You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Chobittsu

PSA: There is an actual ammunition limit!!!

63 comments in this topic

[SOUP]
Modder
8,813 posts

Now... you're likely NEVER going to expend this many shells, but there is indeed a cap on how many shells you have.
In a training room, without capping or gunning for kills, I wanted to try and beat my previous shell it count (previously held by my Republique's secondary battery with over 4600 hits) and figured "Hey, this Colbert seems like a nice meme!
So I started firing at the front of some Kremlins........ and about half an hour later, my guns stopped. I was confused, my ammo was selected, the trigger was working just fine, so I swapped to HE, fired a couple times... okay no problem there, then switched back to AP.... nothing.       I continued with HE (eventually burning all the targets I fired on and ending the test 10 minutes early) and when I checked the post-battle stats... I was met with this:
unknown.png

There it is, folks! Right there in black and white; the myth of unlimited ammo solved!   The only caveat is that to reach it you have to have a ship with absurd fire rate and shoot for nearly an hour to reach it.

[UPDATE]: I ran the test again, just blasting shells out into the water and not worring about hitting anything:
unknown.png

Once everything was expended, I'd hit the fire button, double-tap, etc.   It would play the special audio from my mod that plays for salvo fire, but nothing would happen

• Cool 24
  • Funny 19
  • Boring 1

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,701 posts
11 minutes ago, Chobittsu said:

Now... you're likely NEVER going to expend this many shells, but there is indeed a cap on how many shells you have.
In a training room, without capping or gunning for kills, I wanted to try and beat my previous shell it count (previously held by my Republique's secondary battery with over 4600 hits) and figured "Hey, this Colbert seems like a nice meme!
So I started firing at the front of some Kremlins........ and about half an hour later, my guns stopped. I was confused, my ammo was selected, the trigger was working just fine, so I swapped to HE, fired a couple times... okay no problem there, then switched back to AP.... nothing.       I continued with HE (eventually burning all the targets I fired on and ending the test 10 minutes early) and when I checked the post-battle stats... I was met with this:
unknown.png

There it is, folks! Right there in black and white; the myth of unlimited ammo solved!   The only caveat is that to reach it you have to have a ship with absurd fire rate and shoot for nearly an hour to reach it.

I think maybe you need some more ways to fill your time.  LOL

Theoretically, the limit should really be around 100 rounds x the number of guns in the main battery.  That's about what it was historically.

• Boring 1

[SOUP]
Modder
8,813 posts
Just now, TheDreadnought said:

That's about what it was historically.

For the Colbert it was 300 rounds per gun, so 4800 total

[WOLFG]
Members
10,660 posts
9,886 battles
8 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

Next up, is there a torpedo limit? :cap_haloween:

Were gonna need a Derzki.

• Funny 1

[UEFN]
Members
1,347 posts
23,738 battles

this is unacceptable, only 10K AP rounds? it's not nearly enough for our BB, please buff asap....BB need minimum of 50K rounds, oh wait...they only fire once up to 12 rounds every 20~35s and the longest random match goes for only 20min. nevermind, even a high DPM BB would only be firing close to 500 rounds so yea....

Members
1,697 posts
8,726 battles
47 minutes ago, Chobittsu said:

unknown.png

I take it they won't be giving Colbert the standard french main battery reload booster then.

[ARGSY]
Members
21,663 posts
15,713 battles
2 minutes ago, Wows_Nightly_News said:

I take it they won't be giving Colbert the standard french main battery reload booster then.

:Smile_trollface:

Colbert is one gigantic MBRB stuffed into a hull with some guns plonked on top of it.

Alpha Tester
4,296 posts
6,949 battles

5 turrets x 1000 = 5000, times 2 ammo types, 10000 rounds. All guns have a default ammo value of 1000 HE/AP per mount.

[GGWP]
Members
7,138 posts
16,402 battles
33 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Were gonna need a Derzki.

Derzki at 99% damage with AR and Tae will only fire about 2600 torpedoes in an hour

[SSBN]
Members
165 posts
6,410 battles

pffffft typical damage farmer

/s

What exactly makes someone try this and better yet, what the hell does that person tell his clan/friends to get them to join you in training to try this?:Smile_teethhappy:

• Boring 1

[KIA-C]
Members
2,306 posts
14,701 battles

Hmmm. 8x2 guns for 16 total, 10k shells or 625 shells per gun. The historical ammo storage per gun on Colbert was 300 rounds per gun. Given the total would be around 20k shells (both ammo types), this would mean in game the total number of shells per gun is about 1250, or 416.7% more than real life.

[SOUP]
Modder
8,813 posts
1 hour ago, MajesticTwelve said:

What happens if you run out?

For science, you need to try and let us know.

unknown.png

What happened was I was left with nothing to do for about 5 minutes

31 minutes ago, Aetreus said:

5 turrets x 1000 = 5000, times 2 ammo types, 10000 rounds. All guns have a default ammo value of 1000 HE/AP per mount.

....what? No.  It's FAR more likely that every ship in the game just has a pool of ammo so high that nobody would be able to fire all their shells during a battle, thus giving us "unlimited" ammo.
They just didn't count on some nut taking a Colbert out into an hour-long battle and holding the trigger the whole time

• Funny 1

[NWNG]
Members
3,072 posts
4,925 battles
1 hour ago, TheDreadnought said:

I think maybe you need some more ways to fill your time.  LOL

Theoretically, the limit should really be around 100 rounds x the number of guns in the main battery.  That's about what it was historically.

French Destroyers carried 500 rounds per gun... so too did American Destroyers... And Destroyers have the least room for ammunition, so Cruisers and Battleships, being larger, and thus having more room for ammo storage, would most certainly carry more ammunition.

One must also remember, that in this game, these ships are firing more often than they would in real life too.

[PENND]
Members
355 posts
7,807 battles
23 minutes ago, Counter_Gambit said:

One must also remember, that in this game, these ships are firing more often than they would in real life too.

Only if you have something to increase reload rate. Iowa could fire, have her guns reloaded and be ready to fire again in as little as 30 seconds. Most of the really ships in the game have reloads that mirror their real life counterparts. Many other aspects are similar such as speed, turret rotation and rudder shift. During range is the only thing that will never be matched as most would be able to fire way past the edges of the map.

Members
7,307 posts
3,304 battles
13 minutes ago, SYST3M_OVERIDE said:

Only if you have something to increase reload rate. Iowa could fire, have her guns reloaded and be ready to fire again in as little as 30 seconds. Most of the really ships in the game have reloads that mirror their real life counterparts. Many other aspects are similar such as speed, turret rotation and rudder shift. During range is the only thing that will never be matched as most would be able to fire way past the edges of the map.

You have to consider that we travel like 200kph and are the size of skyscrapers because of map and time compression. Ships are able to "bounce" shells off their bow and have the accuracy that even modern artillery wish they had. Some ships do not even have their historical load outs. Also, some ships are actually useful unlike their real-life counterparts such as battleships. 

[GREIF]
Members
253 posts
4,646 battles

perhaps early in the Design WG had considered an ammunition limit ala WoT...or perhaps default BigWorlds puts a ammo limit on stuff.  10000 is just a place holder since folks dont usually fire off 10000 rounds in a match.  

[P-V-E]
Members
1,525 posts

assuming 10,000 is the hard limit for main gun shells per type

then it would take a BB with 9 main guns and a 30sec reload ~9.26 hours to fire all 10,000 of one shell type, and another ~9.26 hours to fire the second shell type

maths: 10,000 / 9 guns * 30sec / 3600sec = ~9.26h * number of shell types

[-KAK-]
Members
607 posts
11,778 battles
1 minute ago, 10T0nHammer said:

You have to consider that we travel like 200kph and are the size of skyscrapers because of map and time compression. Ships are able to "bounce" shells off their bow and have the accuracy that even modern artillery wish they had. Some ships do not even have their historical load outs. Also, some ships are actually useful unlike their real-life counterparts such as battleships. 

No one's arguing that WOWs is a sim. What he's saying is that there are several values (Reload, Turret turn, etc) which are actually spot on for the real thing.

Also, minor nitpick: BBs were genuinely useful in naval ops (Look at land bombardment). Carriers just did alot of things better.

Members
1,697 posts
8,726 battles

This got me thinking... if there is a maximum limit to the number of shells, then there probably is one for planes (or more probably plane launches) and torpedoes.

Edited by Wows_Nightly_News

[SOUP]
Modder
8,813 posts
3 minutes ago, Wows_Nightly_News said:

This got me thinking... if there is a maximum limit to the number of shells, then there probably is one for planes (or more probably plane launches) and torpedoes.

Yeah but those would be a lot harder to test...  :\

Members
1,697 posts
8,726 battles
1 minute ago, Chobittsu said:

Yeah but those would be a lot harder to test...  :\

true. I think it would probably take longer than the maximum time in training room too.