You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Sabene

Your mouse

85 comments in this topic

[-VT-]
Members
752 posts
34,259 battles

Yes, that little thing in your hand.   No, that thing in your other hand.

Right.  Now the question:

Do you use a wired mouse or a wireless mouse?

I just bought a gaming wired mouse to replace an inexpensive wireless mouse.

I thought I would see some minor improvement in-game.  I THINK I am seeing more than I thought I would.

Also, call me crazy but the port interface seems to be crisper.  Less lag.  Able to highlight tabs at the top faster.  Etc.

Anyone have a similar experience?

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
8,299 posts
12,202 battles

i have a wireless mouse, uses a USB, tbh, id rather have a wired mouse so i wouldnt have to change the battery in it every so often

• Cool 1

[PENND]
Members
355 posts
7,807 battles

Wired is always going to be better response-wise than wireless. Now in terms of actual gameplay, wired vs wireless isn't going to make a noticable difference unless you're far away from the receiver if using a wireless mouse.

[SIM]
Members
5,395 posts
8,891 battles

I used a wired World of Tanks branded Razer DeathAdder. 

[CLARE]
Members
572 posts

I use wired.

Here is an interesting though.  USB wired vs PS/2 wired. 

The reason I bring it up is because electronics hobby people (Arduino, MSP430, etc., you know who you are.) ran into an issue with USB.  They tried to use it and found out that USB protocol is really complicated.  Everyone uses USB drivers developed by M$ for HID (human interface devices, mice, keyboard, joystick, touch pad, maybe tablet for drawing), but nothing else.  That is why you only see mice and keyboards connected to arduinos.  Hobby people are just not crazy enough to spend months writing USB driver for whatever none HID device they want to hook up to their arduino.

So.  USB is really complex.  Lots of timing involved.  Lots of opportunity for bits to be flipped.  Would a simpler system, PS/2, be faster?

Members
563 posts
16,124 battles

Years ago I got a wireless keyboard/mouse set and it usually worked ok, but occasionally you’d get some input lag, especially with the mouse.  Electronic interference I guess, but I’m no physicist.  After a while I got tired of it and got a wired mechanical keyboard and wired mouse and have used them since.  I think I’ve replaced the mouse one time, but that keyboard has been a real warrior....had it more than 6 years and it’s still going strong.  

Edited by RumpledSteelskins

[-VT-]
Members
781 posts
9,352 battles

I have seen wireless mice tested to be almost indistinguishable from its wired counterpart, just cost was a hurdle.

[DRAH]
Members
386 posts
9,721 battles

Go to a serious PC shop and all the expensive gaming mice, they all have tails. Round here the cheep trash mice at the discount store are all wireless junk and the expensive multibuton gaming mice? they all have Wires. The biggest reason isn't input lag, its the mouse battery dying in the middle of a competitive gaming session. Be it Warships or Warcraft the last thing you want is to hear over voice-chat that a teammates mouse has died.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
5,157 posts
5,666 battles
6 minutes ago, Ellyh said:

Go to a serious PC shop and all the expensive gaming mice, they all have tails. Round here the cheep trash mice at the discount store are all wireless junk and the expensive multibuton gaming mice? they all have Wires. The biggest reason isn't input lag, its the mouse battery dying in the middle of a competitive gaming session. Be it Warships or Warcraft the last thing you want is to hear over voice-chat that a teammates mouse has died.

Last wireless mouse I had ran out of power in the middle of a Molten Core raid in which I was loot master.  Never even considered a wireless mouse again after that.

[HINON]
Members
3,268 posts
27,679 battles

wired mouse for me too, I feel like I can make finer adjustments in my aiming

[CNO]
Members
6,079 posts
18,555 battles

Keep in mind that a wired mouse has its own tactile limit.  The wire itself has inertia as well as friction and flexing force.  There is no way to eliminate these factors.  You might be able to adjust movement style to accommodate it.  But it's still there...unavoidable.  A wireless mouse has ZERO tail inertial, ZERO tail friction, and ZERO tail flex...because it has no tail.  To each his own, but the inertia, friction and flex of a wired mouse affects my play. This is the main reason I go wireless.

[5D]
Members
1,102 posts
14,304 battles

Serious gamer use a wire mouse with adjustable DPI , I got a razer deathader 

Beta Testers
876 posts
6 minutes ago, Soshi_Sone said:

Keep in mind that a wired mouse has its own tactile limit.  The wire itself has inertia as well as friction and flexing force.  There is no way to eliminate these factors.  You might be able to adjust movement style to accommodate it.  But it's still there...unavoidable.  A wireless mouse has ZERO tail inertial, ZERO tail friction, and ZERO tail flex...because it has no tail.  To each his own, but the inertia, friction and flex of a wired mouse affects my play. This is the main reason I go wireless.

not if you're using a trackball :Smile_teethhappy:

[TBW]
Members
10,583 posts
18,120 battles
22 minutes ago, Helstrem said:

Last wireless mouse I had ran out of power in the middle of a Molten Core raid in which I was loot master.  Never even considered a wireless mouse again after that.

Mine warns me when it gets down to 5% and then still lasts another week and I use it all day everyday.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[YARRR]
Members
735 posts
5,955 battles

Way back when I was playing Eve Online I lost a very expensive ship because one of my team mates had his wireless mouse die just as we warped in on a bad guy.

The only upside was he lost an even more expensive ship.  :Smile_trollface:

[FOXEH]
Members
1,935 posts
12,445 battles

Wireless Logitech MX Master.  

BTW, there is a Logitech 518 Legendary edition coming out, that used to be a very popular mouse in 2009 or so.  

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,026 posts
27,504 battles

Wired like my keyboard. Those wireless mice feel to heavy in my hand and I have seen too many raid screwups in MMO because one of the team didn't check their battery before we start.

My wife and I use the Razer Lancehead Tourment Edition for our games. Wish my company would pay for one for office computer.

[ONE38]
Members
3,781 posts
13,344 battles
5 hours ago, Soshi_Sone said:

There's no practical way to eliminate friction between the mouse itself and mouse pad and no way to eliminate air drag on your hand and the mouse, either. It also doesn't matter.

Practically speaking, with a good quality mouse that has a nylon braided cord inertia, friction or flexing force isn't a noticeable or meaningful factor.

Edited by MrKilmister
  • Cool 1