Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Gunga_Dinner

0.8.5 AA, CVs, and a DD

7 comments in this topic

Members
1,660 posts

Greetings Captains.

I have been on the PTS these past few days, checking out different things.  The population is small, the queue waits sometimes long, 5:38 seconds is the longest I've had for a random battle(Yes, I know it says it can't be over 5 minutes and I am surprised/dubious as you, but it happened).  There are lots of changes to try and pay attention to, lots of little things.  What I want to bring attention to everyone is this last battle I was in.  The starting line up:

Akat01.thumb.jpg.6cb60c63059680492367cfd30adc74c2.jpg

Tier VIII battle, two CVs aside, CVs are top tier and only Tier VIIIs.  Three BBs aside.  We had one Cruiser and one DD, they had two DDs.  The battle went well, our Shchors died first to torpedoes and then their Akatsuki shortly followed him to the bottom of the sea.  It was a good battle and yes, my fleet won.  Planes were everywhere it seemed, BBs were lumbering around, DDs darting and dodging, and it came down to the four CVs and little old me in my Akat.  I had the implacable spotted and was faced with three choices:

1. Do nothing or do nothing while keeping the Implacabvle spotted and ride out the last ~8 minutes of the game as we were slightly ahead on points as the Implacable actively searched for me.

2.  Stern chase the Implacable and keep it spotted and try to sink it(it was at about 1/4 health, maybe 1/3). 

3.  Step into the red cap and stop them getting points while we continued to accrue ours.

I chose to do a combination of 2 and 3.  I stern  chased the Implacable as I was lobbing shells at him with my forward turrets to try and draw his attention away from attacking my CVs while also pausing their cap points.  Even after smoke and dodging, I succumbed to the Implacable.  This after the Implacable out and out ignored me and my efforts to sink him with my main battery.  Once spotted, I turned on the AA and did some damage, but shot down zero planes.  I hit the Implacable with 10 shells and did a total of 355 damage with a single shell.  The green CVs rode the clock to victory as we won on points as time expired.

Akat02.thumb.jpg.6022c81527619c5b445e79471d5e8161.jpg

Again, this was the PTS for 0.8.5 and this was an interesting battle due to the fleet composition.  Top tier CVs, no AA Cruisers, only seven ships a side.  What I observed in this battle:

1.  Watching the CVs attack ship after ship, the new AA feels better and I am sure when down tiered, the CVs are/feel brutally punished, but when they are top tier it doesn't seem to make that much practical difference.

2.  The new minimap is okay, but there are bugs in it.

3.  If you are down tiered to the CV in an IJN destroyer, there is still little you can do other than try and avoid detection unless you are fortunate enough to find yourself in front of the CV and it is running at your torps.  Your main battery is still useless at range and unless you're in an Aki or Haru, your AA basically tickles the planes, lol. :Smile_playing:

4.  No CV was in danger of being deplaned until the end of the battle when it was CVs -v- CVs and they had no choice but to try and sink each other.

5.  Sitting there watching this battle, was like watching something in slow motion as the CVs went through and systematically focused down ship after ship.  My three kills were accomplished on targets the Lexi had already worn down to near death.  It definitely felt like the rest of us were just along for the ride.

6.  The Red Akat had an awesome single salvo on me and touched me for ~5k damage, kudos to him.

7.  This battle was a bit of an anomaly I think, as far as fleet composition went, and I am not saying CVs are universally overpowered, but just like any ship, get favorable MM and you'll dominate the battle space.  I suppose this is to make it up to Tier VIII CVs for their Tier X battles!

Thank you and enjoy your day Captains!

Keep your powder dry and may our wives and sweethearts never meet!

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
671 posts
2,548 battles

@Gunga_Dinner

Not trying to be "that guy" but some of your remarks can't be said as good feedback mostly because it was a 7v7 with 2 CVs per side.

For example:

1 hour ago, Gunga_Dinner said:

1.  Watching the CVs attack ship after ship, the new AA feels better and I am sure when down tiered, the CVs are/feel brutally punished, but when they are top tier it doesn't seem to make that much practical difference.

The CVs will suffer and the bottom tier CV will be unplayable until enemy ship's spread out, because in a 12v12 1CV match, there are 11 other "targets" that will mostly sail in groups and shred your planes.

Tier 8 CV will be hell.

4.  No CV was in danger of being deplaned until the end of the battle when it was CVs -v- CVs and they had no choice but to try and sink each other.

Again, there were only 5 targets that didn't stick together and had crap AA (T7 ship's AA is very weak compared to 8)

5.  Sitting there watching this battle, was like watching something in slow motion as the CVs went through and systematically focused down ship after ship.  My three kills were accomplished on targets the Lexi had already worn down to near death.  It definitely felt like the rest of us were just along for the ride.

Almost 33% of the match were CVs, on 12v12 the CV is actually the support of your team.

I hit the Implacable with 10 shells and did a total of 355 damage with a single shell

Try not to hit the deck armour, specially on the T8 Implacable.

• Meh 1

Members
1,660 posts
4 minutes ago, ALROCHA said:

The CVs will suffer and the bottom tier CV will be unplayable until enemy ship's spread out, because in a 12v12 1CV match, there are 11 other "targets" that will mostly sail in groups and shred your planes.

Tier 8 CV will be hell.

I very much agree and why I said bottom tier CVs will feel punished.  Tier VIII CV play will be the same hell it is for everyone else.  Tier VIII sucks for everyone.

9 minutes ago, ALROCHA said:

Again, there were only 5 targets that didn't stick together and had crap AA (T7 ship's AA is very weak compared to 8)

Yes, but this was for those who might be worried the new AA mechanic would mean they'll be deplanned quicker than they are now and/or by every ship they try to attack.  It was also to highlight that in the next version the CVs are still irrelevant to the AA effort AND only attack each other when there isn't anything else to attack.

I posted this specifically because it wasn't a 12v12 battle and it gave a good look at how CV play might look for the second half of a 12v12 battle.  It also gave a good look at how planes interacted with the new AA since there was so little shared AA between ships.

My opinion?  The new AA exacerbates the frustrations of the current system instead of any meaningful change.  Overall the new AA will 'feel' better, but bottom tier CVs will get deplaned quicker, and top tier CVs will punish lower tier ships in the end game.

As for shooting CVs and not hitting their decks, 1. I was trying and 2.  When in a DD and shooting at range at a ship you can't catch, your shell arcs make the deck about the only thing you will hit.

Members
1,660 posts
6 minutes ago, Pugilistic said:

The postapocalyptic future awaits

Lol.  That future already came!!!!  Maybe 0.8 was the apocalypse and we just don't realize it yet!  The new ships/Captains/fuel tokens are all that is left of the CV rework...lol.

[A-I-M]
Members
3,495 posts
23,182 battles
2 minutes ago, Gunga_Dinner said:

Lol.  That future already came!!!!  Maybe 0.8 was the apocalypse and we just don't realize it yet!  The new ships/Captains/fuel tokens are all that is left of the CV rework...lol.

Yes, it was. The currently contemplated changes and PTS will determine whether WoWS will recover or not. 

[PAK]
Members
12 posts

WOW is like most online games, it is an arms race.  Players attempt to adapt to new tactics.  However this is the first time in my long memory that I have observed a single class cause so much consternation.  There are players, fanatical players (like me) and causal players.  Some just want to kill time, others like myself, enjoy matching wits with other players.   I have heard so much about WOW being a community.  Typically those comments are coming from the basement dwellers whose Mothers wish them to go outside so they can clean and wash their stinking underwear.  However, there are people like myself who play for that challenge.  Off work, play some.  CV's are an interesting experiment whose time has to be ended.   Limit their aircraft, let them decide early on what to commit to doing.  Put strategy back into the CV play.  Simply limiting their aircraft spawn time does not fix the havoc they create in a match.  Other classes in particular my favorite the Destroyer have and continue to be adversely affected.  

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this