You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Bigs_Destroyer_of_Worlds

Having trouble with Soyuz

10 comments in this topic

Members
78 posts
12,542 battles

Hey all,

Been thoroughly enjoying the Russian BB line so far. However, I seem to hit a wall with the Soyuz... i just can't seem to get this thing to perform well like the Vlad or Sinop or Lenin. 

Been trying to go for targets 10-12km out, but i can count on one hand how many shots Ive hit...

Are the guns suppose to be used more as a shotgun like the Izmail? They certainly seem to miss the mark a lot when aimed at the waterline! 

Any advice would help.  

P.S. Yes, I have aiming mods 1.

Beta Testers
288 posts
3,709 battles

Just pikced it up today,  have only played 4 games in her, but it does *seem* that the dispersion kicks in around 8km, whereas the Vlads seemed to work at 10km. 

I've gutted a couple of ships around 8km, and out of 27 shots fired, had 1 citadel, 2 penetrations and a bounce on a perfectly broadside Kreml at 10.1 km. Everything else straddled it. 

Very small sample size though.

Members
78 posts
12,542 battles

Further update.

This ship is a very strange one to play overall. 

It is a ambusher...you MUST get close in order to win fights in her, otherwise you just get HE spammed and outgunned by everything else. 

When you are within 8km of targets, she is king, but getting there is difficult with her concealment. 

She really is a oddball for the russian line. I went back and played vlad and lenin just to compare the main guns, and soyuz definitely falls behind them in terms of accuracy. Essentially...you can either spam the guns and see what sticks, or you can try to quietly creep into a good position and then let her rip ships in half. 

Either way, she isn't the easiest of ships to play in my opinion. 

Members
359 posts
4,365 battles

24 games in with Soyuz, averaging 95k damage but only a 45% WR.  The WR may be due in part to the fact that I play late at night due to my work schedule, when every team seems to be of weekend quality.  I disliked Vlad - only played 2 games and hated it enough that I sold it.  Probably should have given Vlad more of a chance, but my first maybe 10 games in Soyuz were great - had fun, did lots of damage, won a bunch.  Since then its been much more of a slog for whatever reason.  I am close to unlocking Kremlin though. 

Soyuz seems inconsistent to me and I can't put my finger on why.  I've had games where RNJesus smiles on me and every salvo does big chunks of damage, and other games where I hit only one shell out of 9 fired at a Musashi <6km away.  Any 6" cruiser with IFHE will ruin your day in a hurry, and there are a ton of them in Soyuz' bracket.  Her armor seems strong, but I've eaten citadels at angles that have surprised me... guess I have to be more aware of angling enough.  I figure I've got maybe another 5-6 games in Soyuz before I unlock Kremlin... would like to really figure out Soyuz before I move up though; get her to perform more consistently.

[Y0L0]
Members
9,720 posts
12,806 battles

SS is pretty dang strong.      just upgraded from stock hull and stock gun range and still totally rocks.     it is very tanky bote and guns hit hard.   first match since upgrade.     only played 7 match, but I am impressed.

shot-19.07.12_17.00.36-0760.jpg

Beta Testers
13 posts
10,755 battles

frankly, I was very interested in Kremlin, so I tried to grind it first,

and I also experienced the same thing with soyuz , in my opinion, this ship should be given a little more decrease gun reload ( maybe like 28 - 29s )  maybe a  give more little speed ( maybe 29 - 31 knots ) and hydro, considering this ship like that is a type of close combat fighter that sometimes needs hit and run tactics, so guess thats all for this time, good luck and enjoy the game 

[SPTR]
Members
26,642 posts
12,878 battles

hmm how do you have her and the commander setup?

Soyuz is good I had this small narrow window of opportunity to shoot at a myoko that thinks he was well hidden behind an island 12.4km away from me(his rear half of the ship was sticking out) so I shot my rear gun and to my surprise watch as 3 unusually tightly grouped shells barely clears the gap of the islands between him and me and score 2 cits and a regular pen effectively removing two thirds of his full health and I laughed.

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,521 posts
4,250 battles

I had the same trouble with mine, I really wanted to enjoy Russia's response to the Iowas and Yamatos, but I really couldn't get her to work for me. I played a handful of matches and skipped right to the Kremlin, which I just can't stop playing. 

[HITHG]
Members
6 posts
678 battles
On 6/18/2019 at 10:00 PM, Uncle_Lou said:

Soyuz seems inconsistent to me and I can't put my finger on why. 

I have the same impression of of Soyuz.   When it hits it is glorious but I never know when that hit will come.   I just can seem to find a range or an aimpoint where the guns behave constantly.   The rest of the line to this point I've enjoyed very much but am slowly struggling (failing through) the Soyuz.   I know its me.  I know I'm missing some grain of knowledge that will allow me to do drive this ship closer to its potential but thus far I've let it down over and over again.   Makes me sad :(    Any and all tips will be greatly appreciated!