You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
JEFFREY_LEI

How to get a citadel?

26 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
21,563 posts
15,643 battles

Generally speaking, try to wait until the enemy is showing his full broadside, and aim to hit somewhere between the forward smokestack and the aft turret.

If you use the tech tree to look at ships, you can visualise their armour layout and where the citadel actually is.

In addition, @UrPeaceKeeper (Whiskey's Gaming Lounge) has a whole bunch of YouTube vids on almost every ship released so far, in which he explores this. Some of the advice given in the vids (on captain skills, modules etc.) is out of date because the game has changed a lot since then, but the citadel placements have generally remained the same. Other YouTubers have similar profiles. Do your research and familiarise yourself with the general placement of citadels.

Co-op is a great place to practise hitting these, as is the training room.

[MUDDX]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
23,141 battles

@JEFFREY_LEI My average is less than 1 and most were complete surprises. A few times I have gotten 4 or 5 in one battle by pure luck alone.

[WOLF2]
Members
1,646 posts
11,639 battles
5 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Generally speaking, try to wait until the enemy is showing his full broadside, and aim to hit somewhere between the forward smokestack and the aft turret.

If you use the tech tree to look at ships, you can visualise their armour layout and where the citadel actually is.

In addition, @UrPeaceKeeper (Whiskey's Gaming Lounge) has a whole bunch of YouTube vids on almost every ship released so far, in which he explores this. Some of the advice given in the vids (on captain skills, modules etc.) is out of date because the game has changed a lot since then, but the citadel placements have generally remained the same. Other YouTubers have similar profiles. Do your research and familiarise yourself with the general placement of citadels.

You forgot the sacrifices to RNGesus.  

I back-slid today, and oh, that Des Moines at 8km full broadside.    Center-mass, waterline and FIRE!!

Three shots plinked in the water, three went over him.   I'm sure the guy closed his eyes and waited for the 'splosions.   Opened his eyes and he's at the same health level.

I got him the next volley, but still... that was one of those RNG moments.   They happen.    But always good to practice what Cthulhu and others have said.

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,254 posts
12,281 battles
15 minutes ago, JEFFREY_LEI said:

I rarely get citadels.

I see your battle count is 343. that likely means you are still playing low tiers. Citadels are harder to get down here. these tiers are for learning the basics. You will hit more Citadels frequently at T6, I promise!, but you have to get over the hump of being a T5 citadel piñata. this will all makes sense to you soon.  

Members
1,445 posts
7,009 battles

And if there is a particular ship that you are having problems with, you can always load it up in the game client (find them through the tech tree) and view the citadel directly with the armor viewer. Just keep deleting highlighted scetions until only the cit is highlighted. It might be a good idea to just go through and check the cit locations on various common ships at your tiers, just to help fix the locations in your mind.

Matt

[_RNG_]
Supertester
3,176 posts
5,476 battles

One of the best pieces of advice I learned as a new player is aim for the waterline below the smoke stacks. Pretty generic and doesn't always work, but thats usually where the citadel is:cap_rambo:

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
19,943 battles
25 minutes ago, JEFFREY_LEI said:

I rarely get citadels.

Don't shoot at destroyers.

Members
5,408 posts
10,454 battles

At less than 350 battles - just concentrate on learning many of the mechanics of the game lioke spotting.  Cits are harder to get due to higher dispersion at lower tiers.  They will become a bit easier with lots of practice and better ships.

[INTEL]
Members
13,459 posts
37,276 battles

@JEFFREY_LEI get a sturdy T6 or T7 cruiser and practice in Operations. Our operations Discord will be glad to help, we have many veterans. PM me for Discord link

Members
3,256 posts
4,322 battles
1 hour ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Emerald, the exception to the rule.

Ya but you can citadel an Emerald with water spray from a near Miss.

• Funny 1

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
19,943 battles
1 hour ago, StoneRhino said:

Or HE

Ya know, that's true …. unless you're shooting at lower tier CVs, which I have penned with HE. 

[WOLF9]
Privateers
14,796 posts
4,733 battles

How to get a citadel?

Buy a cruiser or battleship. 

Oh, you mean how to puncture a citadel.  Buy a Salem.  Select AP.  Find a cruiser that is broadside to you.  Bingo!  Citadel soup!

Members
337 posts
1,113 battles
10 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Yeah I watch his channel.

9 hours ago, Taichunger said:

@JEFFREY_LEI get a sturdy T6 or T7 cruiser and practice in Operations. Our operations Discord will be glad to help, we have many veterans. PM me for Discord link

I have Nurnburg. (VI KM cruiser)

Edited by JEFFREY_LEI

Members
337 posts
1,113 battles
8 hours ago, Umikami said:

Ya know, that's true …. unless you're shooting at lower tier CVs, which I have penned with HE. 

CV are easy to citadel though...

[PVE]
Members
4,645 posts
20,517 battles

Apply, get accepted and move to South Carolina for a few years.....  Ware, it's an Army focused school but, I think they have graduated a Naval transfer or two over the Century it's been in operations....   Only kidding.

Blast away at any ship broadside to you in your weapons "effective range"; aim at the water line amidships; say the shooters' prayer "every shot is Unique" to the RNG GoD; and, that Leetle Brown Reeboon will be yours..........if you have been a good Captain of late....(he keeps a list I've heard....)  "For every military science ever conceived, there is a soldier whom has survived doing everything wrong in that sciences's theories, because GoD favors them....."  Citadels are no different....

[IRNBN]
Members
3,680 posts
10,703 battles
11 hours ago, JEFFREY_LEI said:

I rarely get citadels.

(1) Sudo get "Enterprise".

(2) Drop AP bombs

(3) Goto (2)

(4) End

Members
337 posts
1,113 battles
21 minutes ago, So_lt_Goes said:

(1) Sudo get "Enterprise".

(2) Drop AP bombs

(3) Goto (2)

(4) End

I am bad at playing CVs.

Edited by JEFFREY_LEI

Members
3,256 posts
4,322 battles
14 hours ago, Umikami said:

Ya you can cit a ranger with DD HE.. lol

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
19,943 battles
23 minutes ago, StoneRhino said:

Ya you can cit a ranger with DD HE.. lol

Langley too!

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
19,943 battles
5 hours ago, JEFFREY_LEI said:

CV are easy to citadel though...

They used to be; they also used to burn and flood.

[HINON]
Members
3,266 posts
27,597 battles
14 hours ago, StoneRhino said:

Ya but you can citadel an Emerald with water spray from a near Miss.

so true lol