You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
PurpleAki_NA

Improving Team Play in CV

30 comments in this topic

Members
81 posts
6,793 battles

I'd like the communities opinion on my CV play (replay file attached). The chat was toxic towards me, so I'd like a balanced opinion (not the opinion of someone who has died) on whether I'm a [enter expletives here]. I consider myself a team player (DD main, playing CV to better counter them), but I'm getting abused by my own team and I'd like to know if that abuse is warranted.

Are any other CV players getting smashed in chat like me? Am I really that bad?

20190609_211600_PBSA210-Audacious_25_sea_hope.wowsreplay

[DEV_X]
Alpha Tester
2,463 posts
24,697 battles

Oh of course we are

I got called retarded and idiot for bringing Audacious into ranked despite me doing very well in it. I was told that it cant do damage to Destroyers but the opposing Hak could... He also talked about me being useless because I didnt leave spawn, as if moving a ship with no real defense up is a good idea, not even factoring in the points that are gained and losses from sinking a carrier.

The guy has great stats but left his AA in his Gearing and was the first to die in that match. He complained and insulted everyone, especially the guys who stuck up for me (by their own doing).

I didn't watch your replay but my point is that people will always complain and you also cant do it all. Two enemy destroyers on different sides of the map and people want them both spotted, at the same time someone is demanding fighters, and people are complaining that you're not doing enough damage. It all comes from the same echo chamber of misconnceptions about the Class from people who dont play it. Planes move fast but they dont teleport and unlike shells you have to steer them the entire time to do damage.

Just ignore the the haters.

Screenshot_20190609-215306_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20190609-215258_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Skuggsja
  • Boring 2

[SOV]
Members
4,638 posts
2 minutes ago, Skuggsja said:

Oh of course we are

I got called retarded and idiot for bringing Audacious into ranked despite me doing very well in it. I was told that it can do damage to Destroyers but the opposing Hak could... He also talked about me being useless because I didnt leave spawn, as if moving a ship with no real defense up is a good idea, not even factoring in the points that are gained and losses from sinking a carrier.

The guy has great stats but left his AA in his Gearing and was the first to die in that match. He complained and insulted everyone, especially the guys who stuck up for me (by their own doing).

Screenshot_20190609-215306_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20190609-215258_Chrome.jpg

Lolol we really need to compile a list of best CV rants.

I had a Belfast complan that cc were op. After he got sunk started saying things about by parents and my ranger. I never saw him never shot at him but was my foult for his sinking. Or the Ranger sank a full health NC in 3 passes?

Whats your fav complete lie about CV you have heard?

[SOV]
Members
4,638 posts
22 minutes ago, PurpleAki said:

I'd like the communities opinion on my CV play (replay file attached). The chat was toxic towards me, so I'd like a balanced opinion (not the opinion of someone who has died) on whether I'm a [enter expletives here]. I consider myself a team player (DD main, playing CV to better counter them), but I'm getting abused by my own team and I'd like to know if that abuse is warranted.

Dude it does not matter how good you do. If you sink your self in 2 min then you a "pick one" if you get 9 kills and solo worrier you a "pick one" 

Welcome to CV world were your always a cancer and [edited] and "pick one" its been this way for 5 months now and its never going to end untill people just remeber, if your not enjoying your self then find a new hobby.

And if you think your going to fet balance forget it. You will get, all CV should go your a "pick one."

Its really sad at this point.

Do your thing get better and have a great time.

Whats your fav CV line?

[-CFI-]
Members
332 posts
3,375 battles

Even if people aren't making a fuss in chat, I seem to lose karma at a reliable rate when I play CVs. Or, rather, I tend to hold even. The game tells you when you've been complimented, and each compliment should increase karma by one (and it takes 2 reports to lower karma by 1). But despite getting compliments, my karma stays even or occasionally goes down, when I CV.

I get compliments for doing the best I can to support my team. That's all you can do. Tempers are high, people are riled up, and there's a bandwagon effect of hating on CVs. It'll die down eventually. Until then, play the best you can, and ignore the haters. And there are haters. They pipe up in chat maybe every 3rd game. I don't mean just a simple complaint about CVs, I mean someone getting personal with it. Down at Tier IV, where there can be 6 CV games (3v3), I often forestall the ire by making the first 'this is ridiculous' comment... because that is ridiculous. It helps when the CV is complaining about CVs first - if the complaint is warranted.

And by the way, like you, I'm not a CV main. I started playing them to learn how to counter them. And they can definitely be countered. It's improved my DD and CL play immensely.

• Cool 1

[DEV_X]
Alpha Tester
2,463 posts
24,697 battles
29 minutes ago, jags_domain said:

Whats your fav complete lie about CV you have heard?

That CV is "easy mode". It blows my mind how people want to say it's so easy but dont play them. They move their white line to the waterline (or wherever) and shoot. The end. The CV avoids flak, fighters, groups of ships, takes damage every 2 seconds, and every movement messes with the aiming reticle plus the enemy movement. Like it's so easy.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
5,186 posts
12,009 battles

Welcome to CV's - most everyone hates us, bashes us, rages at us, etc and blames us for losses, even when were top of the damn scoreboard. I have literally gotten a kraken, while capping 2 points, with over 100k damage dealt, over 100k spotting, and dozens of planes shot down and got crap from BOTH TEAMS and zeroed out Karma because it went up two and immediately down 2 - Thanos would be pleased. 

If your familiar with the "Philly [redacted] philly" song/chant - just change it to CV and it's the same thing.

Members
2,767 posts
93 battles
27 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

You bring a ship that degrades the playing environment for other players, and call down 100K arbitrary damage on your teammates, about which you can do nothing because things are set up that way by the devs, who don't play the game and obviously could care less about the playing experience.  What did you expect? To be loved and admired by the players you are screwing with a less fun game?

CVs suck for everyone else, it's that simple. The wonder is not that you guys get abused. The wonder is that CV players don't get abused more. But lots of players are simply resigned to the less fun playing environment. Fortunately getting lots of Cancer-free games in recent days, and hoping it becomes a trend. 

And here we have exhibit #1 for the people who are toxic against anyone who dares plays CVs

• Cool 1
  • Boring 3

[PVE]
Members
4,632 posts
20,501 battles
1 hour ago, PurpleAki said:

I don't agree with hate in any form....  The real issue isn't you.....it's the way our host went about making money and used you and a great many others to do so....  They "tripped" a cultural button at 8.0 and they really did not expect what happened next.......   How do I know that, because the silence was deafening right after 8.0....  Oh, the carrier videos were making fun of the herding; and, un-aimed torps massacring gathered ships; and, our host giggled as the money came pouring in from premium sales because "the farming was soooooooooo GuD !"  Carrier players rubbed salt into the recently wounded DD community (the RADAR meta just a few months earlier.....)   Ouch.

Then came the realization of just how bad they messed up.......  What you are experiencing is the backlash of history.  Many had this same thing happen in WoTs.  Remember, those whom fail to read history are doomed to repeat it.....

No one should lose control and take it out on "other players...."  But, when a game empowers a dissimilar weapons system and it survives almost every match and you, as a DD, if you've survived all game long and simply "can not fight back....", that is the straw that broke the camels back....  Planes are not ships.  Planes can aim at ships but, ships can not aim at planes and have to rely on our host's programming for survival (which, they do not want because that doesn't sell carriers....)

It's not you personally.  I didn't watch the video and I won't.......because, I'm not a carrier fan and have moved into COOP and Scenarios because I dislike carriers.....  I have to give up the game I like until our host realizes the real mess they have created and does "something", or take one of our suggestions for balance, or decides that there is another gimmick OP sale that Carriers will mess with and shuts them down.....  Then the Carrier drivers will be creating "I hate ......" threads.

Sorry, this is long winded.  But, I hate when a game pits dissimilar weapons against legitimate and historical in-game skill; and that, usually creates an "us and them" paradigm....

• Cool 1

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,781 posts
16,860 battles

I sail CV's and actually most of the time I don't catch too much salt. I did get more this weekend but it was just a bad weekend for random play for me. Today another day of battling through losses trying to get a naval battle star. It is tough doing that but I'm sure others have to do it occasionally as well. So it was fighting through loss after loss trying to get enough base xp to at least get a star plus salt lol.

Members
2,767 posts
93 battles
9 minutes ago, BarnacleCollector said:

"Team players" don't ruin their teammates' game by bringing a carrier into it. Carriers should be dumped into 12 carriers vs 12 carriers matches and amuse themselves all they want in those. Nobody wants to deal with them.

And here is exhibit #2.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[KERMT]
Members
1,029 posts
3 hours ago, PurpleAki said:

Im really sorry this happened. 

I've taken to muting the enemy team at the start of the game, then anyone that says anything that is not a strategy about the game we're playing gets muted. 

Im not a personal therapist for people in game, don't care about what they are crying about. 

I focus on playing. 

If half the players in this game focused on their game play and not the in game chat, they might actually win a few games (not directed at you)

• Cool 2

[INTEL]
Members
13,459 posts
37,248 battles
3 hours ago, RyuuohD_NA said:

And here we have exhibit #1 for the people who are toxic against anyone who dares plays CVs

Judging from the player base's reaction, I am hardly alone. CV players avoid facing the simple fact that they make the game suck for the other people in it. That's why they (1) emphasize it's SO HARD to make a CV work (yeah right, that's why so many crappy players switched to CV -- it's easy mode compared to playing a ship that risks its hull and has to think about positioning, targets, etc) and (2) tell everyone to git gud.

Both these rationalizations were in full play even before the ReWork. They exist so that CV players can avoid thinking about how they affect others. 

• Cool 3
  • Meh 2

[TDRB]
Members
5,148 posts
13,741 battles
6 hours ago, PurpleAki said:

It is sad the war over the CV rework has sunk to personal attacks. I've been in randoms where some start ragging on CV drivers before the match begins.

• Cool 1

[XG]
Members
321 posts
3,197 battles
3 hours ago, Taichunger said:

Judging from the player base's reaction, I am hardly alone. CV players avoid facing the simple fact that they make the game suck for the other people in it. That's why they (1) emphasize it's SO HARD to make a CV work (yeah right, that's why so many crappy players switched to CV -- it's easy mode compared to playing a ship that risks its hull and has to think about positioning, targets, etc) and (2) tell everyone to git gud.

You are by no means alone.

Regardless of whether CV's as implemented are "EZ Mode", they still suck a lot of the fun out of the game for a considerable number of people.

The solution I favor is bringing back a workable form of CV versus CV interplay. I wonder why it is that so many CV fans object to this. I guess replicating Taranto is easier than refighting the Coral Sea.

• Cool 4

Members
236 posts
1 minute ago, Xidax_Gamer said:

I wonder why it is that so many CV fans object to this. I guess replicating Taranto is easier than refighting the Coral Sea.

CV skill gap was one reason for the rework. Under RTS we saw far more Marianas Turkey Shoots than Tarantos or Coral Seas.

I do agree that bringing back some form of CV v. CV combat would be of benefit to all concerned.

• Cool 3

[CYNIC]
Members
2,765 posts
6,960 battles

Until anti aircraft activities pay, there's no point in anything vs aircraft.  Players want an easy button on AA -- plane and simple. (pun intended)

Edited by NoSoMo
  • Meh 2

Members
6,729 posts
21,129 battles

I haven't seen the attached video but have been playing CV, a few games per day and rarely receive any toxicity beyond the normal "I hate CV's" at the beginning of the game. I am not a fan of CV's but simply play them sometimes because they are fun to fly around in when you have your drink on and listening to some tasty jams.

I almost always type in chat at the beginning of the game, "I will try to find and keep their dd's lit" and at least once or twice during the game... "is anyone detected that shouldn't be?" And then do my best to protect the fleet as well as get some damage where I can.

Letting people know you are trying to help usually takes the hate right out as they realize you not a bot and are trying to help.

• Cool 1

[SOV]
Members
4,638 posts
9 hours ago, Skuggsja said:

That CV is "easy mode". It blows my mind how people want to say it's so easy but dont play them. They move their white line to the waterline (or wherever) and shoot. The end. The CV avoids flak, fighters, groups of ships, takes damage every 2 seconds, and every movement messes with the aiming reticle plus the enemy movement. Like it's so easy.

But wait..  Its I cant shoot back... But wait its no fun....... But.....

You are 100 percent correct.

I really love how sitting behind an island and you cant be shot at os somehow skill based! :cap_wander:

When I have gone back to playing gun ships I find it easy. Planes are more complicated and more "fun"

I am really hoping that the damage to one plabe only thing does not go in.

Another thing people dont understand is even if you dont down a plane does not mean there AA did not stop an attack. If I have to abort an attack then launch another one that is 4 or more min of time lost.

Its the same as downing the planes.

• Meh 2

[DOW]
[DOW]
Members
986 posts
33,305 battles

I've had actual cancer wished on me, told it would come for me in my life (over the course of 4 or 5 chats) as I killed a Lion who beached, I believe I was a Midway. Like the water wasn't exploding with shells around him, like in a non CV game he wouldn't be called out by the Green team for focus fire. I've been told many many times to f off by the red team, I've been told to kys (I think I know what that is) and have been reported and complimented in the same match as all of us probably have. The experience is kind of like playing a pick up game of kick ball with reform school kids; they'll trip you and claim you cheat by chewing gum too loud. It's getting pretty hilarious actually.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 2

Members
106 posts
12,043 battles

Finished a weekend playing CVs last night with about the most toxic chat ever.  I killed a Hipper and he goes off on me endlessly. I've gotten used to salty players, but in general anti-CV chat is way worse than I've ever seen - far worse than Ranked, even when I played a Shima....  Many personal insults, often from both sides in the same game!   But in this match, I was having a truly outstanding game AND we were winning (a combination I rarely found this weekend), so I was in a pretty good mood myself and just sent back a friendly "LOL."  But the toxicity was so bad that this was the first time I ever considered sending a replay into support.  

Well, in the next game that red Hipper was on my side.... Somehow he rammed me LOL ...  but I managed to give him the win.... 

[LODGE]
Beta Testers
405 posts
15,995 battles

OK, here is my two cents worth since I was in a game  with you recently where I called you out for lack of AA support. I did not call you any ugly names but did get on you about team AA support. I won't bore anyone with the particular details of that battle, but here is what sets me off about CV's since we seem to be forced to accept them in the new meta.

In ranked, I see a lot of CV's playing selfishly by farming BB's instead of spotting, especially DD's, helping kill them and providing some AA support against the opposing CV who is farming my team. The ranked meta of CV's seems to encourage the "save a star" mentality in most, but certainly not all CV's. I used to like the "save a star" idea, but now I am not too sure as I see many CV's able to play selfishly and save their star when they could have done other things to promote a team win.

I used to think Shima's and Henry's were the most selfish ranked players, farming some damage without influencing a win, but now I think CV's have that title well in hand. And yes, I can see where the toxicity since 8,0 might create an atmosphere where the CV may think " screw those toxic guys, I'm playing for me" , but it degrades ranked.

Best of luck. I do believe from your response to me in game that you are a thinking CV player, and as in most disputes the truth is probably some where in between both sides, so next time i play with you we can plan on a winning strategy and succeed. Best of luck and remember most chat is posted in the heat of the moment and not well thought out. Mine included.

• Cool 1

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,662 posts
7,053 battles

Pretty common salt in random, all chat about CVs in general, can get a bit more personal in ranked with the rare PMs...Literally had to black list a player the other day who chased me with PMs for an hour telling me what a terrible CV player I was...  Clearly from his nearly constant request to send fighters to cover him he wasn't aware of new mechanics...Ran off to one side alone in a conqueror.(of course enemy CV targeted him - he still survived entire match)  Got even more obscene late in a losing effort as I was trying to stay alive against a break-through HIV that was hunting me down, his rants for AA cover became even more frantic and quite obscene.   I'm  just am not sure most players now realize the limitations of the new CVs.. even in ranked play?    Might as well get used to it in a CV -  In current environment when you win its "Easy Mode" and when your team loses it your fault.  

• Boring 1