You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
TheHamOfAllHams

Nelson should Have Torpedoes

68 comments in this topic

[CGU]
Members
37 posts
734 battles

Nelson should have torpedoes because A: It's Historically accurate and B: She used them in combat, becoming the only BB to torpedo another BB. It really is a shame she doesn't have 'em in game. So... yeah.

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 2
  • Meh 2

Members
1,697 posts
8,726 battles
Just now, TheHamOfAllHams said:

Nelson should have torpedoes because A: It's Historically accurate and B: She used them in combat, becoming the only BB to torpedo another BB. It really is a shame she doesn't have 'em in game. So... yeah.

Actually it was Nelson's sister Rodney that torpedoed the Bismark. IDK Maybe they could make Rodney a tier 8 premium with thicker bow armor, torpedoes, an extra heal and all of Nelson's other benefits.

God knows we need more tier 8 premium BBs and premium British BBs.

• Cool 6

[CGU]
Members
37 posts
734 battles
Just now, Wows_Nightly_News said:

Actually it was Nelson's sister Rodney that torpedoed the Bismark. IDK Maybe they could make Rodney a tier 8 premium with thicker bow armor, torpedoes, an extra heal and all of Nelson's other benefits.

God knows we need more tier 8 premium BBs and premium British BBs.

Nah, it seems a bit excessive to have 2 ships of the same class as premiums, but well, I guess you could because of Alabama and Massachusetts .

• Funny 1

[CGU]
Members
37 posts
734 battles
2 minutes ago, Wombatmetal said:

Are they fixed tubes like the Warspite? Because those aren't modeled in the game. 

Pretty sure they could turn around and i know they were deck mounted.

[DPG]
Members
2,030 posts
10,730 battles

Yes, and so should every US BB up to the NC, the Warspite, and several others.  However, they don't because of balance reasons.

• Cool 2

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
19,991 battles
11 minutes ago, TheHamOfAllHams said:

Nah, it seems a bit excessive to have 2 ships of the same class as premiums

Marblehead and Marblehead Lima and Murmansk?

Kami and Kami R and Fujin?

Tachibana and Tachibana Lima?

Atago and Atago B? (and everything else and everything else B)?

Diana and Diana Lima?

Graf Spee and HSF Graf Spee?

Nueve De Julio and Boise?

Yeah …... excessive.

And no, BBs don't need torps.

[HELLS]
Members
2,729 posts
28,907 battles
17 minutes ago, TheHamOfAllHams said:

Nah, it seems a bit excessive to have 2 ships of the same class as premiums, but well, I guess you could because of Alabama and Massachusetts .

Only two ships in the class! Why not??

[SIM]
Members
5,384 posts
8,890 battles

If they ever add Rodney to the game, I hope that they give her a torpedo armament. The fact that she’s the only battleship to pull off something so impressive/daft as to successfully torpedo another battleship, it would be a nice nod to history (and an interesting gameplay wrinkle).

• Cool 3

Members
4,300 posts
3,255 battles
6 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Marblehead and Marblehead Lima and Murmansk?

Kami and Kami R and Fujin?

Tachibana and Tachibana Lima?

Atago and Atago B? (and everything else and everything else B)?

Diana and Diana Lima?

Graf Spee and HSF Graf Spee?

Nueve De Julio and Boise?

Yeah …... excessive.

And no, BBs don't need torps.

Or Atago and ARP Takao. The Atago was a Takao class cruiser

[KWF]
Members
4,928 posts
6,598 battles

Underwater torp tubes don't exist in the game, nor do I think they will be introduced any time soon.

And as far as I know most underwater tubes were fixed, meaning you may have had to turn the whole ship to reach the right angle, just to launch one torpedo.

Members
1,697 posts
8,726 battles
21 minutes ago, TheHamOfAllHams said:

Richelieu, Jean Bart, and technically Gascogne. Tirpitz and Bismark. Texas and New York. Fletcher, Black, Kidd, and Chung Mu. Benson and Lo Yang (literally the same ship twice). Missouri and Iowa. Yamato and Musashi. Mikhial Kutuzov and Irian. Des Moines and Salem. Haida and Cossack. St. Louis and Charleston.  Gangut and Oktyabrskaya Revolutsyblahblah (same twice again), Genvny, Anshan, Fushn, and Gremashchny. Perth and Leander. Cleveland and Monteplier. Murmansk, Marbelhead, and Omaha. Admiral Makarov and Nuremberg (same ship twice again again). Belfast and Edinburgh. King George V and Duke of York and I'm sure a missed a few. 

This is hardly unprecedented.  You could even make Rodney a different refit.

[-FOX-]
[-FOX-]
Beta Testers
73 posts
3,615 battles
7 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

Underwater torp tubes don't exist in the game, nor do I think they will be introduced any time soon.

And as far as I know most underwater tubes were fixed, meaning you may have had to turn the whole ship to reach the right angle, just to launch one torpedo.

But they did exist in the game with the Halloween Sub event.

They could do the torps the same way they did on the Mutsu aka giving them very limited traverse.

Nelson needs her sister!

• Cool 2

Members
6,168 posts
7,858 battles

From the info wikipedia provides, it looks like Nelson and Rodney's torpedo tubes were mounted like the ones on our in-game Mutsu. Two on each side, with sluice doors that had fo be opened to use them, not underwater mounts. So the tubes probably did have a limited degree of rotation.

Edited by GhostSwordsman

[CGU]
Members
37 posts
734 battles
2 minutes ago, Wows_Nightly_News said:

Richelieu, Jean Bart, and technically Gascogne. Tirpitz and Bismark. Texas and New York. Fletcher, Black, Kidd, and Chung Mu. Benson and Lo Yang (literally the same ship twice). Missouri and Iowa. Yamato and Musashi. Mikhial Kutuzov and Irian. Des Moines and Salem. Haida and Cossack. St. Louis and Charleston.  Gangut and Oktyabrskaya Revolutsyblahblah (same twice again), Genvny, Anshan, Fushn, and Gremashchny. Perth and Leander. Cleveland and Monteplier. Murmansk, Marbelhead, and Omaha. Admiral Makarov and Nuremberg (same ship twice again again). Belfast and Edinburgh. King George V and Duke of York and I'm sure a missed a few. 

This is hardly unprecedented.  You could even make Rodney a different refit.

Alot of those are Tech tree ships then premiums. That makes sense, the name ship then the lesser known sister ship, but two premium ships that are virtually the same (except for the torpedoes in this case) doesn't really make sense.

Members
1,697 posts
8,726 battles
23 minutes ago, TheHamOfAllHams said:

Alot of those are Tech tree ships then premiums. That makes sense, the name ship then the lesser known sister ship, but two premium ships that are virtually the same (except for the torpedoes in this case) doesn't really make sense.

Mikhail Kutuzov and Irian are both premiums with different consumables and torpedoes. Haida and Cossack have a difference gun load out. Plus Massachusetts and Alabama, as you mentioned before are virtually, the same externally with different stats. 

It's rarer but it happens. The reason I suggest making Rodney a buffed tier 8 Nelson with torps is because Nelson simply does not need torpedoes in her current state.

Edited by Wows_Nightly_News

Members
1,374 posts
47 minutes ago, TheHamOfAllHams said:

Best thread of the day

Alpha Tester
6,513 posts
3,304 battles
1 hour ago, SkaerKrow said:

If they ever add Rodney to the game, I hope that they give her a torpedo armament. The fact that she’s the only battleship to pull off something so impressive/daft as to successfully torpedo another battleship, it would be a nice nod to history (and an interesting gameplay wrinkle).

It's not quite so impressive or daft when you remember that by that point in the battle, the Bismarck was little more than a floating pile of burning scrap metal.

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
19,991 battles
1 hour ago, Wombatmetal said:

Or Atago and ARP Takao. The Atago was a Takao class cruiser

You're right; I forgot all about it, as well as the 4 Kongo ARP Clones. Nice save, thank you!

[SIMP]
Members
1,364 posts
11,282 battles
2 hours ago, TheHamOfAllHams said:

AND LASERS!!

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,149 posts
14,738 battles
1 hour ago, warheart1992 said:

Torpedoes could be directed to a course by their gyroscopes so a firing arc would be appropriate.

[WOOKY]
Beta Testers
1,743 posts
4 hours ago, TheHamOfAllHams said:

The Fletcher class wants a word, with its three premiums (that I can think of) and half the tech tree.

[HMN]
Members
13 posts
9,472 battles

many early BB's had torps, but they were mounted below the water line.

[PHD]
Members
1,690 posts
7,036 battles
6 hours ago, warheart1992 said:

The RN DDs tubes locked at a 90 degree angle to fire so they functioned as fixed tubes in real life. I think that might be why WG gives them single launch to simulate it.