You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
DaggyWaggy

Fix. Auto. Pilot. Navigation. For. Carriers.

6 comments in this topic

[BB68]
Beta Testers
9 posts
3,146 battles

As I have zero control of my ship besides waypoints when performing bombing runs, can you PLEASE make auto pilot not the dumbest thing in the game. 

Its navigation ability is a massive joke.  You can take a ruler to your screen to make sure that there is no way the thing will beach you around islands, yet auto pilot will find still new and exciting ways to beach you.  It will happily collide you with allied ships and rack up friendly fire damage until you need to cancel your bombing run to fix it.  It will go in reverse when you wanted it to turn around instead.  Its a disaster.  Just last game, my CV's got beached in front of destroyers because the auto pilot refused to adjust course by 5 degress to avoid a island.  Any other ship, I could've outran them and sunk them, but im stuck with a crutch that i must use that gets me killed.  And god help you when you are trying to micromanage bombing runs and fiddle with auto pilot to get you off a island, just for it to beach you again because it cant figure out how to rudder.

Fix it.  Jesus.  At least pre CV patch, you could flip to your ship quickly and make desired course corrections.  But not post patch, or at least you haven't made it obvious HOW to flip back to your ship without canceling a bombing run.  Fixing auto pilot so that it can perform navigation easily from the map would make CVs much more fun to play.  But until then, CVs are the most annoying things to play in game and no wonder no one is playing them again.

Thinking about pre patch CVS, you could even steer the ship from the overhead.  Was nice.

Edited by DaggyWaggy

[HINON]
Members
6,589 posts
9,869 battles

WG thought the playerbase wasnt smart enough to be able to control both planes and the CV itself at the same time, or in their words "too difficult"

[BB68]
Beta Testers
9 posts
3,146 battles
11 minutes ago, tcbaker777 said:

WG thought the playerbase wasnt smart enough to be able to control both planes and the CV itself at the same time, or in their words "too difficult"

.. wat?

They think we want a DUMB auto pilot that gets you killed instead?  A good auto pilot would have no complaints.  This one is... special

[RLGN]
Members
12,043 posts
21,595 battles
18 minutes ago, DaggyWaggy said:

.. wat?

They think we want a DUMB auto pilot that gets you killed instead?  A good auto pilot would have no complaints.  This one is... special

WG was blindly obsessed with their glorious, fantastic, stupendous, reinvention of the wheel to bother with such things as an autopilot that could figure out it needed to turn around, instead of go in reverse.

The collision avoidance program (which most players I know have turned off,) seems to have no problem avoiding islands, but WG was too busy with failing miserably to deal with the carrier skill gap; likely because of a failure to consider the ‘law of unintended consequences’ when designing the new, ‘easier’ controls, to perhaps incorporate the collision avoidance program in the carrier autopilot.

By WG logic, players are too stupid to deal with all the things necessary to run even a regular ship. In that delusional world; a player should only be able to control and fire a single turret or bank of torpedoes at a time, while of course not having to worry about navigating their ship.

Don’t ever expect this issue to be resolved, because that would require WG to accept one of the core tenets of the rework was an error of the first order, pointless in the extreme, and a self-damning insult to the player base as a whole.

[BB68]
Beta Testers
9 posts
3,146 battles
8 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

WG was blindly obsessed with their glorious, fantastic, stupendous, reinvention of the wheel to bother with such things as an autopilot that could figure out it needed to turn around, instead of go in reverse.

The collision avoidance program (which most players I know have turned off,) seems to have no problem avoiding islands, but WG was too busy with failing miserably to deal with the carrier skill gap; likely because of a failure to consider the ‘law of unintended consequences’ when designing the new, ‘easier’ controls, to perhaps incorporate the collision avoidance program in the carrier autopilot.

By WG logic, players are too stupid to deal with all the things necessary to run even a regular ship. In that delusional world; a player should only be able to control and fire a single turret or bank of torpedoes at a time, while of course not having to worry about navigating their ship.

Don’t ever expect this issue to be resolved, because that would require WG to accept one of the core tenets of the rework was an error of the first order, pointless in the extreme, and a self-damning insult to the player base as a whole.

I was thinking it was time to shelf this game for good anyways.  I'm not getting much enjoyment out of it anymore and if that is WG's mentality to problems with their game, then I think the final nail of the coffin is set and ready to be hammered in.

Edited by DaggyWaggy

[RLGN]
Members
12,043 posts
21,595 battles
1 hour ago, DaggyWaggy said:

I was thinking it was time to shelf this game for good anyways.  I'm not getting much enjoyment out of it anymore and if that is WG's mentality to problems with their game, then I think the final nail of the coffin is set and ready to be hammered in.

I personally haven’t considered completely dropping the game, (I still find fun in Co-op and OP’s,) but it is true I play a lot less than I did last year.