You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SJ_Sailer

Teamwork without a Leader - Suggestions?

25 comments in this topic

[MHG]
Members
883 posts
5,176 battles

How many battles have we been in where one team takes all 3 caps in the opening minutes while the other team is sailing all over the place?

Herding Cats is even more difficult without someone giving direction.  One nice thing of MMM (someone please provide a link, I changed computers and can't find it anymore) you had a general idea of who to follow and who to ignore.

Any suggestions for WG that could help provide a bit more team strategy or at least some team direction?  Maybe the top 2 MMM stat leaders get special color text so you know the person chatting know what they are talking about?  Maybe a special team strategy WOWS course or test that you have to pass that give them a special "CO" privileges.

How many people would listen if a certified "Team Leader" gave directions?  I know I would if I had faith in their qualifications.

Just thinking outside the box.

Thanks.

[MUDDX]
Banned
8,144 posts
23,173 battles

Be the leader. Dump the MM monitor and never use one again.

Be bored all you want knucklehead!

• Boring 1

Members
5,417 posts
10,467 battles

There is no way to know a persons 'qualifications' to follow them.  A newer player learning the game may be a fine strategist and perhaps those with a high 'MM rank' has had a lot of help being on winning teams but really doe snot know strategy.  And what about those in OP ships where strategy means a lot less than actual knowledge?

Members
636 posts

My experience has been that if you try to lead in-game, you're likely to get verbally shot by your own team. Everyone's an expert, and no one listens to anything.

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
10,570 posts
18,110 battles

When I was new here on the forums I suggested that teams pick a leader, from the reactions I got, I'm lucky to even be on the forums still.

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,874 posts
11,649 battles
1 hour ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

This^

[SALVO]
Members
25,460 posts
27,431 battles
2 hours ago, SJ_Sailer said:

How many battles have we been in where one team takes all 3 caps in the opening minutes while the other team is sailing all over the place?

Herding Cats is even more difficult without someone giving direction.  One nice thing of MMM (someone please provide a link, I changed computers and can't find it anymore) you had a general idea of who to follow and who to ignore.

Any suggestions for WG that could help provide a bit more team strategy or at least some team direction?  Maybe the top 2 MMM stat leaders get special color text so you know the person chatting know what they are talking about?  Maybe a special team strategy WOWS course or test that you have to pass that give them a special "CO" privileges.

How many people would listen if a certified "Team Leader" gave directions?  I know I would if I had faith in their qualifications.

Just thinking outside the box.

Thanks.

1. Just google Match Making Monitor.  Not sure why that was so hard to figure out.

2. Who would follow a designated team leader in randoms?  I sure wouldn't.

You want team work without a leader, I suggest doing things like pinging (using the F3 canned message) badly wounded enemy ships for your team so that they will hopefully focus their fire on those wounded ships.  I also use F3 to point out high value targets like pretty much any DD.  Catching an enemy glass cannon in the open is also worth calling for focus fire.

But in the end, if your team insists on playing like rotten potatoes, there's not a bloody thing you can do about it.

[115TH]
[115TH]
Members
73 posts
14,974 battles

Yea pretty simple. In Ranked it works like this:  No Plan, No Win. That usually gets the ball rolling.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,536 posts
12,810 battles

be a force multiplier.  Pick someone who looks like they are doing something useful and support them.

[115TH]
[115TH]
Members
73 posts
14,974 battles
4 minutes ago, crzyhawk said:

be a force multiplier.  Pick someone who looks like they are doing something useful and support them. 

+1.

Leading elements always need the help if they are trying to be useful.

[BTLST]
Members
663 posts
10,431 battles

I don't know the answer to this problem.   I do believe it is one of the problems that, if solved, would contribute greatly to encouraging newer players to keep on playing in our game.    All of us have seen a new player or a sincere player ask, "Plan?"   In return to that sincere and simple request, we have all seen the sarcastic, even personal attacks, unleashed on him/her by other players.   Certainly, it leaves a bitter and lasting memory with the player who asked that simple question.    There is far too many of those who always seem to hurl their vindictive, bitter, and demeaning comments at every chance and it is detrimental to the game!  Believing in their superiority they seem to have forgotten they were once new.    Instead of choosing to be better than those who abused them they have simply become a clone of those negative players.   Yes, I fully expect to receive a healthy dump of it for making this statement but none of them have a harpoon that will piece my old hide!    

When I was a youngster I was taught, "Sticks and Stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me!"

[115TH]
[115TH]
Members
73 posts
14,974 battles
3 minutes ago, dbw86 said:

I don't know the answer to this problem.   I do believe it is one of the problems that, if solved, would contribute greatly to encouraging newer players to keep on playing in our game.    All of us have seen a new player or a sincere player ask, "Plan?"   In return to that sincere and simple request, we have all seen the sarcastic, even personal attacks, unleashed on him/her by other players.   Certainly, it leaves a bitter and lasting memory with the player who asked that simple question.    There is far too many of those who always seem to hurl their vindictive, bitter, and demeaning comments at every chance and it is detrimental to the game!  Believing in their superiority they seem to have forgotten they were once new.    Instead of choosing to be better than those who abused them they have simply become a clone of those negative players.   Yes, I fully expect to receive a healthy dump of it for making this statement but none of them have a harpoon that will piece my old hide!    

When I was a youngster I was taught, "Sticks and Stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me!" 

Now I think the term is "Hate Speech" or simply referred to as "Toxic". The moral meaning of the past seems to be lost with Culture Relativism.

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,878 posts
11,515 battles

stop looking at stats it will just make you salty. Best way to have leadership in a game is to take it. F3 targets that need to be focused. f3 ships that need support. In truth leadership is more then saying lets go here its about directing the flow of battle. So play a cv Kappa.

[A-D-F]
[A-D-F]
Members
2,309 posts

Ahhh yes, MMM, the "I started looking for someone to blame my loss on before I even played the match," app.

[WOLFG]
Members
30,708 posts
9,292 battles
4 hours ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

Or don't be the leader, just fill in.

Find somebody who looks like they know what they're doing (or is doing something you also think should be done) and help them.

If you see somebody pushing a stalled car, you just walk up and start pushing. Let him worry about steering and stopping. You don't need anyone to tell you to do that.

[WOLFG]
Members
30,708 posts
9,292 battles
54 minutes ago, dbw86 said:

Me too, but then I got better at weaponising them......

Besides, when I was a youngster, drinking and driving was ok, everybody smoked in the house and around their kids, nobody wore seatbelts, it was perfectly acceptable to get a girl drunk and take advantage of her, as long as she didn't say no emphatically......as I got older, I realised that there was a lot that the people teaching me were ignorant of, and that a bad situation wasn't necessarily the victim's fault.

Edited by Skpstr
  • Cool 1

[YIKES]
Members
1,733 posts
13,706 battles

Idk how I feel about that idea and I don’t want to have to go into every match and tell people what to do. On the flip side, everyone has seen that 45%er tell people what to do at the start and he cries/screams at people who don’t listen to his calls...

[WOLFG]
Members
961 posts

Just pick your own plan and announce it, others may choose to follow or help you.  Think of it this way.  Put ten people in a room and tell them to pick a leader and you will be there all day.

Members
1,165 posts

We have random players in operations who seem to play as a team.

Maybe it is because of the commanders orders of what needs to be done.

In random battles there is no Commander or set directives, 24 players who by their own choice do what they have experienced by playing a map or mode many times.

Random mode is a  50/50 gut reaction. 

Start of battle player decides where he thinks is the best position for his ship and goes there, multiply this by 24. You see what this is?

Maybe it is time to make Random more like operations where each team has a set directive with a three mission goal each team has different goals.

The battle will never play the same because of the different goals set by the UI,for each battle you enter.

As the teams set out to do the missions is where the true surprise attack or defence comes into play.

A team can only win if the three missions were completed before the last ship is lost.

[BFBTW]
Members
4,181 posts
9,581 battles
2 hours ago, JustAdapt said:

Idk how I feel about that idea and I don’t want to have to go into every match and tell people what to do. On the flip side, everyone has seen that 45%er tell people what to do at the start and he cries/screams at people who don’t listen to his calls...

My experience is the loudest shot callers are almost always 45%ers or worse.

[PVE]
Members
20,020 posts
12,714 battles
8 hours ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

This in spades ^^^^

:Smile_honoring:

[-CFI-]
Members
332 posts
3,464 battles

It's not as bad during the week or late at night. I think there's a higher percentage of people who either know what they're doing or are willing to work together on at those times.

Weekend afternoons? Nothing but salted potatoes.