You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Lord_Zath

[CLOSED] CONTEST - WIN A PREMIUM SHIP!!! Last chance!!!

172 comments in this topic

[-K-]
SuperTest Coordinator, Alpha Tester, WoWS Community Contributors, Wiki Editor
6,387 posts
25,906 battles

Time for another contest.  This contest is in the spirit of the new recruitment program found here:

So...  here's what you have to do:

1.  Share a story of bringing a friend into World of Warships (or a friend bringing you in).  Did you play other games with them?  Was it a real life friend?  How hard was it to teach them the ropes?  What's one of your favorite experiences you've had with your friend playing World of Warships?  Be sure to tag them in your entry so they can have a chance to win, too!

2.  Pick a number between 1 and 100.  Winners are chosen by choosing the *closest* number to the number my mother just chose.  IF there's a tie, the tiebreaker goes to the most complete entry/best story.  So make sure you do a nice writeup!

This contest will remain open until I have had 100 entries OR by 12:00 CST on June 22nd. I'll announce the winner as part of my usually scheduled stream.

WINNERS:

One winner will win the grand prize - a premium ship of their choice found in the recruitment containers.

Spoiler

image.png.08ca049ef6ca5d914fbeb3d2c160e2d3.png

10 winners will win a HUGE recruitment container.

10 winners will win a Large recruitment container.

10 winners will win a small recruitment container.

What ships can you win?  Watch my video to see ^.  31 total prizes to give out.  Pretty good prize ratio!

Good luck everyone!

Entries as of 6/22/2019:

Spoiler
100 _Griefer
95 mrfluffypig
92 Staticeagle3
90 gregoire_bo
88 vader_sama
87 vladeshi
85 HP_lovesauce
84 A_Weeb
83 johnnyjr100
81 darkeagle07
chien_lu_anderman
79 mactub
captain_benevolent_fair
76 AoSApocalypse
74 JimKirk1
mommasheep1738
72 TheLastSterling
71 monpetitloup
69 zarroc01
67 henrymchenry
65 huaxuelaok
62 kingoftheblind
61 Counter_Gambit
59 pred21
ursexymom (usssnipersquad)
55 Senkan_Nagato
54 Ducky_Shot
Yamato_best_bote
52 Harley_Quinn1
50 Malarkey
49 0NutsNBolts0
chubbycvegambierbaaayyyy
45 Leon_Rios
44 derkaiserliche
Battleship_Repulse
Lords_of_edgelords
CenturioRomanus
38 Enderland07
37 Night_Sage
36 destawaits
35 West_Sonics
32 sakebreath
30 desmo_2
28 Livnick
27 biskitznwaffles
cpt_jm_nascimiento
bottlenosedolphin
21 zennobaka
19 Ghoststar
17 perpender
14 kurstein
13 cpt_cupcake
11 Kaligula_Varyag
7 Zproxy
6 groomsiebelle
5 Lightninger
3 cheeezzy
Edited by Lord_Zath
  • Cool 4

[REM]
Volunteer Moderator, Supertester, Privateers
1,606 posts
26,676 battles

hey @Lord_Zath 

can it be inverse?
a friend who invited me to play WoWs

Members
120 posts
3,552 battles

Well I didn't get a friend. I got my dad instead. It was pretty hard teaching him since it was his first video game that wasn't at an arcade. But I think he's got it now. Took me about a month. My favorite experience with him was the introduction to Kawachi dispersion, or as I call it, semi-realistic dispersion. I guess im going to go with 73. We do respond here right?

@jemoore98

[-K-]
6,387 posts
25,906 battles
3 minutes ago, zproxy said:

hey @Lord_Zath 

can it be inverse?
a friend who invited me to play WoWs

Sure.  Share your experience then!  I'll edit the contest to reflect this.

[-K-]
6,387 posts
25,906 battles
2 minutes ago, MommaSheep1738 said:

Well I didn't get a friend. I got my dad instead. It was pretty hard teaching him since it was his first video game that wasn't at an arcade. But I think he's got it now. Took me about a month. My favorite experience with him was the introduction to Kawachi dispersion, or as I call it, semi-realistic dispersion. I guess im going to go with 73. We do respond here right?

@jemoore98

That's good!  LOL how'd your dad like the Kawachi?  Guessing not at all?  :)

Members
120 posts
3,552 battles
Just now, Lord_Zath said:

That's good!  LOL how'd your dad like the Kawachi?  Guessing not at all?  :)

Spot on :) I helped him along and got him to the Myogi as fast as I could. He wasn't too pleased with the turret layout there.

[-K-]
6,387 posts
25,906 battles
5 minutes ago, MommaSheep1738 said:

Spot on :) I helped him along and got him to the Myogi as fast as I could. He wasn't too pleased with the turret layout there.

Yeah the IJN BB line is 100% troll until you reach Fuso.  Then....  everything clicks (at least I did for me).  Then Nagato says hi and suddenly you can't hit crap again.  

[SFBBW]
Members
159 posts
12,529 battles

when the game first released, the first person i invited was my brother, yes yes i know you said friend but i also consider him that too.

not much to story about we both enjoy WW2 ships, the game is great when you have someone to battle with and coordinate attacks with makes cross torping easier and fun, also help knock out target much better when focused and using the right match up of ships for the best support. winning or losing the game is great with a friend. the play styles of each ship or different which is great. the ships are sexy.best expiriance was ridding in with my buddies torps slowing down and turning and firing more torps at the enemy good times.Thanks for all the great battles @terral

as for a number to pick 32

[AFK]
Members
419 posts
5,060 battles

My friend invited me to play this game, but we both did not know there were invite codes so we didn't get anything from it and to this day, we still cry over that missed Warspite :fish_nerv:

Other than that, it was really fun because we both were really new so we kinda learned together, and the funniest thing was when I accidentally torpedoed him because we didn't think there was friendly fire, and that was one hard learned lesson! :Smile_teethhappy:

@PlantedChaos

I shall pick lucky number 3!

Edited by Cheeezzy
Forgot to tag my friend ;-;

[-K-]
6,387 posts
25,906 battles
2 minutes ago, SakeBreath said:

when the game first released, the first person i invited was my brother, yes yes i know you said friend but i also consider him that too.

not much to story about we both enjoy WW2 ships, the game is great when you have someone to battle with and coordinate attacks with makes cross torping easier and fun, also help knock out target much better when focused and using the right match up of ships for the best support. winning or losing the game is great with a friend. the play styles of each ship or different which is great. the ships are sexy.best expiriance was ridding in with my buddies torps slowing down and turning and firing more torps at the enemy good times.Thanks for all the great battles @terral

as for a number to pick 32

Family is fine!  Sounds like you've had some fun playing DD!

2 minutes ago, Cheeezzy said:

My friend invited me to play this game, but we both did not know there were invite codes so we didn't get anything from it and to this day, we still cry over that missed Warspite :fish_nerv:

Other than that, it was really fun because we both were really new so we kinda learned together, and the funniest thing was when I accidentally torpedoed him because we didn't think there was friendly fire, and that was one hard learned lesson! :Smile_teethhappy:

There was also a time where we were heckbent on ramming BBs in DDs,but not after we launched our  entire torps on them. Yeah, this game is so much more fun with friends!

I shall pick lucky number 3!

Yeah I know that feeling of missed rewards...  Oh well!  LOL at the TK.  

Both responses recorded thanks!

[AFK]
Members
419 posts
5,060 battles
Just now, Lord_Zath said:

Family is fine!  Sounds like you've had some fun playing DD!

Yeah I know that feeling of missed rewards...  Oh well!  LOL at the TK.  

Both responses recorded thanks!

Sweet! Thanks again for doing this for the community!

[RST]
Members
569 posts
12,308 battles

I came into the wargaming realm courtesy of my son, @LilBlueAardvark.  He started me with World of Tanks / World of Tanks Blitz and I dabbled wit that, but my personal interest is ships.  So, I eagerly awaited the start of open Beta (I was too late for closed Beta short of buying a premium, and at that time I could never imagine paying that much for virtual goods) to try out the ships.  Once I started playing World of Warships my son then jumped over into that as well so we both play (although he isn't a focused on one game at a time as I).  I like to watch him play and try to help as another set of eyes, but the truth is he doesn't like people watching when he plays so sometimes I have to do it quietly from the doorway and hope he doesn't notice. 

My favorite memory was actually relating to a scout merit badge and he had to report on a movie of his choosing; the counselor had a pre-approved "suggested" list but he had something else in mind.  He felt he could convince the counselor and so we made a bet.  Well, I lost the bet and so I paid up...buy buying him a Haida that he had his eye on.  I know he really enjoys that ship.  He also has a great eye for detail and so he was the one who pointed out the koala bear on another of his favorite ships (a detail on Perth I had never picked up on).  We do spend time comparing ships and the game, so it gives us some common stuff that is fun for us to discuss.

As for a number, I'll go with 6.

Thank you zath!!

[-K-]
6,387 posts
25,906 battles
6 minutes ago, groomsiebelle said:

I came into the wargaming realm courtesy of my son, @LilBlueAardvark.  He started me with World of Tanks / World of Tanks Blitz and I dabbled wit that, but my personal interest is ships.  So, I eagerly awaited the start of open Beta (I was too late for closed Beta short of buying a premium, and at that time I could never imagine paying that much for virtual goods) to try out the ships.  Once I started playing World of Warships my son then jumped over into that as well so we both play (although he isn't a focused on one game at a time as I).  I like to watch him play and try to help as another set of eyes, but the truth is he doesn't like people watching when he plays so sometimes I have to do it quietly from the doorway and hope he doesn't notice. 

My favorite memory was actually relating to a scout merit badge and he had to report on a movie of his choosing; the counselor had a pre-approved "suggested" list but he had something else in mind.  He felt he could convince the counselor and so we made a bet.  Well, I lost the bet and so I paid up...buy buying him a Haida that he had his eye on.  I know he really enjoys that ship.  He also has a great eye for detail and so he was the one who pointed out the koala bear on another of his favorite ships (a detail on Perth I had never picked up on).  We do spend time comparing ships and the game, so it gives us some common stuff that is fun for us to discuss.

As for a number, I'll go with 6.

Thank you zath!!

Great story!  Thanks for sharing :)

Members
7,307 posts
3,304 battles

This post is inherently discriminatory to those who cannot recruit. I demand Zath personally apologize or I will have to organize a sit-in!

(jk, jk, I'll spread the word).

[THREE]
Members
2,151 posts
11,039 battles

I've brought in @scozean, @OEF1314, @S0berGinger in to the game, RL friends just starting out.

Teaching them about angling and WASD was the funniest thing, they were catching torps like poke'mon. Had to teach them which ammo to use and when. 

I pick the luckiest number... 13.

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
4,432 posts
17,387 battles
On 6/14/2019 at 11:46 AM, Lord_Zath said:

Time for another contest.  This contest is in the spirit of the new recruitment program found here:

So...  here's what you have to do:

1.  Share a story of bringing a friend into World of Warships (or a friend bringing you in).  Did you play other games with them?  Was it a real life friend?  How hard was it to teach them the ropes?  What's one of your favorite experiences you've had with your friend playing World of Warships?  Be sure to tag them in your entry so they can have a chance to win, too!

2.  Pick a number between 1 and 100.  Winners are chosen by choosing the *closest* number to the number my mother just chose.  IF there's a tie, the tiebreaker goes to the most complete entry/best story.  So make sure you do a nice writeup!

This contest will remain open until I have had 100 entries OR by 12:00 CST on June 22nd. I'll announce the winner as part of my usually scheduled stream.

WINNERS:

One winner will win the grand prize - a premium ship of their choice found in the recruitment containers.

10 winners will win a HUGE recruitment container.

10 winners will win a Large recruitment container.

10 winners will win a small recruitment container.

What ships can you win?  Watch my video to see ^.  31 total prizes to give out.  Pretty good prize ratio!

Good luck everyone!

:Smile_great:A  friend @ttts1  brought I and my landlord in October,17,2017  I now have  almost ninety ships ten of them tier ten and ten 19 point commanders  and  six  that are close to 19 points,After six months we formed our clan which is an affiliate of the oldest online gaming community extent https://www.theamazonbasin.com/  ,And  for  some reason as far as I know I am the only one in the clan to visit the Forums or post here:Smile_ohmy:  We used to play Diablo III  and before that Diablo II  together  Edit I guess I'll go with #22 as my pick

Edited by shadowsrmine
  • Cool 1

[SCCC]
Members
110 posts
6,711 battles
11 hours ago, Lord_Zath said:

It was not a normal night, I knew that much. The sky was dark, and the world deathly silent, waiting for me to make a move. As I sat there near my desk, little did I know what magnitude of responsibility had been bestowed upon me. It could have, of course, been boredom that caused the thoughts to appear in my head. However, I certainly knew it was time to invite someone to play the game I had recently started : World of Warships. How did I know it was time? As I said, the gods of Wargaming spoke to me in the form of rewards for invited players. "How to go about this?", I asked myself. Oh, what a question this was. The issue with the game is the fact that it has such a niche market, not enjoyed by a large majority of people. Soon, however, I concluded that it would be best to use the most subtle method possible to get the attention of my friend. This would insure them a quick and swift entry into the game and the maximum amount of rewards for myself. What was the plan?

The plan was, of course, to spam them countless times with invite links and pray that they did not think it was a KL. I quickly carried out the steps necessary to execute my plan, and everything fell into place. They found the link, created an account, and asked me what to do. The perfect opportunity to convert them into rewards from the inviter program. All of the rewards would be mine!.. Or so I thought. In reality, it was much more tragic. Little did I know, my friend had signed up normally, and neglected to use the invite link I so graciously gave them. 

The rewards were lost. I was heartbroken. The premium time! The coal! Whatever else was available! All of it was lost! I was upset at my friend. To demonstrate this, I promptly joined a co-op round with him and swiftly sent a barrage of torpedoes into the side of his BB before quickly exiting the round. Never taught them anything. I never heard from them again. Their name shall remain lost to the ages.

This story is about 80% true with added details to make an extremely short concept seem longer :)). as it might be apparent, this is a story and not just purely my response, so yeah. I don't have too many experiences inviting others, hope this is close enough.

As for my number, 27 is literally the first thing that came to my mind

[-K-]
6,387 posts
25,906 battles
14 hours ago, Cpt_Cupcake said:

I've brought in @scozean, @OEF1314, @S0berGinger in to the game, RL friends just starting out.

Teaching them about angling and WASD was the funniest thing, they were catching torps like poke'mon. Had to teach them which ammo to use and when. 

I pick the luckiest number... 13.

LOL gotta catch'em all!

13 hours ago, shadowsrmine said:

:Smile_great:A  friend @ttts1  brought I and my landlord in October,17,2017  I now have  almost ninety ships ten of them tier ten and ten 19 point commanders  and  six  that are close to 19 points,After six months we formed our clan which is an affiliate of the oldest online gaming community extent https://www.theamazonbasin.com/  ,And  for  some reason as far as I know I am the only one in the clan to visit the Forums or post here:Smile_ohmy:  We used to play Diablo III  and before that Diablo II  together

Need a number, sir :).

12 hours ago, BiskitsNWaffles said:

It was not a normal night, I knew that much. The sky was dark, and the world deathly silent, waiting for me to make a move. As I sat there near my desk, little did I know what magnitude of responsibility had been bestowed upon me. It could have, of course, been boredom that caused the thoughts to appear in my head. However, I certainly knew it was time to invite someone to play the game I had recently started : World of Warships. How did I know it was time? As I said, the gods of Wargaming spoke to me in the form of rewards for invited players. "How to go about this?", I asked myself. Oh, what a question this was. The issue with the game is the fact that it has such a niche market, not enjoyed by a large majority of people. Soon, however, I concluded that it would be best to use the most subtle method possible to get the attention of my friend. This would insure them a quick and swift entry into the game and the maximum amount of rewards for myself. What was the plan?

The plan was, of course, to spam them countless times with invite links and pray that they did not think it was a KL. I quickly carried out the steps necessary to execute my plan, and everything fell into place. They found the link, created an account, and asked me what to do. The perfect opportunity to convert them into rewards from the inviter program. All of the rewards would be mine!.. Or so I thought. In reality, it was much more tragic. Little did I know, my friend had signed up normally, and neglected to use the invite link I so graciously gave them. 

The rewards were lost. I was heartbroken. The premium time! The coal! Whatever else was available! All of it was lost! I was upset at my friend. To demonstrate this, I promptly joined a co-op round with him and swiftly sent a barrage of torpedoes into the side of his BB before quickly exiting the round. Never taught them anything. I never heard from them again. Their name shall remain lost to the ages.

This story is about 80% true with added details to make an extremely short concept seem longer :)). as it might be apparent, this is a story and not just purely my response, so yeah. I don't have too many experiences inviting others, hope this is close enough.

As for my number, 27 is literally the first thing that came to my mind

L

O

L

Members
3,879 posts
15,572 battles

I had invited a real life friend into warships as he was bored and wanted more games to play together (we played Minecraft together usually). He wanted a USS Texas so he used my invite to get the Diane first then he saw the Blyskawica was Polish. He is half polish so he got the Blyska. Didn't like it but he said he didn't regret getting the ship. Then the US CL change was announced and he was at the Omaha and had over 100k free xp. I told him to get the Cleveland so he could have a Tier 8 ship after the change so he got Cleveland. Played it for a bit in Ops and had fun. Sadly he stopped a couple days after the change to US CL happened. I'm going to pick the number...47

[REM]
Volunteer Moderator, Supertester, Privateers
1,606 posts
26,676 battles

How do I enter the game:

Well I played other Steam games with several friends. One of them @jefegorgory is retired sailor in real life and was always looking for games of boats or Submarines, when the WoWs came out he started to play it and every day he asked us when we had to install?:cap_horn:. I did not want to download 20G. or something like that. But he convinced everyone in the grup to enter and try it (after much insistence). I liked it so much that:cap_like: now I play it more than the friend who invited me :Smile_child:

Anecdote:
We always play talking on TeamSpeak (currently on discorb). During one battle in division Tier V, we are all in a fierce battle at close range within a Base so a DD. launches torpedoes towards us and somehow me and another friend manage to hide them some I receive a torpedo but I manage to survive, suddenly more torpedoes approach from the rear... wth ???
the jefegorgory shot torpedoes and destroyed us the 2 friends of divison ahahahahah :Smile_veryhappy:
He was screaming desperately but he had the mic muted :cap_old: so no one heard his torpedo warning:Smile_facepalm:

since then when we are in division we forbid him to play with boats that has torpedoes.

Good luck to you all - and remember when a torpedo touches the water has no allies

[-K-]
6,387 posts
25,906 battles
2 hours ago, ChubbyCVEGambierBaaayyyy said:

I had invited a real life friend into warships as he was bored and wanted more games to play together (we played Minecraft together usually). He wanted a USS Texas so he used my invite to get the Diane first then he saw the Blyskawica was Polish. He is half polish so he got the Blyska. Didn't like it but he said he didn't regret getting the ship. Then the US CL change was announced and he was at the Omaha and had over 100k free xp. I told him to get the Cleveland so he could have a Tier 8 ship after the change so he got Cleveland. Played it for a bit in Ops and had fun. Sadly he stopped a couple days after the change to US CL happened. I'm going to pick the number...47

Sorry to hear he's gone but you gave sound advice!

15 minutes ago, zproxy said:

How do I enter the game:

Well I played other Steam games with several friends. One of them @jefegorgory is retired sailor in real life and was always looking for games of boats or Submarines, when the WoWs came out he started to play it and every day he asked us when we had to install?:cap_horn:. I did not want to download 20G. or something like that. But he convinced everyone in the grup to enter and try it (after much insistence). I liked it so much that:cap_like: now I play it more than the friend who invited me :Smile_child:

Anecdote:
We always play talking on TeamSpeak (currently on discorb). During one battle in division Tier V, we are all in a fierce battle at close range within a Base so a DD. launches torpedoes towards us and somehow me and another friend manage to hide them some I receive a torpedo but I manage to survive, suddenly more torpedoes approach from the rear... wth ???
the jefegorgory shot torpedoes and destroyed us the 2 friends of divison ahahahahah :Smile_veryhappy:
He was screaming desperately but he had the mic muted :cap_old: so no one heard his torpedo warning:Smile_facepalm:

since then when we are in division we forbid him to play with boats that has torpedoes.

Good luck to you all - and remember when a torpedo touches the water has no allies

So many teamkill stories...  love'em!  You didn't pick a number, though....

• Funny 1

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,191 posts
12,721 battles

I invited a friend from the town I live in ; @help_me92  . He already was a WoT player ( I got him into that also but not with an invite) and as a bunch of my old WoT clan were getting into WoWs I invited him so we could both get the benefits . Unfortunately since then his computer died and he has been lost to gaming for an affair of the heart and does not even live in the same town any more ( I have seen him twice so far this year and we hardly ever even talk ) . :Smile_sad:  

I will pick number 80 . 

:Smile_honoring:

[PVE]
Members
175 posts
3,124 battles

After bugging him about it for months I finally dragged my brother @Olos290 into the game. We used to play WOT back in the day and found that being in a division/platoon was always more fun. Unfortunately we did not know about invite codes.

His first couple of games went about as expected dodge the torps, not ram them. It also took a little while for him to get how to properly use AP, then he decided to go KMS and AP became his schtick.

It turns out that he loves how CV's play post-rework(given his love of RTS I think he would be ticked if he played the pre-rework first so maybe the delay in getting him to play was a good thing)

Our favorite thing to do is probably our "wolf pack" where we both grab DD's and both just focus a flank/cap till everything there is dead. Making the reds play targeting ping-pong as we alternate who is hiding and who is firing is just silly fun(Also who says cross-drops don't exist anymore?)

I am going to go with 87 for my number.

[-K-]
6,387 posts
25,906 battles
2 hours ago, Chien_Lu_Anderman said:

I invited a friend from the town I live in ; @help_me92  . He already was a WoT player ( I got him into that also but not with an invite) and as a bunch of my old WoT clan were getting into WoWs I invited him so we could both get the benefits . Unfortunately since then his computer died and he has been lost to gaming for an affair of the heart and does not even live in the same town any more ( I have seen him twice so far this year and we hardly ever even talk ) . :Smile_sad:  

I will pick number 80 . 

:Smile_honoring:

Sorry to hear :(

2 hours ago, Vladeshi said:

After bugging him about it for months I finally dragged my brother @Olos290 into the game. We used to play WOT back in the day and found that being in a division/platoon was always more fun. Unfortunately we did not know about invite codes.

His first couple of games went about as expected dodge the torps, not ram them. It also took a little while for him to get how to properly use AP, then he decided to go KMS and AP became his schtick.

It turns out that he loves how CV's play post-rework(given his love of RTS I think he would be ticked if he played the pre-rework first so maybe the delay in getting him to play was a good thing)

Our favorite thing to do is probably our "wolf pack" where we both grab DD's and both just focus a flank/cap till everything there is dead. Making the reds play targeting ping-pong as we alternate who is hiding and who is firing is just silly fun(Also who says cross-drops don't exist anymore?)

I am going to go with 87 for my number.

Great story!

[SOAR]
Members
317 posts
5,146 battles

I have no friends, so I invited myself.

I quite liked the game, so I stuck around and enjoyed it.

Sometimes, I blame myself when I suck, or I high five myself when I do a boss job.

True story.