Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
tm63au

Pyotr Velikiy : Why Am I Looking At A Knockoff Of IJN Kongo

5 comments in this topic

[POP]
Members
1,623 posts
17,690 battles

Ok so before the inevitable salt and down votes fly in thick and fast I just finished my loot box event which gave me a VMF Pyotr Velikiy tier 5 Battleship, now the past I have just casually glanced through tech tree line of VMF BBs I watched the DEV blog on them but to tell you the truth didn't really pay that much attention as I felt I would not grind the line.

Anyway after getting this ship and having a closer look at it the first thing you notice is the gun configuration both main and secondary it shows a striking similarity to IJN Kongo so being the detective I like to be I went looking for this ship on line as these days the Internet will just about give you anything, you could Google the launch codes of the super powers nuclear arsenal ( joking ) however try looking up this ship and what you get is something totally different.

This is what I got from my Google search

Image result for pyotr velikiy  battleship

Image result for pyotr velikiy  battleship

So I re watched the DEV blog on Russian BB's and found out its based on some project number 707 so I Google that still no luck, man this must have been some top secret project because you can get all the dirt you want on celebrities these days so easy but a 1911 BB design on that not a chance.

But I digress I'm getting off subject to some degree anyway I looked at this ship and thought " this is a cheap knockoff of IJN Kongo " I'm not having a dig at WG but at the Russian naval architects, what these guys couldn't produce something original, something of Russian design.

Though I will say now even more about the one line statement that was on the news page but removed about when the DEV blog came out that and I quote " If These Ships Had Been Built They Would Have Been The Envy of The World " or something like that.

No would have happened had COPYRIGHT LAWS been enforced back then the IJN would have sued the A$$es off them had they found out what this design was like and that they copied there British designed ship, there would have been no war with Russia as they would have been bankrupt from copyright infringement. 

As for the ship in game had fun so far playing it in Coop, guns seem good not certain whether I'll play random in her time will tell. 

Well that's it I await the salt :Smile_teethhappy: 

Edited by tm63au
  • Funny 2

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
7,082 posts
8,357 battles

I think the in game Pyotr Velikiy is a pure WG dev's wild imagination, probably designed while fondlingy examining a model of Kongo. I don't blame them for that, but it did annoy me when they had the gall to publish the terribly nationalist/irredentist statement, "If they had been built they would have been the cream of battleships" or something. Well they were designed, by our man George, and they were built, by the Japanses, as Kongo class, as you say.

But yeh, George Thurston would turn in his grave if he knew, that he had missed such a glorious sales opportunity.

edit : interesting news, they are substandard knockoffs as they forgot the bilge keels.

• Cool 1

[POP]
Members
1,306 posts
15,753 battles

I for one am glad they added it. I feel like it does a decent job at power creeping GC, which is an abomination in this game.

• Cool 1

[ADR]
Members
4,420 posts
15,174 battles

Like the kongo The Pyotr Velikiy is a POS,  so it's only fair for it to rip off and copy all aspects of the ship

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,521 posts
4,250 battles

Project 707 was birthed from a design competition that was spawned just at the end or right after WWI. The designer with the best/winning iteration was the same gentleman who helped design the Mackensen class (as he was German) and as you may tell, the Mackensen takes heavily from the Tiger/Kongou class battlecruisers. It's not a ripoff, in the sense the design was "stolen" 

This is more the occasion of a vocalist leaving the popular band they were in because they were tired of making the same music, and starting a new band that plays the same type of music the old one played anyway

Sign in to follow this