You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Stauffenberg44

Giulio Cesare - Julius Caesar bas relief on C turret

7 comments in this topic

Members
4,199 posts
9,493 battles

I do love the extra mile the Devs go to incorporate historical detail, like the huge bas relief plaque, copper or brass I assume, on the starboard side of the C-turret barbette on the Italian battleship Giulio Cesare:

1489835612_GiulioCesarebasrelief2.jpg.2a83a2708b2564544b6d8a9c5c9b9ac1.jpg

1188628170_GiulioCesarebasrelief.jpg.0a6f1a7d23aec5afab47cf73a003c687.jpg

Undoubtedly from one of Caesar's victory columns or arches, I spent an hour or so trying to track it down without success. Probably a Gallic victory triumph.

Why did Caesar cross the Rubicon?

[Because he had a lot of Gaul]

• Cool 2

[HELLS]
Members
2,439 posts
24,102 battles

Read Caesar's ''Commentaries''. He puts his political stamp on illegality! If you can, read it in the original Latin. In my time it was high school stuff along with ''De Bello Gallico''.

Members
4,199 posts
9,493 battles
21 minutes ago, GrandAdmiral_2016 said:

Read Caesar's ''Commentaries''. He puts his political stamp on illegality! If you can, read it in the original Latin. In my time it was high school stuff along with ''De Bello Gallico''.

I wish I could; I studied Greek, Coptic and Middle Egyptian, but yes Latin is the bomb, post hoc ergo propter hoc. ;)

[and btw the Rome series was outstanding if you didn't see it]

[HELLS]
Members
2,439 posts
24,102 battles
1 hour ago, Stauffenberg44 said:

I wish I could; I studied Greek, Coptic and Middle Egyptian, but yes Latin is the bomb, post hoc ergo propter hoc. ;)

[and btw the Rome series was outstanding if you didn't see it]

Saw the whole thing. A bit too much Hollywood for my liking but not bad overall.

[HELLS]
Members
2,439 posts
24,102 battles

They dropped Greek from the high school studies cirriculum in the middle of my Freshman year, so I did not get enough of it to stick. Latin, however, lasted for two whole years, three periods a week, in Catholic high schools. You get a sound grounding in it over that length of time, especially when priests and brothers who don't spare the rod are teaching it!

Members
4,199 posts
9,493 battles
21 minutes ago, GrandAdmiral_2016 said:

especially when priests and brothers who don't spare the rod are teaching it!

I do hope you didn't intend that double entendre... for your sake.

I didn't get into uni until I was 32 (I'm 66 now);I was a highschool dropout and a man with a mission. 10 years later a PhD, pretty much useless for a career, but they can't take that away from me.

[What do you get when you cross a deconstructionist with a mafioso Don?.... An offer you can't understand.]

Members
4,199 posts
9,493 battles
1 hour ago, GrandAdmiral_2016 said:

Saw the whole thing. A bit too much Hollywood for my liking but not bad overall.

It wasn't "Hollywood" at all, it was British-American-Italian. But to each his or her own of course.