Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
The_TrashPanda

Montana tier 10 tank build

6 comments in this topic

Members
26 posts
6,107 battles

What is a good tank build for the Montana is ranked/Clan battles? (upgrades and commander points)

Right now I have: PT, AR, SI, FP

I have enough double bloons to respect the commander if needed to be

Edited by LittleBush

[--K--]
Members
1,351 posts
11,326 battles

Besides the basic commander skills, IMO the best build for Monty is dumping spotting aircraft for fighter, upgrading firing range, Damage control party 1 and 2 and the legendary upgrade (slot 5) and aiming mod (slot 6).  

Edited by BarneyStyle

[_RNG_]
Supertester
3,176 posts
5,476 battles

Captain build (in my personal preferential order): PT[1], EM, SI, CE, FP, BoS, AR

Upgrades: MB mod 1[1], DCP mod 1, Aiming systems mod 1[2], DCP mod 2, Legendary mod[3], Artillery plotting room[4]

1) Can be a personal preference. Maybe you have a captain with a boosted tier 1 skill you would rather use, or want to run the DCP special upgrade in slot 1. I am actually experimenting with EL for Halsey (7 second swap to HE):Smile-_tongue:

2) Again a personal choice, but for slightly different reasons. Less of a personal preference and more swapping to whichever upgrade suits the role you are taking. Since there is no dispersion buff for slot 3 US BBs, you either opt for extra range or extra aa. I would skip secondaries, and traverse would be an interesting choice.

3) Now this one depends. The legendary mod sacrifices concealment. A nice trade for 30 second fires, but in CBs, every km of detection matters. My personal opinion is Legendary mod for Randoms and ranked, and concealment for CBs. 

4) Make sure you take the artillery plotting room. I didn't at first, and when i swapped to it I had a real eye opening experience. it REALLY helps the dispersion, and with 12 guns its pretty brutal. Well worth a few seconds of reload. 

Yes, footnotes still exist

[KIA-C]
Members
3,552 posts
15,600 battles

image.thumb.png.4d333839ae992fc0c92e90fe839affbf.png

This is my Yamato build but it works with Montana too. Maybe if the turret traverse is good enough you can trade EM for JoAT for faster consummable reload or you can take both PM and EL.

image.png.74d763a9bcda5ccac1958e9067cdc31c.png For upgrades

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,416 posts
4,198 battles

My Monty build for Ranked:

Captain: PT, EM, SI, CE, FP, BoS, AR.

Modules: Main Armaments Mod 1, Dama Con Mod 1, AA Mod 1, Steering Mod 2, Concealment Mod, Accuracy Mod

Concealment and Tankiness are the focus. Concealment allows you to get in position, and disengage if required. Tanking is what BBs do. CVs aren't that prevalent in Ranked, and I have another commander for that anyway. Secondaries just aren't worth it.

The logic for each choice.

PT: knowing how many people want to kill you tells you what the situation is, and allows you to react accordingly (hint: if it says 5, it's time to GTFO).

EM: The turrets aren't bad stock, but EM ensures the guns are where you need them. This is kind of a personal preference, but I tend toward a more active playstyle, and I don't want to have to wait for the turrets to traverse on target.

SI: Another heal. Might not need it every game, but when you do, easily worth the 3 points IMO. It can literally be the difference between dying and losing and living and winning.

CE: Better stealth, see above.

FP: You don't realize how nice this one is until you go back to playing a non-FP BB. Then it seems you're on fire all the time. Stacked with the flag and BoS fire duration is way down as well.

BoS: Several choices here, but I like the lower fire duration (and flood, now that it matters).

AR: Faster reload is always nice. Especially in a BB where at half or quarter HP you still have enough HP to be combat effective. 25 sec and lower reload on 12 16" is kind of scary.

Main Arm Mod and Dama Con 1 are pretty simple, nothing else is really that useful.

AA Mod 1: I can't hit things at the stock max range, so more range is useless. If you're engagement range is consistently over 20km so you need that mod, you're not playing BB right. Secondaries are useless, and the turret traverse isn't worth sacrificing reload for. AA is somewhat useful.

Steering Mod 2: A lot of people like to run Dama Con 2 here, but I like the faster rudder shift. Again, this can be a personal preference. For me, a more active playstyle means reacting faster to shots/torps is more valuable than a bit more tanking.

Concealment is obvious, more concealment is always better, and the other options aren't the best.

Accuracy: The only other option here would be faster reload. I've tried it, and it's not worth the decrease in traverse speed. The USN dispersion is a bit wonky, and the mod really helps with it.

Anyhow, those are my thoughts on builds as I approach 1M XP on the Montana.

Members
26 posts
6,107 battles
7 hours ago, AlcatrazNC said:

image.thumb.png.4d333839ae992fc0c92e90fe839affbf.png

This is my Yamato build but it works with Montana too. Maybe if the turret traverse is good enough you can trade EM for JoAT for faster consummable reload or you can take both PM and EL.

image.png.74d763a9bcda5ccac1958e9067cdc31c.png For upgrades

Thank you, I will be using this build. It has everything i already have on it right now. I just didn't know what to put the other skills into. To make it tanky

Sign in to follow this