You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
KinoMyu

Proof of Concept - Subtitle Mod

9 comments in this topic

Modder
100 posts
5,461 battles

I'm unsure if the mod as it is currently is compliant with WG's rules for mods, so I won't be distributing it. That and the fact that the mod requires admin privileges to capture file open events using a kernel tracing session.

HOW IT WORKS (Forgive the throwaway code)

Spoiler

Subtitles are defined in a JSON file, with the filenames being the keys associated with an array of text to display.

FSoqbxh.png

This JSON file is then read and parsed in the subtitler. The subtitler will capture file create (file open) events and determine whether to send that to the Python part of the mod.

ioOjmyy.png

vOeqgCX.png

8Qhn0lG.png

Should WG add official support for subtitles and/or subtitle mods?

• Cool 5

[WOLFC]
Members
2,008 posts
10,437 battles

I'd like to see it added, if only so someone can make a mod that will let me determine exactly what horrible things Hipper is saying about me every time I take out my favorite tier 8 cruiser. On second thought, maybe I don't want to know... :Smile_unsure:

But really, subtitles would be a nice feature for all of the collaboration captains.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,115 posts

Finally... some of us have been asking for such a things since beta. Sell them the code. 

[RU]
Administrator
132 posts
54 battles
On 6/11/2019 at 10:44 AM, KinoMyu said:

I'm unsure if the mod as it is currently is compliant with WG's rules for mods, so I won't be distributing it. That and the fact that the mod requires admin privileges to capture file open events using a kernel tracing session.

HOW IT WORKS (Forgive the throwaway code)

Reveal hidden contents

Should WG add official support for subtitles and/or subtitle mods?

Hi,

This concept, when used, will cause detection both for you and other users.
Therefore, in this form, I do not recommend using it.

But. The concept itself is very interesting and it means that in modAPI we will have to make an improvement that will make it safe to use the concept.

I hope to version 088 we will have time to make the necessary additions to modAPI, we will inform you.

With respect,

• Cool 2

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,115 posts

Love it... I'd want the ability to change the font as well... maybe make it bold or change its color... heck maybe even put a colored background behind it... like yellow with black font. You know people, they love choices. 

I think the better question here is why the devs simply didn't build this into the game in the first place. Should have been an easy thing back then. 

I do so hope we get this sooner than later.