Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
kgh52

Yes, another Newport thread

44 comments in this topic

[TDRB]
Members
5,148 posts
13,741 battles

Newport this time around has been different. One match it is a cake walk to 5 stars. One match it is a fight to get a 1 or 2 star win. The rest of the day you're lucky to have a team capable of keeping the 1 wave out of the defensive line. I usually pick up several 2 & 3 star wins over the course of the week. I have more 5 stars wins than all other wins put together this week. My win total is less than 10.

Members
3,792 posts
23,987 battles

Played it twice recently, many players don't focus on the objectives needed to get the stars and this has always been one of the harder scenarios to complete.

[ARGSY]
Members
21,514 posts
15,568 battles
17 minutes ago, 1SneakyDevil said:

many players don't focus on the objectives needed to get the stars

Either that or they huddle in the base and don't have the shooting skills to whittle down the enemy ships at range. Inevitably one hits the base perimeter and that starts the major sh*tshow which ends in a rollover loss.

[TDRB]
Members
5,148 posts
13,741 battles
7 minutes ago, 1SneakyDevil said:

Played it twice recently, many players don't focus on the objectives needed to get the stars and this has always been one of the harder scenarios to complete.

IMO this is the most difficult scenario. I have better luck in Ultimate Frontier.

I focus on getting the win 1st. Keeping the 1st & 2nd wave out of the base is a must to win.

• Cool 1

[TDRB]
Members
5,148 posts
13,741 battles
3 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Either that or they huddle in the base and don't have the shooting skills to whittle down the enemy ships at range. Inevitably one hits the base perimeter and that starts the major sh*tshow which ends in a rollover loss.

This is true. Too many cruiser drivers act as if a BB can keep multiple DD's out of the base. T6 BB's do not have the secondaries of a Bismark or Massachusetts.

[BROOK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,158 posts
20 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

This is true. Too many cruiser drivers act as if a BB can keep multiple DD's out of the base. T6 BB's do not have the secondaries of a Bismark or Massachusetts.

And can't hit the broadside of a barn unless they are the Warspite and tend to take 35+ seconds to reload.

[MHG]
Members
49 posts
12,986 battles

It's a difficult Operational only when you do with randoms because you can get stuck with a mix of ships that don't do well if players cant hit anything or get in good enough positions to. IE you get stuck with no CLs and only Heavy Cruisers and BBs, or have 1-2 DDs who take fubakis or other useless DDs into this Op. You can always usually count them off, especially if you don't get a div of at least 3 with a mix of ships. 1 BB, 1 CL, 1 CV or CA. It's just the sheer randomize of the MM and who ever is in the queue, and since it's usually first come first serve you can see no DDs waiting and them get stuck with 1-2 you weren't expecting. 

[RLGN]
Members
14,817 posts
26,335 battles

Light cruisers aside; there’s also the battleship drivers who can’t seem to see a destroyer practically in their face, and either refuse to, or are completely incapable of hitting it even if they did shoot at it; then get torpedoed and die.

-Members-
272 posts
3,291 battles
2 hours ago, kgh52 said:

IMO this is the most difficult scenario. I have better luck in Ultimate Frontier.

I focus on getting the win 1st. Keeping the 1st & 2nd wave out of the base is a must to win.

What is the most interesting, IMO, is the need for good communication in this operation. If the team is not communicating, calling out the order of attack, areas about to be focused, or even simply reminding you to get healed this operation becomes exponentially more difficult. 

The challenge makes this a worthwhile operation that does have a great replay value as you hunt those 5 stars @kgh52 mentioned above. It will punish you if you make any errors though.

Members
1,438 posts
20,188 battles
58 minutes ago, BTed72 said:

What is the most interesting, IMO, is the need for good communication in this operation. If the team is not communicating, calling out the order of attack, areas about to be focused, or even simply reminding you to get healed this operation becomes exponentially more difficult. 

The challenge makes this a worthwhile operation that does have a great replay value as you hunt those 5 stars @kgh52 mentioned above. It will punish you if you make any errors though.

There is something more you can do yourself if you are queuing solo. While being proactive is good in all operations, it is especially important in this one. Having knowledge on how this one works significantly helps as it gives less directions and clues on order of battle. If desired, I can post a link to my Newport thread or put links to my YouTube videos for this here.

Alpha Tester
6,509 posts
3,304 battles
2 hours ago, BTed72 said:

Maybe you guys should keep that in mind next time you're designing new Operations. You're never going to get the level of ultra-tight communication necessary to get five stars from random teams, so stop making it so that the only way to get five stars is through ultra-tight communication.

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers
3,231 posts
9,665 battles

I personally like this ops when playing with a CV, I like the challenge it brings and the opportunity of contributing a lot to the team.

More xp is nice too on a 5 star win.

• Cool 1

[A-D-F]
Members
2,108 posts
7,629 battles
1 hour ago, Lightninger said:

Been developing a proactive strat using the Izmail. My latest battle trying it.

Personal.png

Video please!  :Smile_great:  +1

We need more videos using cruisers and battleships on these ops.

I was all over the board tonight.  2 losses, 4 wins (2, 4, 4, 5 star).  That 5 star crew was a thing of beauty.  I gave +1 to every one I could.

Edited by Captain_Slattery

[TDRB]
Members
5,148 posts
13,741 battles
14 hours ago, Stahlfaust_XVI said:

It's a difficult Operational only when you do with randoms because you can get stuck with a mix of ships that don't do well if players cant hit anything or get in good enough positions to. IE you get stuck with no CLs and only Heavy Cruisers and BBs, or have 1-2 DDs who take fubakis or other useless DDs into this Op. You can always usually count them off, especially if you don't get a div of at least 3 with a mix of ships. 1 BB, 1 CL, 1 CV or CA. It's just the sheer randomize of the MM and who ever is in the queue, and since it's usually first come first serve you can see no DDs waiting and them get stuck with 1-2 you weren't expecting. 

While this is true to an extent but I've had several losses with 3 BB's, 3 CL's & either a DD or CA.

[ARGSY]
Members
21,514 posts
15,568 battles
15 hours ago, Stahlfaust_XVI said:

you can get stuck with a mix of ships that don't do well

IMHO don't bring a heavy cruiser, don't bring a destroyer unless it has good gun armament (e.g. Gnevny/Anshan, which can shred the light cruisers we get here), and if you're bringing a battleship, bring one that is fast and/or can get reliable hits at long range. More of a guideline than a rule, but that's my two cents' worth.

[A-D-F]
Members
2,108 posts
7,629 battles
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

IMHO don't bring a heavy cruiser, don't bring a destroyer unless it has good gun armament (e.g. Gnevny/Anshan, which can shred the light cruisers we get here), and if you're bringing a battleship, bring one that is fast and/or can get reliable hits at long range. More of a guideline than a rule, but that's my two cents' worth.

I have been using Warspite almost exclusively for my battleship in this op.  I do really well with her despite her limitations. 

Which battleship would you recommend?

[ARGSY]
Members
21,514 posts
15,568 battles
1 minute ago, Captain_Slattery said:

I have been using Warspite almost exclusively for my battleship in this op.  I do really well with her despite her limitations. 

Yes, but Warspite has a reputation for accuracy and agility, doesn't she?

Out of the ones I have, my choice for speed would be Normandie, and she has lots of guns with which to get stuff done (including helping to ensure hits on destroyers).

It's a pity we can't bring a Kongo. PEF's fast, but her gunnery is not all that it could be.

• Cool 1

[MHG]
Members
49 posts
12,986 battles
3 hours ago, kgh52 said:

While this is true to an extent but I've had several losses with 3 BB's, 3 CL's & either a DD or CA.

Player Skill aside, you got have all the ships but if your team mates are stupid you could have literally every advantage and still lose. I've had Matches with 3 DDs, 1 CA, 2 BBs, and a CV and win with 5 stars. Not all the time but it can happen

[MHG]
Members
49 posts
12,986 battles

Well tell that to the random people who queue up in the Operations with absolutely no idea. Then even if you tell them they'll still bring it out again, I'm sure people are thrilled be mocked for bringing certain boats out to play. Even if MM evens up throwing the worst ships together to play, good luck even winning letting alone get 5 stars in most cases

[A-D-F]
Members
2,108 posts
7,629 battles
2 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Yes, but Warspite has a reputation for accuracy and agility, doesn't she?

Out of the ones I have, my choice for speed would be Normandie, and she has lots of guns with which to get stuff done (including helping to ensure hits on destroyers).

It's a pity we can't bring a Kongo. PEF's fast, but her gunnery is not all that it could be.

I have tried PEF and it was PEW!  I have had success with Arizona.  Now Normandie....hmmmm.  I don't usually consider elite ships because I'm trying to earn cash in the ops (just bought Iowa, broke again :Smile_sad:) BUT Normandie now has me intrigued.  I think I will use her for my first ride the next time Newport comes up in the rotation.

Thanks @Ensign_Cthulhu, +1.

[ARGSY]
Members
21,514 posts
15,568 battles
1 minute ago, Stahlfaust_XVI said:

I'm sure people are thrilled be mocked for bringing certain boats out to play.

You don't have to MOCK them, but it is possible to suggest politely (at the end) that the ship they chose is not optimal for the operation. It has to be done politely, though, because it might be the only T6 they have, and you have to cut that sort of player a bit of slack. They are trying their hardest with what they've got.

7 minutes ago, Captain_Slattery said:

I think I will use her for my first ride the next time Newport comes up in the rotation.

Good luck. I have to admit, I am soured on this operation. More than any other, it depends on people knowing what they have to do, and too many people simply don't read or listen to the instructions which tell them to KEEP ENEMY SHIPS OUT OF THE BASE. It ought to be a turkey shoot, but it's more often a trainwreck.

What's up today?

[MHG]
Members
49 posts
12,986 battles

You don't have to MOCK them, but it is possible to suggest politely (at the end) that the ship they chose is not optimal for the operation. It has to be done politely, though, because it might be the only T6 they have, and you have to cut that sort of player a bit of slack. They are trying their hardest with what they've got.

Good luck. I have to admit, I am soured on this operation. More than any other, it depends on people knowing what they have to do, and too many people simply don't read or listen to the instructions which tell them to KEEP ENEMY SHIPS OUT OF THE BASE. It ought to be a turkey shoot, but it's more often a trainwreck.

What's up today?

Kind of hard when keep getting that wasted 1 slot or 2 DDs/CAs who think they are BBs yolo out and die before they can even get 1 kill or equal damage to their own HPs. And on a losing streak it can get really frustrating when you talk to them about that, and then the next match you get exactly another guy just like him. Doesn't add up quick enough so many people just straight up are hostile. 

[TDRB]
Members
5,148 posts
13,741 battles

I've had Matches with 3 DDs, 1 CA, 2 BBs, and a CV and win with 5 stars. Not all the time but it can happen

I've had that in other ops but never in Newport but I agree with the right people it does happen.

Members
1,438 posts
20,188 battles
3 hours ago, Captain_Slattery said:

As previously shown in the screenshots, I find the Izmail to be the best with the right combination of armor scheme, speed, and with the right strat like I am testing, good consistent salvos. 

I have focused mainly on destroyer replays to show off that they are easily viable despite all the people saying otherwise. I have done videos for cruisers and battleships so far when someone has had a strat that works really well for the ships like the Scharnhorst rush and the northern route for Shchors/Lazo in Narai.

Sign in to follow this