You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Cruxdei

Near shore concealment is historically accurate.

36 comments in this topic

Members
563 posts
16,124 battles
3 minutes ago, meatgrindr said:

Very concealed, but is it battle-ready?  Looks to be just parked and hidden.

Yeah....she ain’t going anywhere.  Or firing any weapons either.  

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,164 posts
14,738 battles
6 minutes ago, RumpledSteelskins said:

Yeah....she ain’t going anywhere.  Or firing any weapons either.  

True and the example is extreme but ships that are near shore are harder to spot.

• Cool 1

-Members-
272 posts
3,291 battles

In all honesty, that ship looks like it may be GROWING into the side of the island!

There is a long history of ships using islands to hide/break line of site and make their escape, going back to the Athenian Navy and beyond. 
I would love to see how this would work in-game? Any thoughts on how it would be executed in battles?

[WOLFG]
Members
10,660 posts
9,886 battles
6 minutes ago, Drghost_Poutinebbq said:

Imagine all the time it took to setup that camo!! ouch.

They have extra help.

Like the gun crews.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
16,467 posts

Smoke and high concealment are the root causes of the slow, tentative, map-edge-riding, island-humping gameplay in WOWS PVP.

Already too much smoke and the like in the game, it doesn't need more. 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[P-V-E]
Members
1,525 posts

mmm, maybe they could use proximity to an island to perturbed radar chance to detecting you, so when the ships CoM as close as posable to an island the effectiveness of radar is reduced by 2/3, so a 10km radar would only see a ship with its CoM as close to the island as posable within 3.333km.

the effect could also be used in reverse too, so a ship with 10km radar that has its CoM as close as posable to an island end up with just 3.333km effective radar range.

:Smile_unsure:

• Cool 1

[ERN]
Modder, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,892 posts
4,881 battles

jung.jpg

don't forget about this one

Members
1,578 posts
22,927 battles
23 minutes ago, BTed72 said:

In all honesty, that ship looks like it may be GROWING into the side of the island!

There is a long history of ships using islands to hide/break line of site and make their escape, going back to the Athenian Navy and beyond. 
I would love to see how this would work in-game? Any thoughts on how it would be executed in battles?

If it was a battle mode and I was in a BB I would be pushing near enough the islands to an objective where they could not be a blind spot to me unless I had passable support from other ships where I knew someone sneaky could or would be spotted. I am not sure how much I would use it as a DD as depending on the situation it may leave you pinned where you can't effectively get away. Playing the sides of the island where you could not be pinned could be interesting though, as it can be now. It will be good bait until people have wisened up and can turn it into a meta or incorporate it into whatever the meta becomes. A lot of it will depend on the bonus applied and the tiers of play.

Members
1,697 posts
8,726 battles

In all seriousness,

Yes getting near an island has a chance of masking a ships radar signature (if you buy into the idea that radar is always on in the game and the consumable is just a radar boost) and in low light conditions can hide its silhouette.

As you might have noticed in game, the IJN often used grass green camo schemes rather than ocean blue ones to help ships blend in with islands (the idea being that camo didn't help ships at sea hide much).

[DEV_X]
Alpha Tester
2,484 posts
24,827 battles
45 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Smoke and high concealment are the root causes of the slow, tentative, map-edge-riding, island-humping gameplay in WOWS PVP.

With the amount of islands and island camping going on, I just dont know if it's a great idea. I already dont like how stagnant battles can be and I feel like this is going to promote it. I could be wrong but, I'm just guessing based on what little we know, it may turn the game more into WoT than before. Ships didnt and still dont park and fight.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
16,467 posts
3 minutes ago, Skuggsja said:

With the amount of islands and island camping going on, I just dont know if it's a great idea. I already dont like how stagnant battles can be and I feel like this is going to promote it. I could be wrong but, I'm just guessing based on what little we know, it may turn the game more into WoT than before. Ships didnt and still dont park and fight.

Yeah, this just smells of turning WOWS into "WOT on the water". 

[O7]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
11,904 posts
8,723 battles

WG if you want the support of the DD mafia just advertise that ships near land masses are invisible on radar. That should end most crying on the topic.

• Meh 1

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,002 battles
1 hour ago, BTed72 said:

Any thoughts on how it would be executed in battles?

Even more camping and hiding than before?

1 hour ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Agree.

57 minutes ago, b101uk said:

mmm, maybe they could use proximity to an island to perturbed radar chance to detecting you, so when the ships CoM as close as posable to an island the effectiveness of radar is reduced by 2/3, so a 10km radar would only see a ship with its CoM as close to the island as posable within 3.333km.

Would that be the radar that currently sees through islands like they were made of air?

18 minutes ago, Skuggsja said:

With the amount of islands and island camping going on, I just dont know if it's a great idea. I already dont like how stagnant battles can be and I feel like this is going to promote it.

Agree.

18 minutes ago, Skuggsja said:

Ships didnt and still dont park and fight.

Only here.

15 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Agree.

12 minutes ago, 1nv4d3rZ1m said:

WG if you want the support of the DD mafia just advertise that ships near land masses are invisible on radar. That should end most crying on the topic.

And if you need BB backing just tell them they will be immune to torpedoes.

Members
4,300 posts
3,255 battles
1 hour ago, BTed72 said:

I think it should never happen. It would be a buff to hydro and radar, and promote island hugging cruisers and we don't need more HE spam

[DEV_X]
Alpha Tester
2,484 posts
24,827 battles
58 minutes ago, 1nv4d3rZ1m said:

The idea of not seeing through islands is horrifying though. Just think, anytime you round an island a DD is parked there with a full load of torps just waiting for you. Even if one hits, in anything but a Battleship, there goes a huge chunk of health. In the worst case scenario he just deleted you and you didnt see it coming until too late. Now DDs are incentivized to park behind and island and just wait for someone to come around them. Which in turn keeps players farther from islands and spawns, no promoting sniping.

[RNDM]
Members
371 posts
7,406 battles
2 hours ago, b101uk said:

the effect could also be used in reverse too, so a ship with 10km radar that has its CoM as close as posable to an island end up with just 3.333km effective radar range.

:Smile_unsure:

I like this although I still think LOS would be more reasonable

[SOV]
Members
4,676 posts
3 hours ago, BTed72 said:

Be for the cv rework the talk was campy island huggers. This would make it worst. While not a bad idea but with the xv nerf and nerf and nerf what will spot them?

Pluse we already have enough he island spamming already no reason to make them insisable as well.

[TF_34]
Beta Testers
1,475 posts
5,114 battles
2 hours ago, KilljoyCutter said:

it has been since launch or possibly even CB. All they did was swap out little tanks for little boats, more or less.

[TF_34]
Beta Testers
1,475 posts
5,114 battles

The ship in the OPs pic I believe is the USS Portland. If so the ship was not combat capable; they hid her with the camo to conduct emergency repairs without being molested by air attack.

Shes not prepping for a game of peek-a-boom as we see in game

[SOV]
Members
4,676 posts
2 hours ago, Wows_Nightly_News said:

In all seriousness,

Yes getting near an island has a chance of masking a ships radar signature (if you buy into the idea that radar is always on in the game and the consumable is just a radar boost) and in low light conditions can hide its silhouette.

As you might have noticed in game, the IJN often used grass green camo schemes rather than ocean blue ones to help ships blend in with islands (the idea being that camo didn't help ships at sea hide much).

Great point!

Ok WNN are you Appling for CC????