You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Memory needs refreshing: how does one apply to become a ship tester?

9 comments in this topic

[_RNG_]
Supertester
3,176 posts
5,476 battles

Supertest applications will open up periodically. I'm fairly certain it's basically when they see they have a lack of active STs and need more. There is no scheduled bi-yearly recruitment or anything. 

They might have you write up a quick opinion on a ship or fill out some basic suvey. Fairly brief, but you want to make sure you complete it seriously and honestly. 

CCs are their own story. I know you have to build a rep first then apply. 

Or you could take the Femenely route and sent a resumè to Austin TX:Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by _1204_

[WG-CC]
Privateers, Members
9,091 posts
7,978 battles

Wait until WG announces another application round, apply, get chosen.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,712 posts
19,894 battles

What I'm reading from the title is that OP is asking how to be a ship tester. Thing is, we don't have ship testers. We have supertesters. Testing ships is only a portion of the job description. If you want to be a tester just to drive new ships, you're going to be disappointed / get a lot more work than you asked for.

[ARGSY]
Members
21,677 posts
15,723 battles
2 minutes ago, Lert said:

Thing is, we don't have ship testers. We have supertesters.

I put it this way because I know that both designated supertesters and community contributors get given ships to test. Clarification of the full supertester role would be much appreciated.

[KWF]
Members
4,935 posts
6,604 battles
4 minutes ago, Lert said:

What I'm reading from the title is that OP is asking how to be a ship tester. Thing is, we don't have ship testers. We have supertesters. Testing ships is only a portion of the job description. If you want to be a tester just to drive new ships, you're going to be disappointed / get a lot more work than you asked for.

Doesn't WG also allow Wiki staff to playtest new ships in order to deliver timely wiki data? Thought this was also a way to play unreleased ships.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,712 posts
19,894 battles
8 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Clarification of the full supertester role would be much appreciated.

Test new game modes, test new mechanics, test new sounds, test new features, test new collections, visually inspect new ships, test new maps, test new captains, test bug fixes - basically every single thing that's new or changed needs to be tested. Most of this happens on a supertester only test server.

• Cool 1

[NDA]
Alpha Tester
2,902 posts
6,051 battles
4 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I put it this way because I know that both designated supertesters and community contributors get given ships to test. Clarification of the full supertester role would be much appreciated.

Without going into too much detail.  You're given tasks to complete, and while new ships have tasks, you'll also be checking for graphical errors, island errors, game mechanics errors.  Even little things like making sure the camo works with hull A and B of (insert ship here) Can you shoot through this island in H9?  Test it with multiple ships.  Do the captain skills work properly on said ship, is there any combination of those that will break the ship?  Basically you're making sure everything works and doing what you can to make sure that it won't break when some weird combo is attempted.

You'll see testers on the regular server with new ships to test, but there is more testing to be done in organized groups on the Public Test Server.  You have a certain time frame to get it done and then  you'll have to write up your findings.  If any bugs are found you'll need to be able to describe it and explain the recreation settings if possible. 

Basically, when you see a patch video come out with the changes to mechanics, maps, consumables, ships, etc, etc, etc, anything mentioned in that has to be tested and found to function properly. 

• Cool 1