_J_Fudpucker
SPELL CHECK
  • Cool 1

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
8,001 posts
9,104 battles

Errors are quite common, both in the in game client and on the web portal. I think NA wiki staff might do a useful job here, if they have the time/inclination. But it does depend on the sources, sometimes the English is excellent, other times atrocious - it is inconsistent. Compare historical articles on RN carriers versus historical articles on the evolution of warplanes on the web portal.

There is no guarantee it is a Russian language speaker writing / mistranslating, WG employs people from all over the world. But that is even more a reason for them to employ editors/proof readers, for all primary target languages (especially, English, French, German and Spanish) before anything is published/released.

[SOFOP]
Members
1,252 posts
8,814 battles

Nevermind.  Poor choice.  (I realize this was quoted below and I have to live with that unless he removes it, but this is what I can do.).

Edited by Old_Baldy_One

[WAG]
Members
1,739 posts
10,103 battles

oh ffs... stop attacking the poster... I haven't even had my coffee yet... but just for you I will go correct all my boogers...

[ARGSY]
Members
12,931 posts
8,245 battles
35 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

I agree. I know my Russian is limited to three or four words, and their English will always be better than my Russian, but this stuff needs to be looked at by someone whose FIRST language is English. Native grammar affects translation, and Russian's native grammar construction is significantly different.

[WAG]
Members
1,739 posts
10,103 battles
5 minutes ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

If you are going to jump in to the "grammar/spelling police"

Seriously.. I have dyslexia, and am an old man with arthritis... I use Columbus method for typing... .. and I am not a multinational corporation putting out marketing material for my business.

[WAG]
Members
1,739 posts
10,103 battles
8 minutes ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

*it

*translation

*Their

*lack

*wish better of them

*they don't listen.

If you are going to jump in to the "grammar/spelling police" waters, remember to come prepared.  As it is, it appears that a line of that paragraph got cut off.  Doesn't appear to be a translation issue as much as a copy/paste issue.

This... caustic attack posts... get a life... you know people like you drive off a lot of others... they don't dare post because anytime someone does, someone like you comes along and attacks them... and *I* am the one that will likely get a warning out of this exchange.... !! 

Edited by Elo_J_Fudpucker

[SOFOP]
Members
1,252 posts
8,814 battles

I apologize, I thought I was being funny and my bacon was getting overcooked.

Considering the fact that 95% of that collection item reads perfectly fine, and the sentence starts with a lower case, they obviously just missed a line when entering it in.  If anyone is to blame, it is probably the people that coded it and their QA department for missing it.  The missing line is likely something like "Historically, Russian pistols had...."

Acting like some Russian intern wrote this up, ran it through a translation service and then put it in without even 1 fluent English speaker looking at it, is absurd.

FYI I work for a large multinational company, and these types of mistakes happen more often than we would like.  You fix it and move on.

Edited by Old_Baldy_One

[WAG]
Members
1,739 posts
10,103 battles
21 minutes ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

You fix it and move on.

The complaints come from this situation happening over and over, despite the attempts of the user base to point out that they need to look into it and take steps to make sure the information they are distributing makes sense int he language they are using. But it often appears that there is no one actually screening what they publish.  Yes it happens, ... it happens with me... but a company should not, especially after they have had it pointed out to them repeatedly over along time period. Thi isn't a one-time issue but a consistent issue. 

Beta Testers
3,224 posts
12,937 battles

about the only thing the description needs is a a couple of space lines between title and story, its how you read it and perceive it, as to whether it makes sense to you or it doesn't

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
4,895 posts
15,569 battles

Read this and you'll have a much bigger appreciation of language and culture...and life.  It is an unheralded gem.  A trove of linguistic history.

bable.jpg.545d509d37145e48d69c4b08d9282b31.jpg

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Members
1,603 posts
6,236 battles
3 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:

shot-19_06.19_08_41.45-0794.thumb.jpg.f09b9091f75acb9172587d5a1d10e306.jpg

shot-19_06.19_08_41.45-0794.thumb.jpg.b2affa6ad18083f15723d64cba584fd3.jpg

All the best. 

I think it’s proofreaders and translators.  

Members
23,232 posts
5,863 battles
3 hours ago, UltimateNewbie said:

I hesitate to complain until my Russian is better than their English.  

But are you writing passages for mass commercial consumption using Russian?

If it's on a personal level, I agree completely.

I always wondered why, back in the 8-bit console days, JRPG devs didn't solicit better grammar for English translations. I'm sure it wouldn't have been hard to find native English speakers that would proof the dialogue for a free copy of the game.

[187]
Members
1,609 posts
8,839 battles

While we are on the subject...please rename the American capt something other than Joe Blow or joe piscopo or whatever lame thing they have it named....dang name it Trump even...maybe name him "Merica"! lol

[-AGW-]
Members
847 posts
11,814 battles

It's not a language problem. It's a proofreading problem. We can all use an editor at times.

• Cool 1

[A-D-F]
Members
885 posts
7,008 battles

The user interface and the customer interface both needed coherence nearly a lustrum ago.

[HEROS]
Members
1,831 posts
6,013 battles

ALL WG messagink STRONK and Krystally Klear as iss, workink as intended. now, go playink with sheeps.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,060 posts
3 hours ago, NashW8 said:

It's not a language problem. It's a proofreading problem. We can all use an editor at times.

Lord don't I know it - I recall a certain math issue I posted not long ago... ouch! 

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,060 posts
6 hours ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

Nevermind.  Poor choice.  (I realize this was quoted below and I have to live with that unless he removes it, but this is what I can do.).

Well some of it was quoted below but no big deal. I know what it's like not having got that first full cup of coffee down the hatch and under the belt.