You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
CAPTMUDDXX

What a difference a new compu makes.

24 comments in this topic

[MUDDX]
Banned
8,144 posts
23,236 battles

I have been using barely adequate compus for these games since 2010. One died in Dec 2015 and its replacement began dying in April.

Now a fortunate turn of events has made it possible to buy a new one. FPS went from 30s to over 70, the graphics are great and the better control response allows me to target better and score more hits.

• Cool 7

[BEARS]
[BEARS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,191 posts
12,707 battles
5 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

I have been using barely adequate compus for these games since 2010. One died in Dec 2015 and its replacement began dying in April.

Now a fortunate turn of events has made it possible to buy a new one. FPS went from 30s to over 70, the graphics are great and the better control response allows me to target better and score more hits.

Groovy !  Congratulations . I have been very happy with the new set up I got back in Feb. of last year . Most especially since I still play WoT ( every day almost but usually just 2 to 5 battles ) and the HD client for it is pretty great looking with this rig . I have gotten some pretty ( to an old fart like me at least ) amazing screenshots from it .

:Smile_honoring:

[SIDE]
Members
4,939 posts

I am conflicted on this news.

On the one hand I am happy you have a nicer and more responsive rig which should increase your enjoyment of the game. So, yay!!

On the other hand I am saddened by the fact your aim will improve, particularly if you favor laser accurate ships. So, booo!!

Lets make a deal. I promise to be more happy than sad if you promise to use the newfound accuracy only on the targets that are red in *my* minimap. M’kay??

Edited by thebigblue
  • Funny 2

[RLGN]
Members
14,965 posts
26,497 battles
25 minutes ago, Chien_Lu_Anderman said:

...since I still play WoT...

...you poor soul, suffering so bravely... :Smile_hiding:

• Funny 1

[SHAFT]
Members
815 posts
18,068 battles
37 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

Congrats! But you know you gotta share the specs for the tech hounds out here.

[PQUOD]
Members
2,427 posts
5,380 battles
41 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

Grats on the new rig. This game looks great turned all the way up eh? First thing i did when i got my new comp earlier this year was to max everything out.

Happy hunting!:Smile_honoring:

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,034 battles
1 hour ago, Chien_Lu_Anderman said:

since I still play WoT

33 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

He's old and suffers from occasional bouts of leafy green fever.

• Funny 2

[USNR]
Members
297 posts
3,902 battles

I can totally understand this! I went from a core duo with a 1G graphics card to an Alienware X51 R2 desktop (upgraded to a 1060 TI 6G, and 16G of ram). It makes a world of difference. 

[WOLF1]
Members
6,002 posts
44 minutes ago, Rgtx1121 said:

I can totally understand this! I went from a core duo with a 1G graphics card to an Alienware X51 R2 desktop (upgraded to a 1060 TI 6G, and 16G of ram). It makes a world of difference. 

I had a 2012 6-core i-series Xeon, 16G RAM, 4 2012-era 640GB hard drives, and just an old 750ti GPU.

Got a new 6-core i7-8700 3.2GHz CPU, 5 GB GTX 1070, 32GB RAM, with a 256 GB SSD, and a 2 TB HD for other storage.  

Before someone asks, yes, the i7 is not overkill for me.  I run VMs for dev/testing when I'm not gaming on it.  It just works really nice for gaming, too.

• Cool 1

[LSNB]
Members
1,626 posts
4,780 battles
1 hour ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Hard to give up something you've spent so much time on.

[USNR]
Members
297 posts
3,902 battles
6 minutes ago, mavfin87 said:

I had a 2012 6-core i-series Xeon, 16G RAM, 4 2012-era 640GB hard drives, and just an old 750ti GPU.

Got a new 6-core i7-8700 3.2GHz CPU, 5 GB GTX 1070, 32GB RAM, with a 256 GB SSD, and a 2 TB HD for other storage.  

Before someone asks, yes, the i7 is not overkill for me.  I run VMs for dev/testing when I'm not gaming on it.  It just works really nice for gaming, too.

That is a solid setup for sure. I am debating on whether to upgrade to a 1070. My rig has the I7-4790 (Haswell) running at 3.6G, but overlocked with to 4.0. There is no point in arguing what is "overkill", why not get the best system you can, as technical requirements for games continue to rise as time goes forward. 

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Members
6,002 posts
2 minutes ago, Rgtx1121 said:

That is a solid setup for sure. I am debating on whether to upgrade to a 1070. My rig has the I7-4790 (Haswell) running at 3.6G, but overlocked with to 4.0. There is no point in arguing what is "overkill", why not get the best system you can, as technical requirements for games continue to rise as time goes forward. 

There's always some guy out there saying that you don't need an i7, it's not worth the money, etc.  As you say, build what you can, it'll grow into it.  It's my money to spend anyway.

[RLGN]
Members
14,965 posts
26,497 battles
3 hours ago, destawaits said:

Hard to give up something you've spent so much time on.

Understandable.

I think I started mid/late 2016...

...I have less than 1,500 games total, and haven’t played since last August.

If I could somehow convert all the ‘value’ I have in it to Warships I would do so in a heartbeat. I have several different tanks I like, and have occasionally had fun in, (lol, six kills and top score in a KV-1 because I kept getting tracked, and so just sat there playing pillbox as the Reds fed me targets.)

If Tanks had PvE I’d play that, but constantly getting farmed by drivers with maxed Tanks and crews, without the chance to learn for more than for a few minutes a game, make it not worth the resultant frustration and grief.

[5D]
Members
1,102 posts
14,324 battles

When there no lag ,it make a difference , this Is why him gonna probably get a 3900x when they are available but I don't only play wows in my case

[WOLFG]
Members
30,800 posts
9,354 battles
On Sunday, June 09, 2019 at 1:57 PM, Kirov_Six said:

There's always some guy out there saying that you don't need an i7, it's not worth the money, etc.  As you say, build what you can, it'll grow into it.  It's my money to spend anyway.

Exactly.

Although, I know that unless you need umpteen cores, a high-end Ryzen outperforms a Threadripper, which, by the time games need that many cores, will probably be old and slow anyway.

As I understand it, it's like using a dump truck to haul a yard of topsoil through an urban centre. The dumptruck hauls way more than you need, and doesn't negotiate traffic as quickly as a pickup would. But if you had to haul a lot of topsoil, the dump truck would be a better choice, as you would need fewer (even though slower) trips.

[WOLFG]
Members
30,800 posts
9,354 battles
On Sunday, June 09, 2019 at 5:48 PM, dad003 said:

When there no lag ,it make a difference , this Is why him gonna probably get a 3900x when they are available but I don't only play wows in my case

I just got a 2700x, and I can't get CPU usage over 45% on anything lol.

[TDRB]
Members
5,154 posts
13,741 battles
On 6/9/2019 at 10:32 AM, CAPTMUDDXX said:

I'm glad you were able to get a new computer. So much changes over the course of a few years in gaming it makes it hard to keep the graphics & frame rate at an enjoyable level on older machines.

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
12,174 posts
17,223 battles
On 6/9/2019 at 8:32 AM, CAPTMUDDXX said:

Grats ! Yeah it is soooo much better when you have a decent machine.

Members
1,578 posts
22,927 battles
On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 10:32 AM, CAPTMUDDXX said:

Glad to hear you are enjoying yourself