You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
JEFFREY_LEI

Can you play the NA server in Asia?

29 comments in this topic

[INTEL]
[INTEL]
Members
7,677 posts
35,854 battles

Yes if your ping is good enough.

We have several players from NZ, Australia, Taiwan and Singapore that I know.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,129 posts
14,735 battles

You will need an NA account and the NA client.

Members
1,764 posts
26,543 battles
44 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

You will need an NA account and the NA client.

Nope... you can use a single client for the different servers:

Edited by theLaalaa

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,129 posts
14,735 battles
17 minutes ago, theLaalaa said:

Nope... you can use a single client for the different servers:

True but if they are ever on a different patch you are stuck with the region your client is for.

Members
1,764 posts
26,543 battles
Just now, BrushWolf said:

True but if they are ever on a different patch you are stuck with the region your client is for.

True, but the patches are generally less than 24 hours apart. I used to play the European server with my North American client while the NA server was patching. I did this while monitoring the NA forums for any problems with the patch. When all seemed good, I updated my NA client. The Asia, EU, and RU clients were usually patched by my next session, so my client and all servers were on the same iteration of the game by then.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,129 posts
14,735 battles
3 minutes ago, theLaalaa said:

True, but the patches are generally less than 24 hours apart. I used to play the European server with my North American client while the NA server was patching. I did this while monitoring the NA forums for any problems with the patch. When all seemed good, I updated my NA client. The Asia, EU, and RU clients were usually patched by my next session, so my client and all servers were on the same iteration of the game by then.

Except for events that are regional. Speaking of playing on the other servers, I haven't been on any of them for a long time.

[WORX]
Members
11,409 posts
19,183 battles

No, but NA/EU players are defecting to the Chinese sever since they've not gotten to the new CV patch of 0.8.0.

So if you wan to play pre-cluster disaster of patch 0.8.0.1 to 0.8.4 then the Chinese server is for you... For now

[WOLF3]
Members
28,199 posts
24,552 battles

There was somebody I divisioned with for a while who was from Vietnam and played NA server instead of Asia Server.  He had a far better connection to play NA server than my other buddy who plays from Kentucky.

I've played with a bunch of people from outside the Americas.  Vietnam, UK, etc., even someone from Russia.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[SOAR]
Members
317 posts
5,141 battles

Seeing the recent influx of chinese and korean typing in the chat window these days, I'd wager yes.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,129 posts
14,735 battles
2 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

There was somebody I divisioned with for a while who was from Vietnam and played NA server instead of Asia Server.  He had a far better connection to play NA server than my other buddy who plays from Kentucky.

That is a sad comment about the state of internet in the US. You do not have to go far from a city before your internet options drop to dial up, DSL that is maxed out at 3 Mb up and 850Kb up, and satellite. We have a top tier backbone but it is the last mile where are system struggles

[INTEL]
Members
13,459 posts
37,304 battles
10 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

4 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

That is a sad comment about the state of internet in the US. You do not have to go far from a city before your internet options drop to dial up, DSL that is maxed out at 3 Mb up and 850Kb up, and satellite. We have a top tier backbone but it is the last mile where are system struggles

I live in Taiwan, played since the tail end of closed beta. The government here runs the internet and fiberized large numbers of rural and mountain communities years ago. It's generally a lot better than what you get in the US. 

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
28,199 posts
24,552 battles
16 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

I live in Taiwan, played since the tail end of closed beta. The government here runs the internet and fiberized large numbers of rural and mountain communities years ago. It's generally a lot better than what you get in the US. 

US ISPs are just milking whatever they can of old networks.  They really don't want to spend the money improving it.  Just provide old sh*tty service with unreliable access for many.

23 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

The guy from Kentucky constantly disconnects, loads late, etc.  He knows the problem is his end, there's nothing he can do.  Meanwhile our guy from Vietnam loads first and almost never disconnected.  Hell, he'd load earlier than me and I was playing with a good connection here in San Diego.

The guy playing from Communist Vietnam has better internet service than either of us here in the Capitalist Dream in the United States.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[FML]
Members
4,089 posts
15,965 battles
2 hours ago, JEFFREY_LEI said:

*title*

Absolutely you can. I do. Only real issue is that you have to deal with Americans ;-)

[FML]
Members
4,089 posts
15,965 battles
21 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

Can’t do that in America. Can’t have socialiZed infrastructure, Socialized internet nor Solialized medicine, cos having stuff that works well is anti-freedom. EOD

• Funny 1
  • Meh 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,129 posts
14,735 battles
1 hour ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

US ISPs are just milking whatever they can of old networks.  They really don't want to spend the money improving it.  Just provide old sh*tty service with unreliable access for many.

There is next to no competition between providers and where they do overlap in service area they operate as a shared monopoly.

Beta Testers
876 posts
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

That's true.  I moved to the mountains after retirement for privacy and was forced to downgrade to DSL.  I did get a little lucky with 24MB but it does go out at times.  A friend gets 3-5MB.  

The sad thing is that I'm not that far behind a nice development which has high speed fiber :Smile_facepalm:

Members
1,660 posts
3 hours ago, JEFFREY_LEI said:

*title*

I don't think there is a NA server in Asia unfortunately, so no.  You can play the Asia server in Asia or you can play on the NA server from Asia, but that is it.

:cap_tea:

Sorry, I couldnt resist.  :)

[Y81]
Members
761 posts
3,809 battles

I am in Australia( east coast just outside of Melbourne,Victoria ),and have both NA and ASIA accounts.

Most of the time I have a better connection to the NA server than the ASIA one.

[PVE]
Beta Testers
129 posts
11,719 battles
9 minutes ago, BanditSE1977 said:

I am in Australia( east coast just outside of Melbourne,Victoria ),and have both NA and ASIA accounts.

Ditto, except for the Melbourne part.

Beta Testers
876 posts
12 minutes ago, BanditSE1977 said:

really? that's interesting

[Y81]
Members
761 posts
3,809 battles
2 minutes ago, Capt_of_Satisfaction said:

really? that's interesting

Not sure if its still the issue,but a few months after OBT ( when I was getting a very good connection to the ASIA server at 65ms ping ),apparently real ships kept dropping anchor on the undersea cables to Singapore.This resulted in bad lag and ping for over 6 months or so,and even when it settled out,the connection rarely gets better than the one to NA.I'll have to take notice again,but I think it usually matches the 105ms I get to NA.

10 minutes ago, Jack_Tar said:

Ditto, except for the Melbourne part.

From discussions we were having on the ASIA forums a few years ago,it seemed that the probelm was with Telstra mainly ( or I guess their cables ),another play who lived about 15km from me who was on Optus was having no issues.

[SLDR]
Members
285 posts
11,162 battles
3 hours ago, UltimateNewbie said:

Can’t do that in America. Can’t have socialiZed infrastructure, Socialized internet nor Solialized medicine, cos having stuff that works well is anti-freedom. EOD

I don't want to turn this political.  But today's Red States would have never made it into the 21st century, had there not been the Interstate Highway System in the 1950s and the Rural Electrification in the 1920s and 1930s, paid for by the federal government.  They were exactly socialized infrastructure.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,536 posts
12,810 battles

Yes.  I was on work travel to Korea a week or so ago, and I was able to play on my NA account with no problems from the hotel wireless connection.