Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
tm63au

Pyotr Velikiy : Why Am I Looking At A Knockoff Of IJN Kongo

20 comments in this topic

[POP]
Members
2,773 posts
21,633 battles

Ok so before the inevitable salt and down votes fly in thick and fast I just finished my loot box event which gave me a VMF Pyotr Velikiy tier 5 Battleship, now the past I have just casually glanced through tech tree line of VMF BBs I watched the DEV blog on them but to tell you the truth didn't really pay that much attention as I felt I would not grind the line.

Anyway after getting this ship and having a closer look at it the first thing you notice is the gun configuration both main and secondary it shows a striking similarity to IJN Kongo so being the detective I like to be I went looking for this ship on line as these days the Internet will just about give you anything, you could Google the launch codes of the super powers nuclear arsenal ( joking ) however try looking up this ship and what you get is something totally different.

This is what I got from my Google search

Image result for pyotr velikiy  battleship

Image result for pyotr velikiy  battleship

So I re watched the DEV blog on Russian BB's and found out its based on some project number 707 so I Google that still no luck, man this must have been some top secret project because you can get all the dirt you want on celebrities these days so easy but a 1911 BB design on that not a chance.

But I digress I'm getting off subject to some degree anyway I looked at this ship and thought " this is a cheap knockoff of IJN Kongo " I'm not having a dig at WG but at the Russian naval architects, what these guys couldn't produce something original, something of Russian design.

Though I will say now even more about the one line statement that was on the news page but removed about when the DEV blog came out that and I quote " If These Ships Had Been Built They Would Have Been The Envy of The World " or something like that.

No would have happened had COPYRIGHT LAWS been enforced back then the IJN would have sued the A$$es off them had they found out what this design was like and that they copied there British designed ship, there would have been no war with Russia as they would have been bankrupt from copyright infringement. 

As for the ship in game had fun so far playing it in Coop, guns seem good not certain whether I'll play random in her time will tell. 

Well that's it I await the salt :Smile_teethhappy: 

Edited by tm63au
  • Funny 4

0 posts

I think the in game Pyotr Velikiy is a pure WG dev's wild imagination, probably designed while fondlingy examining a model of Kongo. I don't blame them for that, but it did annoy me when they had the gall to publish the terribly nationalist/irredentist statement, "If they had been built they would have been the cream of battleships" or something. Well they were designed, by our man George, and they were built, by the Japanses, as Kongo class, as you say.

But yeh, George Thurston would turn in his grave if he knew, that he had missed such a glorious sales opportunity.

edit : interesting news, they are substandard knockoffs as they forgot the bilge keels.

• Cool 1

[POP]
Members
1,566 posts
20,914 battles

I for one am glad they added it. I feel like it does a decent job at power creeping GC, which is an abomination in this game.

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[ADR]
Members
4,447 posts
15,465 battles

Like the kongo The Pyotr Velikiy is a POS,  so it's only fair for it to rip off and copy all aspects of the ship

[BUN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,534 posts
4,444 battles

Project 707 was birthed from a design competition that was spawned just at the end or right after WWI. The designer with the best/winning iteration was the same gentleman who helped design the Mackensen class (as he was German) and as you may tell, the Mackensen takes heavily from the Tiger/Kongou class battlecruisers. It's not a ripoff, in the sense the design was "stolen" 

This is more the occasion of a vocalist leaving the popular band they were in because they were tired of making the same music, and starting a new band that plays the same type of music the old one played anyway

[TOAST]
[TOAST]
Members
1,441 posts
10,195 battles
On 6/17/2019 at 5:32 AM, Alabamastan said:

I for one am glad they added it. I feel like it does a decent job at power creeping GC, which is an abomination in this game.

Lol no, it doesn't power creep GC at all. It only has one or two things going for it.

[UN1]
Members
1,063 posts
3,396 battles
On 6/17/2019 at 7:36 AM, tm63au said:

Ok so before the inevitable salt and down votes fly in thick and fast I just finished my loot box event which gave me a VMF Pyotr Velikiy tier 5 Battleship, now the past I have just casually glanced through tech tree line of VMF BBs I watched the DEV blog on them but to tell you the truth didn't really pay that much attention as I felt I would not grind the line.

Anyway after getting this ship and having a closer look at it the first thing you notice is the gun configuration both main and secondary it shows a striking similarity to IJN Kongo so being the detective I like to be I went looking for this ship on line as these days the Internet will just about give you anything, you could Google the launch codes of the super powers nuclear arsenal ( joking ) however try looking up this ship and what you get is something totally different.

So I re watched the DEV blog on Russian BB's and found out its based on some project number 707 so I Google that still no luck, man this must have been some top secret project because you can get all the dirt you want on celebrities these days so easy but a 1911 BB design on that not a chance.

But I digress I'm getting off subject to some degree anyway I looked at this ship and thought " this is a cheap knockoff of IJN Kongo " I'm not having a dig at WG but at the Russian naval architects, what these guys couldn't produce something original, something of Russian design.

Though I will say now even more about the one line statement that was on the news page but removed about when the DEV blog came out that and I quote " If These Ships Had Been Built They Would Have Been The Envy of The World " or something like that.

No would have happened had COPYRIGHT LAWS been enforced back then the IJN would have sued the A$$es off them had they found out what this design was like and that they copied there British designed ship, there would have been no war with Russia as they would have been bankrupt from copyright infringement. 

As for the ship in game had fun so far playing it in Coop, guns seem good not certain whether I'll play random in her time will tell. 

Well that's it I await the salt :Smile_teethhappy:

I know this is an old post, but there's not a lot going on here in the Russian BB forums, so I figured I'd chime in. 

The look is what I personally call the "Vickers look".  The British Vickers company built the first Kongo, but the HMS Tiger, Derfflinger battlecruisers, Mackensen battlecruisers, Ersatz York battlecruisers, and L20e-a class battleships all share this same "look".  It's almost like other nations saw the Kongo and said, "That looks good, let's copy that!"  Had Russia actually been serious about building capital ships during this time, it's entirely plausible that they would have built something that looked just like the in-game Pyotr Velikiy. 

I think it's the best ship in the Russian line imho.

• Cool 3

[POP]
Members
2,773 posts
21,633 battles
20 minutes ago, Ranari said:

I know this is an old post, but there's not a lot going on here in the Russian BB forums, so I figured I'd chime in. 

The look is what I personally call the "Vickers look".  The British Vickers company built the first Kongo, but the HMS Tiger, Derfflinger battlecruisers, Mackensen battlecruisers, Ersatz York battlecruisers, and L20e-a class battleships all share this same "look".  It's almost like other nations saw the Kongo and said, "That looks good, let's copy that!"  Had Russia actually been serious about building capital ships during this time, it's entirely plausible that they would have built something that looked just like the in-game Pyotr Velikiy. 

I think it's the best ship in the Russian line imho.

You more than likely right others have mentioned it as well, I have played Peter The Great ( English name to hard to spell at this time of night ) its actually not bad  though to be honest have only played a few random games in her and lot of Coop she is part of my second line ships where I play them on off days so to speak.

Speaking of Kongo this goes to show what a great ship the class was sadly to my shame she to is part of my second line ships, she has been power creeped to the point I just cant bring her out in to random that often.

God I remember the days charging in with Kongo and all hell would break loose now sadly you do that and you wind up being sent to the bottom in short order though a valiant death she deserves better she is a grand old ship.

cheers   

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
4,302 posts
6,266 battles
13 minutes ago, tm63au said:

You more than likely right others have mentioned it as well, I have played Peter The Great ( English name to hard to spell at this time of night ) its actually not bad  though to be honest have only played a few random games in her and lot of Coop she is part of my second line ships where I play them on off days so to speak.

Speaking of Kongo this goes to show what a great ship the class was sadly to my shame she to is part of my second line ships, she has been power creeped to the point I just cant bring her out in to random that often.

God I remember the days charging in with Kongo and all hell would break loose now sadly you do that and you wind up being sent to the bottom in short order though a valiant death she deserves better she is a grand old ship.

cheers  

Just call her "Peter the Leaky" or "Vodka Kongo", that's what I do and most people still know which ship I'm talking about. :Smile-_tongue: She's a great ship and my go-to for getting Russian battleship stars in Naval Battles (even managed a Kraken in her last week!), that combo of speed, agility, and firepower on the ULTIMATE BOWTANKING HULL is a force to be reckoned with.

That said, I can still get Kongo to perform too. Yeah she's been powercrept a little, and I do miss the days when I could reliably take her into a brawl (and accidentally run over a destroyer in the process), but she's still got range for DAYS which is a rare commodity at tier 5.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
2,552 posts

@tm63au I believe this is what you're looking for, battlecruiser project 707 by Blohm+Voss.

1536489963_blom-foss.png

Obviously since WG is obsessed with the USSR they completely neglected the historical 1911 design and came up with a fake Soviet refit instead.

• Cool 3

[POP]
Members
2,773 posts
21,633 battles
4 minutes ago, Landsraad said:

Just call her "Peter the Leaky" or "Vodka Kongo", that's what I do and most people still know which ship I'm talking about. :Smile-_tongue: She's a great ship and my go-to for getting Russian battleship stars in Naval Battles (even managed a Kraken in her last week!), that combo of speed, agility, and firepower on the ULTIMATE BOWTANKING HULL is a force to be reckoned with.

That said, I can still get Kongo to perform too. Yeah she's been powercrept a little, and I do miss the days when I could reliably take her into a brawl (and accidentally run over a destroyer in the process), but she's still got range for DAYS which is a rare commodity at tier 5.

Your right about the range for Kongo  also she is fast  love the speed on her and all things considered I pleasantly surprised with " Peter " contrary to my posts over the years here I am not that against the VMF as people might perceive, all I try do is keep WG honest as If they are going to listen to me :Smile_teethhappy:

[POP]
Members
2,773 posts
21,633 battles
8 minutes ago, Wolcott said:

@tm63au I believe this is what you're looking for, battlecruiser project 707 by Blohm+Voss.

1536489963_blom-foss.png

Obviously since WG is obsessed with the USSR they completely neglected the historical 1911 design and came up with a fake Soviet refit instead.

Good Sir you are a wealth of knowledge and information it is a mystery they don't have working in some advisory capacity the salt levels on this forum would be reduce so much.

As for this, 12 guns interesting, triple turrets just cant resist them.

Thank for the diagram sir, so how do we twist WG arm to build it but not go over board with the stats.

cheers   

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
2,552 posts
18 hours ago, tm63au said:

Good Sir you are a wealth of knowledge and information it is a mystery they don't have working in some advisory capacity the salt levels on this forum would be reduce so much.

As for this, 12 guns interesting, triple turrets just cant resist them.

Thank for the diagram sir, so how do we twist WG arm to build it but not go over board with the stats.

cheers   

Actually I found it on Reddit.

Afraid there's nothing we can do about it. Any complaints to WG will always fall on deaf ears. My main concerns lie with Gangut and Izmail anyway.

[POP]
Members
2,773 posts
21,633 battles
2 hours ago, Wolcott said:

Actually I found it on Reddit.

Afraid there's nothing we can do about it. Any complaints to WG will always fall on deaf ears. My main concerns lie with Gangut and Izmail anyway.

Still you did a better job than they did and they have more resources, there wiz kids and they still came up with a Kongo.

• Cool 1

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
4,302 posts
6,266 battles
1 minute ago, tm63au said:

Still you did a better job than they did and they have more resources, there wiz kids and they still came up with a Kongo.

A big part of that was probably balancing the line as a whole. With four triple turrets a Project 707 Peter the Leaky would go from being the strong tier 5 she is to definitely tier 6 material. Now I'm not sure where Imperatritsa Mariya would fall in tiering, but unless she got a fantasy upgrade (we all know how much people love THOSE) that would probably leave a gap in the line with no clear tier 5 to fill it.

[POP]
Members
2,773 posts
21,633 battles
20 minutes ago, Landsraad said:

Imperatritsa Mariya

This ship I would not have mind being a premium it actually existed I wrote a post some time back questioning why it was not the tier 3 ships and got soundly spoken to as to its possible OPness which is fine , but the fact that its real I feel is a better choice, look the whole Russian BB line is littered with let me just say rather  " impressive " cough cough ships  so a real ship wont make that much difference personally.

But back to Peter the leaky 707 switch the current 6 with a reduction to 5 and put peter (707 ) at 6  cant be worse than the current line up now  or could it :Smile_teethhappy:

I expect salt very soon for comments.

cheers

P.S. for clarification from the fanboys 

Edited by tm63au

Beta Testers
10,733 posts

The 'paper' Russian ships in the game have names so often taken from modern Russian warships, like the Pyotr Velikiy and the Udaloy.  

Google Udaloy and you get this.

Ucci7u2.jpg

This baby is one of the most awesome warships in the world.  She's alone for the moment, but her sister the Admiral Nakhimov is currently having a massive modernization refit.

Edited by Eisennagel
  • Cool 1

Alpha Tester
2,552 posts

3 hours ago, Landsraad said:

A big part of that was probably balancing the line as a whole. With four triple turrets a Project 707 Peter the Leaky would go from being the strong tier 5 she is to definitely tier 6 material. Now I'm not sure where Imperatritsa Mariya would fall in tiering, but unless she got a fantasy upgrade (we all know how much people love THOSE) that would probably leave a gap in the line with no clear tier 5 to fill it.

Please no. Imperatritsa Mariya is my beloved warship and if WG bastardizes her with a fake Soviet refit then I'd rather not see her in the game at all. Mariya and her sister ships never lived to see WW2, end of story. Refits, especially fake ones, only remind me of this.

maxresdefault.jpg

2 hours ago, Eisennagel said:

The 'paper' Russian ships in the game have names so often taken from modern Russian warships, like the Pyotr Velikiy and the Udaloy.  

It's very annoying when WG does that. Makes it a bit harder for us to find the ship's original design. I daresay it's historical revisionism. WG does not want us to remember the real Poltava, Slava or Borodino so they come up with paper ships with the same names.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
4,302 posts
6,266 battles
7 minutes ago, Wolcott said:

It's very annoying when WG does that. Makes it a bit harder for us to find the ship's original design. I daresay it's historical revisionism. WG does not want us to remember the real Poltava, Slava or Borodino so they come up with paper ships with the same names.

I can't help but feel sorry for the admins and community managers that have to mediate between our grievances and the often seemingly apathetic devs so much, doubly so since new content is being made and approved by people who aren't even on this CONTINENT.

It's like a much larger scale version of guests at the motel where I work yelling at me because their rooms didn't get cleaned, when I not only have no control over housekeeping but haven't so much as seen a housekeeper in THREE MONTHS because I'm on night shift. But I'm the guy at the desk so I have to play middle-man.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
2,552 posts
7 hours ago, Landsraad said:

I can't help but feel sorry for the admins and community managers that have to mediate between our grievances and the often seemingly apathetic devs so much, doubly so since new content is being made and approved by people who aren't even on this CONTINENT.

It's like a much larger scale version of guests at the motel where I work yelling at me because their rooms didn't get cleaned, when I not only have no control over housekeeping but haven't so much as seen a housekeeper in THREE MONTHS because I'm on night shift. But I'm the guy at the desk so I have to play middle-man.

Some of the devs do visit the forums but nothing good ever comes of it. I actually had a sort of shouting match with one of them on this thread. It was like talking to a wall.

Sign in to follow this