You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
BanCVComplainers

AP Dive Bombers. Can we get a how it works?

7 comments in this topic

[NH]
Members
1,792 posts

Im struggling a bit AP bombers to get consistent citadels with certain ships. Seems drop height is a bit of a mystery as to what effect it actually has. Best drop locations and how much armor its going through when it drops on the superstructure. The really inconsistent ships are French BBs, The Izumo and to a degree American BBs.

Edited by Dr_Citadel

Members
1,226 posts
5,930 battles

In short unless you are playing Haku or to a lesser extent Enterprise they don't consistently. 

[B_Y_F]
Members
590 posts
14,325 battles

In my test for the GZ AP bomb, I found that AP bomb might be treat as AP shells which gain velocity over time while in air.

This will mean that  AP bomb gains penetration when drop higher.  But this also means you might over pen light armor target (basically all CL and some CA)because your bomb travel too fast (punch a harmless hole at the bottom of the boat) and did not explode inside the citedal.

In my test, French BB only citadel by high drop. And as you said, very RNG. For USN BB, they get citadel by mid to low drop if bomb hit the deck directly, and by high drop even bombs hit superstructure (This maybe due to impact angel though). For Izumo, also only occasionally high drop works. My guess is that your bomb need the high drop speed to reach citedal before exploded in the casemate because that armor deck always arm the bomb.

[AXANR]
Members
209 posts
3,411 battles

Lets nerf Some ships please so that they can consistently be sunk by AP bomb planes...

[SOAR]
Members
317 posts
5,141 battles
4 hours ago, Dr_Citadel said:

Im struggling a bit AP bombers to get consistent citadels with certain ships. Seems drop height is a bit of a mystery as to what effect it actually has. Best drop locations and how much armor its going through when it drops on the superstructure. The really inconsistent ships are French BBs, The Izumo and to a degree American BBs.

They no longer work in any way that you can repeat with mostly success. They'll usually penetrate for laughable damage (600-900) or bounce off like a bumper car, and occasionally citadel.

I've tried all 3 flavor of AP bombers, IJN, Big E, and GZ, and all are so laughably RNG based that I use AP bombers as a last resort. Even when you DO cit with them, it's a big so what? You'll do more damage with a regular barrage of any DD guns than you will with AP cits, while at least HE bombers have more consistency with the benefit of fires .

A lot has to do with the POS dive pattern they've switched to but again, RNG will screw you no matter what.

GZ seems to be the worst offender, with bombs falling literally outside of the circle by a huge margin, and missing an entire BB, while Enterprise seems to be the best of the lot.

Long story short: Regardless of your skill level, AP bombers are a bad joke now, best left to the side unless you're deplaned and have nothing else, or feel like flying across the map, only to get 0 damage from a failed mechanic, and lose a bunch of your planes to do so.

[REVY]
Members
2,505 posts
13,451 battles
4 hours ago, Dr_Citadel said:

Most likely, if you aim for and hit the superstructure, you will not get a citadel. The superstructure 'arms' the bomb and it explodes before getting deep into the ship.

RU ships have little superstructure, so are fairly easy to citadel with AP. With the US and French ships, you are going to want to try and hit around the forward turrets, or the aft turrets. No superstructure there, and you can possibly take out a turret.

In the case of Izumo, again, you want to aim for that deck around the turrets.hitting her turrets, or even the limited structure she has isn't going to pen her.

As for the drop height, I've found when the target reticle is has become small enough it will fit inside the width of the ship is the best to drop. But you should practice against the bots in Co_op. Practicing your drops and getting them right will definitly help you in Randoms.

[ARGSY]
Members
21,680 posts
15,738 battles

I asked Farazelleth last time I watched his stream. The way he explained it to me, there's a phase of the dive attack where your planes are nosing over, then they dive at a constant angle, then they pull out at the end. You have to drop the bombs before the pullout begins.