Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
kgh52

a good Newport defense team

14 comments in this topic

[TDRB]
Members
5,148 posts
13,741 battles

Defense of Newport rivals Ultimate Frontier as the most difficult operation to win with a random team IMO. Last night I was part of a random team that made it look easy.

The next battle was back to reality, a very ugly loss. This morning was a 1 star win. I think I will quit while I have a winning record this week.

[WOLFC]
Members
171 posts
16,540 battles

Since it came back this week I have 5 starred it, 4 starred it, 3 starred it, 1 starred it and failed it multiple times. I have noticed when it fails I am invariably the top player on the scoreboard in a CV.

Make of that what you will.

[SPTR]
Members
27,185 posts
16,907 battles

You now the op is too hard for random teams when the dds of the 2nd wave group gets passed the outer defensive perimeter.

[SYN]
Members
8,256 posts
14,111 battles

OPs can be difficult? 

Spoiler

I would never play OP with a completly random team, so I really wouldn't know.

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers
3,241 posts
9,676 battles
1 hour ago, aardvark7734 said:

Since it came back this week I have 5 starred it, 4 starred it, 3 starred it, 1 starred it and failed it multiple times. I have noticed when it fails I am invariably the top player on the scoreboard in a CV.

Make of that what you will.

A CV has the single largest potential of influencing success in Newport.

[WOLFC]
Members
171 posts
16,540 battles
13 minutes ago, Vader_Sama said:

Agreed. Which is why I've pretty much switched to playing them almost exclusively in this Op rather than rotating through every ship class (like I do in every other Op).

Edited by aardvark7734

[TBW]
Members
10,565 posts
18,071 battles

It's nice when a plan comes together unfortunately in Newport the plan seldom comes together.

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
488 posts
22,014 battles

The rewards for the average battle are not worth the time spent IMO.  Especially with Honor and Glory right now, I feel I can do better playing multiple mid-tier co-op battles.

And, if I want to be frustrated with my team mates, then I can always go play Ranked.  :Smile_smile:

[A-D-F]
Members
2,108 posts
7,629 battles
4 hours ago, Vader_Sama said:

I watched @Lightninger's video of your Newport gameplay.  While I found it helpful, I was wondering if you might be able to provide your own commentary on it.  Any tips/tricks for attacking destroyers would be of particular help.

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers
3,241 posts
9,676 battles
43 minutes ago, Captain_Slattery said:

I watched @Lightninger's video of your Newport gameplay.  While I found it helpful, I was wondering if you might be able to provide your own commentary on it.  Any tips/tricks for attacking destroyers would be of particular help.

Torpedoes are the single most effective means of taking out a DD in operations because of the raw alpha that is has particularly Ryujo.

It takes lots of practice to line up a perfect torpedo drop on a moving DD. Basically you need to be as perpendicular to the DD as possible and find the right lead to ensure that both torpedoes hits. Ranger and Furious are tougher to use on torping a DD because of the slow torpedoes,  but still possible to land.

Ranger has option of using dive bombs for the DDs that can do a hefty amount of damage, but not as much as landing a torp or two at once. Rocket planes across all tier 6 CVs are a waste of time to use. You are short on time in these ops and cannot be using the rockets trying to do at best a few thousand points of damage from one entire squad or in hopes of starting a fire. Stick with torpedoes and dive bombs as long as the reserves last.

Also you need to be selective on what flank or ship you're targeting, you can't do everything at once and need to rely on your team to take care of themselves for certain tasks or ships.

[PVE]
Members
563 posts
10,581 battles
22 minutes ago, Vader_Sama said:

Also you need to be selective on what flank or ship you're targeting, you can't do everything at once and need to rely on your team to take care of themselves for certain tasks or ships.

FWIW, having played a fair number of games with you, I know you try to take care of the things that are harder for the rest of the team. That really helps, to have a backup in case the team ends up out of position (eg someone getting zapped by enemy ships) 

[TX]
Members
1,101 posts
19,559 battles
On 6/8/2019 at 8:15 PM, Joe_918145 said:

The rewards for the average battle are not worth the time spent IMO.  Especially with Honor and Glory right now, I feel I can do better playing multiple mid-tier co-op battles.

And, if I want to be frustrated with my team mates, then I can always go play Ranked.  :Smile_smile:

Fully agree.

[ARGSY]
Members
21,562 posts
15,643 battles
On 6/8/2019 at 3:45 PM, Joe_918145 said:

Especially with Honor and Glory right now, I feel I can do better playing multiple mid-tier co-op battles.

Agree, although I tend to spam Salem and Minotaur a lot because almost every battle is a win and every win is a guaranteed 40 points. Gets you there faster.

Random battles or scenarios can bring huge gains in one go, but it's all too easy for things to go terribly wrong and then there go your win points, and unlike some directives, this event doesn't reward damage without kills.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

Sign in to follow this